Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rap Three Times
Aug 2, 2013

Thrice, not twice, nay not four times either.
Grimey Drawer

Jo posted:

Oh neat. I'm glad someone did it before. Downloading.

Also, check out http://alice.pandorabots.com/

There's a bot that responds to your input and does so rather naturally. It's free to download (and presumably take apart also for your corpus linguistics). You would need to put additional markers in to carry a plot but it might save you some time with getting word groups together.

E: Um, maybe it's not free to download afterall. It's cheap though!

Rap Three Times fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Feb 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pi Mu Rho
Apr 25, 2007

College Slice
I have to stop game development for a couple of weeks to do some Real Work, so I spent some time tidying things up a bit.

Of course, then I had to add in some screen shake effects. Then, after a discussion in #sagamedev, the colours were deemed to be just a bit too flat.
Bring on the bloom!
<3 #sagamedev goons

(animated, click to view)

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Jo posted:

Oh neat. I'm glad someone did it before. Downloading.

While not ideal, there was a radio program I listened to once that was about a very early "computer therapist". It used parts of what someone said and turned it into a question back to them. It was a very basic psychological technique, so it wasn't hard to do. Amusingly it caused a bit of an uproar over computers replacing psychologists and how terrible it was. It was originally only an experiment, but the guy who did it discovered his patients actually became attached to it. The best part was when he came in one day he found his secretary disclosing rather personal information to it, and asked he leave so they could continue.

What I'm trying to say is that, if it can't figure out what to say, a kind of "cheap" or "lazy" response to default back on may be to take that approach to turn it back on the player. "Why would you want X?" Etc. then it gives the computer more information to potentially make a better response.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Pi Mu Rho posted:

I have to stop game development for a couple of weeks to do some Real Work, so I spent some time tidying things up a bit.

Of course, then I had to add in some screen shake effects. Then, after a discussion in #sagamedev, the colours were deemed to be just a bit too flat.
Bring on the bloom!
<3 #sagamedev goons

(animated, click to view)
I don't think those colours work, the brightness/contrast is kinda backwards.

As a rough guide, black is 0% brightness, blue is 15%, red is 35%, green is 50%, white is 100%. Taking this into account you've got a player ship close to invisibility and middling enemy shots which don't particularly stand out. You can only plainly see the shots when they're against the background.

Normally a player object is very bright if the background is dark, and enemy shots flash or have solid white cores etc. They're given high contrast because they're critical to gameplay and higher contrast is easier to distinguish. Contrast and importance should reflect one another.

The enemy ship looks kinda flat because with the super high variation in contrast it looks like it's covered in neon lights, yet nothing is being lit by them. It doesn't help that the background is the same colour as most of the block. Making the base colour a dimmer less saturated version of the neon colour would help with both of those issues. It would be easier to make out the shapes too.

Rough mockup of what I'm suggesting (apologies for mutilating your game :v:):

Original:

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
I don't know if this is relevant to other people's interests here, but I've been working on my map editing tool Grid Cartographer lately. I did some actual computer science "algorithm" work to generate the outline around a union of rectangles and it was pretty tough to work out! What I do is scan along the X and Y axes independently generating a list of leading and trailing edges of the rectangles. I then split those edges against perpendicular edges from any intersecting rectangles, pruning out all the internal segments and finally merging any overlaps into fewer segments to optimise rendering. It was pretty tough to get right with tons of edge cases to test (e.g. adjacent non-overlapping rectangles, T shapes, etc.). I'll never look at Photoshop the same way again.

That's now rigged that up as area and paint selection tools to replace my plain old one rectangle code from v2. Here's a demo, hail gooncam:

To add some more relevance to my post you can export maps from this into XML and I'd be interested to hear from anyone looking for a 3rd-party map editor for some Wizardry-esque project as to what features you'd want from this, both as an editor and from the data format. For example I know someone here is making a cool hotel themed crawler and they had made their own editor, so if they had any special requirements that'd be great to know about if I'm going to make this a more useful dev tool.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat

Nition posted:

In terms of other games like Facade, Starship Titanic had a fairly nice natural language parser. It wasn't anything amazing but it worked fairly well.

