Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

grimcreaper posted:

I have a bad habit of doing this and then forgetting there actually IS a story, then i get burnt out on playing, quit, and then never finish it.

See, with me, I screw around for hours and hours, chip away at the story, and then continue screwing.

Right now, both activities are linked, since my aim is for ship upgrades... So I can screw around and decorate it more.

Any Mac OS X Apex dungeon co-ordinates? I need to steal their stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I wish items you pick up were automatically added to the 3d printer like how in Animal Crossing New Leaf everything you touch is automatically added to the mail order catalog. Having to bring all your doodads back and run them through the scanner by hand is booorriiing and I like to keep a clean inventory, so I end up trashing a lot of stuff before I even get back to my ship.

Of course, if I could beam down to planets back to the place where I beamed up, maybe I would go back to my ship more often...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

mutata posted:

I wish items you pick up were automatically added to the 3d printer like how in Animal Crossing New Leaf everything you touch is automatically added to the mail order catalog. Having to bring all your doodads back and run them through the scanner by hand is booorriiing and I like to keep a clean inventory, so I end up trashing a lot of stuff before I even get back to my ship.

Of course, if I could beam down to planets back to the place where I beamed up, maybe I would go back to my ship more often...

I actually would love it if there was some sort of intergalactic mail system, where I could order from a catalogue, and/or mail other Starbound players items.

Really, the closer Starbound gets to Animal Crossing, the closer it gets to perfection. You all know it's true.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Don't get my hopes up.

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

mutata posted:

Oh yeah, if we had this, plus (semi)-automatic inventory sorting, and maybe a toggle on the manipulator for when you don't want it to generate thousands of blocks while digging, it would go a long way towards making things feel smoother.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Regarding automatic sorting, there's a mod that proves it's possible. Best case scenario would be that mod getting adopted into the vanilla game, as some have already.
There's also one that I mentioned before that lets you pick up and move containers without dumping their contents all over the ground, so storage can be a breeze.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I actually would love it if there was some sort of intergalactic mail system, where I could order from a catalogue, and/or mail other Starbound players items.

Really, the closer Starbound gets to Animal Crossing, the closer it gets to perfection. You all know it's true.
They did mention a building quest tree that would go alongside the combat/exploration one, in which you could potentially become a mayor/landlord sort of person and build things for people to move into and charge them rent and stuff. So hey who knows, between what they have planned and what modders can do I guess we'll see.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Yeah, and I'm looking forward to this game having some sort of endgame, because I like screwing around and wasting time WAY more when I know there's a story or major goal I should be aiming for (no sarcasm. See also: Skyrim, Shenmue, Just Cause 2)

This, along with being super terrible at even CONSIDERING the thought of 3d block building planning, is why I like the concept of Starbound and Terraria but have never touched minecraft.

Scenery collection would be a lot nicer if you had any way outside of praying to the RNG gods, especially when there are missions for such things that are currently your stopgap for ship size increases. Further problems ensue if you try with another character "Well, I know where I can find a prison sign-oh wait I already grabbed that with another character... and didn't stick if in their 3D printer to obsessively make spares for alternate characters thus bypassing the need to go out and find one in the first place."

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Vib Rib posted:

They did mention a building quest tree that would go alongside the combat/exploration one, in which you could potentially become a mayor/landlord sort of person and build things for people to move into and charge them rent and stuff.

And then you right-click in the wrong place and accidentally murder one of them and your entire village descends into chaos because they can't/forgot to be marked as allies or immune to damage :v:

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
When are we getting teleporters?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
SoonTM

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Section Z posted:

This, along with being super terrible at even CONSIDERING the thought of 3d block building planning, is why I like the concept of Starbound and Terraria but have never touched minecraft.

Scenery collection would be a lot nicer if you had any way outside of praying to the RNG gods, especially when there are missions for such things that are currently your stopgap for ship size increases. Further problems ensue if you try with another character "Well, I know where I can find a prison sign-oh wait I already grabbed that with another character... and didn't stick if in their 3D printer to obsessively make spares for alternate characters thus bypassing the need to go out and find one in the first place."

Scenery collection would also be better if the planets weren't pointlessly huge, which is something that's bothered me since I first played. Like, shouldn't the smallest planets be like, Little Prince sized, and not take multiple minutes to traverse?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Guys, what the hell is this?

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

I just want something simple, like being able to craft a pair of teleporters that go to each other and nothing else. Each pair you craft goes to each other. If you want a bunch you would build a hub.

Inverness fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Feb 22, 2015

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Smash 'em up, collect weaponised gnomes.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Goons, I can't get Illuminated Ores to work, running OS X. What am I doing wrong?

Click for big

Originally, all of those .patch files were in the far-right mods subfolder, but I moved them when it didn't work (and it obviously still doesn't work).

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Goons, I can't get Illuminated Ores to work, running OS X. What am I doing wrong?

Click for big

Originally, all of those .patch files were in the far-right mods subfolder, but I moved them when it didn't work (and it obviously still doesn't work).
Put the tiles folder and IlluminatedOres.modinfo inside a folder called IlluminatedOres

milward
Nov 5, 2009

I use hyperstorage and better storage and admined myself some outpost lockers so most of my storage issues are gone.

Have anyone tried to get the hypernode work with the transmitter node in hyperstorage? The ability to drop a chest and hypernode it to the transmitter chest in my base would solve the final piece of the puzzle.

