Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Bovril Delight posted:

When the bulb is in tiny little pieces from smashing into something there is no way you can tell.

It's about the filament. A burning bulb will pop the filament when broken, where a bulb that's off doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodbyeTurtles
Aug 18, 2012

:suezo:

I was driving home from work around lunchtime today when it started hailing pretty heavily and by the time I got home there was over an inch of hail settled on the ground so the roads got a little slippery, which was actually a bit fun in the Clio even when driving carefully.

On the way home before the hail had settled someone panic stopped from 30 in the middle of traffic (and in front of me) as the hail got a little heavier, for context the hail we get here is about the size of a pea at the very largest (and quite soft) so this was a little odd / stupid.

On the way back to work after a quick toilet stop all of the settled hail on the main roads had melted, but people were still driving around at 15mph in the 30 zones with one person just stopping in the middle of the road at the top of a short hill (which was by this point just a bit damp).

Have these people never encountered weather before? Now I see why this country is totally hosed when it snows.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Here in Kentucky we had almost a foot of snow last week, it's been sunny enough to melt most everything off of any car and the roads are all fine. Coming home from work today I saw a Del Sol with no snow on the car, anywhere, except covering the entire passenger side windshield. Seriously dude, five seconds, you don't even need a scraper.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8tpAbTftH8

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

I love this. "Let's put the TV van in front of the only place to cross; forcing the drivers to drive to the hole and then make a quick lanechange."

Brilliant.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

Have these people never encountered weather before? Now I see why this country is totally hosed when it snows.

If there is ever a freak snowstorm in Phoenix, the roads will be the most hilarious and yet terrifying thing on the entire planet.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Well it almost happened again. Another idiot who can't see a bright white huge jeep with lights on and decides to want to merge into a wheel the size of their door.

This one also ran a red light and crawled through the intersection at about 2mph. He is literally in the middle of the intersection for ~9 seconds after we got a green light. I held the horn down for a while to account for his non stop loving up. I wish I could walk behind him for the rest of the evening holding a foghorn down near his head so everyone knows when this rear end in a top hat is nearby and can steer clear.
My windscreen is dirty which is why everything's hazy looking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ81Dx84lpI

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Dude, you were between them and McDonald's, what's not to get

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

tuna posted:

Well it almost happened again. Another idiot who can't see a bright white huge jeep with lights on and decides to want to merge into a wheel the size of their door.

It was pretty obvious he was going to try to merge right, especially since they were signaling right before completing the turn. Maybe you should have just rolled off the gas a little and chilled out.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

monsterzero posted:

It was pretty obvious he was going to try to merge right, especially since they were signaling right before completing the turn. Maybe you should have just rolled off the gas a little and chilled out.

Don't loving victim blame, dude.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

tuna posted:

This one also ran a red light and crawled through the intersection at about 2mph. He is literally in the middle of the intersection for ~9 seconds after we got a green light. I held the horn down for a while to account for his non stop loving up. I wish I could walk behind him for the rest of the evening holding a foghorn down near his head so everyone knows when this rear end in a top hat is nearby and can steer clear.
My windscreen is dirty which is why everything's hazy looking.

You blocked that guy's lane change you dick

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Hold on let me accommodate some gently caress head who just blatantly ran a red light and wants to make two lane changes immediately after doing so.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

Hold on let me accommodate some gently caress head who just blatantly ran a red light and wants to make two lane changes immediately after doing so.

Whats the alternative? Block them and escalate the situation or get into an accident?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Bovril Delight posted:

Whats the alternative? Block them and escalate the situation or get into an accident?

Yes

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Generally I try to avoid aggressive drivers instead of loving with them

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

It wasn't my intention to lane block him, I was simply speeding up after the incredibly slow intersection scenario. I waited until I knew he wasn't going to just drift into my lane like he had drifted through the intersection, I sped up, and then he did end up suddenly coming into my lane. Notice how even with my lights shining into his passenger window and a horn going off 2ft away from him he didn't do any correction to his merge at all? I laid on the horn because I was pretty fed up at this point (and to let him know I was there).

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You were going slowly as well and he had his signal on early....50/50. He changed lanes right when you gassed it for whatever reason.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I just took a cab home because I left my car at home, and didn't think I'd end up being out of walking distance when I left home (but, poo poo happens...) Dude had no loving clue where he was going, was constantly loving around with his phone and GPS, and ran a 4-way stop. Like, I get that drunk driving is really bad and dangerous, but, honestly, I'd rather drive myself drunk than have a guy like this driving me. Even piss drunk, I can recognize stop signs (and, no, I have never actually driven drunk, and I probably never will).