:stare: A game by Douglas Adams. How did I never hear about this?

Bel Monte posted:

While not ideal, there was a radio program I listened to once that was about a very early "computer therapist". It used parts of what someone said and turned it into a question back to

ELIZA. It's one of the first things we covered in our AI course. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELIZA It's perhaps not an ideal solution, but if I get really into the lore and decide I want to make this game even if NLP isn't working, maybe that's the way to go.

Pi Mu Rho
Apr 25, 2007

College Slice

Spatial posted:

I don't think those colours work, the brightness/contrast is kinda backwards.

As a rough guide, black is 0% brightness, blue is 15%, red is 35%, green is 50%, white is 100%. Taking this into account you've got a player ship close to invisibility and middling enemy shots which don't particularly stand out. You can only plainly see the shots when they're against the background.

Normally a player object is very bright if the background is dark, and enemy shots flash or have solid white cores etc. They're given high contrast because they're critical to gameplay and higher contrast is easier to distinguish. Contrast and importance should reflect one another.

The enemy ship looks kinda flat because with the super high variation in contrast it looks like it's covered in neon lights, yet nothing is being lit by them. It doesn't help that the background is the same colour as most of the block. Making the base colour a dimmer less saturated version of the neon colour would help with both of those issues. It would be easier to make out the shapes too.

Thanks for the feedback! I genuinely appreciate it. The player ship is still pretty much a placeholder, but I see what you're saying about the contrast, and it would definitely benefit from having a lighter-coloured base. I should also point out that even with the new bloom, the GIFV conversion process sucks a lot of contrast out of the scene - it looks a lot sharper and crisper in-game.
I'll definitely experiment with higher contrast, especially for the projectiles.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Jo posted:

It's a good game, though the puzzles can be pretty obtuse. I needed a walkthrough to help in a few places, and I'd imagine just about everyone does. Fantastic world though that's a lot of fun to explore.

I haven't played it, but there's also a very old, official Hitchhker's Guide text adventure: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hitchhiker%27s_Guide_to_the_Galaxy_(video_game)

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Good god man, that looks fantastic.

My initial I'm-about-to-head-to-work question would be, do you have the ability to put things in the areas you scope out? Or designate tiles as being part of 'rooms' versus being 'corridors?' Like, through colouration or tile-by-tile designation.

Also, how is wall information stored? Is it a binary 'tile is accessible' / 'tile is inaccessible' situation, or is it a 'there is a wall between A6 and A7' situation?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Jo posted:

iirc he made Bureaucracy too which was pretty great

evilentity
Jun 25, 2010
What are you guys using for them fancy gifs?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Hidden Asbestos posted:

I don't know if this is relevant to other people's interests here, but I've been working on my map editing tool Grid Cartographer lately.

Nifty. Reminds me of a project I worked on awhile back to procedurally generate high-level Metroidvania maps:

If I recall correctly, red squares are locks, cyan are keys, blue is the "critical path" (with yellow being the detour to a key), brown are random pointless detours, purple are elevators, and it's supposed to also generate shortcuts (since the path is nonlinear, natch) but I had trouble getting them working.

Never did actually fill in the terrain or make anything out of this, but it was a fun little project.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Procedural generation is the most addictive programming task, it's so easy to invest all your time into trying to make it work because it's a ton of fun.

It's like doodling or maybe smoking crack.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Procedural generation is the most addictive programming task, it's so easy to invest all your time into trying to make it work because it's a ton of fun.

It's like doodling or maybe smoking crack.

Oh yes indeedy. I had all these parameters you could tweak for how compact to make the map, how long the critical path was, dimensions of the rooms/corridors (and how many corridors could attach to a room), twistiness of the detour tunnels and shortcuts, how much faster the shortcuts needed to be than the true path to be worth placing, etc. etc. etc.

