Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
movax
Aug 30, 2008

eschaton posted:

are there any examples you can point to of good or bad Verilog, VHDL, and so on?

also, do the Xilinx tools work in win8 yet? or are they "reasonable" on linux? I don't have a win7 system handy.

fpga tooling on linux is only good for running headless builds imo; if you need to use the gui at all, stick with windows. linux is a second-class citizen (as it should be)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

sund posted:

i cut my vacation short a day to assist with some qualification testing that we ultimately failed and spent two weeks poring through code and manuals, staying late making one off builds that i knew didn't make sense just to satisfy someone else's theories and pestering support engineers at another company to figure out why their product was flaking out when we were trying to using it. finally stole the scope from the hardware department today and found out the power bus drops half a volt below the absolute minimum voltage required for the flaky part when it performs a certain operation. three people assuring me it was rock solid and double checked, while hinting that i was probably toggling a non-existent reset line.

i want a raise.

loving up (non-exotic) power supplies is inexcusable in my book

you have to basically ignore your datasheet entirely, or have dumb-rear end system-level requirements

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

movax posted:

fpga tooling on linux is only good for running headless builds imo; if you need to use the gui at all, stick with windows. linux is a second-class citizen (as it should be)

this man speaks truth

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

fpga tooling is never good.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bloody posted:

fpga tooling is never good.

well if you want to take a lot of breaks while its compiling synthesizing

movax
Aug 30, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

well if you want to take a lot of breaks while its compiling synthesizing

i used to have 2 hour builds, I'd be lucky to get five builds a day. lots of multi-tasking

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

how on earth am i using an fpga toolchain released in the past year that does not support systemverilog, a thing that has existed for over a decade

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bloody posted:

how on earth am i using an fpga toolchain released in the past year that does not support systemverilog, a thing that has existed for over a decade

embedded tools are all terrible because as engineers we learn how to work around problems as a living

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

its true. instead of using some of the new for loop constructs sysV allows, i'm writing a c# program to autogen some spaghetti code.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i have now written thousands of lines of verilog in the past few days and other than annoyances like the above this has been less painful than i was expecting.

when does the other shoe drop?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bloody posted:

i have now written thousands of lines of verilog in the past few days and other than annoyances like the above this has been less painful than i was expecting.

trc.exe has stopped working

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

thank god im not using xilinx tools

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

oh good

still debugging is a bitch but thats true for MCUs too

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Bloody posted:

fs, sf and temperature. ff/ss if you're unlucky

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Bloody posted:

its true. instead of using some of the new for loop constructs sysV allows, i'm writing a c# program to autogen some spaghetti code.

I might be kind of retarded but what for-loop construct does sysV have that V2001 doesnt? I use for-loops in generate statements and function calls all the time and it synthesizes ok with xst

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Feb 25, 2015

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
Because im the biggest idiot on the planet, i took on the task of makefile-automating my builds with Xilinx ISE.

Easy to do terribly, fucken hard as poo poo to do right

Stupid pointless things done thus far:
Wrote a dependency generator for ISE projects
Wrote a dependency generator for EDK projects
Figured out how to generate coregens on the command line to avoid putting ngcs in the repo
Figured out how to conditionally set ISE parameters from the command line
Killed self literally, I am a ghost now

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Poopernickel posted:

Killed self literally, I am a ghost now

stay safe Xilinx ghost

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Poopernickel posted:

I might be kind of retarded but what for-loop construct does sysV have that V2001 doesnt? I use for-loops in generate statements and function calls all the time and it synthesizes ok with xst

break; and continue;

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

movax posted:

fs, sf and temperature. ff/ss if you're unlucky

i don't know what these things mean

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Bloody posted:

i don't know what these things mean

asic nerdspeak for chip-fab process variance

it puts the P in PVT

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
wot is a good general purpose tip to get

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1PC-T12-Series-Solder-Iron-Tips-for-Hakko-Soldering-Station-FX-951-FX-952-/251734782842

or should i just get all of them

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T12-Series-Solder-Iron-Tips-for-Hakko-Soldering-Station-FX-951-FX-952-/251860177741

e: ill mainly be doing repair/maintenance on audio stuff so mostly through-hole or point-to-point soldering

Chill Callahan fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 1, 2015

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i use something fatter than a fine tip for just about everything i do ranging from 0201s to through hole so i dunno a good general purpose tip of a moderate size

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
depends,
people who like chisel-tips are shitlords who hate conical tips and will tell you they are poo poo.
people who like conical tips are shitlords who hate chisel-tips and will tell you they are poo poo.

buy them all and use the ones you like.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Wild EEPROM posted:

depends,
people who like chisel-tips are shitlords who hate conical tips and will tell you they are poo poo.
people who like conical tips are shitlords who hate chisel-tips and will tell you they are poo poo.

chisel/screwdriver tips are pretty versatile cause you can get a big surface area on the flat or a small surface area on the edge. cones are good cause you can just go further up on the cone i guess. i like the former but the latter is fine if you like that

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

i prefereert chisel it's better for smd work

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

i like chisel tip, i feel like they heat better than point tips. it's really personal pref tho

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Wild EEPROM posted:

depends,

:agreed:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

movax posted:

if i were to install the Xilinx tools on Linux, would that be sufficient for new development if I just did everything through makefiles? or does the tooling really insist on an IDE-generated project file and so on, even for command-line builds?

kind of like the IDE that I work on does

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

eschaton posted:

if i were to install the Xilinx tools on Linux, would that be sufficient for new development if I just did everything through makefiles? or does the tooling really insist on an IDE-generated project file and so on, even for command-line builds?

kind of like the IDE that I work on does

I haven't had the chance to play with Vivado yet, but if you're on 6-series FPGAs (like the Spartan 6), then you're stuck with Xilinx ISE.

