Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerVerrater
Feb 19, 2013
WHATEVER HAPPENED ON DISCORD, I WAS NOT INVOLVED
How on earth do you decide what to try and teach your pup to react to, After sucessfully teaching my pup 'Bro fist' and 'Attack' I kind of hit a roadblock in trying to decide what to teach him next.

Also the stubborn little beast really hates being out in the rain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

I just copy a life less so that one day I may become the new a life less, tbh

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

DerVerrater posted:

How on earth do you decide what to try and teach your pup to react to, After sucessfully teaching my pup 'Bro fist' and 'Attack' I kind of hit a roadblock in trying to decide what to teach him next.

Normally you want your goal to be for your puppy not to react to anything. Check out the dog training megathread for some basics on how to keep him chill in the face of worrying distractions. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3364451

As far as what to teach your pup next, I like to watch videos and see what other people are teaching, and build on that. General puppy tricks are things like sit/stand/down stays, spin, paws, nose touches, back up, etc.

Or [shameless promotion time] you can try teaching him some of these tricks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qftdlZngzgo

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Fraction posted:

I just copy a life less so that one day I may become the new a life less, tbh

Now I'm embarrassed

and worried

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

a life less posted:

Now I'm embarrassed

and worried

You should be

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
What's the PI consensus about giving dogs coconut oil with their food to help improve coat?

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

lazerwolf posted:

What's the PI consensus about giving dogs coconut oil with their food to help improve coat?

I hear good things but haven't tried it myself.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've been giving my Lab a small spoonfull of coconut oil every day with her kibble. Her coat is nice and shiny and the upset stomach she had went away.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

just be careful you don't give too much, too much oil and fatty things also help your dog to poo poo everywhere for a while afterwards.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

m.hache posted:

I've been giving my Lab a small spoonfull of coconut oil every day with her kibble. Her coat is nice and shiny and the upset stomach she had went away.

Wheats posted:

just be careful you don't give too much, too much oil and fatty things also help your dog to poo poo everywhere for a while afterwards.

This is what I'm worried about. Advice I read online (I know) said a teaspoon with each meal. We still feed our pups 3 meals a day and I am a bit concerned that 3 tsp of oil is a bit much.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

lazerwolf posted:

This is what I'm worried about. Advice I read online (I know) said a teaspoon with each meal. We still feed our pups 3 meals a day and I am a bit concerned that 3 tsp of oil is a bit much.

Try it for just one meal (Like I do).

It's not like a little fat is going to cause their insides to explode immediately. Small amounts and see if their stool consistency changes. If it's liquid then stop/give them less.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

exactly that. start out with a small amount, and there's no need to feed it with every single meal. see how they do, then adjust the amount up or down as needed.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
The dosage I usually see recommended is 1 teaspoon per 10lbs or 1 tablespoon per 30 lbs. Start at a lower dose to make sure they don't poo poo all over your house and work your way up and you should be alright. I give my dogs a couple tablespoons in the morning with breakfast and I'm really pleased with the way their coats look and feel. The improvement has been especially noticeable with Heidi:

Here's what Heidi's coat looked like when we found her:

After a month of raw food and supplementing with fish and coconut oil:

Her coat still isn't great but it's much, much better.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I live in northern Mississippi with 1 kid and 1 cat. I'd like to spend most of my time with the dog on the couch, and some of the time in the neighborhood on walks and maybe a dog park. I don't mind some noise and my floors are pretty tidy, but not super tidy.

Some dogs I'm thinking about:

Standard Poodle

Greyhound

A dumb, 40lb yeller dog like a ridgeback, black and tan, or some other coonhound.

Golden Retriever? I don't know.

AKC.com recommended: Douge de Bordeaux, Chinese Crested, Komondor, and a Lowland Sheepdog lol what the gently caress where are these dogs even from?

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I live in northern Mississippi with 1 kid and 1 cat. I'd like to spend most of my time with the dog on the couch, and some of the time in the neighborhood on walks and maybe a dog park. I don't mind some noise and my floors are pretty tidy, but not super tidy.