And no game.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Looking at Unity and the Asset store here for a personal project. If I purchase something from the asset store that provides me a commercial license to use it correct? Are there user dictated stipulations such as not being able to edit voice clips / sprites / retexture models. Or am I free to do whatever with the resources paid for? I tried looking for Asset Store Licensing information but i've only found clauses about Unity's running of the Asset store.

Pi Mu Rho
Apr 25, 2007

College Slice

evilentity posted:

What are you guys using for them fancy gifs?

GoonCam

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Since sourceforge is uh, having some problems right now. There is also Gifcam. Gifcam predates gooncam and is almost equivalent but should only be used if you can't get gooncam. There is another similar program rolling around the net with a similarish name but it's got adware it in, stick to one of those two.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jo posted:

It was pretty low-key, especially in the states. I didn't even hear about it until years later.

Its got some really cool ideas going on but ultimately it has the symptoms of the point and click games of its era. It feels like a less-good Myst with some Adams flavor.

evilentity
Jun 25, 2010

Hidden Asbestos posted:

I don't know if this is relevant to other people's interests here, but I've been working on my map editing tool Grid Cartographer lately. I did some actual computer science "algorithm" work to generate the outline around a union of rectangles and it was pretty tough to work out! What I do is scan along the X and Y axes independently generating a list of leading and trailing edges of the rectangles. I then split those edges against perpendicular edges from any intersecting rectangles, pruning out all the internal segments and finally merging any overlaps into fewer segments to optimise rendering. It was pretty tough to get right with tons of edge cases to test (e.g. adjacent non-overlapping rectangles, T shapes, etc.). I'll never look at Photoshop the same way again.

That's now rigged that up as area and paint selection tools to replace my plain old one rectangle code from v2. Here's a demo, hail gooncam:

To add some more relevance to my post you can export maps from this into XML and I'd be interested to hear from anyone looking for a 3rd-party map editor for some Wizardry-esque project as to what features you'd want from this, both as an editor and from the data format. For example I know someone here is making a cool hotel themed crawler and they had made their own editor, so if they had any special requirements that'd be great to know about if I'm going to make this a more useful dev tool.

Pretty cool! Ive used a little more brute force approach...
+ tile generator:

E: ShadowPlay + Photoshop works reasonably well, but is expensive.

evilentity fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 23, 2015

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

Thats drat slick

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

evilentity posted:

+ tile generator:

I'm getting flashbacks of the warcraft2 map editor here. :corsair:

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
I came across the old magazine reviews from the games that I wrote back in the mid-to-late 90s last month, and have only just got around to putting them online.

I really should try and release a solid game for a change...

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

GazChap posted:

I came across the old magazine reviews from the games that I wrote back in the mid-to-late 90s last month, and have only just got around to putting them online.

I really should try and release a solid game for a change...

Haha that's pretty inspirational, actually. Did you ever finish Aliens: Homeworld?

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

zolthorg posted:

Looking at Unity and the Asset store here for a personal project. If I purchase something from the asset store that provides me a commercial license to use it correct? Are there user dictated stipulations such as not being able to edit voice clips / sprites / retexture models. Or am I free to do whatever with the resources paid for? I tried looking for Asset Store Licensing information but i've only found clauses about Unity's running of the Asset store.

You can use them for whatever you want, provided you don't redistribute them in source form(i.e. the files you get out of the .unitypackage from the Asset Store). Some assets require a license per seat which means everyone on the project using Unity needs a copy purchased for them. Assets in the asset store cannot have their own license or amend the license, unless Unity3D approves it and then it will have its own license agreement popup. I've only ever seen it for Unity3D assets(Unity Chan asset has one) or assets by companies with more expensive products(like Allegorithmic and Mixamo). Any additional licenses or amendments in the package are unenforceable and will get an asset de-listed from the store if Unity3D finds out.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]

A LOVELY LAD posted:

Thats drat slick

Somfin posted:

Good god man, that looks fantastic.

