Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

KiddieGrinder posted:

Yay for meaningless patronizing gestures of goodwill! I know my self-esteem and happiness would increase if I saw some maniac driving by smiling and waving at me. My crippling depression and self loathing would virtually vanish in an instant because some random jerk-off who doesn't know anything about me waved at me.

I wouldn't think he was insane, or being sarcastic and making fun of me, or just really weird, or even waving to someone else I didn't notice! Nope, not at all! Thanks driving-around-wavy-guy! :bravo:

Don't underrate random gestures of empathy and humanity. I'm not suicidal, but I do feel better when someone wishes a genuine good day and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
More reddit

quote:

I’ll get straight to the point.

Short version:

I’ve been “bought off” by my parents. They told me I am no longer welcome to live with them, and I guess in some sort of twisted way of not feeling bad about it, they are giving me $250,000 to not contact them ever again.

I don’t know anything about investments, and I’m unemployed (but actively looking for a job, I have an economics degree from a decent university) and I want to know how to best manage that money so I don’t lose it and I get some return on it for the future.

Long version:

Growing up I was always somewhat the “lost cause” since my brother was better than me at everything. It doesn’t mean I did bad, I was just a little above average while he was always the best at everything; academia, sports, social life, you name it. I don’t know why but my parents seemed to always be ashamed of me. I didn’t get into trouble, I was a quiet kid, I did what I had to do and I tried not to get in anyone’s way. The comparisons were always there though, I don’t even know why but that’s the way it is. I don’t understand why anyone would want to do that, I used to blame myself for it when I was younger but I know it’s not my fault now. Almost 3 years ago my brother was in an accident and after being in a coma for 27 days he passed away. Things didn’t get any better after this, and if anything, the comparisons only increased. I never wanted to cause any trouble but I just couldn’t take it anymore and eventually I couldn’t put up with the abuse any longer. I didn’t do anything radical, I just started talking back and standing up for myself. I had moved away for college and the problems eased up a bit while I was away, but I had to come back home to look for a job last year when I finished college because (ironically) I didn’t want to ask for any money. I’ve been looking for a job for months, without much luck. I’ve been to interviews, assessment centers and what not, but I haven’t managed to get a job yet. Last week my parents told me I have a month to move out and not contact them again.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
My parents hate me so much that they gave me a quarter of a million dollars to leave them.
Oh reddit what can I do?

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!

Lblitzer posted:

More reddit

Seems pretty reasonable on the parent's part, their son is a redditor after all.

How many people suggested he put that 250k in to bitcoins?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I'm above average at everything.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Best street pass ever. (self.3DS)
submitted 1 day ago by thenoan
After going to about 3 gamestops and 2 best buys I went to wal mart and found a red new 3ds. Didn't really want the red but the majoras mask 3ds is the great white buffalo now. Got it home transferred my games and played til I fell asleep.
Next day I'm off from work and take my lady friend and son around town. Haven't been pumped about my 3ds in awhile so I take mine and he takes his with him and she takes hers. They play Mario kart while I'm driving. We go to wal mart and the grocery store then to gamestop to get him a game. Not one street pass. Not one. By street pass I'm talking bout walking by someone that has a 3ds, not the ones you can pick up from the hot spots. I got people from Washington and other states but nothing from Texas. Head to best buy because I need to get a new hdmi cable because mine had started acting up the night before.
As soon as I get to best buy I have to go to the shitter. Let my boy walk with his mom. I get in there and sit down, I haven't played all day so I open up bravely default to fight a nemesis. The stall next makes a not normal bathroom sound, in fact it's a jingle. When the jingle happens I see the street pass run across my screen in bravely. Then simultaneously myself and the stranger in the stall next to me exclaim YES! Small laughter and very short conversation ensues from stall to stall, he finishes his business and leaves. I shortly follow suit.
Thank you kind stranger in the other stall at the legacy best buy in San Antonio
Tldr; went around town trying to get some street passes and nothing happens til I take a dump at best buy.

codespace
May 3, 2011

Non Serviam posted:

My parents hate me so much that they gave me a quarter of a million dollars to leave them.
Oh reddit what can I do?

Best part about him soliciting financial advice for his quarter million? He has an economics degree.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

codespace posted:

Best part about him soliciting financial advice for his quarter million? He has an economics degree.

Economics =/= finance, they're two related but completely different things. That's like saying "I don't get why this guy takes his car to the mechanic, he's an engineer."