Some dogs I'm thinking about :

Standard Poodle

Greyhound

A dumb, 40lb yeller dog like a ridgeback, black and tan, or some other coonhound.

Golden Retriever? I don't know.

AKC.com recommended: Douge de Bordeaux, Chinese Crested, Komondor, and a Lowland Sheepdog lol what the gently caress where are these dogs even from?

TBH what I'd recommend is find a rescue that fosters dogs and makes an effort to understand the dogs' personalities, then tell that rescue exactly what kind of traits you're looking for (appearance being the very last on the list, exercise and grooming level being first). With a little bit of luck, you'll find exactly the right sort of dog that will fit your family's needs. Whatever you do, don't get a Dogue de Bordeaux (a giant breed mastiff), Konondor (an aloof livestock guardian breed), a Ridgeback (oh god please do not get a Ridgeback), or any kind of Sheepdog at all (either an intense herder or a guardian breed). Meanwhile, read up on training methods and food, and keep your fingers crossed that Your Perfect Dog will be out there. (It will, don't worry.)

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

ButWhatIf posted:

TBH what I'd recommend is find a rescue that fosters dogs and makes an effort to understand the dogs' personalities, then tell that rescue exactly what kind of traits you're looking for (appearance being the very last on the list, exercise and grooming level being first). With a little bit of luck, you'll find exactly the right sort of dog that will fit your family's needs. Whatever you do, don't get a Dogue de Bordeaux (a giant breed mastiff), Konondor (an aloof livestock guardian breed), a Ridgeback (oh god please do not get a Ridgeback), or any kind of Sheepdog at all (either an intense herder or a guardian breed). Meanwhile, read up on training methods and food, and keep your fingers crossed that Your Perfect Dog will be out there. (It will, don't worry.)

I can't emphasize enough that in Northern Miss. there are next to no amenities like breed specific rescues. I wouldn't know where to look for a pet related place other than the shelter and PetSmart.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I can't emphasize enough that in Northern Miss. there are next to no amenities like breed specific rescues. I wouldn't know where to look for a pet related place other than the shelter and PetSmart.

Can you tell us what general area you live in? Maybe someone can help you locate rescues with that info. Petfinder.com is a great starting place.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
I found two in Oxford: Teacher's Pet and K9 Stray Rescue League. Those might be a good place to start.

EDIT: if you are nearer to Columbus, there is Canine Castle and Canine Companions.

Don't be afraid to drive more than an hour to get to the Right Dog For You. I know people who have driven 6+ hours to pick up their dogs, and no regrets.

ButWhatIf fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 23, 2015

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

ButWhatIf posted:

I found two in Oxford: Teacher's Pet and K9 Stray Rescue League. Those might be a good place to start.

EDIT: if you are nearer to Columbus, there is Canine Castle and Canine Companions.

Don't be afraid to drive more than an hour to get to the Right Dog For You. I know people who have driven 6+ hours to pick up their dogs, and no regrets.

I live exactly in Columbus. What Canine Castle are you talking about exactly? The GOOGLE pulls up a boarding house in North Carolina. And Canine Companions is for service dogs.

My parents went as far as having their cocker flown in. On a chartered jet. And the dog is a loving shithead.

So I don't want:

Herding dogs. They like to nip because hey you guys are leaving the pen/heard/fold and I'm not supposed to let that happen
Livestock dogs. Similar to herding dogs, but probably serious resource guarders
* terriers. Energy to the MAXXX.
* puppy. Dingbats.

Oh I sent you a PM did you get it.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 23, 2015

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

You don't want pretty much any breed under the age of 4-5. Herders, LGDs, primitives, terriers... Hell even young labs are a handful.

Adopt a nice middle aged labrador or lazy spaniel or cat tested greyhound, who is content to snooze around your house for 99% of the time. If you don't mind little dogs, a toy breed would probably do pretty well for you once out of adolescence. Make sure any dog you get is cat tested and child tested, preferably from a rescue that has dogs in foster environments to check how they react to X situation under normal living conditions.

There is nothing shameful with having a dog shaped throw rug if that is the sort of thing that suits your lifestyle.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I live exactly in Columbus. What Canine Castle are you talking about exactly? The GOOGLE pulls up a boarding house in North Carolina. And Canine Companions is for service dogs.

