Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

BIG HORNY COW posted:

Did I say motorcycle? I meant 4Runner with only one lovely, dim headlight. It's pitch black and pouring rain - kind of difficult to judge the oncoming vehicle for speed and distance

Yeah.

THAT'S WHY YOU SLOW DOWN AND ASSESS EVERY TURN CAREFULLY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
If having a headlight out causes you to misjudge distance, you should probably stop driving.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
My neighbor has been trying to back up a large RV trailer into her driveway for almost an hour now. I am not kidding. It has been at least 70 minutes now.

I just went out and offered to help because I have to get my car out. She declined, stating " I don't trust anyone else driving my suv!!"

I'm kind of at a loss for what to do. I'm almost ready to call the cops, but that just seems like an awfully assholeish move.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

nitrogen posted:

I'm kind of at a loss for what to do.

Video recording + YouTube.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Vanagoon posted:

Linking because it's a WebM -

Your daily reminder to not drive like an rear end
http://imgur.com/gallery/HuumtMR

Guy lane splits at high speeds between slow moving cars, eats it rather dramatically.

Maybe a Californigoon can weigh in on this (blarzgh, maybe) but why, in the most nanny-ish of all the nanny-states, is lane sharing by motorcycles legal? I remember the first time I went out there and had dozens of cycles blowing by us on the 405 by Bel Air while stuck in 20-30mph traffic (in the rain, nonetheless). I couldn't believe that it was legal and had to consult the interwebs to satisfy my skepticism.

I've seen a number of near accidents and a lot of questionable riding judgment by cyclists lane sharing and wonder how this got started and became accepted legally.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
It lets the bikes filter through and lessens traffic overall. It may also be a holdover from the days of air cooled bikes where idling would cause them to overheat, but I'm not certain about that.

The thing is, you're only supposed to filter through at like 5-10 mph over the speed of the cars, not as fast as you can go. That's like idling in first gear if traffic is at a stop.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
Yeah lane splitting is legal and works ok* for the most part. The DMV has general rules like "only in slow moving traffic", "split the left-most" lanes, and "proceed at your own peril".

*This is entirely subjective and depends on your value of human life. In 5 years I've witnessed more cyclists surf concrete than I have car accidents in my entire life.

Look twice for motorcycles.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Letting bikes split is just a way to ease congestion cause there is no reason for them to be taking up a spot in a lane when they could be putting past.

That kind of splitting is another issue tho. The speed differential was way too high and (obviously) the rider did not have enough time to react to the car changing lanes. I'm not in Cali but if I was I would never split more than 10 mph faster than traffic and only if traffic was under 30 mph, otherwise you might as well just slot in, it's not worth the risk of a car changing lanes in front of you.

I'd guess the riders in that clip were doing at least 30mph faster than traffic.

I'd be kinda afraid to split if they made it legal here because the only time I've had someone try to run me off the road was when I split to the front of the line at a red light. It wasn't right, but in my defense all of the drivers at the light were distracted morons and I had sat thru 2 green cycles without making it thru the intersection because of dummies looking at the phones/radios/whatever and not going. After the second green went to red I said 'eff it' and filtered to the front of the light. If they made it legal you'd need a massive campaign to notify the public. I've heard riders in Cali say they had to argue with drivers about whether splitting was legal because even some residents there were unaware.

The rest of the world seems to manage it fine somehow. American Exceptionalism :911:

nsaP fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 21, 2015

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Uthor posted:

The thing is, you're only supposed to filter through at like 5-10 mph over the speed of the cars, not as fast as you can go. That's like idling in first gear if traffic is at a stop.

Every time I see a biker lane splitting heavy traffic at 80 mph I just think somewhere a lucky patient is about to get a new organ

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Every time I see a biker lane splitting heavy traffic at 80 mph I just think somewhere a lucky patient is about to get a new organ

My father was a paramedic for many years and he would always say, "never do what that person is doing, not at that speed" when he would see a lane splitter (in Oregon where it is not legal). He then worked for a tissue bank (skin and bone transplants) and he would then say things like, "keep going, you are keeping me in business!" Especially if the guy was only wearing a helmet for protective gear.

Now that I ride a motorcycle, I rarely split lanes except to filter to the front at lights, in California where it is legal.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

bigman.50grand posted:

gently caress heads using a placard for princess parking is lovely and they deserve all the fines and public ridicule we can throw at them.

But how can we fine and/or publicly ridicule them if you're not allowed to question a person's handicap status regardless of what you may witness them doing?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There are people who are allowed to. They're called cops.

If this bothers you so much, become one and start harassing handicapped people driving vehicles you disprove of them using. If it's an egregious offense like trucknuts or a fart cannon, you can scream at them to get out of the vehicle and walk backwards towards you, and then shoot them when they can't :911:

edit: Here's one that will drive you over the edge, some states have handicap motorcycle plates.

If they can't climb in and out of a truck, they can't climb over a motorcycle, or balance it at a stop light. Grab your badge and go lay a beating on em, Goej.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 21, 2015

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

InitialDave posted:

I think he means that it looked like a far-off bike, rather than a closer car.