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

FrozenVent posted:

Economics =/= finance, they're two related but completely different things. That's like saying "I don't get why this guy takes his car to the mechanic, he's an engineer."

While you are right, nothing excuses the fact that this "economics major" with "$250k" asked a community of 17-year neckbeard fedora pedophiles how he should invest money.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

quote:

This actually happened a week or so ago but I didn't get the idea to post on here until I relayed to a friend of mine. So here's my gently caress up.

I'm 19 years old, normal dude, think about sex about 10 times a day, and every guy that is or was a teenager knows that one of the biggest triumphs that we dream to one day pull off, is to you know, tame the rare and mysterious cougar.

So its just a normal night out with the lads, drinks were had, poo poo was spoken. We took turns shouting rounds and as it was my turn to step up, a woman comes out of know where and starts chatting to me. She was very good-looking, one of those type that you could tell was in her 40s but didn't look it (if that makes any sense). We started talking, she had ended up alone and then just decided to get a drink whilst she waited for her sisters. I spun my usual poo poo of being a professional athlete who was transferred to the city, with money to burn and huge house. The usual poo poo one talks to try and get laid and whilst I'm no ladies man by any means, I could tell from the get-go that she was dead keen. So anyway, we continued talking, and out of no where she asks if I am paying for taxi, or is she. I knew it was game-on. Suddenly I was 6 year-old me waking up on Christmas day to find not only had Santa bought me the PlayStation 1 I asked for, but he chucked in Crash Team Racing whilst he was at it. All my dreams had spiralled to this one point. I was going to sleep with a cougar.

So we get back to her hotel room and long-story short, dreams CAME true (lol). I ended up staying till early in the morning when I get a text from my mother saying to get home by lunch-time as the family is going to a BBQ. Standard from mum, I have obligations as part of the family show up to these events. So I get home and try get ready for this BBQ still hung over and tired from the previous nights exploits. We head out to the BBQ. Everyone's smiles and laughter, and who the gently caress do I spot saying hello to my mother.

You guessed it.

Turns out she's a friend of my mums who was visiting from out of town with her sisters. Now my mum is one of the mums who when she is with her friends telling stories about her sons, she does so in the most embarrassing way possible. So basically the next couple hours was her telling stories about 19 year-old son who isn't a millionaire, professional athlete that still lives at home.

TL;DR Went home with a cougar. Turned to be my mums good friend who I saw the next day at a family BBQ.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

So close to being believable if embellished when talking about the PUA before rocketing off into the STDH stratosphere

Some oval office posted:

She and I were out at lunch when she told me a story about her Saturday night.

She and some friends were out celebrating at a local bar. While she was at the bar getting a drink, some skeezy guy approached her and asked for her number. When she said no, he upped the pressure more and more, telling her she had nice tits, she was 'perfect blowjob height' and she looked like she 'had the tightest pussy short of a 12 year old.'

By this point, I was raging. I wanted to find this piece of poo poo and turn his entrails into extrails. But it was fine. She escaped with her drinks to a table with her friends, and as the night wore on, he kept approaching them and getting more and more threatening, like being turned down made him need to show off. He said they were nerds and losers, and none of them could do poo poo if he decided to rape her. He said he said 'I could just pick you up, carry you out that door, smash up your oval office (language, kid! You can't fuckin' swear like that!), and dump her somewhere, and you couldn't stop me.' My niece is 18, 5 foot nothing, and looks like a kid.

She said "Tell you what. You pick me up and take me out of here, and you can have me." He tried to grab her, and she wrecked him, totally and utterly. Made him hurt bad, and sent him on his way.

Incidentally, the reason for the lunch and the celebration? She'd just for another black belt rank in her martial art.

So proud of my little niece!

tl;dr: ninja niece gets threatened with rape, wrecks rear end in a top hat!

EmmyOk has a new favorite as of 20:28 on Feb 23, 2015

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

"This ancient, dusty condom is the last straw!"

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Das Boo posted:

"This ancient, dusty condom is the last straw!"

"I found under your nephew's bed! Don't try to explain, I've already hired a lawyer!"

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

I wonder what happens if one of these mythical cougars wants to go back to his giant house?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Kimmalah posted:

I wonder what happens if one of these mythical cougars wants to go back to his giant house?

Listen baby, the house is in the shop...

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Nth Doctor posted:

Listen baby, the house is in the shop...