It's not too hard to do a pure non-IDE Makefile-based approach for simplish designs, and maybe even a coregen or two - once you start to throw EDK in the mix, it turns into waaayyy more of a clusterfuck trying to do the whole thing with a non-project flow.

of course I just finished automating an ISE-based flow with Make (using xtclsh and xps -nw), and it was a pretty rough ride too so I dunno

Project-based gotchas that I had to deal with:
1) Out of the box, some of the GUI tools are broken on other linuxes than RHEL6/Centos 6 - I did mine on Fedora, and I had to dick around with some library stuff to get the tools running. Some of the obscure GUI stuff still doesn't work (FPGAEditor, I'm looking at you)
2) It was a pain in the rear end to do the dependency-tracking in Make - I had to write python helper scripts to generate .d files
3) Some of the compilation steps are fundamentally grouped-output kinds of things, where one process has a bunch of dependencies and produces a pile of files. Handling that properly in Make is surprisingly hard to do robustly
4) If you're doing a project-based flow and controlling the tools with xtclsh or xps -nw, the tools sometimes want to change the timestamps on their project files even if nothing changes. My makefiles set the project files to read-only before calling the tools, and change them back afterwards

edit: the silver lining is that the Linux tools really run a lot faster than their Windows equivalents

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Mar 2, 2015

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
on the bright side I learned a shitload about a bunch of make's obscure features so :shepface:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

fpgas: not even once

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

Wild EEPROM posted:

depends,

I love the bent conical tips, at an old job they had some nearly 90-degree bent tips and they were super nice. I only have some 45 degree ones but they are still real good.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Zaxxon posted:

I love the bent conical tips, at an old job they had some nearly 90-degree bent tips and they were super nice. I only have some 45 degree ones but they are still real good.

those are the business for SMT parts. i use a real small bent conical for SMT and a big wide chisel tip for through hole stuff

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Sagebrush posted:

I really like the look of the rigol 2072 or whichever one is the $800 one with the fast update and density plotting to look like an analog scope

EEV blog guy says it's a great "entry level good" dso too so that's a big plus

we just got a ds1104Z (bit lower sampling rate, more channels, same ULTRAVISION) at the lab here. It hasn't died yet, but we're not throwing the box out either (thanks rigol).

I'll stick with my old tektronix for now though.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

movax posted:

pcie

fpgas have hard ip for it and it's fast as hell

otherwise for usb, find a mcu that has a decent (lol) usb peripheral or get a ulpi usb xcvr and strap that to a fpga

ftdis are probably the most decent option, they have tons of poo poo they can do in silicon -- the ft2232 can do a ton of stuff with its mpsse (i2c, spi, jtag, etc)

im back to this problem (lol)

i have an fpga dev board with an ulpi chip on it but i have no ulpi ip and i cant find any and im reading the spec and it sounds tedious as gently caress why isnt this easier

said dev board also has pci-e 1x and i think ip for it but at some point i want to hook this to a laptop and said laptop probably doesnt have expressport and i know i dont have an adapter and we could buy all these things but i suspect usb would just be preferable

it also has some gigE phy but it doesnt seem to have a data sheet and i think sgmii is just a different flavor of nightmare from ulpi so w/e

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

basically ive got an fpga sourcing 25 mbits of data and i want to get it into a pc. in the future it will be sourcing more like 100 mbits but right now i mostly care about the 25 mbit case.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

[yak shaving intensifies]

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

and no i havent spent the past 5 months on this yak there were many yaks that came and went in between i just happen to now be back on a yak from 5 months ago

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Bloody posted:

im back to this problem (lol)

i have an fpga dev board with an ulpi chip on it but i have no ulpi ip and i cant find any and im reading the spec and it sounds tedious as gently caress why isnt this easier

said dev board also has pci-e 1x and i think ip for it but at some point i want to hook this to a laptop and said laptop probably doesnt have expressport and i know i dont have an adapter and we could buy all these things but i suspect usb would just be preferable

it also has some gigE phy but it doesnt seem to have a data sheet and i think sgmii is just a different flavor of nightmare from ulpi so w/e

with gigE you at least don't need to worry about usb drivers or any poo poo - do teh gigz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Poopernickel posted:

with gigE you at least don't need to worry about usb drivers or any poo poo - do teh gigz

there seems to be ip available for it too but lol now im bottlenecked by needing to update my ide and it is yankin my chain

• Locked thread