Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Cara Ellison's latest S.EXE article on there is pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Jimbot posted:

You're not wrong. Christ, that brings back memories.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Hey, Chris and Jake, I am just curious about your response; do you guys think that there should be some degree of consumer advocacy in the enthusiast press. I can agree with your points about the tone and intent behind the article, and with other comments made about it; but I still agree with the intent, that consumers are upset with the product that Molyneux "sold" them and want to hold him accountable for the misinformation he gave. Do you think that websites should have features like this, though maybe in a different form or tone.

Chris Remo
Sep 11, 2005

umalt posted:

Hey, Chris and Jake, I am just curious about your response; do you guys think that there should be some degree of consumer advocacy in the enthusiast press. I can agree with your points about the tone and intent behind the article, and with other comments made about it; but I still agree with the intent, that consumers are upset with the product that Molyneux "sold" them and want to hold him accountable for the misinformation he gave. Do you think that websites should have features like this, though maybe in a different form or tone.

While I don't see consumer advocacy as the principle responsibility of journalism, yes I definitely think that the mismanagement of Godus and Molyneux's pattern of irresponsible overpromising is a completely valid subject for reporting.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

the talent deficit posted:

again, what does it really matter that rps did a lovely interview? why is it a matter of concern to anyone other than the interviewee (and i guess potential interviewees) and people who need to worry about how readers will react to the hostility?

A podcast composed of people who have had careers as game journalists and game developers are going to care about how a prominent journalistic outlet conducts an interview with a prominent developer. We're going to have things to say!

I believe I have given ample time on the show over the years to my opinion of Molyneux from the perspective of a potential customer of his games (in short: I will never buy one again and I would never recommend one to anyone). I do not believe the conversation was related to being pro- or anti- consumer, or protective of anyone's interests on that axis. That is just not what we were talking about. I feel like the thing we're actually being taken to task for is not dedicating airtime to viewing the RPS piece through a pro- or anti- consumer lens, but I think that would have been a waste of airtime because holy crap aren't all those angles self evident?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Jake, I am highly disappointed as developers you guys didn't talk about Square Enix offering up the Gex IP and all the great rules associated with obtaining it.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Man, there's "overpromising" and then there's "literally saying anything with no intention of backing it up, plus promising one thing and then doing the complete opposite as soon as the money comes in".

But I feel like I'm in this weird dual world where I'm both nitpicking like an arsehole but also trying to point out this huge disconnect... argh. I'll stop.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Tae posted:

Jake, I am highly disappointed as developers you guys didn't talk about Square Enix offering up the Gex IP and all the great rules associated with obtaining it.

I believe Gex content will appear this week.

Chris Remo
Sep 11, 2005

Thirsty Dog posted:

Man, there's "overpromising" and then there's "literally saying anything with no intention of backing it up, plus promising one thing and then doing the complete opposite as soon as the money comes in".

But I feel like I'm in this weird dual world where I'm both nitpicking like an arsehole but also trying to point out this huge disconnect... argh. I'll stop.

Again, I'm not actually taking issue with anyone's objections to Molyneux's behavior.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

When I first read the Gex and Fear Effect stuff I was like "oh, that's kind or neat of Square to be taking community ideas on where they'd like to see these old franchises go or if they want to see them come back" then got to all the royalty stuff and realize they want the community to have their own teams develop the games while Square just sits back and takes their profits. That's just bananas to me.

Though I wouldn't mind seeing Fear Effect come back. I liked the world of those games and wouldn't mind like a proper stealth/action game with less insta-deaths.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Combine the two IPs, The Gex Effectx.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

ja2ke posted:

A podcast composed of people who have had careers as game journalists and game developers are going to care about how a prominent journalistic outlet conducts an interview with a prominent developer. We're going to have things to say!

I believe I have given ample time on the show over the years to my opinion of Molyneux from the perspective of a potential customer of his games (in short: I will never buy one again and I would never recommend one to anyone). I do not believe the conversation was related to being pro- or anti- consumer, or protective of anyone's interests on that axis. That is just not what we were talking about. I feel like the thing we're actually being taken to task for is not dedicating airtime to viewing the RPS piece through a pro- or anti- consumer lens, but I think that would have been a waste of airtime because holy crap aren't all those angles self evident?

i'm not trying to take anyone to task. like i said, i like and have nothing but respect for your work on the the podcast. in this specific instance the dismissal of the interview as a hit piece (which it was) and as non-news (which it may have been for you but definitely is not for most of the audience otherwise molyneux wouldn't have been able to raise north of half a million dollars) played as tone policing. you seemed dismissive of the content - which is, if nothing else, revealing of how in denial and/or duplicitious peter molyneux is about his repeated failures when it comes to promoting his games - because of it's form

anyways, i didn't mean to turn this into any kind of attack on the podcast or it's hosts and i apologize if it seemed it was

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'd argue this is slightly bigger than just Molyneux; his history aside, the interview would never have been a big a deal as it is if it hadn't been tied to a Kickstarter project. It lends so much more credence to the consumer advocacy angle, which is why everyone is so riled up about it. If Molyneux had made Fable 4 internally and overpromised and underdelivered, no one would give a poo poo, just like no one did when it happened with Fable 3.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

a minor games journalist approaching an interview in a pretty lovely manner isn't really a problem. people will stop agreeing to interviews with him. maybe he'll get fired for being bad at his job and he'll have to do something else. it's not going to ruin all of games journalism and pr for everyone else

You know there are a lot of (dumb) people out there who see this interview as a paradigm shift in games reporting, right? You can expect plenty more idiots to adopt the exact same interview "technique" until they realise that a) very few people have Molyneux's compulsive poo poo-talking reflex, so amateurish bullshit of Walker's calibre isn't gonna work, and b) most interview subjects won't allow themselves to be put in that position to begin with. It's gonna be a trainwreck, I just hope it's a funny one.

