Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

McDragon posted:

Also it's fun getting really out of place stuff. I had one that stuck a modern house into Oblivion that stuck out like a sore thumb. All Ikea furniture and light switches and stuff. I need to start reading that mods thread again, that was always good for a laugh.

I don't know if I'm just in a great mood right now, but reading this made me genuinely laugh out loud, and now my co-workers are probably wondering what the gently caress I'm doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

McDragon posted:

I love those sorts of portable base mods for games like this. Morrowind had a pretty amazing TARDIS you could teleport around and stuff, ridiculously detailed inside as well, Oblivion and Fallout 3 both had ones that were less impressive outside but still teleported around and stuff, but I could never find any for New Vegas or Skyrim. Plenty of mods that did the same thing, but a TARDIS just feels more special.
Yeah, you uh missed a pretty big New Vegas one: http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/50132/

It's a really drat impressive piece of work, I'm no Doctor Who fan but I had a loving blast playing through it and playing with all the cool toys it gives you.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

McDragon posted:

I'm thinking mainly of the messing around ones I think. Clear Skies and Call of Valor and Storm Call aren't very useful but they can be fun. Dragonrend though, that one is something I'd like earlier.

Dragonrend has always been more of pain in the rear end to me than anything, since 9 times out 10 the dragon will land on top of a mountain or miles away from me. So by the time I get to it the thing is airborne again.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

McDragon posted:

I'm thinking mainly of the messing around ones I think. Clear Skies and Call of Valor and Storm Call aren't very useful but they can be fun. Dragonrend though, that one is something I'd like earlier.

Dragonrend is good but you can generally only hit them with it when they land anyway. By the time I'd got the shout I was powerful enough to one shot anything under a legendary dragon so it was less hassle to just hit the drat thing.

Storm Call was great fun to watch but I mistakenly used it inside Markarth once and fried a bunch of guards and civilians. Cue a reset and Storm Call dropping instantly to poo poo tier.

The power jump call is best. Booming round cities and upsetting guards like a jet plane in a steel helmet. Love it.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

darkwasthenight posted:

Dragonrend is good but you can generally only hit them with it when they land anyway. By the time I'd got the shout I was powerful enough to one shot anything under a legendary dragon so it was less hassle to just hit the drat thing.

You can easily hit them when they stop and hover in the air to attack, but it's kind of a crapshoot whether they'll do that or just land. If you do hit them while they're on the ground, they'll just take off and land again shortly so if you can't kill them in one go it can be helpful.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

darkwasthenight posted:

Storm Call was great fun to watch but I mistakenly used it inside Markarth once and fried a bunch of guards and civilians. Cue a reset and Storm Call dropping instantly to poo poo tier.

The power jump call is best. Booming round cities and upsetting guards like a jet plane in a steel helmet. Love it.

There is a mod to make Storm Call chill out, thank god.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
So I have been playing Rayman: Legends and it is everything my younger self could have hoped for after I beat Rayman on the Dreamcast and GBA. Seriously, get it, it is an amazingly well done platformer that really nails that sense of accomplishment you get when platforming flawlessly in a well-made game. I was worried during the first few levels because they were crazy-easy and I thought I had picked up a true kid's game by mistake, but very very quickly that notion was dispelled. Anyways, here are two little things I love. The first is that the credits are fully destructible, meaning you can jump around punching the Korean Localization Expert's name out of the air, letter by letter. Even better is that the game pays you for it. The second is the final stage you unlock, generally a couple stages after the credits have rolled. Throughout the game you are rewarded for beating bosses with (spoiled because it is a neat surprise, not because of any plot relevance) rhythm stages, where you platform to the beat of such things as a mariachi version of Eye of the Tiger. The last few stages are more of these, with a twist. The music is rendered in an 8-bit style and the stages have bizarre visual effects (such as an exteme fisheye lens, one effect per stage) seen nowhere else that make timed platforming a LOT harder. The very final stage... well... it does this:

http://youtu.be/o5r1Vl5XcMk

Do not click that video if you want to maintain the "holy poo poo" moment for yourself, if you ever play the game. I am going to stress here that I used absolutely no editing of ANY kind making that, that is a direct rip from the game. In addition, all mechanics remain intact, the game does not hold your hand in any way when that poo poo goes down. I finished that stage after a few tries feeling genuinely accomplished, which has only ever happened in regards to Dark Souls, and makes me feel a bit ridiculous.