I got his medallion number and will be calling it in. It was absolutely unacceptable from any driver, much less a professional driver.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Generally I try to avoid aggressive drivers instead of loving with them

So beta. You can't let them win. You gotta pass them on the right and brake check 'em. Preferably with burnt-out tail bulbs, which the CSI lab will testify were working in court. :ssh:

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
2 nights in a row, on the same poorly lit 4mi stretch of freeway, I drove by 4 different people driving with drls or no lights at all in black cars.

But I didn't come out here to rage about unsafe drivers; but rather I'm here to say I figured out how to properly signal to a driver to turn their lights are on. I've tried the flash the brights thing, but unless the traffic is oncoming these drivers are often too thick-skulled to take the hint. It might be that my coupe is on the low side compared to the Crossovers I flash, but I could count the amount of drivers I've had it work on in a lifetime on my hands. I've heard goons suggest cycling your lights off/on is better understood, but I've only had it work once.

What I did for all 4 of these drivers, was speed match alongside them, extend your arm straight out the window with a closed fist, and open/close it a few times. When they turn their lights on, give them a thumbs up. It worked right away on all 4 of these drivers and I was loving amazed.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You can also use that with motorcyclists who forgot to click off their turn signal.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

nsaP posted:

You can also use that with motorcyclists who forgot to click off their turn signal.

Yeah but it goes without saying motorcyclists actually understand hand signals. What amazed me without getting all hurr durr racist is that pretty much 100% of the drivers I see running no lights at night fall under the demographic of "clearly first generation immigrant 4 year Microsoft work contract people aged 30+ who have never driven a car in their life" and they actually understood what I was trying to tell them.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

PT6A posted:

I just took a cab home because I left my car at home, and didn't think I'd end up being out of walking distance when I left home (but, poo poo happens...) Dude had no loving clue where he was going, was constantly loving around with his phone and GPS, and ran a 4-way stop. Like, I get that drunk driving is really bad and dangerous, but, honestly, I'd rather drive myself drunk than have a guy like this driving me. Even piss drunk, I can recognize stop signs (and, no, I have never actually driven drunk, and I probably never will).

I got his medallion number and will be calling it in. It was absolutely unacceptable from any driver, much less a professional driver.

Sounds about on par for any taxicab in Denver. I don't know where these companies hire these loving people, but every cabbie I've seen has driven like a moron, rear end in a top hat or both.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Protocol7 posted:

Sounds about on par for any taxicab in Denver. I don't know where these companies hire these loving people, but every cabbie I've seen has driven like a moron, rear end in a top hat or both.

It's especially infuriating, because they're in the midst of fighting against Uber, with claims that the drivers would be unsafe (like my cabbie), would not have an adequate knowledge of map-reading and city geography (like my cabbie), etc., etc.

I know there are a few valid criticisms of Uber, and I'm not sold on the concept as a whole, but when actual, professionally-licensed and approved taxis are this bad, how's Uber or anything else going to be any worse? If you need a GPS to find an address in downtown Calgary, you may be retarded (it's a numbered grid system with absolutely no tricks, exceptions or gotchas). If you still manage to gently caress it up, you're definitely retarded. If you manage to gently caress it up and run a stop sign in the process, there's some doubt as to whether you're even a great ape at that point, I think.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Uber and Lyft drivers are usually pretty nice, and give you free candy because if they drop below a 4 star rating on the app, they get fired.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Geirskogul posted:

It's about the filament. A burning bulb will pop the filament when broken, where a bulb that's off doesn't.
Serious science question because I have no idea:

What happens in a crash when the car has LEDs?

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 4, 2020

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

CannonFodder posted:

Serious science question because I have no idea:

What happens in a crash when the car has LEDs?

The LEDs get smushed.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to warrant an entry in the list of failure modes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LED_failure_modes

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Extra posted:

Being an uber/lyft driver seems like a neat way to get extorted and make no money.

Meh, no difference than other lower-income-tier jobs. And way less startup capital than becoming a taxi driver. I might drive for Uber on weekends to make some extra cash, I've heard you can get a good $10-12 an hour out of it after subtracting gas, but not wear and tear. I like driving so the wear and tear I could stomach.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Speaking of Uber (I use Lyft and SideCar; gently caress Uber and their price gouging), there was interesting article posted on the Huffington Post posted yesterday about them. Obviously take it with a grain of salt.

quote:

GM is worth around $60 billion, and has over 200,000 employees. Its front-line workers earn from $19 to $28.50 an hour, with benefits.

