Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

alnilam posted:

The idea of "Big Climate" never fails to amuse and infuriate.

Someone please hook me and my fellow researchers up with this Green Fat Cat, I'd love to meet him and write him some proposals.

On the other hand, oddly enough, there's never much of a shortage around here of funding for oil, gas, and coal related research... hm.

Yeah, but remember, Obama only funds you if you accept the scientific consensus on climate change. Oh those poor 5%, how will they survive without giant sacks of cash...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaskedChemist
Mar 30, 2010

Stultus Maximus posted:

It's the government. Big Government supplies billions to fund climate panic in order to get more power controlling your life.

(this is not an exaggeration. it is what they believe.)

How much do they think the government is actually spending on fake global warming research? The Koch's and their ilk aren't exactly discrete about spending billions of their own money on discrediting global warming and yet 97% of climatologists are still in the global warming is real and a serious problem camp.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

Man, he really doesn't respect his readers does he?

Female figure, draped in the American flag, wearing the statue of liberty's crown...hmmm better label her America or my audience will be like "who is this woman and why is Obama cheating on Michelle?"

I want you to think very carefully about his audience and then tell me he overlabeled

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

TheMaskedChemist posted:

How much do they think the government is actually spending on fake global warming research? The Koch's and their ilk aren't exactly discrete about spending billions of their own money on discrediting global warming and yet 97% of climatologists are still in the global warming is real and a serious problem camp.

The government actually does spend a few billion, annually, on climate-related research. Which is a very broad category. Numbers as big as "a few billion dollars" are hard to comprehend for regular humans, which won't stop Branco from saying "SEE? BILLIONS OF YOUR DOLLARS!" but honestly, a "few billion" in the federal budget isn't that much, as you're probably aware.

The situation in the research world is, there's a decent amount, but it's far from plentiful. It's "a few billion" spread out across multiple government agencies, for widely different topics, some of which are only marginally related to climate change. Surprise surprise, the subject is not easy to clearly define and the world is complicated. Let's just leave it at this: it's still far easier to be a highly-paid researcher in oil extraction science or something, than it is in climate science or anything like that.

edit: also beware, if you google around for "climate change funding us" or something, that there are a lot of non-research or even routine things that can be categorized under "climate change funding." Like, emergency preparation money for coastal towns to guard against flooding is a big one, for example.

This is another story but at one point North Carolina was (maybe still is?) in a pickle because they outlawed official state business/documents to use "controversial" terms like "climate change" or "sea level rise," which is now making it very difficult for them to apply for sea level rise flooding prep money.

alnilam fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 23, 2015

Xenochrist
Sep 11, 2006

Somfin posted:

Yeah, but remember, Obama only funds you if you accept the scientific consensus on climate change. Oh those poor 5%, how will they survive without giant sacks of cash...

Yeah, you know, those huge bags of cash the government hands out to research scientists. Swimming in cash.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Cpt.Americant posted:

Not to mention that as someone who lives in the Pacific Northwest, it's really been a very mild winter. I've gotten a grand total of about a quarter inch of snow that didn't even last the full day, and I'm already starting to move from my winter coats to spring coats on occasion. These guys really don't get the whole "global" part of global warming very well.

Seattle is well on pace for its warmest winter ever (meteorological winter, measured December 1 to February 28).

code:
2014-15 Average:           46.8
Previous Record ('91-'92): 45
Average:                   41.2

2014-15 Average High: 52
Previous Record:      50.8
Average:              46.5
Just 5.5 degrees above average, nothing to see here. Our mountains also have some of the lowest recorded levels of snowpack ever, which raises serious drought concerns for spring and summer.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

Man, he really doesn't respect his readers does he?

Female figure, draped in the American flag, wearing the statue of liberty's crown...hmmm better label her America or my audience will be like "who is this woman and why is Obama cheating on Michelle?"

This one's my favourite. What's Obama doing? Boiling a book? Using a book to make a soup? idgi :confused:

TheMaskedChemist
Mar 30, 2010

alnilam posted:

The government actually does spend a few billion, annually, on climate-related research. Which is a very broad category. Numbers as big as "a few billion dollars" are hard to comprehend for regular humans, which won't stop Branco from saying "SEE? BILLIONS OF YOUR DOLLARS!" but honestly, a "few billion" in the federal budget isn't that much, as you're probably aware.