Yes, this.

I wasn't trying to cut anyone off. I came to a complete stop and signaled that I was making a left and the only other traffic appeared to be a motorcycle that was far enough away to safely take the turn. Normally bikes would be out in February in Alaska, but it's been in the mid to high 40s all month and they're out there.

We don't have any kind of vehicle inspection here so it's on the operator to make sure all their poo poo is working properly. There are THREE auto parts stores in this small town and all of them stock sealed beam headlights for a 90s Toyota.

If there was an accident I wouldn't have been at fault because driving at night in a rainstorm with only a dim passenger side headlight is pretty much case closed on who was loving it up.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BIG HORNY COW posted:

Yes, this.

I wasn't trying to cut anyone off. I came to a complete stop and signaled that I was making a left and the only other traffic appeared to be a motorcycle that was far enough away to safely take the turn. Normally bikes would be out in February in Alaska, but it's been in the mid to high 40s all month and they're out there.

We don't have any kind of vehicle inspection here so it's on the operator to make sure all their poo poo is working properly. There are THREE auto parts stores in this small town and all of them stock sealed beam headlights for a 90s Toyota.

If there was an accident I wouldn't have been at fault because driving at night in a rainstorm with only a dim passenger side headlight is pretty much case closed on who was loving it up.

Considering the headlights likely wouldn't survive t-boning you, it would be come he said she said as to whether or not they were working before the crash.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
The handicapped are a subclass of society that we are obligated to pity. But how can we do that if they have cars that are more fun than ours? I propose that all handicapped subhumans should only be allowed to buy Geo Metros.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Powershift posted:

Considering the headlights likely wouldn't survive t-boning you, it would be come he said she said as to whether or not they were working before the crash.
True, but there was another cab behind me waiting to get out of the parking lot so I would have had at least one witness.

We really need to get dash cams in all the cars.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I don't get how a close car with one headlight looks like a far away motorbike

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Powershift posted:

There are people who are allowed to. They're called cops.

Might as well shut down this whole thread if you're going to play the "only the police are allowed to criticize bad drivers/drivers who break the law" card...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

dissss posted:

I don't get how a close car with one headlight looks like a far away motorbike

We need to get our best minds working on this because it could pivotal.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Geoj posted:

Might as well shut down this whole thread if you're going to play the "only the police are allowed to criticize bad drivers/drivers who break the law" card...

But parking a vehicle in a handicapped spot with a valid handicap tag is not a bad driver nor breaking the law.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Geoj posted:

Nobody said only police can criticize. You specifically brought up "Fine" and "Publicly ridicule"

If somebody cuts across 3 lanes without a signal light and almost hits you, it's pretty normal to call them a silly oval office, because it's made obvious by their actions.

Without specifically knowing the circumstances of somebody using a handicap placard, it's impossible to judge whether they are a silly oval office, or somebody attempting to continue enjoying life despite adversity. Climbing up into a lifted truck isn't much more difficult than climbing down into a small car. There are a variety of legitimate issues requiring handicap placards and parking that a lifted truck wouldn't interfere with, or hinder.

You're attempting to defend your right to blindly ridicule handicapped people based on their ability to climb in and out of a truck.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Powershift posted:

Nobody said only police can criticize. You specifically brought up "Fine" and "Publicly ridicule"

Yeah, I "brought it up" in the sense that I quoted someone else who said it's acceptable to fine and publicly ridicule people who use somebody else's tag to park in a handicap spot.

You can go back and check. It's still there, the guy I quoted didn't edit it out.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Geoj posted:

Yeah, I "brought it up" in the sense that I quoted someone else who said it's acceptable to fine and publicly ridicule people who use somebody else's tag to park in a handicap spot.

You can go back and check. It's still there, the guy I quoted didn't edit it out.

You have to be the one to stop posting because he sure isn't.

Oh and don't post a video as a joke, it doesn't go over well.

VVV See?

nsaP fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 22, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Geoj posted:

I wasn't replying to the person you quoted, i was replying to you, you used the word fine, and complained about not being able to interrogate the handicapped. I suggested we should leave that to police, and you then switched your wording to "criticize"

If you want to make fun of the handicapped, go ahead. This isn't the situation to do it. I can't imagine what the proper situation would be, but you're an stubborn rear end in a top hat, i'm sure you'll figure it out.

nsaP posted:

You have to be the one to stop posting because he sure isn't.

Oh and don't post a video as a joke, it doesn't go over well.

Still hurtin, eh? maybe you should start a club for people with sensitive feelings and terrible opinions.You can serve punch and bash cripples and talk trains.

Hermaphrodite
Oct 2, 2004

Luckily, I CAN go fuck myself!
My dad had a handicap plate that he somehow qualified for due to a head injury. I always gave him poo poo about it because he wasn't physically disabled at all, but he was the kind of guy to try to get away with whatever he could. I really felt bad about it one day when a guy with one leg hassled him for taking a handicapped space, his reply was "well the DMV thinks I'm handicapped, so I can use those spaces whenever I want."

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PT6A posted:

let's give people the benefit of the doubt.

