Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

RagnarokAngel posted:

It's only because this stuff looks less insane when you're watching it in the moment and are invested in it. It's pretty fuckin weird dude.

It's weird out of context, but it has in-universe logic. Lord of the Rings is weird, because magic doesn't exist! Except it makes sense in that world, because it's consistent and not throwing you for a loop.

The Stephen Hawking thing threw me, that's all. I can't see that making the screen, but it'd be funny to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Near the end of Hot Tub Time Machine 2, the character of Lou is shot in the head and killed by a Revolutionary War-era version of himself that you see the trailers. It's supposed to be funny, since the movie carries on as if Revolutionary War Lou is literally no different than Original Lou, but it takes place right after Original Lou makes a sincere effort to own up to and prevent certain lovely Things in the future he just came back from. Why even plot that the dude was trying to do something good if he's just going to be killed?

And here's another from the same movie that is arguably the platonic ideal of Irrationally Irritating: During the credits, there's a bunch of scenes in which Our Heroes are shown to go back in time and gently caress around with major historical events for funsies. I know it's just a gag, but I tend to approach even the goofiest of movies from some semblance of treating-the-reality-of-the-world-with-a-degree-of-realness, and all I could think about is "Wow, these guys just used a time machine to undo, like, everything in the world.". Same irrational annoyance I had with Saints Row IV's during-credits stuff. 98% of my brain is reminding me "It's just a joke!", but that 2% is way, way too loving loud.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 23:12 on Feb 22, 2015

Giga Pet giveaway
Jun 28, 2008

You're Not Welcome?
I'm watching the 2006 movie version of Desperation by Stephen King because I clearly have nothing better to do with my time and it irrationally irritates me that when a cougar is in the middle of attacking a man they use the stock RAWRAWWWRAWR cougar sound while it's clearly still biting him. What, it just stopped to yell around a mouthful?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Armyman25 posted:

In the old Adam West series, Batman and Robin were duly deputised by Commissioner Gordon.

Every week he'd just call them on the phone to come into the office to get their assignment. Old batman was basically a cop that just provided his own equipment.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

PaleInkedBoy posted:

I'm watching the 2006 movie version of Desperation by Stephen King because I clearly have nothing better to do with my time and it irrationally irritates me that when a cougar is in the middle of attacking a man they use the stock RAWRAWWWRAWR cougar sound while it's clearly still biting him. What, it just stopped to yell around a mouthful?

Um.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

What?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Cougar can be used another way.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Armyman25 posted:

In the old Adam West series, Batman and Robin were duly deputised by Commissioner Gordon.

On Arrow they did a thing at the beginning of this season where the police department officially recognized the Arrow. So he's not a cop but the cops don't try and arrest him. They also did a short arc explaining how the crooks he put away went to trial. While he couldn't testify against them they used the evidence he would collect.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Avengers & Guardians of the Galaxy :

if Thanos is the most powerful being in the universe why does he send scrubs like Ronan and Loki after the Infinity Gems? Why not just waltz in and take them?

There's several Infinity Gems. While those guys are off getting the tesseract and the purple gem, he's busy collecting the rest of the Infinity Gauntlet. :eng101:

The reason why he isn't so concerned if they fail is because he'll just go get that gem himself afterwards if needs be. He knows that if anybody tries to use a single gem they'll be wiped out by it, so he's just like "hey go get me some gems" and then gently caress it, if they show up it saves you the trouble and now you've got a tested ally, if they don't show up you were gonna have to go get the rest of them anyways, costs you literally nothing.

Thing is Thanos is like a near-god. He just really doesn't give a gently caress. He's playing the long game. (He eventually courts the god of death itself as his lover and then becomes the avatar of death, and there's one series where he actually saves the world from an alternate universe which killed its own god of death, thus making everybody immortal, thus creating a "cancerverse" which just kept growing and spilled over into ours.)

Freddles posted:

Applies to many films, but most recent is Jupiter Ascending:
We've got hyper-advanced technology, these guys have been travelling around space for a billion years or so, yet some parts of the technology is so dated. They manually aim and fire at things, rather than having a computer doing it more or less instantly and flawlessly. They use paper, or worse, big clunky chunks of metal for signing poo poo. An ipad is thinner, slicker, and more robust than the hunks of metal they use in that movie, and has better visuals. I get that the aiming thing is for tension reasons, but still annoys me somewhat when I see movies which are set around 50 years in the future (like Minority Report) where the technology is in many ways better than a movie with technology that's supposedly thousands/millions of years ahead. Or worse, when the advanced technology isn't even as good as things we have already developed today.

One other complaint about that movie. They said they killed off the dinosaurs to make way for the humans, but they also said they seeded the humans on Earth 150,000 years ago. that's a heck of a lot of forward thinking, good they had the patience to wait 64 million years. And did that dude say his boots allow him to surf on a "differential equation"?