My initial I'm-about-to-head-to-work question would be, do you have the ability to put things in the areas you scope out? Or designate tiles as being part of 'rooms' versus being 'corridors?' Like, through colouration or tile-by-tile designation.

Also, how is wall information stored? Is it a binary 'tile is accessible' / 'tile is inaccessible' situation, or is it a 'there is a wall between A6 and A7' situation?

Thanks!

To answer this in reverse order would be clearer:

So, Wall information is stored within a Tile as a 2d array within a Floor array presented as a stack of storeys which form a Region which are displayed as tabs in a Map file. A tile holds information about its right and bottom edges (empty, wall or several door types) as well as a terrain type (stone, water, lava, etc.) and a marker overlay (stairs, teleporter icons, monsters here, NPCs, etc.). Also some other information is in there like a 3 bit colour index and a bit for 'this tile is dark'. With hexagons (working on them now for v3) I've extended the tile to hold a 'middle' wall that sort of fits between the bottom and the right (now folded back on itself), but in principle it's the same.

Working with square tiles holding one pair of edges has worked out well. You get the edge case of needing an extra row/column for the left and top edges but as the program is designed to make 'infinite' maps this isn't really an issue. It does come up occasionally when you mark a rectangle selection as you need to copy those left/top edges and merge them correctly when pasting. There's lots of stuff like that and as the project progresses testing is getting quite complex.

So yes you do have the ability to put things on the map as markers. You can import 'custom tiles' and paint those as if they were the built in ones. Also you can add text notes (they're presented a bit like in Excel with red notches on the tiles) which could have any sort of game data in there like encounter ids or messages for the player. Also yes you can use a simple 8 colour palette to tint things and that could be useful to further identify monster types or Doom-esque key code doors.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Nifty. Reminds me of a project I worked on awhile back to procedurally generate high-level Metroidvania maps:
That's really cool, you nailed it - I thought Super Metroid before I even read the words.

Hidden Asbestos fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 24, 2015

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

I'm working super hard this week to finish the game. I decided I'm going to live stream every day this week! I made nifty schedule for the KS backers and twitter peeps too.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

evilentity posted:

+ tile generator:

This is really really satisfying to watch.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
I just updated to a Unity 4.6, I remember reading a while back that some changes to object component references might be happening that would make it so you couldn't just say this.transform, etc. any more. Did they end up going through with this?

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

StickFigs posted:

I just updated to a Unity 4.6, I remember reading a while back that some changes to object component references might be happening that would make it so you couldn't just say this.transform, etc. any more. Did they end up going through with this?

Pretty sure that's a Unity 5 thing.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Yeah it's 5 except .transform is still valid just nothing else. Something it is also easy to miss is that .transform has been cached for a couple of 4.x versions so no need to cache it yourself anymore.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Isn't that also mostly just changing what's going on behind the scenes to be more efficient?

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
Oops that's right it was 5.0.

In that case it shouldn't be a big problem bringing my 4.3 project up to 4.6 then.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Has anyone created a ragdoll with the Ragdoll Wizard in Unity lately? It seems broken in 4.6.2, re-installing 4.5.5 to see if things work better.

edit: Yeah, it's hosed. :( Let's see if it works in 4.6.3.

Obsurveyor fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 24, 2015

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Isn't that also mostly just changing what's going on behind the scenes to be more efficient?

Previously when you did gameobject.rigidbody you were really doing gameobject.GetComponent<Rigidbody>() with the performance cost of doing so. People would clutter up their Update with .rigidbody without realizing and .transform used to be the same but now on the C++ side the .transform is already cached since every gameobject has to have a transform anyway so .transform no longer hides a GetComponent.