Yeah, that's the ticket!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

EmmyOk posted:

So close to being believable if embellished when talking about the PUA before rocketing off into the STDH stratosphere

quote:

By this point, I was raging. I wanted to find this piece of poo poo and turn his entrails into extrails. But it was fine. She escaped with her drinks to a table with her friends, and as the night wore on, he kept approaching them

What? I don't even understand this.

"I was going to obliterate him I was so angry..... but it was okay. Then a bit later, it wasn't actually okay...." It just... doesn't even make sense.

quote:

She said "Tell you what. You pick me up and take me out of here, and you can have me." He tried to grab her, and she wrecked him, totally and utterly. Made him hurt bad, and sent him on his way.

:rolleyes:

quote:

Incidentally, the reason for the lunch and the celebration? She'd just for another black belt rank in her martial art.

:golfclap: And that karate instructor was Chuck Norris.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 22:19 on Feb 23, 2015

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Zaphod42 posted:

:golfclap: And that karate instructor was Chuck Norris.
I'm also fairly sure you go up grades of black belt as you advance in a martial art, not slowly accumulating additional ones like some kind of ninja katamari.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Splicer posted:

I'm also fairly sure you go up grades of black belt as you advance in a martial art, not slowly accumulating additional ones like some kind of ninja katamari.

Pictured: The niece

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

I'm not a lady, but I don't imagine the phrase "and he said I looked like my pussy would be the tightest pussy short of a 12 year olds" comes up when you're talking to your uncle even when describing a close call rape situation.

Unless of course the story is being made up in the uncles head who is a loving creepy, weirdo uncle.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

What? I don't even understand this.

"I was going to obliterate him I was so angry..... but it was okay. Then a bit later, it wasn't actually okay...." It just... doesn't even make sense.

I think they're just saying the guy was pissing them off while they were at the bar getting drinks, then they got away from him by going to their table and later he came to the table which pissed them off again. I'm not sure what's hard to understand about it?

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

"I was going to obliterate him I was so angry..... but it was okay. Then a bit later, it wasn't actually okay...." It just... doesn't even make sense

Kimmalah posted:

I think they're just saying the guy was pissing them off while they were at the bar getting drinks, then they got away from him by going to their table and later he came to the table which pissed them off again. I'm not sure what's hard to understand about it?

The first person perspective narrator in this story is being told the story. She wasn't at the bar. She's mad for her friend and wants to obliterate the dude. But the friend told her she got away from the dude, so her anger waned to a simmer.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Wizard of Smart posted:

The first person perspective narrator in this story is being told the story. She wasn't at the bar. She's mad for her friend and wants to obliterate the dude. But the friend told her she got away from the dude, so her anger waned to a simmer.

I'm still not sure what's unclear about it though, whatever perspective it's from they thought the situation was resolved, calmed down and then creepy dude came back.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Kimmalah posted:

I'm still not sure what's unclear about it though, whatever perspective it's from they thought the situation was resolved, calmed down and then creepy dude came back.

Yeah our narrator calmed down when she heard the friend got away from dude.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
But seriously, she DID look like she had a pussy tighter than a 12 year old's. Anyone got an aspirin?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I like how she didn't commit to a martial art, but it certainly was one of them!

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I don't understand why they wouldn't just tell the bartender or something? The guy would definitely get kicked out or something if he's talking about raping her.

And then she's just getting grabbed by this guy, and then she's pulling off some martial arts tossing the guy around... in the middle of the bar... and no one is saying something. No bartenders or bouncers trying to break it up, no one has a problem with the kumite going on in the middle of the bar. Her friends are just sitting there, totally not yelling and making a scene at all like people do.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

This is the very top thing on reddit's front page right now. Title: I saw my hero this weekend.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Having watched Gordon Ramsey's shows, I can believe that there are people who work in kitchens that do these sort of things but we're talking like 1 in a million here.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Judge Tesla posted:

Having watched Gordon Ramsey's shows, I can believe that there are people who work in kitchens that do these sort of things but we're talking like 1 in a million here.