That is an excellent method for allowing people to gently caress you right in the rear end on a regular basis.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
I am going to go park in a handicapped spot right now with an expired handicapped plaquard just to make y'all angry.

As to Mr. and Mrs. Trailer, I ended up asking them nicely and they ended up driving around the block so i could get out.

When I came back from getting panic ice-storm provisions they had it backed up onto their driveway.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.
Driving home from a party in the middle of the night, we came across what seemed to be a bicyclist.
Turned out to be three bicyclists with all of one functional lamp between them.
Way to go. No taillights at all and one lovely headlight. At something close to 04:00, on an unlit road with no separate bike lane and an 80kph speed limit.

Suicidal morons.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Powershift posted:

edit: Here's one that will drive you over the edge, some states have handicap motorcycle plates.

Now notice that the bike also has a trailer hitch.

Don Baylor
Oct 24, 2005

Deeters posted:

Now notice that the bike also has a trailer hitch.

A few years back I saw a guy with a custom BMW/sidecar with handicap plates, the Sidecar was for his wheel chair and had a lift on it. Pretty cool guy from chatting with him for a few moments, just touring Alaska on a bike and wheelchair.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

EightBit posted:

If having a headlight out causes you to misjudge distance, you should probably stop driving.
Theres been more than one occurrence where Im basically alone on the highway late at night and suddenly two cars come up over the horizon behind me and Ill freak out for a second because it looks like a single, closer car.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Some redneck looking rear end in a top hat in one of the BMW SUV's.. I don't know how that combo happens but whatever.

He's driving over markings to cut across a parking lot, I'm driving properly in a lane. Fucker barrels around a parked car, notices me, jerks the wheel to avoid a collision. I tap my horn with one of those "hey, wake the gently caress up" deals, he leans on the horn, glares at me, and floors it.

I hate that poo poo, dude hosed up, got caught, just suck it up and move on with life. I sure as poo poo wasn't doing anything wrong.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

BIG HORNY COW posted:

Good luck establishing fault in an accident where both headlights likely would've been shattered.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Am I the only person that always got faked out by those Saturns that had the really closely spaced low beams, so at night they'd look farther away than they actually were?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I have never had any problems gauging distance based on a vehicle's lights, no matter the shape, size or whether or not one was broken. Look twice before turning, always err on the side of caution.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Protocol7 posted:

I have never had any problems gauging distance based on a vehicle's lights, no matter the shape, size or whether or not one was broken. Look twice before turning, always err on the side of caution.

I'm one of those overly cautious people who I'm sure is infuriating to wait behind, but turning out of our parking lot at work to go left, there are telephone poles, trees, and a sign for the complex blocking the view of traffic. You can pull up just far enough that if you don't see a car, you've got enough time to make it across to the northbound lane. But if I'm leaving at night, If I can see the road lit by headlights, I just wait until I can see the car its attached to and wait for them to pass. I know I have plenty of time to get out there because if anything the lit road is saying hey, the car is this far back from the visible area so you know you have time, but there's just something movie-esque about oncoming headlights that triggers caution in my brain, and since I'm in no hurry I just wait. Apologies to people behind me, I am the person you share your office parking lot with.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

davebo posted:

I'm one of those overly cautious people who I'm sure is infuriating to wait behind, but turning out of our parking lot at work to go left, there are telephone poles, trees, and a sign for the complex blocking the view of traffic. You can pull up just far enough that if you don't see a car, you've got enough time to make it across to the northbound lane. But if I'm leaving at night, If I can see the road lit by headlights, I just wait until I can see the car its attached to and wait for them to pass. I know I have plenty of time to get out there because if anything the lit road is saying hey, the car is this far back from the visible area so you know you have time, but there's just something movie-esque about oncoming headlights that triggers caution in my brain, and since I'm in no hurry I just wait. Apologies to people behind me, I am the person you share your office parking lot with.

I have a blind left on my way home from work, turning onto a curve that's blocked by trees and shrubs, you can't see a car until it's right on top of you, and it's marked as a 15MPH curve (on a 35MPH stretch) with Emergency Vehicle Entrance signage due to the firehouse on one of the side streets. Almost every day I take that left turn with nobody in sight someone will come flying around the curve and lay on their horn as I'm getting into my lane like it's MY fault they were doing 40+ around a marked blind corner.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Michael Scott posted:

Good luck establishing fault in an accident where both headlights likely would've been shattered.

I've heard there's a forensic difference between a bulb that broke while it was lit vs. a bulb that broke when it wasn't lit vs. a bulb that had burned out long ago.. but I'm sure the only way this comes about is if there was a fatality or someone felt like spending more on a lawyer than what it would cost out to replace a car out of pocket.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

NoWake posted:

I've heard there's a forensic difference between a bulb that broke while it was lit vs. a bulb that broke when it wasn't lit vs. a bulb that had burned out long ago.. but I'm sure the only way this comes about is if there was a fatality or someone felt like spending more on a lawyer than what it would cost out to replace a car out of pocket.

When the bulb is in tiny little pieces from smashing into something there is no way you can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

And yet somehow the NTSB still gets all worked up about this kind of thing when an airplane crashes.