This one gets me a lot, and most Sci-Fi falls for it in one way or another. Truth it is hard to completely predict how technology is going to change lives, and it can be easy to overlook things.

But yeah, there's a lot of questions here. Your society is millinea old and you harvest planets for resources, but you still manually aim guns? Comeon.

This takes me to a huge Sci-Fi pet peeve of mine: AI. I studied AI in college so I guess its a case of seeing bad medicine in movies as a doctor, but it absolutely drives me up a wall how AI is depicted in almost ALL sci-fi movies.

Most robots seem to act like Lost in Space: "Danger Will Robinson! Danger! Danger!" and "Beep boop what is love, does not compute" real simple, stupid kinda stuff. And to 80s audiences I guess that made total sense.

But the thing is there's no real point in having AI until its really smart. We already have that basic level of AI right now, and we don't bother putting it in robots because it'd be too drat stupid. Instead we have it in Google and Siri and such. There's no point in building actual articulate robots until they're at least of a basic intelligence. (Or if they're being remote controlled or used for industry, sure) Otherwise they'd just hurt themselves, it wouldn't be worth the cost building robots to walk around and talk if they're dumb.

So then if you have a robot that is truly intelligent, like post-singularity intelligence, that isn't going to be like R2D2 "beep beep boop" or even C3P0's "I do not understand these organics" kinda thing.

One of the few AI that I've seen in sci-fi that did it right in my opinion was Legion from Mass Effect. Legion doesn't get confounded like C3P0 does; he's smart. He thinks faster than you do and he's even part of a gigantic computer hive-mind which can all communicate about an issue in an instant. Talking with an AI on that level would be like giving somebody years to write a doctoral thesis on the subject every time; he'd respond with perfect accuracy and deep consideration. Not just "I do not understand, does not compute, beep boop what is love".

The new movie Chappie by Neill Blomkamp looks to exactly address this issue, but watching the trailers it looks kinda boring.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 17:06 on Feb 23, 2015

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Avengers & Guardians of the Galaxy :

if Thanos is the most powerful being in the universe why does he send scrubs like Ronan and Loki after the Infinity Gems? Why not just waltz in and take them?
So there's no in-movie explanation and there likely never will be but in the comics Thanos is absurdly powerful, way more powerful than movie Ronan or Loki. But in comic books that's like being the PAC-10 champion in college football. There are a bunch of much more powerful beings who play in an entirely different league than Thanos or Thor or any of the characters we've met in the movies (though one of them did briefly show up in the Collector's flashback in Guardians) who would stomp Thanos flat if he openly went after the magic items that he needs to gain ultimate power (the various McGuffins from the movies).

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

One thing that annoys me in a ton of movies (and books, and tv shows) that Guardians of the Galaxy sidestepped is that the protagonists know of a serious problem with a wide-reaching impact and decide to try to stop it themselves, either ignoring or outright antagonizing the authorities that should be able to help them.

They even summed it up nicely: "Do you trust him?" "Not really but I see no reason for him to lie about this" or something like that.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Ryoshi posted:

One thing that annoys me in a ton of movies (and books, and tv shows) that Guardians of the Galaxy sidestepped is that the protagonists know of a serious problem with a wide-reaching impact and decide to try to stop it themselves, either ignoring or outright antagonizing the authorities that should be able to help them.

They even summed it up nicely: "Do you trust him?" "Not really but I see no reason for him to lie about this" or something like that.

Well, I mean, no one's 100% a dick...

The irony in that line being that both Ronan and Thanos seem to be 100% dicks...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Well, I mean, no one's 100% a dick...

Whoever decided to cast John C. Reilly in Guardians of the Galaxy deserves a medal.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

DrBouvenstein posted:

The irony in that line being that both Ronan and Thanos seem to be 100% dicks...

I'm not totally sure of what Thanos' motivation is but at the very least Ronin seems upset that whatever atrocities he feels the Xandarians committed against his people shouldn't just be swept under the rug with a peace treaty, so it's possible to believe he's got some legitimate pathos taking at least a few percentage points away from 100% dickitude.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Ronan's helper guy who got his head turned around seemed like a 100% dick.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Buzkashi posted:

I'm not totally sure of what Thanos' motivation is but at the very least Ronin seems upset that whatever atrocities he feels the Xandarians committed against his people shouldn't just be swept under the rug with a peace treaty, so it's possible to believe he's got some legitimate pathos taking at least a few percentage points away from 100% dickitude.

There is the whole bathing in the blood of his enemies and killing people after the treaty was signed.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

oldpainless posted:

Ronan's helper guy who got his head turned around seemed like a 100% dick.

