Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

OAquinas posted:

The worst part of all this? Someone's going to have to ping the OP to change the title when 1.0 comes out to 50% Fratricide, 50% Sorocide.
We've usually gotten new threads with major new releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

shovelbum posted:

Who needs a torch drive anyway.

Pffft, you're just using raw nuclear explosions. That mod should include a Nuclear Shaped Charge upgrade. :jeb:

For bonus :stonk:, read the part on Casaba Howitzers.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
A forced reboot by windows update ruined my second attempt at going a lightyear, after I'd traveled more than half a trillion kilometers. :(

Now I have a chance to make an even faster ship, though. Anyone know if there's a good way to stage xenon tanks that doesn't involve manually turning the flow on and off?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ol qwerty bastard posted:

A forced reboot by windows update ruined my second attempt at going a lightyear, after I'd traveled more than half a trillion kilometers. :(

Now I have a chance to make an even faster ship, though. Anyone know if there's a good way to stage xenon tanks that doesn't involve manually turning the flow on and off?

Xenon respects decouplers to some degree.

quote:

Drawing Rules
  • Containers get assigned priority according to number of decouplers or separators between them and ship's root part
  • Containers with greatest priority (number of decouplers and separators between them and root part) are drawn first
  • Resource is drawn evenly (equal amount) from all containers which are enabled, contain the resource, and are on the same priority level
  • Drawing from containers with lower priority only starts when all containers with higher priority are completely depleted
What is NOT involved
  • Launch clamps do not count as decouplers
  • Docking ports play no role
  • Struts and fuel pipes play no role
  • Parts without fuel crossfeed play no role
  • Placement of engines plays no role
  • Orientation of decouplers plays no role
  • Staging setup plays no role

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 23, 2015

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
Huh. The more you know! Thanks.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Pet pieve/feature request: in the exit menu for the space center (where you select buildings), add a "quit game" button instead of having to go to main menu and quit from there. It's a hassle.

Additionally it would be nice if this feature was also available in the in-game esc menu.

edit: I've been looking for mods and I've noticed that they're scattered around - usually it's on curse, github and kerbalstuff. Are any of these unreliable and what's the deal with only uploading mods on one or 2 of these?

double nine fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Feb 23, 2015

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What's the delta-v you should aim for with a SSTO spaceplane? My general strategy is to get to about 22,000m and cruise up to 1300m/s and then switch to closed cycle rockets for the last 1000m/s. That doesn't seem to work out very well for me, maybe I'm doing things wrong.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Hadlock posted:

What's the delta-v you should aim for with a SSTO spaceplane? My general strategy is to get to about 22,000m and cruise up to 1300m/s and then switch to closed cycle rockets for the last 1000m/s. That doesn't seem to work out very well for me, maybe I'm doing things wrong.

You should be good at least in vanilla. What are you doing for that last leg? I usually point to like 60º and it works.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I just tried installing the CKAN mod manager - what is the meaning behind the "AD" mark (in the "installed" column) in the mod list? As far as I can tell these are mods that I had installed before I tried messing with CKAN? Does this mean that the manager won't update it? Does it mean the mod can't uninstall them should I choose to?

I can't find information on that indicator anywhere.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

double nine posted:

I just tried installing the CKAN mod manager - what is the meaning behind the "AD" mark (in the "installed" column) in the mod list? As far as I can tell these are mods that I had installed before I tried messing with CKAN? Does this mean that the manager won't update it? Does it mean the mod can't uninstall them should I choose to?

I can't find information on that indicator anywhere.

I had this same thing - I made a copy of my GameData folder, removed the original folder, and closed and restarted CKAN. Hit "Refresh" in the top left, and then check-box the mods you already had and then hit Go To Changes. This completely fixed the issues CKAN was having.

EDIT: AD = AutoDetected... from the Support forums:

quote:

Think of those checkboxes as a Yes/No toggle:

Check in the box under Installed: Mod is installed on your current KSP instance
No check in box under Installed: Mod not installed via CKAN
AD where check box should be under Installed: Auto-detected by CKAN, you probably manually installed these.

No box visible under Update, just a dash ( - ): No current update available for download
Box visible but not checked under Update: Update available, but not selected for installation
Check in box under Update: Update queued for install, click the "Go to Changes" button on top of the CKAN app to get to the update interface. From the update interface, click the "Apply" button on the bottom-right corner of the window to apply the update.

Once you UPDATE a mod, the box under the Update column will disappear and be replaced by a dash ( - ) signifying there is no longer an update to download.

Otacon fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Feb 23, 2015

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Space is hard.

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder
So I decided it's time to make my own LS mod. It's pretty core to my stuff and while TAC-LS rocks (and is pretty darn ubiquitous) there are a few rough spots I have been considering lately.