The situation in the research world is, there's a decent amount, but it's far from plentiful. It's "a few billion" spread out across multiple government agencies, for widely different topics, some of which are only marginally related to climate change. Surprise surprise, the subject is not easy to clearly define and the world is complicated. Let's just leave it at this: it's still far easier to be a highly-paid researcher in oil extraction science or something, than it is in climate science or anything like that.

Well yeah, I'm perfectly aware of those numbers, and I'm okay with them, but if you make the assumption that scientists are just in it for the money. Then it should follow than since they've only been able to buy off 3% of the scientists that the Kochs, et al. are only spending 3% of the money. So the government must not be spending a few billion, but several hundred billion.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Somfin posted:

You know you think you'd need to bribe like, 20% of all scientists. 20% is enough to introduce doubt. 51% for the majority opinion angle. It's just overkill to bribe 95% (actually isn't the number 97 and change?).

Like, poo poo! At this point call yourself a scientist and publish a phony baloney icecaps are melting study and stick your hand out and some drones deliver the stack of hundos, it has got to be more lucrative than cartooning.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
The implicit message of the Branco cartoon is that you can't love someone unless you think every aspect of them is perfect. I'm sure he has had many healthy relationships.

Dude is surfing help wanted websites on company time at his first day. I'm going to have to side with the employers on this one.

That is one goofy looking death and robot death horse.

He's back!

Everyone remembers when Obama made this gaffe.

Didn't he already die when a mayor dropped him? Maybe this is his ghostly revenge...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

These both sound like pretty good ideas to me :confused:

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
I worked for the Census Bureau last time they did the count. They literally send common people out to the far reaches of Buttfuckistan, USA to go knock on the doors of weirdos that are literally off the map and have LORD SAVE US FROM OBAMA signs on their lawn. It was a blast to do even though I was in peril more than a few times. Yes, they really "cook the books" instead of, you know, gathering information from real people then compile the data while half-asleep.

Guess who took the easy bait?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Post 9-11 User posted:

I worked for the Census Bureau last time they did the count. They literally send common people out to the far reaches of Buttfuckistan, USA to go knock on the doors of weirdos that are literally off the map and have LORD SAVE US FROM OBAMA signs on their lawn. It was a blast to do even though I was in peril more than a few times. Yes, they really "cook the books" instead of, you know, gathering information from real people then compile the data while half-asleep.

Guess who took the easy bait?

The era of Muhammad will return within 200 years even if the clock is not altered in any way. A pro-ISIS cartoon.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Internet Webguy posted:

That is one goofy looking death and robot death horse.
Death isn't riding the robohorse, but standing upright atop it, like a circus performer. Pretty impressive.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Someone else posted the hill gif already (seriously, it's like shooting fish in a barrel blowing up an ISIL-controlled hill with how easy it is to shoot down this bullshit talking point), so I'll just post this instead:

Coalition airstrikes on the La Farge cement plant outside of Kobani. Hmm, now why would helping the Kurds re-take the La Farge cement plant from ISIL be important for helping the Kurds in Kobani Canton? It's not like Kobani had the poo poo blown out of it during the ISIL siege, and the Kurds need to start rebuilding a lot of the buildings in the town.

Nah, better just pretend Obama isn't doing anything.:rolleyes:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Branco is a literal climate change denying propagandist, paid by actual fossil fuel industry advocacy organizations. Guy has some balls to be so baldly hypocritical.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Why are those veterans "waiting for care" if they're already dead?

quote:

Good grief, how can anyone be so bad at drawing simple rooms? The floor and window are off by like 30 degrees. The guy's chair caster is floating in mid-air. Even the text on his screen isn't lining up with the monitor edges. The cubicle walls are going off like a dressing screen. I could slam a fifth of tequila in one go, wait a half hour, stick a pencil in my nostril and still draw better architecture than this. Maybe Rall needs to try that, because it couldn't possibly get much worse.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

"No no it's my distinctive style. In 30 years I'll be remembered as the father of the architectural nihilism movement in visual art."

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Internet Webguy posted:

The implicit message of the Branco cartoon is that you can't love someone unless you think every aspect of them is perfect. I'm sure he has had many healthy relationships.

There's a long precedent, in cartooning terms, for the sentiment "those uppity so-and-so's in the white house just don't love america the way us noble godfearing white folks do."

e:

Internet Webguy posted:

Everyone remembers when Obama made this gaffe.