Thanos' helper guy called The Other.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Buzkashi posted:

It sucks because Ronin is actually a really deep and interesting character in the comics and you get NONE of that in the movie. He's literally snidley whiplash in the film.

In the comics Ronin is actually such a complex character that sometimes he's considered a hero, and is even considered one of the guardians of the galaxy at times. Other times he's a villain or an anti-hero, as the story goes.

I actually really really hated almost all of the Marvel Cinematic Universe villians. They're too boring and cardboard.

That elf dude from Thor 2 was loving awful.

Loki is the single villain in the entire Marvel universe who wasn't complete garbage, and even he's only passable. But people are fawning over him because he's half-way loving decent compared the the rest of the lot.

Even Hugo Weaving was starting to rethink the Red Skull and how cartoony he is. More Hitler than Hitler!

The Iron Man villains were all massively mishandled. Jebediah Stone was actually okay (first film was also the best) but then Whiplash? Ehhhhh. The Mandarin? The reversal was cool but left us with no real villain.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

The Iron Man villains were all massively mishandled. Jebediah Stone was actually okay (first film was also the best) but then Whiplash? Ehhhhh. The Mandarin? The reversal was cool but left us with no real villain.

Capitalism! The military-industrial complex!

I've posted about it before but the general plot of IM3 makes no sense (in the context of the wider Marvel Movie world). So this guy is setting up bombings around the world to make people all afraid of terrorism so the government will throw tons of money in contracts at him.

This is somewhat recently after straight up no bullshit Aliens invaded New York. Scratch your terrorism plan, walk up to the Pentagon saying "Hey I've got a halfway decent super soldier program with a few kinks to work out." and the DoD will hand the villain the biggest blank check in the history of the universe because holy poo poo ET just leveled half of Manhattan and we need more than one Captain America. The whole firebreathing thing is just a bonus.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah Marvel really needs to rethink how they're handling the cinematic universe.

Their plan seemed to go:

1. Make origin story movies. SO MANY origin story movies.
2. Redo a few of those just for good measure.
3. Release huge tie-in movie Avengers, etc. where all your previous established IP show up.
4. ??????
5. Profit

Well, they're certainly profiting. But they hit step 4 and now they don't know what to do. They seem to think the answer is just to loop around back to #1, but that doesn't work.

The Winter Soldier and Iron man 3 both make no sense following the plot of Avengers. They're no managing the universe' overarching plot at all.

Basically the best they come up with is "This has to do with Nazis so Cappy's gonna deal with it personally" and "This involves technology so, uh.... Iron Man... and the other avengers are busy okay?"

Its possible to have stories that focus on a single hero when a big overaching event is going on (check out the individual series comics during a major event like Civil War) but you gotta handle it right. Either the conflicts need to be small and personal so that calling in the cavalry would be inappropriate (but then you can't have terrorists and explosions) or the other heroes need to be busy doing something else even more important, and that's not easy to juggle.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Zaphod42 posted:

The Mandarin? The reversal was cool but left us with no real villain.

What about Guy Pearce's character?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Coffee And Pie posted:

What about Guy Pearce's character?

Exactly. No real villain :cheeky:

Guy Pearce is cool but that role was pretty forgettable to me.

Revealing who the real villain is only in the 3rd act is a cool twist but it kinda ruins all your building tension unless its handled really well.

The Wolverine suffered from that problem too. The first act is all Logan's backstory, okay cool, then the second act is Logan goes to Japan, again cool, and then... oh poo poo is the movie almost over already? uhhhhhhh ends up this guy was the bad guy all along, and now he's dead! Yay! Er.... whatever. :v:

At least that movie was waaaaay better than Xmen Origins: Wolverine with its lovely lovely deadpool.... THING.
Surprise; the villain is Ryan Reynolds with no mouth, and a bunch of powers his character shouldn't really have.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

^^ The Wolverine's back story took up two minutes in that movie tops as it showed him at the bombing and tied into the Japanese stuff. Most of it was him separated from humanity after Jean's death and his trip to Japan made it possible to reconnect.

Zaphod42 posted:

The Winter Soldier and Iron man 3 both make no sense following the plot of Avengers. They're no managing the universe' overarching plot at all.

You mean besides Tony's PTSD after the events of Avengers and the whole plot of Winter Soldier occurred due to the aliens attacks and Shield was given more power. The other Avengers were busy and that is the case in the comics as most conflicts would end if the just called up the Avengers.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I was really bothered by the cinematic universe version of the Mandarin since the original was, like, a perfect tie-in after the events of The Avengers. Tony's got PTSD from literal aliens, the Mandarin's rings' power is drawn from aliens. C'mon, Marvel.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I was really bothered by the cinematic universe version of the Mandarin since the original was, like, a perfect tie-in after the events of The Avengers. Tony's got PTSD from literal aliens, the Mandarin's rings' power is drawn from aliens. C'mon, Marvel.

