Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
The good news for me, is my art career and success, is not subject to the opinions of an internet troll or two here on kickstarter. Not selling art? All I do is sell art. I realize my art style or skill is not enough to have a troll, who has much more art skill than myself, begin to "believe" that is possible, but it is. Again, lucky for me, my being an artist and success, is not based on what an unskilled troll or two may think.
Or the value of anything.
It's great to have an opinion. Good luck with that Mr. Troll. I am sure the trolls I have met here, are as charming and successful in real life as they are here with their "opinions". How valuable to have a brain trust of cowards. That must be a wonderful way for them to spend their days.
Not one of the trolls, ever played the game, or read the rules, but they had an opinion on it. That is the gift of being a troll. Proof or logic is meaningless to the troll. If the troll, thinks it, it must be true. That is how the troll sees it. Again, I think otherwise.
Not everyone shares the troll world view. This is something the troll can't realize due to the smaller troll brain. They will argue about things they have never experienced based on an idea their troll brain "created". Again based on nothing but an "opinion" not based on fact.
It takes zero accountability to attack someone on the internet anonymously. I know the trolls, think it's heroic and all, to attack people on the internet with their "opinion". After all, they must be right. And thus they can attack anyone based on their "opinion". I will never think is appropriate behavior for an adult to behave this way. And we won't convince each other of the difference. If you don't like something simply don't support it. I know to the troll, that seems wrong, but it isn't. They must troll others,with their "opinion's" based on something I call "being an internet bully and coward." Again, the trolls see it different. When they attack people they feel 100% justified in doing so. Because as a troll, they have no ability to be wrong on any subject.
Including the assessment of a game they have never played.
I see it as slander. You can get away with it here, acting the fool, but in real life you can't slander people. Go try it say on ebay and see what happens. Here on kickstarter anything goes. Eventually it will change.
If trolls really wanted to change the world, or me and my game, they would simply do it "right". Sue me for copyright infringement and see what happens. Then we can see, legally, which is all that counts, if the accusation that I am a plagiarist, is correct.
That is how the boys that wear big boy pants do it. They sue you-- if they think you have stolen their copyright. Companies sue each other all the time over "intellectual property". That is part of business.
Here is something to put the trolls into a fit of disbelief. Hollytown, is different than Smash-Up. it's got similar elements, (to many games including smash-up) however, it's is a unique game. It plays different. Again, the troll will never believe this. But it's not about what the the troll believes, Unless the troll wants to challenge my copyright of Hollytown. That is the only way I see me altering my opinion.
I have had Hollytown played by people that play "Smash-up", and other games, and they say, "it's different than Smash-up". However this is just an opinion, from people that have played both games." They could be wrong. It's only an opinion. They only way to know for sure is to compare Hollytown move to move to (Fill in name of game) and see that is is different.
Again, the troll thinks this is all a big pack of lies. "Dan must be a liar!" thinks the Troll. "He did not do his due diligence. He is must be making this all up! He knows nothing about copyrights and trademarks."
Again, the trolls would be wrong. I hold the copyright and trademarks to many things. (over 100 things) And I am not stupid enough to think I or anyone can "steal" something and get away with it. I don't think I am even close to that stupid. I know for sure the troll see's it different.
Hollytown, Is a unique game with a theme (movies and tv) used in about 5 other games at this time. However none of the other games, work at all like Hollytown.
The trolls have had their say. I have had mine. The troll opinions mean nothing since they can't back it up. Even with an actual identity. Or actually having played the game!
Imagine having an opinion about something you NEVER experienced. Like this game. Or a culture. Or a career. An opinion is not a fact.
To the troll their is no difference.
I can accept the trolls don't "believe" anything I have to say. I can say this (something more not to believe) this game is completed. Done. Not a someday. might be done project, maybe it's done, sort of thing. This is a completed project. I brought a completed project to this venue. Again, I know that means nothing to the trolls. Their goal is to troll, not to help or even buy something they want. The troll is not here to help. They are here to troll.
Waiting 2, 3 years for a game (and counting) is fine for them. Delivery is not even a concern for the troll. On my end, I brought a game, to this venue, that is done, not-- a what if, prototype. Again, only the people that really wanted a game took this into consideration, the haters just kept on going, no matter what the actual situation.
Sadly, now the trolls have to go and bother someone else with their free time. With my free time I will keep creating art, you know all that art, that I can't ever sell to anyone? That art. If trolls don't believe in things, do they still exist? Not according to the troll. Again, this limited world view is due to the smaller troll brain and limited capacity to see beyond the entrance of their troll cave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The word "troll" has now ceased to have any meaning.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Man, that formatting is awful.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Man, that formatting is awful.