Fuckin' Rayman, bless your heart.

Samfucius has a new favorite as of 06:50 on Feb 24, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
At first I was like "oh he must be talking about the last rhythm level yeah I heard that was batshit hard", and then I read the spoiler and clicked on the video and it's just like holy crap what a bunch of crazy bullshit :stare:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CJacobs posted:

At first I was like "oh he must be talking about the last rhythm level yeah I heard that was batshit hard", and then I read the spoiler and clicked on the video and it's just like holy crap what a bunch of crazy bullshit :stare:

Oh hey, it only expands out to quad-vision, that doesn't seem so ba-:stonk:

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

Mein Gott!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
So... to my knowledge the rhythm stages are remixes, what song was that? Or was that an original composition/a remix of something from the game itself?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cleretic posted:

So... to my knowledge the rhythm stages are remixes, what song was that? Or was that an original composition/a remix of something from the game itself?

The rhythm stage (that one) is a mix of the game's own music.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Also worth mentioning is that these stages have no checkpoints whatsoever.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Monster Hunter 4U and more in the series have you hunting monsters and keeping track of them as they run around the map is done by tagging them with a paintball or paint round. There's also this hot air balloon above all the maps which one can assume would be how your keeping track of the monsters. Well if you forget to tag the monster or it wears off and the monster runs off and you cant find it you can look at the hot air balloon and use the wave gesture and the person on the balloon will look for the monster and mark it on your map for you if your lucky.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sad lions posted:

Also worth mentioning is that these stages have no checkpoints whatsoever.

Yes they do. The remixed versions don't though.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yes they do. The remixed versions don't though.

Sorry, that's what I meant.

That game has a great difficulty curve to it. The dark rayman challenges are also quite something (he is basically a ghost of your actions but while racing against the clock and beating enemies if he touches or hits you you have to start the challenge from scratch).

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

Sad lions posted:

Sorry, that's what I meant.

That game has a great difficulty curve to it. The dark rayman challenges are also quite something (he is basically a ghost of your actions but while racing against the clock and beating enemies if he touches or hits you you have to start the challenge from scratch).

I literally just finished beating my first one of these, godamn that was some finicky but also spot on gameplay. There was clearly a hyper-specific pattern you needed to follow to beat the stage in under 40 seconds, and figuring it out was really fun. By best run was 38 seconds but overall I probably spent 15 minutes dialing it in. I'll probably see that stage when I close my eyes now.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just played the Mario Kart 8 DLC for the first time, that poo poo was loving AWESOME.

The Excitebike stage nearly brought tears to my eyes, Excitebike is the first game I ever played back in 87, it had the classic music, all the ramps, even the little bars during the countdown before the race starts.

The Zelda course was full of amazing little details and, the item roulette sound effect is replaced by the item jingle of Zelda games and coins are rupees instead, even the coin item turns into rupee, there's also a little secret if you bump into 3 gem things while going down a set of stairs that lets you jump through the master sword complete with the Zelda jingle you would expect.

The F-zero course replaced the starting sound effects with the F-Zero ones and the energy strips give you coins instead.

Really looking forward to the next ones.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

In Majoras Mask 3ds when you spin as deku Link the arrow on the map spins. I don't remember that happening on the 64 but it may have.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

In F-Zero GX, when you spin the Blue Falcon, the little icon of Captain Falcon also spins.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Samfucius posted:

The very final stage... well... it does this:

http://youtu.be/o5r1Vl5XcMk

Do not click that video if you want to maintain the "holy poo poo" moment for yourself, if you ever play the game. I am going to stress here that I used absolutely no editing of ANY kind making that, that is a direct rip from the game. In addition, all mechanics remain intact, the game does not hold your hand in any way when that poo poo goes down. I finished that stage after a few tries feeling genuinely accomplished, which has only ever happened in regards to Dark Souls, and makes me feel a bit ridiculous.