Specifically, there's always a weird space during update time where I am stuck with an out of date LS mod. Usually it just works, but sometimes there are issues. Also, it's a bit lossy so I have to do some gymnastics to account for it in MKS/OKS. Oh - and for clarity - I will still have TAC-LS support in MKS/OKS, same as I have ECLSS and Snacks support.

So my thought is this, and tossing out the theorycraft because you folks provide good feedback.

First - an abstracted single resource input - 'supplies'. Which covers everything from packaged food, water, etc. through toothbrushes and fresh undies. Pretty much all of the stuff people need to keep, well, supplied.

Second - a waste product. Dumped by default, not even included as a storage option by default (so normally you see only the one resource). But provided so people can make greenhouses and stuff (this is what I will do with MKS).

Lastly. EC usage. This will either be static, or may potentially scale - the idea being that it takes less EC to maintain environmental systems on Duna than it does on Moho or Eeloo. But basically covers the scrubbers, environmental controls, etc.

It will be assumed that this number includes basic recycling of water/oxygen built into capsules. So no twiddly recycler bits. All capsules get some supply storage built in, and supplies will be optimized to be a round, easy to calculate unit. The only extra part/parts will be some LS storage containers, probably in the form of a radial part, since odds are they will be tossed inside of a service module.

Now... the effects. Basically, 6h without EC or 15 days without supplies, bad things happen. In 'hard' mode, this bad thing is death. In not-so-hard mode, I'm thinking of making your Kerbals very grouchy - basically, they won't want to EVA, and you will lose all of your skill bonuses until they are resupplied (so imagine suddenly having no SAS as you're trying to land after that two year Jool trip...).

In a nutshell - single resource, recycling option, lethal and non-leathal penalty choices, low part count, highly abstracted.

Thoughts?

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Maxmaps posted:

I braced myself for the worst considering the current climate and nothing has happened so far, so consider me really happy.

Rabble rabble ponytail eyelashes standards of beauty. It's a good design. I have an OCD nightmare whenever I consider anyone going into space with long hair, so I'm not a fan of that. But compared to the general crop of fanart? It's perfect. Good job.

Thesoro posted:

RAPIERs are way way way more efficient than aerospikes while the craft is in atmosphere, and somewhat less efficient while the craft is in space. SSTOs that make use of RAPIERs usually try to gain as much horizontal speed as possible while in atmosphere, then finish off the orbit with the engine in rocket mode. To facilitate this, they often use tons and tons of air intakes to make the jet engine operate at unrealistically high altitudes.

With enough air intakes, it's very nearly possible to get RAPIERs into orbit by themselves. I think I've seen someone get to 2km/s on RAPIERs alone.

I don't really see a problem though, as the difficulty is still great enough to convey the sense of why SSTOs haven't happened IRL.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

The life support unit should be "snacks".

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

RoverDude posted:

So I decided it's time to make my own LS mod. It's pretty core to my stuff and while TAC-LS rocks (and is pretty darn ubiquitous) there are a few rough spots I have been considering lately.

How do you intend to match the simplicity of this against the complexity of the MKS life support bits? I'm fairly sure you've already thought of this...

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

revdrkevind posted:

The life support unit should be "snacks".
There's already a simple life support mod that uses snacks though.

It's called "Snacks!" :v:

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

revdrkevind posted:

I have an OCD nightmare whenever I consider anyone going into space with long hair, so I'm not a fan of that.
You must really dislike Karen Nyberg then. Nearly every mission she flew she had really long hair.

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder

Brovine posted:

How do you intend to match the simplicity of this against the complexity of the MKS life support bits? I'm fairly sure you've already thought of this...

Yep, I have ;) Probably via the same intermediary resources, and simplifying a few bits while still allowing TAC-LS to work properly.

And Snacks has been kinda taken as a mod name and resource name, and I don't want to be a jerky-jerk and nab it.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

I appreciate the consideration given to parts count. This is the biggest weakness of the modded game and you have really avoided high parts counts in a lot of your mods. It's appreciated.

I think the system is basically a good idea for a life support mod, but I am curious as to how it will interact with the ISRU mechanics in MKS. It will be good to have life support resources separated from industrial resources - no more accidentally cracking all your drinking water for fuel. Considering that this abstracts personal goods as well as food/water/oxygen, will it require parts from the manufacturing side of MKS in addition to the life support side?

I will enjoy not having to manage scrubber parts for water/air. If you want to completely close the loop you need greenhouses etc., but you aren't microing some basic stuff that we're already doing in real life - I think the EC requirements varying are a good idea. Just a thought, maybe you could alter the EC requirements dynamically based on temperature, atmospheric pressure, and gravity. Since everywhere in the game already has these traits, it should allow you not to have to specify additional modifiers per area or whatever.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I've always imagined Kerbals fueling their space addiction with root beer.