The biggest issue with Mandain is that he is yellow peril personified.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

bobkatt013 posted:

^^ The Wolverine's back story took up two minutes in that movie tops as it showed him at the bombing and tied into the Japanese stuff. Most of it was him separated from humanity after Jean's death and his trip to Japan made it possible to reconnect.

I love that Wolverine was somehow at Normandy and Hiroshima.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

I love that Wolverine was somehow at Normandy and Hiroshima.

They are a year apart.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

liked how the Mandarin talked.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Isn't the comics version straight from the Peter Sellers school of race relations? Or am I just assuming the worst because I know what comics are loving like?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Pilchenstein posted:

Isn't the comics version straight from the Peter Sellers school of race relations? Or am I just assuming the worst because I know what comics are loving like?

He was introduced in the 60s so yes yes he was.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Well, yeah, there is that, but I think they could have created a version of the character with the rings that wasn't incredibly racist.

Maybe I give them too much credit.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Well, yeah, there is that, but I think they could have created a version of the character with the rings that wasn't incredibly racist.

Maybe I give them too much credit.

I might be giving them too much credit, but I kind of saw the MCU version of the Mandarin as being a big "gently caress you" to the comic book version. You've got this guy who's been set up as being so powerful and dangerous, and in the end he's just a fiction made up to make White America afraid of those other people.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

I might be giving them too much credit, but I kind of saw the MCU version of the Mandarin as being a big "gently caress you" to the comic book version. You've got this guy who's been set up as being so powerful and dangerous, and in the end he's just a fiction made up to make White America afraid of those other people.

There then ends up being a real one.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Arrath posted:

Capitalism! The military-industrial complex!

I've posted about it before but the general plot of IM3 makes no sense (in the context of the wider Marvel Movie world). So this guy is setting up bombings around the world to make people all afraid of terrorism so the government will throw tons of money in contracts at him.

This is somewhat recently after straight up no bullshit Aliens invaded New York. Scratch your terrorism plan, walk up to the Pentagon saying "Hey I've got a halfway decent super soldier program with a few kinks to work out." and the DoD will hand the villain the biggest blank check in the history of the universe because holy poo poo ET just leveled half of Manhattan and we need more than one Captain America. The whole firebreathing thing is just a bonus.

I thought the bombings weren't so much set up as much as people with Extremis were already exploding and the bombing story was just to cover up Extremis's flaws, so that he could get the government contracts without them saying "woah, we don't want something that makes our soldiers blow up"?

I was a little bummed that the Mandarin turned out how he did, just because it means they never followed up on the hints from the first movie, with the terrorists who kidnapped Stark belonging to the "Ten Rings" organization.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'd love to see someone like Donnie Yen end up being the Mandarin on screen. Dude would be able to kick rear end AND have blinged out alien jewelry.

I can imagine the BONGBONGBONGBONGBONGBONGBONG noises when he ip man's one of tony's armor suits with those high speed punches :allears:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah Marvel really needs to rethink how they're handling the cinematic universe.

Their plan seemed to go:

1. Make origin story movies. SO MANY origin story movies.
2. Redo a few of those just for good measure.
3. Release huge tie-in movie Avengers, etc. where all your previous established IP show up.
4. ??????
5. Profit

So more or less exactly like the comics then? Call me a cynic but I think #5 has been their plan all along.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I thought the bombings weren't so much set up as much as people with Extremis were already exploding and the bombing story was just to cover up Extremis's flaws, so that he could get the government contracts without them saying "woah, we don't want something that makes our soldiers blow up"?

I was a little bummed that the Mandarin turned out how he did, just because it means they never followed up on the hints from the first movie, with the terrorists who kidnapped Stark belonging to the "Ten Rings" organization.

Yet. There's still that one-shot where Kenneth is attacked in prison by a guy claiming to be a true devotee of the Ten Rings.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

My take on it was that the bombings were opportunistic cleanups of the people who had taken Extremis and couldn't handle it. Make them go boom in a way no one knows what the gently caress just happened, and make them blow up in places where it'll further the general cause. I was just assuming that the whole 'people turning into suitcase nukes' thing would be covered under the 'minor kinks to work out' aspect of it. Like, at least it's not making GBS threads out more Hulks that we can't loving deal with, these guys just explode once* and problem solved!

*Ideally, y'know, next to a pile of Skree or Loki or something we want to blow up.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I thought that too. It seemed like a lot of the movie was about avoiding the obvious but just because something is unexpected doesn't make it better. I also thought they were going to try and side-step the racism thing by casting Ben Kingsley but apparently not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

The biggest issue with Mandain is that he is yellow peril personified.

Uh, he did say aliens.