Fuckin' Rayman, bless your heart.

CJacobs posted:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh hey, it only expands out to quad-vision, that doesn't seem so ba-:stonk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_88vSxoe1vM

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
In MGS4 you can sneak up behind enemies and hold them up. Once the enemy has surrendered to you, you can frisk them and if you hit the right button Snake crushes their enemies crotch and knocks them out.

There are female enemies in the game that you can do the same thing to. However, if you try to knock them out by crushing their balls they call you a pervert and kick you in the face. A pretty nice detail in a game well known for its small details.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Yeah, you uh missed a pretty big New Vegas one: http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/50132/

It's a really drat impressive piece of work, I'm no Doctor Who fan but I had a loving blast playing through it and playing with all the cool toys it gives you.

Oh, thanks. Looks pretty cool, will have to check it out next time I'm in a New Vegas mood I think.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Another Animal Crossing thing: if you trip while holding coffee, you'll spill it and your character will look sad. I love this game.

Also, in Starbound when you get out of liquid and you drip for a bit until you dry off.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
I love the devs making Darkest Dungeon. They put their contact info on steam for people to report bugs, so I thought I'd send in a few quick screenshots of things that were bothering me on some of my runs. Within 2-3 hours they replied and explained why some of the problems were happening, and didn't know why the others were so they put in tickets to the support guys. I apparently even managed to do something they didn't think possible or was uncommon enough that they ripped the youtube video I made of the glitch and thanked me.

Considering all the failed kickstarter projects I've backed where the devs gently caress off the second they got their money and released something I'm really enjoying this. Between this and Shadowrun I might start investing in kickstarters again.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

moosecow333 posted:

In MGS4 you can sneak up behind enemies and hold them up. Once the enemy has surrendered to you, you can frisk them and if you hit the right button Snake crushes their enemies crotch and knocks them out.

There are female enemies in the game that you can do the same thing to. However, if you try to knock them out by crushing their balls they call you a pervert and kick you in the face. A pretty nice detail in a game well known for its small details.

And you can tickle them :3:

Another Metal Gear one: Big Boss actually uses trigger discipline (at least on some guns) in Ground Zeroes. You can see his finger outside the trigger guard until he pulls the trigger.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

McDragon posted:

Really, mods in general for Bethesda open-world games. There's a lot of poo poo, but some really great things in there too. And sometimes there's stuff that's just so bad it's funny.

Also it's fun getting really out of place stuff. I had one that stuck a modern house into Oblivion that stuck out like a sore thumb. All Ikea furniture and light switches and stuff. I need to start reading that mods thread again, that was always good for a laugh.

There is a mod for New Vegas that added a underground house, unlocking it required completing a dumb quest that I think I cheated to finish. A couple things really stood out, it would follow your progress in game, and souvenirs of whatever mission you completed would show up. It had a garden where you could grow plants, and a machine where you could order supplies. The best part I saw was there was a huge weapon display rack downstairs, that had room for every single gun from all the DLC. By the end of the game, it started to look like the gun rack from The Matrix. Also you could dump all your ammo into a box, and it would sort and stack it on shelves. For some reason it was really fun to turn equipping the character into a shopping trip.
There are a bunch more that do that base thing better now, but it was neat when I first saw it.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
I like games where the stuff you get fills up physical space rather than existing offscreen.

Overlord has a treasury room in your tower that gets more and more full as you get more gold.

Mercenaries 2 has the mansion you've appropriated as your headquarters fill with every airstrike and dollar you earn. I didn't realize this until halfway through the game, when a solid wall of bombs and packs of dollar bills blocked the view from the balcony.

Fable 3 has a clever secret where your personal treasure room has a key in an elevated chamber. If you have a certain (large) amount of gold, you can walk up a hill of gold to get it.

Any others with stuff like this?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

William Bear posted:

I like games where the stuff you get fills up physical space rather than existing offscreen.