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder

shovelbum posted:

<snip>
will it require parts from the manufacturing side of MKS in addition to the life support side?
<snip>
Just a thought, maybe you could alter the EC requirements dynamically based on temperature, atmospheric pressure, and gravity. Since everywhere in the game already has these traits, it should allow you not to have to specify additional modifiers per area or whatever.

I'll likely just handle supplies via the Kerbitat/Aeroponics parts. It's abstract enough that it has a lot of leverage for hand-waving, given that SpareParts cover the other side of the equation. And yeah I like the idea of altering the EC based on the different factors (temp, pressure. etc.) - basically pull it from values I can get in-flight.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
Has anyone used Kibble as a resource name yet?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Station Science uses Kibbals as a resource for its biological experiments.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

RoverDude posted:

I'll likely just handle supplies via the Kerbitat/Aeroponics parts. It's abstract enough that it has a lot of leverage for hand-waving, given that SpareParts cover the other side of the equation. And yeah I like the idea of altering the EC based on the different factors (temp, pressure. etc.) - basically pull it from values I can get in-flight.

Just randomly I've been in a big-ship mood lately, any thoughts towards the idea of all-in-one life support and manufacturing modules for FTT?

Top is your big hydrogen tank, middle is an 8.75m cylinder that tapers to 5m, bottom is all 5 of the large manufacturing units slightly overlapped on FTT cargo racks.

A module that size for manufacturing, one for the life support parts, and a rigid greenhouse and centrifuge would make for awesome huge low-parts-count colony/base/shipyard ships.

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder
@Shovelbum - log a github issue ;)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It would be nice if there was a stage between "fine" and "dead". Like, if supplies are running low you can s
set the station to half rations, extending the time to death but resulting in grumpy Kerbals until relief gets there. Similarly if there's only one or two Kerbals on a giant agricultural station you can set it to Party Central.

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder

Splicer posted:

It would be nice if there was a stage between "fine" and "dead". Like, if supplies are running low you can s
set the station to half rations, extending the time to death but resulting in grumpy Kerbals until relief gets there. Similarly if there's only one or two Kerbals on a giant agricultural station you can set it to Party Central.

I like that idea

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Splicer posted:

With kerbals having levels now, you could perhaps just make it affect those, a poorly fed kerbal works at a lower level.

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder
I am irrationally pleased that 'Overly Attached Kerbal' is a thing...

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Supraluminal posted:

Has anyone used Kibble as a resource name yet?

There's a station science mod that uses kibble (or was it "kibbal"?) as a resource for an animal module, I think.

Edit: remind self to refresh thread before responding. :doh:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

stop with the K_ formula, for the love of god. It's ketting kon ky kerves.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

nielsm posted:

With kerbals having levels now, you could perhaps just make it affect those, a poorly fed kerbal works at a lower level.

Or add some randomized sloppiness to the controls.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

nielsm posted:

I recall some life support mod ages ago where if the supplies ran out the kerbals would hibernate -- they were still alive, but the vessel behaved as if unmanned, i.e. you couldn't EVA, couldn't take crew reports, and couldn't control it at all unless it also had a probe core attached. Dock something with it and start pumping supplies in and they'd wake back up.

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.

RoverDude posted:

I am irrationally pleased that 'Overly Attached Kerbal' is a thing...

That is just the cutest thing.

Also accurate because I forgot to put one on as well.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Resource name: Krunchies

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I think two resources would be more apt, like "air" and "root beer." Air is the sort of thing your Kerbals can't live without; it's a priority that you can't ignore. Root beer the Kerbals can go without for a while before they slip into a diabetic coma die.

EDIT: SERIOUSLY STOP WITH THE K THING

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I rather like the sound of root beer.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

I think that's largely what the electricity usage RD mentioned is meant to abstract. It's to power air scrubbers and stuff so your dudes can breathe/not freeze or boil. It does mean air supply is easily renewable in situ, but it makes one less resource to micromanage.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ToxicFrog posted:

I recall some life support mod ages ago where if the supplies ran out the kerbals would hibernate -- they were still alive, but the vessel behaved as if unmanned, i.e. you couldn't EVA, couldn't take crew reports, and couldn't control it at all unless it also had a probe core attached. Dock something with it and start pumping supplies in and they'd wake back up.
This sounds like a good "easy mode". Your Kerbals have a morale stat which goes up and down based on how well they're being taken care of, with low morale affecting performance. Being completely out of resources causes morale to plummet rapidly, and if it hits 0 the Kerbals sulk until you cheer them up with fresh stuff.

Hard is the same, except morale is labelled health and hitting 0 means you die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
Perhaps some resource combination of bread, milk and toilet paper.

(I blame the recent snow for this suggestion)