Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You haven't watched Cowboy Bebop yet. You should go watch Cowboy Bebop. Dubbed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hey, anybody with a Jimenez avatar is a guy with good taste.

If you want a show that'll keep you on your toes, you can't go wrong with From The New World. Cowboy Bebop is gonna be one helluva ride as well. Both of those have decent and REALLY good dubs, respectively. If you want one of the best dubs along with a pretty sweet-rear end story, however, you can't go wrong with Baccano!.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Madoka Magica is really good. Really, really hyped, though, so if you've seen the hype your expectations might be out of whack. I think it'd fit in right nice with your like list.

If you haven't seen Cowboy Bebop, do as Neddy says.

If you haven't seen any mecha shows, I'd try Gurren Lagann for ridiculous manly action or Turn A Gundam for a more thoughtful foray into the genre.

Bodacious Space Pirates, despite the dumb name, is really good sci-fi adventure.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is yesteryear's Titan, in that it got a lot of hype and favorably introduced a lot of folk to anime. Not as much as the first FMA anime, but Brotherhood is definitely the better series to watch.

I could go on, but there's no need to overwhelm. Dub-wise, I can vouch for Bebop and FMA:B.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Baccano has a great dub, some good comedy, and a knife fight on top of a moving train.

Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis is a fun fantasy show that also has good action and comedy. And the main character has a sweet afro.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Endorph posted:

Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis is a fun fantasy show that also has good action and comedy. And the main character has a sweet afro.

Most of the stuff that's been recommended is pretty solid, but I'd like to second this - it's a pretty great show that I don't really see getting the recognition it deserves.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Fullmetal Alchemist, as in not Brotherhood.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

both are good shows but brotherhood is a lot more fun of a watch

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Brotherhood is definitely easier to watch and digest, but personally I like the original more, because it's not. Brotherhood's more comic-book-y, and if that's what you want, go for it, it's good at being that.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Let us, in the recommendation thread, finally decide which FMA series is better.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Terper posted:

Brotherhood is definitely easier to watch and digest, but personally I like the original more, because it's not. Brotherhood's more comic-book-y, and if that's what you want, go for it, it's good at being that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i can see why someone would like 2003 fma more but to me it was just an endless pile of poo poo being poured on ed and al to the point that it stopped being dramatic and i just became numb to it.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I like two things from the 2003 FMA, Brothers, and Fullmetal vs. Flame. drat near everything else is better in Brotherhood.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Thanks dudes, I think I'm gonna watch Cowboy Bebop and Baccano after that. I will do a trip report I suppose.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The Devil Tesla posted:

Let us, in the recommendation thread, finally decide which FMA series is better.

it's brotherhood

glad we sorted this out

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I've only seen Brotherhood and it owns, so thanks for clearing that up Cake.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I cannot for the life of me imagine how you could find Brotherhood Tucker and Hughes better.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The original FMA ends with one of the most retarded twists in anime history(and then they MADE A MOVIE BASED OFF THAT) and it should rightfully be buried as the inferior product

Brotherhood supremacy

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

really read the manga though

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Terper posted:

I cannot for the life of me imagine how you could find Brotherhood Tucker and Hughes better.

They're minor characters who are mainly important as backstory for Ed and Al and for Mustang, respectively. The original FMA didn't have a sense of the full scope of the manga so it made them out to be way more central than they actually are, much as it did with Rose.

tl;dr

Cake Attack posted:

really read the manga though

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
FMA OG is inferior to Brotherhood, but brotherhood is inferior to the manga because it doesn't have angry masked island rear end in a top hat guy to beat the poo poo out of Ed and Al to teach them a Hard Life Lesson

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The original has a better beginning at least. I really hate the first 20 episodes of Brotherhood and really wish people would recommend the manga instead.

E: loving cake attack :argh:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

some people are babies who don't like reading manga

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Cake Attack posted:

some people are babies who don't like reading manga

i am one of these people and i still recommend the FMA manga, because it's just that good in every respect

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Even outside of the beginning Brotherhood has some weird pacing issues since its finale came out very very close to the last chapter as well. It doesn't flow nearly as well in a lot of places and still wound up skipping some neat scenes here and there.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's still good

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Captain Invictus posted:

The original FMA ends with one of the most retarded twists in anime history(and then they MADE A MOVIE BASED OFF THAT) and it should rightfully be buried as the inferior product

Brotherhood supremacy

That twist/setting is one of my top guilty pleasures in fiction and its absence is part of the reason I'm not all that interested in watching Brotherhood.

Most of the reason is just :effort: though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh it's great in a "yep don't jump off that train going off the cliff, just ride it all the way down to oblivion" sort of way, but in a story standpoint it's incredibly stupid and that they actually ran with it to make a feature film based on it is one of the most baffling things

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
To be fair, it felt like a non-ending without that movie, though the movie's ending wasn't that much better. I always hated how the original anime had a lot of buildup with scar's character development, which then stopped and regressed when they ran out of material.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

TARDISman posted:

I like two things from the 2003 FMA, Brothers, and Fullmetal vs. Flame. drat near everything else is better in Brotherhood.
There's a place in my heart for Kasenai Tsumi as well.

The twist in 2003 FMA was in one sense an interesting solution to an unanswered question about the setting (which the manga/Brotherhood ultimately answered in a much more low-key fashion), but overall was really dumb and Conqueror of Shambala was an embarrassment.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Also manga/Brotherhood Hohenheim was cooler than 2003 Hohenheim.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
The origin of homunculi was way cooler in FMA OG (I like that nomenclature). I was immensely disappointed when I discovered it was different in Brotherhood. Their names make more sense, though, I suppose.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

The origin of homunculi was way cooler in FMA OG (I like that nomenclature).

Definitely agree with this. The OG ones have more depth, too (with the exception of Bradley).

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I love both, whachu gonna do bout that?

e: :smug:

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 24, 2015

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Both have their merits, I prefer the original, cuz that's what I saw first, also I really love the idea that magic works at all because of the reprehensible amount of death the wars of europe caused

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I agree that the OG one had some great ideas ^^ and interesting depth, but I'd have to say that Brohood wins between the two. Mostly because the OG's idiotic back and forth climax scene was, well, idiotic.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

DamnGlitch posted:

Both have their merits, I prefer the original, cuz that's what I saw first, also I really love the idea that magic works at all because of the reprehensible amount of death the wars of europe caused

Gonna go with 'that was really stupid, sorry.'

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 24, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mors Rattus posted:

Gonna go with 'that was really stupid, sorry.'

Yeah, it completely tanks any kind of wonder or pleasantry about Alchemy because holy poo poo, you just burned up someone's soul to fix a radio :stonk:

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!
People who enjoy FMA over FMA:B are probably also the kind of people that enjoy Eureka Seven: AO. Seeing as both of them share the same lead writer, are neverending piles of poo poo and misery, and have retarded endings.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
FMA an FMA:B are enjoyable and good in different ways. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
OG handled Nina much better.

• Locked thread