Troll!

Have we just been arguing the merits of Exploding Kittens on BGG?

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

"The troll believes, the man understands. " - Andrew Ryan

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Holy wall of :downswords:

He really needs, to lay off, the, commas.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Doctor Zero posted:

Holy wall of :downswords:

He really needs, to lay off, the, commas.

You would think that, with your smaller troll brain.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Holy poo poo that whole thing is the most dunning-kruger.txt thing I've read in ages.

I like how he posts that big whiny rant then talks about how the "big boys in the big boy pants" act.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Little_wh0re posted:

"The troll believes, the man understands. " - Andrew Ryan

Is not a hack entitled the fruits of his kickstarter? No, says the troll, it is poo poo are you are poo poo for making it.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Did Broken Loose abandon his Kickstarter?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

zandert33 posted:

Did Broken Loose abandon his Kickstarter?

No, he's just quite wisely not spamming the thread with it. I'm sure he'll tell us if it gets funded.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Jedit posted:

No, he's just quite wisely not spamming the thread with it. I'm sure he'll tell us if it gets funded.

That's the problem, at his current rate he won't get funded, and it doesn't look like he's doing anything to create excitement for it (I think the goon-funding has been tapped).

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

zandert33 posted:

That's the problem, at his current rate he won't get funded, and it doesn't look like he's doing anything to create excitement for it (I think the goon-funding has been tapped).

I thought he said he was just waiting for this week before doing a big marketing push? Either way there is still time if he gets more active.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
BL mentioned that he's working overtime on the art assets right now. He also mentioned in the board game thread that Rahdo has expressed interest in the game.

My completely baseless guess? He's rushing to finish an attractive, "video-ready" version of the Print-N-Play, so that he can bounce it off Rahdo and others for the next big push.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

zandert33 posted:

If the goon funding is tapped, what would be the point of him posting any further here?

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

NTRabbit posted:

If the goon funding is tapped, what would be the point of him posting any further here?

Did I say he should post about it more here? Look at the Kickstarter itself.. no update in about a week.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

NTRabbit posted:

He could still post updates and ask for advice. Not every goon is just advertising to exploit the ~goonerosity~ quotient.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

zandert33 posted:

Remember that projects attract most money in the first two days and the last two days. I think he'll scrape it at least.

The Sword of Fargoal 2 Kickstarter had a goal of $20k and eventually made about $20,030. That was living on the veins.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
Yeah, I made £900 in the first two days, £1000 in the last two days, and £80/day outside of that. Still, that was a function of putting in the effort reaching out during the campaign. With new IPs from unknown creators you have to put the effort in, but if you do the end of the campaign tends to get you significantly more than the start.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I've been working on art, additional goodies for the Deluxe version, additional goodies for the higher tiers, and making the PnP slightly better. In addition to this, I have to actually make additional physical versions of the game to ship off to certain reviewers who don't have working printers. I plan on making some public announcements either tonight or tomorrow.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

Remember that projects attract most money in the first two days and the last two days. I think he'll scrape it at least.

Yeah.. has anyone actually done a realistic KS projection thing (ie. one based on real KS historical data, instead of general statistic trends like the projections on Kicktraq)? I imagine that, in practice, there tends to be clear patterns for different kinds of projects, and it'd be nice if someone could provide a better estimate.

Anyway, my impression from watching a lot of KS's over the years is that Final Attack should probably squeak in just over 20k (if nothing else, BL really seems to want it so I assume he has a friend/relative who will pitch in if he gets to 19 or so).

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

zandert33 posted:

Not necessarily. For example, I keep forgetting to ask my gaming group if they think they'd be interested in Final Attack! because there's not much point in my backing if not. (I know it supports solo play but I'm too lazy to set up a boardgame to play solo when I could just work on my videogame backlog.)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Well the Thunderbirds Boardgame from Modiphus just went live. It's a Matt Leacock design so that's good, but it seems to be more resource management than mission based.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/modiphius/the-thunderbirds-co-operative-board-game-by-matt-l/description

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Well the Thunderbirds Boardgame from Modiphus just went live. It's a Matt Leacock design so that's good, but it seems to be more resource management than mission based.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/modiphius/the-thunderbirds-co-operative-board-game-by-matt-l/description

It also seems to be a poo poo project. The goal is £20k, they have a pledge for just the minis ... but the minis won't be made unless the project reaches £30k? Which it will - they're already 85% funded on the back of the IP - but still.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
To backers, being privy to the process not just behind running the campaign but also getting updates on the whole process of bringing a product to life is the product. (Well, besides the reward of course but it's the only product until the rewards actually ship.)