When you upgrade to Unity 5 the script updater just finds every time you were unintentionally calling GetComponent and turns it into an actual GetComponent call. Since I was caching everything already the updater changed little.

Obsurveyor posted:

Has anyone created a ragdoll with the Ragdoll Wizard in Unity lately? It seems broken in 4.6.2, re-installing 4.5.5 to see if thinks work better.

The wiki has the source to the wizard so you can screw around with it. Unity has mentioned ragdolls need some love. I noticed it was dodgy a while back and used it as a base to write my own version. I'd share it but it's messy and coupled pretty thoroughly to my entity setup and on non-mecanim characters their standard rig setup.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

FuzzySlippers posted:

The wiki has the source to the wizard so you can screw around with it. Unity has mentioned ragdolls need some love. I noticed it was dodgy a while back and used it as a base to write my own version. I'd share it but it's messy and coupled pretty thoroughly to my entity setup and on non-mecanim characters their standard rig setup.

Oh cool! Thanks for this, it's going to help in the future.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Weapon animations decided that they didn't want to work today. If you run into me it's your own fault.

In other news I may be kickstarting a new game, "Zombie Desert Jousting"

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Evil Sagan posted:

Haha that's pretty inspirational, actually. Did you ever finish Aliens: Homeworld?
No :( 16 year old me didn't believe in backups, and I lost everything due to a hard drive failure when I was about 70% done :(

Needless to say, I've not made the same mistake since.

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

So we managed to finish Stupid Survivor! It was supposed to be a small, quick game, but took much longer to complete than we had expected (I guess that's the usual experience?) But we´re really happy that we managed to actually make and finish something together. Here's a new gameplay trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKZwuKW-rAM

The fireman-mumbles are me! Also, it's fun to actually see something you made in the app store like a proper game. :) We'll see if we actually can manage to get any downloads except for the ones by ourselves and our grandmothers. Probably not many, but at least we've gone through the process once now and (hopefully) can learn something.

You can download the desktop demo version from our webpage if you want to: https://www.awaregames.fi

Here's a sketch of the game background (which you can see through windows). I get all nostalgic from it, as it's based on the skyline of our old hometown Vaasa.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Oh precious katana posted:

So we managed to finish Stupid Survivor! It was supposed to be a small, quick game, but took much longer to complete than we had expected (I guess that's the usual experience?) But we´re really happy that we managed to actually make and finish something together. Here's a new gameplay trailer:
Congrats! That trailer makes the game look a lot more visually solid than the previous one, the fire stands out as looking a ton better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
So I'm having this argument with our programmer, maybe you guys can shed some light on the subject....

We're now working on an adventure game called Gibbous. Super oldschool, Lucas Artsy, and everything is animated frame by frame, sprites sporting somewhere between 20 to 60 frames.

Now, initially we had the main character as 1024x1024 sprites for just about everything ( walking around, picking stuff up, talking etc). Since the project tended to bloat up to the point where it wouldn't even compile anymore, we cut some of the animation framerate in half, are now using separate sprites for when he talks to people (head is an animated sprite, we use interchangeable hand motions, the body is static etc).

Still, we've so far got one room in with two characters (main character and an NPC), and the build is 1.2 GB.

I've asked around on this thread and folks were real helpful and we managed to actually cut it down to that from 4GB (loving mipmaps!). Still, we're looking at huge file sizes, and our argument basically is - can we realistically use frame by frame animation in Unity3d without having an incredibly huge build size? I can't for the life of me imagine we're the only idiots on the planet that use cartoon-style frame by frame animation in a Unity3d game, and I keep insisting there has GOT to be some kind of technical thingamabob to bring down the filesize and make the build, well, buildable. I'm really putting all my hopes in Unity 5 but the programmer's a lot more skeptical. And he keeps suggesting we use puppet animation for NPCs. I'd rather not make the project anymore than go back to tweening stuff.

Anyone have any idea how to maintain a decent filesize/build and still not have to go below 12 frames per second animations?