Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Ramagamma posted:

Did all the training missions last night, am now at the stage of doing 'real' missions. Am I missing something or am I meant to specifically know which area to look at for certain monsters or is it a case of exploration being the main focus? I wouldn't have known what a Konchu looked like without wiking it so just wanted to make sure I was going down the right path before getting frustrated.
Look up sometimes and you'll see a hot air balloon. Get into the meu, go to gestures, and give that balloon a wave, and the spotters in it will show you where the monster is. It means you don't run around aimlessly as much!

Edit: This won't work on konchus, but the item store does sell books that give descriptions of monster and vague hints. Buy those, support Guildmarm's business.

rhoga fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah but what about the thousands of times where you join a multiplayer game and they JUST started a quest? Yeah yeah, you should check the quest info to make sure they're still in lobby before you join, but what if they grab a quest and leave while you're loading or something?

I mean if they haven't even sighted the monster yet, is there a good reason why you can't join in? Nope. Just technical restrictions that shouldn't be there (IMO).

The reason is you are supposed to roll up to the guildmarm with two of your buddies and say "Yo! This is my crew, and we are gonna hunt some bitch-rear end Rathaloses" and she is like "SICK! I'mma do some sick fanart of that while you're out there" and then you go out and put those punk Rathaloses in the ground. If some kid comes in 5 minutes later and asks the guildmarm if he can hunt Rathalos too, she goes "Nah son, you ain't on tha crew. We already got that on lock. You gotta wait till next time to be a badass."

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
I just wish that monsters would actually stay in their starting position until you've found them. It's not so bad the first time you do a quest, since they stay put, but having to run laps around the map because you keep barely missing them is annoying.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Saigyouji posted:

I just wish that monsters would actually stay in their starting position until you've found them. It's not so bad the first time you do a quest, since they stay put, but having to run laps around the map because you keep barely missing them is annoying.

Wave at the balloon or eat for Felyne Oracle.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Notorious QIG posted:

Thing is, unless I'm blind, the balloon doesn't always appear.

(Also I prefer to eat for Felyne Defender Hi because I am the worst at dodging)

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
This game is weirdly fascinating, I've put in like 5 hours and I'm still feeling lost in a great way. Oddly remind me a bit of early World of Warcraft.

It's no doubt me being useless but during the training mission, the ranged weapons felt kind of odd and underpowered, sticking with double blades at the moment as I'm only fighting monsters the size of small dogs but I'm sure I'll get round to experimenting more.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Notorious QIG posted:

What balloon?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

The early bows are honestly kinda terrible, and Heavy Bowguns can be kinda tricky to get used to, since, well, you move like an arthritic snail when you have them out. They're certainly not weak overall, though.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

SpeedRazor posted:

Two 3DS systems/NNIDs will get you both, otherwise there will be DLC for more later.
Late to this post, but is this something you can only do with a physical copy of the game? I can't see this working with a digital copy without some system transfer magic.

A second Mario Bros. Set would be really nice to have right now, if only to cut down on having to remember to do the Meownster Hunters routine every three quests.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

sitchelin posted:

What balloon?

There's a balloon that flies around that you might see from time to time. If you use the wave gesture while looking at it they'll mark all large monsters on your map for a short time, once per quest.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Saigyouji posted:

Generally its not so bad. Make sure to bring paintballs with you on every quest, then you only have to find the monster once. If you know where it starts, this is pretty trivial.

The only times it bothers me is when I get carted (my own fault though) and the paintball happens to wear off AS I'm running back. If the paintball runs out while you're fighting you can just re-paintball, but if it wears off while running back, oops.

This still isn't a problem for ground monsters so much because you know the zone they're in, and the general area. But flying monsters have a tendency to just deuce out to the other side of the map, skipping past 3 zones on the way.

If you lose one of the fliers, you can spend an awful lot of time running around looking for them. Showing up to a zone RIGHT as they're leaving is infuriating. :smith:

If it really bothers you get some armor or an amulet that gives psychic and problem solved. And then you get to be that cool guy on your team who knows exactly where to go.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Should I be working through HR online quests, or single player stuff first? I tried some HR1 stuff and it seemed a fair bit harder.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Should I be working through HR online quests, or single player stuff first? I tried some HR1 stuff and it seemed a fair bit harder.

Online stuff is going to be harder because it assumes you're doing it co-op. Do a bit of both, IMO.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Generally its not so bad. Make sure to bring paintballs with you on every quest, then you only have to find the monster once. If you know where it starts, this is pretty trivial.

The only times it bothers me is when I get carted (my own fault though) and the paintball happens to wear off AS I'm running back. If the paintball runs out while you're fighting you can just re-paintball, but if it wears off while running back, oops.

This still isn't a problem for ground monsters so much because you know the zone they're in, and the general area. But flying monsters have a tendency to just deuce out to the other side of the map, skipping past 3 zones on the way.

If you lose one of the fliers, you can spend an awful lot of time running around looking for them. Showing up to a zone RIGHT as they're leaving is infuriating. :smith:

If it really bothers you get some armor or an amulet that gives psychic and problem solved. And then you get to be that cool guy on your team who knows exactly where to go.