Broken Loose posted:

I've been working on art, additional goodies for the Deluxe version, additional goodies for the higher tiers, and making the PnP slightly better. In addition to this, I have to actually make additional physical versions of the game to ship off to certain reviewers who don't have working printers. I plan on making some public announcements either tonight or tomorrow.

:notfunny: Unsolicited advice below about KS and backers:

Don't tell us, tell your backers! And do it often. While you're at it, don't just say what's happening. Say something about how it's making you feel. And if nothing much is new on that front, share some words about what's going better than you expected. Or what's worse than expected, or what's been the biggest surprise so far. Or a bit about how long the game was in prototype, and what you're glad you did while it was. Communicate more.

They want to know this poo poo. They want to feel privy to what's going on behind the curtain. They want to share this with you. Keeping them in the loop has tangible benefits as well in that 1) it shows activity, which is attractive to potential backers, and 2) keeps you fresh in backers' minds - which is a source of additional backers (they get excited, they tell their friends, etc.)

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Mister Sinewave posted:

They want to know this poo poo. They want to feel privy to what's going on behind the curtain. They want to share this with you. Keeping them in the loop has tangible benefits as well in that 1) it shows activity, which is attractive to potential backers, and 2) keeps you fresh in backers' minds - which is a source of additional backers (they get excited, they tell their friends, etc.)
I must be in the minority, because if I pledge to a project, I only want to hear when there is actual news. I could give a rat's rear end about how long the game was in development or why the designer chose Engraver MT over Comic Sans. If I back a project, it's because that project interests me and I want to see it come to fruition - I know the developer is busy during a KS and I don't expect them to be constantly updating just for the sake of updating. He should be out promoting the project and only informing the backers if there is some news of merit.

I suppose there is a generation so used to a constant stream of meaningless information that they value it over more infrequent but valuable communication. I'm certainly not advocating for dropping regular updates altogether or anything, but you can save the chatter for later in the project's lifecycle as a way of keeping the lines of communication to your backers up once the KS is complete.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I like having an update every few days (once a day is eh, multiple times a day is really annoying), as long as it's actually about the project's campaign/development. Luckily I don't think I've had a campaign where the project creator treated the update tool as their personal blog or something.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Two things: Firstly I was speaking from the perspective of campaign management, as in what works for and with backers. Individuals of course have their own preferences. When someone turns off getting emailed your updates it doesn't mean they don't like the project, it just means they don't want emails. Secondly (and most importantly), I wasn't advocating liveblogging every little thing in a more is better sort of way. I am pointing out that the process of bringing a product to life is itself a product. There is plenty happening regularly in the process of running the campaign and making a product that is of interest to others, you just might not realize it. (edit for wording. I didn't mean 'share' as in invite backers to share creating the project, I meant 'share' as in share interesting news.)

The flow was really just "BL appears to have forgotten his KS" -> "No I'm busy doing all kinds of good stuff" -> "Don't tell us, tell your backers/campaign which hasn't had an update in a week or a question asked since even longer".

Of course I piped up entirely uninvited and I am not privy to BL's thoughts or planning, so for all I know I'm not telling him anything he hasn't already thought of and discarded or moved past ages ago :downs:

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 24, 2015

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Mehuyael posted:

I like having an update every few days (once a day is eh, multiple times a day is really annoying), as long as it's actually about the project's campaign/development. Luckily I don't think I've had a campaign where the project creator treated the update tool as their personal blog or something.
Don't pledge to Wick kickstarters, then. You get WickSpam. Dude fulfills, though, I'll give him that.

I like updates every 2-3 days, myself.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

I must be in the minority, because if I pledge to a project, I only want to hear when there is actual news.

I'm this way too, I don't care about updates other than that too many is vaguely annoying. I'm also very seldom interested in stretch goals and upgrade mazes and lots of the other crap that attends many successful KS projects. But these things don't really bother me or make me avoid something.

Meanwhile, as dude said above, for some people this kind of crap is the whole point. They want to be involved and heard, and that's what they're paying for. And, thus, a lot of KS projects get pushed into a certain shape by all these little pressures. To maximize success, you have to tick off all these little boxes for the different backer subgroups.

More than that, you have to do all of it all the time, or else your project smells shoddy/incomplete, even to people who don't care about these things. EVERY successful KS project does X and R, why aren't you doing all this stuff too? Is it because you're a bad-wrong scam? Did you give up on the project? "What you're doing/selling" and "what you're signalling" are only vaguely related here.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

jmzero posted:

They want to be involved and heard, and that's what they're paying for. And, thus, a lot of KS projects get pushed into a certain shape by all these little pressures.