I know what it's referring to but did Obama, himself, actually ever say a single word on the topic of poverty and terrorism?

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 23, 2015

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Xenochrist posted:

Yeah, you know, those huge bags of cash the government hands out to research scientists. Swimming in cash.
I sure remember everything looking so well funded when I went to the USGS Headquarters in Reston last year yep, I mean they were so well funded that they actually combined the Geologic Survey with the Biologic Survey :downs:

But really the USGS is cool even though their headquarters is a really ugly building

Internet Webguy posted:

Didn't he already die when a mayor dropped him? Maybe this is his ghostly revenge...
Eh Phil's been through worse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N01vThrQ40Q

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

It actually surprises me a little -- given how often MRA's say that women are unfuckable hags after age 25 -- that Muir makes pinups out of characters who are in their 40's and (presumably, at least) 60's.

Not that you can tell how old they are by the way he draws them.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Sandpuppy posted:

I'm being too fair to Branco because this clearly isn't what he means, but I think one of the issues with the VA administration was appointments being given to people who had already died because they weren't taken off waiting lists.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Mad whitey never left.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Wildeyes posted:

It actually surprises me a little -- given how often MRA's say that women are unfuckable hags after age 25 -- that Muir makes pinups out of characters who are in their 40's and (presumably, at least) 60's.

Ask how old Muir is for an answer to your ponderings

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

You think that an MRA's age determines whether he feels entitled to hump nubile young women or not. Hah.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

That really doesn't enter into it, even though it should.

Wildeyes posted:

That's the key thing, there. "Women over 25 are unfuckable hags because they don't maintain their bodies to the impossible standard that this fictional character maintains. But my fictional character, who is literally an impossible mudflap cariacture at 60, is just a stone grey fox."

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

I'd really like Ramirez to tell me what war in Michelle's lifetime she should be proud of.

That's besides the fact that America doesn't deserve much credit for the Berlin Wall falling, as far as I can tell that was more the Soviet Union just loving up.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Stultus Maximus posted:

Conservatives: known for loving America exactly as it is, with gay marriage and welfare and a black president.

I'd just point out that loving a person and refusing to let them change is what Norman Bates does in Psycho. Of courze, for the comparisson to work conservatives would need to be dressing up like the founders and psychotically pretending to be them.

TheMaskedChemist
Mar 30, 2010

Fulchrum posted:

I'd just point out that loving a person and refusing to let them change is what Norman Bates does in Psycho. Of courze, for the comparisson to work conservatives would need to be dressing up like the founders and psychotically pretending to be them.

So, it's exactly lake Bates then?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Sandpuppy posted:

Because Branco is a hack.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

forbidden lesbian posted:

I'd really like Ramirez to tell me what war in Michelle's lifetime she should be proud of.

That's besides the fact that America doesn't deserve much credit for the Berlin Wall falling, as far as I can tell that was more the Soviet Union just loving up.

Ramirez believes that being anything less than proud of any US war is equivalent to slapping that war's veterans in the face, and that Reagan personally blew the Berlin Wall down with one steely gaze.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Saint Sputnik posted:

There's a long precedent, in cartooning terms, for the sentiment "those uppity so-and-so's in the white house just don't love america the way us noble godfearing white folks do."

I've always been partly curious and partly impressed by how right wing movements, in general, are able to co-opt flag and love of country as their own. Giuliani did it just recently. They define themselves as America and political dialogue follows suit.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Sandpuppy posted:

"Wars come and go, but my soldiers stay eternal."

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

TheMaskedChemist posted:

:thejoke:

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Fulchrum posted:

This is a good post.

TheMaskedChemist posted:

:redass:

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Well there's a smiley you don't see put to use every day.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Are we so used to Catalino's laziness that we don't even comment on "the is the most brutal February in history"?

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

:brettnoel:?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Well there's a smiley you don't see put to use every day.

That's cause it's new :byob1:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

BgRdMchne posted:

Someone please tell me the story of how goons scared off a man who writes about people injecting saline into their balls.

This was 900 pages ago (sorry), but I actually remember two posts from that particular event.

some goon named TheJoker(some numbers) who posts in BSS posted:

How do you feel about this fan fiction where Spider Jerusalem works copy at the fashion desk for Cosmopolitan?

Warren Ellis posted:

I want to literally shove an active chainsaw through my neck.

• Locked thread