EDIT: I don't mean to suggest that it warrants the amount of kvetching done on the podcast, which I didn't listen to, just that there's a little more to it that "John Walker was too mean!' or whatever.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 22, 2015

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

again, what does it really matter that rps did a lovely interview? why is it a matter of concern to anyone other than the interviewee (and i guess potential interviewees) and people who need to worry about how readers will react to the hostility?
It matters if you actually want anything more from games journalology than product reviews or if you want it held to basic standards of professionalism.

Joey Donuts
Feb 19, 2004

My code word will be: Endurance.
It's kind of a shame to me that as a result of all of this, a pretty decent game (Fable 2) has become a member of the 10 year Molyneux Anthology of Failure.

It makes me wonder what the success/failure and critical reception of his games would have been if he never made those big claims about them, as it seems to forever color their quality in a lot of people's eyes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That's just the thing, it's not that the games were necessarily bad. While I've not played them, I've heard good things about Fable 1 and 2. It's that since Black and White, every single thing Molyneux has worked on has been "revolutionary". And not just described that way like a lot of marketing says for every game ever, but going into very specific detail on things that never, ever makes it off the drawing board if they were even there in the first place, lying about core gameplay mechanics, etc.

I feel like "Molyneuxing" is becoming more prevalent in the last year or so with Watch Dogs, Destiny, The Order and more doing this poo poo. It might be a thing that a lot of marketers do, but Molyneux was absolutely far and away the one to bring it into the spotlight; literally on stage.

snuggleshrub
Jul 2, 2010
Molyneux really was ahead of the modern curve of not delivering on all of your promises. A true innovator.

Fable 1 and Black and White, the last games I picked up he was attached to were pretty okay and my first hand experience ends there. I did hear a lot of good stuff about Fable 2.

Edit: One really great thing in fable was that stats would effect what your character looked like physically. I wish more games scaled your 18 str fighter to look the part.

snuggleshrub fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 23, 2015

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Combine the two IPs, The Gex Effectx.

Make My Video — Gex-N-Effect for Sega CD. http://youtu.be/Z1xWhZ1a4V8

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jimbot posted:

Is there any particular reason Cara Ellison trys to shoehorn sexuality into every games related article she produces?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Ramagamma posted:

Is there any particular reason Cara Ellison trys to shoehorn sexuality into every games related article she produces?

S.EXE is explicitly a column about sexuality in games. So maybe that's the reason.

Why do you think a woman writing about sex is suspect?

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Feb 23, 2015

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pinterest Mom posted:

S.EXE is explicitly a column about sexuality in games. So maybe that's the reason.

Why do you think a woman writing about sex is suspect?

I dunno if I would say it's suspect. I just find it amusing that she's after click bait by trying to shoehorn sex into every games related article she writes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That's literally what s.exe is about dude

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I don't know if I would call it suspect, I just have suspicions is all I'm saying guys.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Ramagamma posted:

I dunno if I would say it's suspect. I just find it amusing that she's after click bait by trying to shoehorn sex into every games related article she writes.

You think that an article in Rock Paper Shotgun celebrating a character in twenty year old video game Full Throttle is clickbait?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ramagamma posted:

S.exe is a pun

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
If anybody here was waiting for it, we've started our coverage of Lords of the Fallen on Bonfireside Chat.

http://duckfeed.tv/bsc/57

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
I had no idea Cracked.com was related to the print magazine. Its like finding out the mass transit system for the Bay Area is actually the artistic spin off of the Simpsons character.

Joey Donuts
Feb 19, 2004

My code word will be: Endurance.

Ramagamma posted:

Honestly if you follow her writing at all she seems to be a very sex-positive person. She enjoys being a public figure that's open about sex and sexuality. Combine that with gaming and game culture and you have an interesting persona that makes her a unique voice. It's not about shoehorning or clickbaiting, it's about finding a niche. There are some writers out there with agendas, and they will force their narrative into every article they can write and it's genuinely infuriating, but she's just exploring a specific topic as it pertains to games.

I think it's pretty cool.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Fair enough, I just find the idea of creating a series of articles tying together 2 things as unrelated as sexuality and gaming exceptionally try-hard.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I dunno, maybe try reading the articles before dismissing them out of hand?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Literally every single aspect of human existance has some relation to sexuality.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ramagamma posted:

Fair enough, I just find the idea of creating a series of articles tying together 2 things as unrelated as sexuality and gaming exceptionally try-hard.

Fair enough, I just find the idea of creating a series of posts talking about two things as unrelated as you and sexuality exceptionally try-hard.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

Fair enough, I just find the idea of creating a series of posts talking about two things as unrelated as you and sexuality exceptionally try-hard.
:chanpop:

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Invictus posted:

That's so funny. I take it you are knocking back blow job offers from promiscuous young women bedazzled by your array of terrible Japanese cartoons for children and sculptures of part female, part male animals with tentacles for genitalia?

Lucky you.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Please, let's all calm down. Sex isn't real, it can't hurt you.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Ramagamma posted:

That's so funny. I take it you are knocking back blow job offers from promiscuous young women bedazzled by your array of terrible Japanese cartoons for children and sculptures of part female, part male animals with tentacles for genitalia?

Lucky you.

i only have sex with women who aren't into videogames

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ramagamma posted:

Lucky you.
me IRL

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Anime is for perverts and simpletons. Which are you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I've always thought of myself as a simpleton first, but i'm also proud of my pervert heritage

• Locked thread