People helpfully suggesting things can be annoying when you already have a plan/vision, it's true. :ironicat:

Happily you can treat it all like any other creative job where you get feedback: integrate the suggestions you think make sense, and blow off or ignore the rest :v:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jedit posted:

It also seems to be a poo poo project. The goal is £20k, they have a pledge for just the minis ... but the minis won't be made unless the project reaches £30k? Which it will - they're already 85% funded on the back of the IP - but still.

Why would anyone want those "minis"?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Jedit posted:

Actually no, the 20k base was to get the game out including all the minis. They have it laid out strangely with the lowest goals on the bottom not the top like most KSs do as well as putting the minimum as the lowest goal.

Leacock has also put the rules up for comment on google docs which is pretty cool too. Modiphus has done a couple of other Kickstarters (Achtung! Cthulhu and Mutant Chronicles 3e) and A!C fulfilled nicely while MC3 was slightly delayed but they have been sending out regular updates and betas of the rules so there's that.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 24, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Actually no, the 20k base was to get the game out including all the minis.

The 30k stretch was called Upgrade Game and the original description (since changed) said that the money would pay for moulds for the minis. I don't see any way to interpret that other than they would not be making the minis if they didn't get to £30k.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Other than being broken with that one foolproof strategy, was A Few Acres of Snow fun? There's a game inspired by it going called Hands in the Sea about the first Punic War.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
New Stonemaier game Between Two Cities just went live and already funded - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jameystegmaier/between-two-cities

Looks like something of a 7 Wonders/Carcassonne blend with some unique twists

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Mehuyael posted:

Other than being broken with that one foolproof strategy, was A Few Acres of Snow fun? There's a game inspired by it going called Hands in the Sea about the first Punic War.

No. Not in the slightest. If you don't do the Halifax Hammer or abuse deckthinning, the endgame's a terrible slog as both sides pass repeatedly until they get a viable hand. The game basically tells you to play in a certain way that's not only suboptimal, it makes the game terrible.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Deceptive Thinker posted:

New Stonemaier game Between Two Cities just went live and already funded - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jameystegmaier/between-two-cities

Looks like something of a 7 Wonders/Carcassonne blend with some unique twists

I'm getting kind of an 'eh' feeling about the game (don't take that to mean anything, I have no clue about what's a good board game). I'm sure some people around my area will pledge for it so I'll probably get to try it out at some point.

Fungah! posted:

No. Not in the slightest. If you don't do the Halifax Hammer or abuse deckthinning, the endgame's a terrible slog as both sides pass repeatedly until they get a viable hand. The game basically tells you to play in a certain way that's not only suboptimal, it makes the game terrible.

Huh, I guess that's what they meant by claiming to fix the problems in that game. Oh well, I'll need to see how exactly both games play to note what the differences and what the similarities are.

e: Needing a certain location card to move to an area next to that location sounds kind of annoying, especially after you spread around a bit. Thanks for the warning.

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 25, 2015

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Mehuyael posted:

I'm getting kind of an 'eh' feeling about the game (don't take that to mean anything, I have no clue about what's a good board game). I'm sure some people around my area will pledge for it so I'll probably get to try it out at some point.

I'm backing it purely on the fact that I need more quick playing games and I trust Jamey to provide a solid product

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Deceptive Thinker posted:

As much as I want to like the Stonemaier Games games, they really fail to excite me aside from their general competence. I see this game and just think that it's a pastiche of 7 Wonders and Castles of Mad King Ludwig (or Among the Stars in general), but with much worse and frankly dull art or that "first to market" appeal of the former two. Compare this art to something like Machi Koro's super bright and cartoony art, and despite how absolutely boring and terribly supported Machi Koro is, you can see why one would get people to the table more than the other. The colors on the tiles are muted as hell with the overwhelming palette being brown and grey and lack any sort of charm that people look for when they're building cities. You want the colors to evoke something like Anno 1404, not Gears of War.

I'm also not sure how the whole "build your neighbor's city!" mechanic will go. I can't help but feel that there'll be a weird psychological disconnect between building MY tableau and strictly building someone else's tableau that will remove that personal connection from the game. Like, it's not really a product of mine alone anymore, so I'm less invested in caring about it, if that makes any sense. It's like winning a game strictly because someone did something kingmakery to your benefit - it just doesn't feel like a proper victory. Unfortunately, that's the entire game, so...eh.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 25, 2015

• Locked thread