The modcreator advices against it so I have not tried myself.

Or how hard would it be to create a linked pair of chests like the hypernode does to use as a portable item-teleporter?

I just want to collect all the things.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Inverness posted:

Put the tiles folder and IlluminatedOres.modinfo inside a folder called IlluminatedOres

Thank you, that fixed it. Now, does the folder need to be titled the same thing as the .modinfo file?

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Thank you, that fixed it. Now, does the folder need to be titled the same thing as the .modinfo file?
No. It's a good convention though.

In any case, the only thing that should go in that top level mods directly alongside the "mods_go_here" file is .modpak files.

All others should be their own folders and would normally be packaged that way in their download.

code:
Starbound\giraffe_storage\mods\FullyPackedMod.modpak
Starbound\giraffe_storage\mods\PartialPackedMod\PartialPackedMod.modinfo
Starbound\giraffe_storage\mods\PartialPackedMod\assets.pak
Starbound\giraffe_storage\mods\UnpackedMod\UnpackedMod.modinfo
Starbound\giraffe_storage\mods\UnpackedMod\items
Starbound\giraffe_storage\mods\UnpackedMod\objects
Starbound\giraffe_storage\mods\UnpackedMod\terrain

Inverness fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 22, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Oh my god, I got my first Apex ship upgrade and I need all of the upgrades now. I'm obsessed.

I /admin all the boss fights because I just don't give a poo poo, and I also /admin any annoying-to-get ore that I've already discovered. I'm not quite sure what I really want out of this game, but I'm having fun just getting stuff done and hopping across the galaxy. I'm REALLY looking forward to planet bookmarking; holy poo poo, will that be awesome. No more will I be scared to change my home planet for fear that I'll never find it again. Did CF say that was coming up soonish?

Gene Banana is an excited space-ape.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 23, 2015

VotGs
Dec 15, 2003

Don't mind me.
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/high-powered-laser-drill.2634/

This is now my FAVORITE mod.

Instead of bothering with the matter manipulator, you have a superpowered item you can put into a slot that makes mining easy and quick. If the mini-dungeons underground were less boring/samey, I wouldn't use this, but if I just need a poo poo-ton of ore right away? Bam.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

VotGs posted:

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/high-powered-laser-drill.2634/

This is now my FAVORITE mod.

Instead of bothering with the matter manipulator, you have a superpowered item you can put into a slot that makes mining easy and quick. If the mini-dungeons underground were less boring/samey, I wouldn't use this, but if I just need a poo poo-ton of ore right away? Bam.

Man, they should really just give players all the tools they need to become walking ecological catastrophe midway through the game.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I don't know, aside from obsidian, my 4x4 MM is doing a hell of a job already.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Well yeah, but it doesn't really do anything particularly interesting. A giant drill summon that Bingham Canyons its way to a planet's core, or a mining laser like in that one goon mod would both fill the "gotta dig fast" niche that picks ostensibly do, without being painfully dull.

Ernie Muppari fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 23, 2015

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Once you max the MM it shouldn't take a year to mine the tough materials. That's my biggest gripe overall.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Planet bookmarking coming soon! :toot:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Tiyuri/status/569866866648227843

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

For a moment I thought 'possibly a space station?' might be hinting on new content but then I realised it was a moon and a lame Star Wars joke.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

This is exactly what I needed. Just yesterday I was lamenting that I would have to use notepad to keep track of planets.

Still, what I'm more interested in is teleporters. Both for your character alone and ones that can be used with vehicles or sky rails.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

game is a turd

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Not quite, but you CAN put it where turds come from I hear.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Davoren posted:

For a moment I thought 'possibly a space station?' might be hinting on new content but then I realised it was a moon and a lame Star Wars joke.

yeah but how about that loving insane Outpost Portal

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

There should be a goon server :smith: There are tons for Minecraft, I think a SB one would be great.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

There should be a goon server :smith: There are tons for Minecraft, I think a SB one would be great.

SB servers use a shitload of CPU, especially if people are off doing their own thing. Having something as simple as 6 people on 6 different planets exploring will bring many game hosts to their knees.

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

The server side of things is still in a very buggy, resource-intensive state at the moment - without a massive host and/or obsessive babysitting, i'm guessing running anything with more than a handful of players would be pretty problematic.

Heck, i've got a server going on a VPS for just myself and one friend...and last night it only took a couple hours of play (from a fresh reboot) for the memory usage to triple and then start lagging horribly. And that was just doing a relatively small amount of digging and exploring on a handful of planets with a few mods, not anything close to what a horde of Goons would be up to.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ah ok, well, that makes sense, but sucks. I hope they're able to optimize it eventually; this game is so much better with other people.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I keep thinking I should join that one goon server that's been mentioned a couple of times, but I'd have to install that bigger cave mod and that would nuke all the poo poo I've built.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I remember finding those when Starbound first came out. They were cute little villages that I was so disappointed did absolutely nothing but give you monies. I wanted miniature people to scream in fear of me. :(

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

DaveKap posted:

I remember finding those when Starbound first came out. They were cute little villages that I was so disappointed did absolutely nothing but give you monies. I wanted miniature people to scream in fear of me. :(

Good news! Your wish has been fulfilled.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Good news! Your wish has been fulfilled.

Welp, should've wished for a better game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Musluk posted:

Welp, should've wished for a better game.

Maybe he should have wished for a better poster to mock his wish.

• Locked thread