Honestly, it's the fliers I'm really complaining about. (Ask me about hunting a gypceros down in Sunken Hollow because it flew off before I even got to its starting area!)

greth
Nov 12, 2008

Does it trouble your mind the way you trouble mine?

Neraren posted:

If he ditched your shock trap then it wasn't active. There's one active trap at a time per person, but no limit on how many traps you can use beyond what you can carry. I think you can get up to 4 between the different trap types and supply boxes.

To clarify, there was still the X from the trap on my map. He left the zone before triggering it, and I could still lay a pitfall in the next zone over.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

rhoga posted:

Look up sometimes and you'll see a hot air balloon. Get into the meu, go to gestures, and give that balloon a wave, and the spotters in it will show you where the monster is. It means you don't run around aimlessly as much!

Edit: This won't work on konchus, but the item store does sell books that give descriptions of monster and vague hints. Buy those, support Guildmarm's business.

WOAH

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhwJJXI6Rp4

Space Hamlet fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 23, 2015

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

greth posted:

To clarify, there was still the X from the trap on my map. He left the zone before triggering it, and I could still lay a pitfall in the next zone over.

Either your game bugged or one of your Palicoes actually laid that trap and you didn't realize. I guess alternatively there could be some armor skill that lets you do that and somehow no one else has noticed it before you?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
What does pressing the little kick button while your weapon is sheathed do

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

It makes you kick

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

It allows you to play Konchu Soccer

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i guess its there so you can break your teammate out of sleep or mud without using your weapon but kicking konchus is the first time ive ever really used it

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Zaphod42 posted:

And okay, even if the 3DS hardware means you have to limit each zone (or limiting each zone makes them prettier or something), you could still handle the level transitions better.

MH4U has ~2 second loading times between zones now, so this is mitigated a lot compared to older games (5+ seconds easily)

And it's great having zones because all the zones can be completely different in appearance and don't have to flow together and also getting to step into another zone to quickly heal and sharpen and takes a quick breather is really loving nice in high-end High Rank and G Rank fights.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

http://youtu.be/pwautVeV5RE

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
How do I get parts off wasps and stuff? When I hit them they just disintegrate. Specifically I am looking for uhh shells. Bhananasdas (spelling??) shells.

I have no idea how you people keep these names straight.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Rascyc posted:

How do I get parts off wasps and stuff? When I hit them they just disintegrate. Specifically I am looking for uhh shells. Bhananasdas (spelling??) shells.

poison bombs

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Saigyouji posted:

Thing is, unless I'm blind, the balloon doesn't always appear.

(Also I prefer to eat for Felyne Defender Hi because I am the worst at dodging)

Velocidrome armor is really easy to get and after mixing and matching it with Kut Ku armor and dropping in a few gems I have Attack (M) and Psychic which are both really nice to have at this point. If you don't have the parts do some expeditions and then the Guild Quests they unlock and you can get them really quickly.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Rofl

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Rascyc posted:

Bananahabras

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

On the note of armour sets, what's a decent set for starting out in HR? (Preferably one that involves never fighting that drat crab again.)

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
There's an early gathering hall quest for killing some bananabras that gives you four poison bombs. There's a subquest to kill some altaroths, so the mission is decent for farming from either bug.

e: Looked it up and it's HR4. Whoops. The quest is Bnahabra Bloodbath, for what it's worth.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 23, 2015

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Can we just standardize to calling them Bananabros?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Elysiume posted:

There's an early gathering hall quest for killing some bananabras that gives you four poison bombs. There's a subquest to kill some altaroths, so the mission is decent for farming from either bug.

e: Looked it up and it's HR4. Whoops. The quest is Bnahabra Bloodbath, for what it's worth.

There's a HR1 version of the quest too.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Elysiume posted:

that's hr1or2 i did it last night

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

G-Prime posted:

Can we just standardize to calling them Bananabros?

Bhanbugs.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Saigyouji posted:

On the note of armour sets, what's a decent set for starting out in HR? (Preferably one that involves never fighting that drat crab again.)

Velocidrome S. 200+ defense and three Attack skillpoints away from Attack Up XL if you gem for attack. Just add a talisman, either with two slots or with the skill built in and you're good to go.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010
You guys are all adorable.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I stupidly farmed blue kutku armor when I first got into HR because I thought it was better than it was. I immediately farmed Monoblos armor and now Im near the end of HR looking like a viking and it owns

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Awesome! posted:

that's hr1or2 i did it last night
Maybe the wiki is wrong or I was looking at MH4 or something, I only checked briefly since I'm at work. In that case it's a good option.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Notorious QIG posted:

There's a balloon that flies around that you might see from time to time. If you use the wave gesture while looking at it they'll mark all large monsters on your map for a short time, once per quest.
I didn't see this balloon until I beat Green Congalala.

Man, low rank Dah'ren dies really fast. Not that I mind, I hated fighting Jhen solo back in 3U.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeedRazor
Feb 5, 2005

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Late to this post, but is this something you can only do with a physical copy of the game? I can't see this working with a digital copy without some system transfer magic.

A second Mario Bros. Set would be really nice to have right now, if only to cut down on having to remember to do the Meownster Hunters routine every three quests.

I used a physical copy, I don't see a way for it to work with digital unfortunately.

• Locked thread