Uber is estimated to be worth some $40 billion, and has 850 employees. Uber also has over 163,000 drivers (as of December -- the number is expected to double by June), who average $17 an hour in Los Angeles and Washington, D.C., and $23 an hour in San Francisco and New York.

But Uber doesn't count these drivers as employees. Uber says they're "independent contractors."

What difference does it make?

For one thing, GM workers don't have to pay for the machines they use. But Uber drivers pay for their cars -- not just buying them but also their maintenance, insurance, gas, oil changes, tires, and cleaning. Subtract these costs and Uber drivers' hourly pay drops considerably.

For another, GM's employees get all the nation's labor protections.

These include Social Security, a 40-hour workweek with time-and-a-half for overtime, worker health and safety, worker's compensation if injured on the job, family and medical leave, minimum wage, pension protection, unemployment insurance, protection against racial or gender discrimination, and the right to bargain collectively.

Not to forget Obamacare's mandate of employer-provided health care.

Uber workers don't get any of these things. They're outside the labor laws.

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-reich/why-were-all-becoming-independent-contractors_b_6731760.html

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That ended far better than I expected.

Solar Coaster posted:

I love this. "Let's put the TV van in front of the only place to cross; forcing the drivers to drive to the hole and then make a quick lanechange."

Brilliant.

Also, this. Why the gently caress :psyduck:

The Locator posted:

If there is ever a freak snowstorm in Phoenix, the roads will be the most hilarious and yet terrifying thing on the entire planet.

I was so, so glad that the snow on New Year's Eve didn't manage to stick long enough to do anything like that.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Solar Coaster posted:

Speaking of Uber (I use Lyft and SideCar; gently caress Uber and their price gouging), there was interesting article posted on the Huffington Post posted yesterday about them. Obviously take it with a grain of salt.

Uber: We just had an app idea to get people to give each other lifts around town for a nominal fee.

Uber Career Driver: Well I've decided your cell phone app is my career now, give me more money.

Uber: You are now banned from our app.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

As bad as Uber/Lyft have the possibility to be, they're the lesser of two evils compared to local taxi comissions.

In calgary, it takes 45-60 minutes to get a cab, Often, for the cost of a round trip, i can call enterprise, rent a car for a day for $30, and get them to come pick me up. That doesn't always make more sense, like if you're going to the airport and leaving, but sometimes it does.

During the stampede, you can't get a cab no way no how. Uber wouldn't really help there because their surge pricing would make it cheaper to hire a taxi at 9am and get it to sit and wait for you whenever you need to go anywhere.

And everytime it comes up, the taxi comission fights the addition of new plates, because the scarcity of the plates and demand for taxis makes their plates worth $150,000 a piece.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

Solar Coaster posted:

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-reich/why-were-all-becoming-independent-contractors_b_6731760.html

It's no different than how every major trucking outfit treats independent contractors and owner operators, it's been going on for decades.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Today at work I overheard someone say "Remember, 4 wheel drive doesn't help you stop" :unsmith:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I had an uber driver with a full electric Nissan Leaf. I asked about how it held up range wise with the use, and he told me about his clever cheat of the system. In the smallish city where I was, there was a shopping mall that had free electric car charging stations. After every call he'd just go back there and plug in until another fair came up.

Dude had it figured out man.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

`Nemesis posted:

I had an uber driver with a full electric Nissan Leaf. I asked about how it held up range wise with the use, and he told me about his clever cheat of the system. In the smallish city where I was, there was a shopping mall that had free electric car charging stations. After every call he'd just go back there and plug in until another fair came up.

Dude had it figured out man.

If he has enough time to go back to the mall every time it sounds like he's not making a lot in fares, and also a ton of downtime where you're not doing anything or getting paid.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Bovril Delight posted:

If he has enough time to go back to the mall every time it sounds like he's not making a lot in fares, and also a ton of downtime where you're not doing anything or getting paid.

But if he had two Leafs and could swap them out as they got low on power? Think of the possibilities!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Uthor posted:

But if he had two Leafs and could swap them out as they got low on power? Think of the possibilities!

Better yet, just get a small trailer and add a bunch of batteries on it for a range extender!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Bovril Delight posted:

Maybe the mall is in a central location and it makes sense to sort of 'home base' there?