When customers do that to Ramsey in his tv shows, he doesn't drop what he's doing to leave the kitchen for 5-10 minutes to eat their meal, he just tells them to gently caress off and/or calls security. I'm sure there are chefs that try and imitate his over-the-top angriness, but they aren't world-class chefs and would get fired pretty much anywhere for doing anything besides apologizing and remaking the food. But really the most STDH part of it is, what were the customer and his wife doing the whole time this was happening? Standing there silently literally shaking with their jaws on the floor? I can only assume they turned red and fled the restaurant immediately after the "chef" finished executing his sick burn on the guy.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Murphy Brownback posted:

When customers do that to Ramsey in his tv shows, he doesn't drop what he's doing to leave the kitchen for 5-10 minutes to eat their meal, he just tells them to gently caress off and/or calls security. I'm sure there are chefs that try and imitate his over-the-top angriness, but they aren't world-class chefs and would get fired pretty much anywhere for doing anything besides apologizing and remaking the food. But really the most STDH part of it is, what were the customer and his wife doing the whole time this was happening? Standing there silently literally shaking with their jaws on the floor? I can only assume they turned red and fled the restaurant immediately after the "chef" finished executing his sick burn on the guy.

The alternative is the chef wolfing the food down in disgusting speed, getting flecks of it over everything in the process, all over his face, leaving a huge food smear on the wife's face when he kisses her.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
I think Judge Tesla was probably referring to more the chefs in Kitchen Nightmares rather than Ramsey himself.

Though that comparison puts a hilarious spin on the story because that implies that the food actually was really terrible.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

dijon du jour posted:

I think Judge Tesla was probably referring to more the chefs in Kitchen Nightmares rather than Ramsey himself.

Though that comparison puts a hilarious spin on the story because that implies that the food actually was really terrible.

Yeah I didn't mean Ramsay himself but some of the chefs themselves from Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares and the like, a lot of the things they've done would be in this thread for sure.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Couldn't you press charges for sexual harassment in that situation?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Haha finally had my first STDH storytelling happen in real life.

So the guy is telling a story about driving a vehicle when another one pulls around him and speeds away. Cop from the other direction pulls over the non-speeding guy thinking it was him. The first thing he apparently does is check to make sure the front bumper is the one he identified earlier when he passed them. This guy claims his car was similar to the speeding one because "it had lights on the inside of the grill". "So many cars nowadays have them!" I don't know if I've ever seen a car that had lights inside of the actual grill, usually a radiator goes there.

He then proceeds to drop the bomb when he goes into the courtroom to fight the ticket. This is what he said:

"...then the judge let's me have my turn to plead my case. So I ask the cop, "Sir, what was the first thing you did when you pulled me over?" "Uhh, I don't know", "What you did was you checked the front of my grill before you said a word to me about why you pulled me over." "Oh yeah, I wanted to ensure I was pulling over the correct guy." So immediately I comeback saying, "Sir, you had doubt so I should not be accused of this and this should be thrown out." The cop just looked at me blankly and some young guys in the back started cheering and getting loud, the judge threatened to have them kicked out."

lol

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:
So cops shoudnt check if they pull over the correct guy. Cops arent allowed to have doubt.

Its one of the worst stdh i have read. The sick burn at te end is the worst.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

Lblitzer posted:

"...then the judge let's me have my turn to plead my case. So I ask the cop, "Sir, what was the first thing you did when you pulled me over?" "Uhh, I don't know", "What you did was you checked the front of my grill before you said a word to me about why you pulled me over." "Oh yeah, I wanted to ensure I was pulling over the correct guy." So immediately I comeback saying, "Sir, you had doubt so I should not be accused of this and this should be thrown out." The cop just looked at me blankly and some young guys in the back started cheering and getting loud, the judge threatened to have them kicked out."

lol

Haha, I think he's "proving" that he's not guilty because of reasonable doubt. That only applies in states where traffic courts are still criminal courts, but even if it does apply, "beyond a reasonable doubt" is different than "beyond any doubt." Making sure you pulled over the right car when there are two cars in the vicinity is a pretty reasonable doubt.

I actually 100% believe that some guy went to traffic court and did this, believing it was his big takedown of the cop, but I notice that the story doesn't end with "and then the judge threw out the case and told me I should go to law school, because this was a totally new and foolproof argument."

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I guess I don't really know about the law or unreasonable doubt or anything but he said it in such a :smug: way that I tried really hard not to roll my eyes. He said too that he just got the fine cut in half so it basically wasn't worth it to him to even fight it.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Lblitzer posted:

He said too that he just got the fine cut in half so it basically wasn't worth it to him to even fight it.

Wait, what? Going to court over the traffic ticket is literally the definition of fighting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

ibntumart posted:

Wait, what? Going to court over the traffic ticket is literally the definition of fighting it.

"I went and fought it but the results did not meet my expectations so it wasn't worth the effort."

• Locked thread