Overlord has a treasury room in your tower that gets more and more full as you get more gold.

Mercenaries 2 has the mansion you've appropriated as your headquarters fill with every airstrike and dollar you earn. I didn't realize this until halfway through the game, when a solid wall of bombs and packs of dollar bills blocked the view from the balcony.

Fable 3 has a clever secret where your personal treasure room has a key in an elevated chamber. If you have a certain (large) amount of gold, you can walk up a hill of gold to get it.

Any others with stuff like this?

Assassin's Creed 2, Brotherhood and Revelatoins have base areas with all the weapons and armor you've bought that you can swap out whenever you want.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Payday 2 has your safehouse, which has a gigantic bank vault that fills up with your spendable cash the higher it goes, and racks in the armory room that display your recently-used weapons as well as your most worn masks.

In Fallout 3 you can put all the Vault-Tec bobbleheads you collect on a stand in your various homes throughout the wasteland.

Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal has a trophy room where the various collectibles are displayed.

Dying Light sees Crane's apartment at the main safehouse get completely jammed full of poo poo as you do quests (both main and sidequests).

That's all I can think of off the top of my head that hasn't been mentioned but I guarantee there are more.

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Considering all the failed kickstarter projects I've backed where the devs gently caress off the second they got their money and released something I'm really enjoying this. Between this and Shadowrun I might start investing in kickstarters again.

Once I put up a steam review for a notgood kickstarted adventure game called AR-K, giving it a negative review over gamebreaking bugs. Then early on a Sunday morning the guy behind it contacted me and had a fix out within an hour and half.

Hobo By Design has a new favorite as of 08:36 on Feb 26, 2015

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kavak posted:

It's more that I played New Vegas in Hardcore Mode and decided I liked it for some reason.

I went further and downloaded a mod that adds new food recipes but requires you to haul a frying pan or a pressure cooker with you to be able to make them at all.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Payday 2 has your safehouse, which has a gigantic bank vault that fills up with your spendable cash the higher it goes, and racks in the armory room that display your recently-used weapons as well as your most worn masks.

In Fallout 3 you can put all the Vault-Tec bobbleheads you collect on a stand in your various homes throughout the wasteland.

Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal has a trophy room where the various collectibles are displayed.

Dying Light sees Crane's apartment at the main safehouse get completely jammed full of poo poo as you do quests (both main and sidequests).

That's all I can think of off the top of my head that hasn't been mentioned but I guarantee there are more.
Bully does this too.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

CitizenKain posted:

There is a mod for New Vegas that added a underground house, unlocking it required completing a dumb quest that I think I cheated to finish. A couple things really stood out, it would follow your progress in game, and souvenirs of whatever mission you completed would show up. It had a garden where you could grow plants, and a machine where you could order supplies. The best part I saw was there was a huge weapon display rack downstairs, that had room for every single gun from all the DLC. By the end of the game, it started to look like the gun rack from The Matrix. Also you could dump all your ammo into a box, and it would sort and stack it on shelves. For some reason it was really fun to turn equipping the character into a shopping trip.
There are a bunch more that do that base thing better now, but it was neat when I first saw it.

I definitely need to check out this mod, or one similar to it.

Gotta prove I'm the best in the Mojave :clint:

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
In the new WoW expansion there's a room in your personal garrison that gets filled up with archaeology projects as you find them, it's pretty neat.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

RareAcumen posted:

Assassin's Creed 2, Brotherhood and Revelatoins have base areas with all the weapons and armor you've bought that you can swap out whenever you want.

3 has the exact same thing. Not sure about 4, Unity, Liberation, or Rogue.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Who What Now posted:

3 has the exact same thing. Not sure about 4, Unity, Liberation, or Rogue.

AC 4 has it too.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Croccers posted:

Bully does this too.

Also Alpha Protocol. And the decorations change depending on choices made.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Also Alpha Protocol. And the decorations change depending on choices made.
And they have sound clips tied to them!
Michael Thornton :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

William Bear posted:

Isn't the chest the key unlocks under the gold pile, so to unlock it you have to amass that huge personal fortune and then spend it all?