My parents went as far as having their cocker flown in. On a chartered jet. And the dog is a loving shithead.

So I don't want:

Herding dogs. They like to nip because hey you guys are leaving the pen/heard/fold and I'm not supposed to let that happen
Livestock dogs. Similar to herding dogs, but probably serious resource guarders
* terriers. Energy to the MAXXX.
* puppy. Dingbats.

Oh I sent you a PM did you get it.

Yuss, I did! Lemme send you the links I found, hang on.

And you'll definitely want a dog older than 2. At 2 is around when (depending on breed) a dog has a fully-developed impulse control center in their brain. It may not be very well exercised, that portion of the brain, but it's there, like in a 24-25 year old human.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

ButWhatIf posted:

Yuss, I did! Lemme send you the links I found, hang on.

And you'll definitely want a dog older than 2. At 2 is around when (depending on breed) a dog has a fully-developed impulse control center in their brain. It may not be very well exercised, that portion of the brain, but it's there, like in a 24-25 year old human.

The links you sent seem to take me to email forms, and not actual websites to look at dogs.

I went on petfinder.com and saw this guy: https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/31124765/

He's a labrador retriever/shar pei mix. Looks like a chill bonehead, but I know nothing about shar peis and not much about labs other than they're the most popular breed in America! USA USA USA!

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Shar pei are typically not easy dogs to handle. Unfortunately reading between the lines is a skill you gotta develop when looking at rescue dogs because most have code words they use to downplay behavior problems. "He has a strong head and intimidates strangers coming to his back yard" is a red flag imo. I dunno how far from west point you are but it looks like their shelters have a fuckton of lab mutts: http://awos.petfinder.com/shelters/MS134.html

E: Missisppi Lab Rescue: http://lab.rescueme.org/Mississippi
Lab Rescue of the South:
http://labradorfriends.com/

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 23, 2015

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

lazerwolf posted:

I've been giving mine fish oil for about a week per the vet's recommendation to help with their dry winter skin, I'll report back in a few more weeks I think. I've heard good things about coconut oil too but I haven't tried it.

So far no poopsplosions and I have noticed a slight increase in fluffiness and foot pad softness. I'm also experimenting with a "no shed" supplement I found while looking for fish oil, but so far I think it has accomplished jack poo poo.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

We're giving Hana fish oil with every meal (2x daily) and it does wonders for her coat.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Something like this would be ideal. Maybe 25 to 30 pounds lighter. He looks like yellow_mutt.BMP if there ever was one.

And this guy looks chill, but kind of smug

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 24, 2015

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

oh hey, I'm the resident shar pei idiot. while shar pei mixes are sometimes less intense than purebred shar pei, they can also be more difficult because they don't have the painful joints and skin problems holding back the purebred ones from being super active. I would personally be concerned about the same thing Triangulum pointed out- some degree of aggression towards people is normal and desirable in the breed, because they were originally meant in part for guarding.

the dog you just linked might be worth asking about, he's a young lab so he may be more energetic than your ideal, but it might be worth a visit as long as you guys can trust yourselves to walk away if he's not the right fit.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Make sure you're learning things like personality and weighing that far far above appearance. It's very easy to fall in love with a photo and realize later you've made a poor choice.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
What's probably going to happen is this: wife gets her car fixed up and makes the expedition to her moms house in Idaho. That's where our lab/terrier or schnauzer mix went in 2010 when we had to move to Germany. She's probably 8 years old now and totally forgotten us.

Do dogs remember that far back? I'd bet money they don't.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Adopt the lab and divorce your wife

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

What's probably going to happen is this: wife gets her car fixed up and makes the expedition to her moms house in Idaho. That's where our lab/terrier or schnauzer mix went in 2010 when we had to move to Germany. She's probably 8 years old now and totally forgotten us.

Do dogs remember that far back? I'd bet money they don't.

Pfff problem solved go get ur dang dog

Some dogs remember and some dont (or at least act like they dont)

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I dunno, I'd be a little pissed if I took in a dog and raised it for five years only for its original owners to reappear and be like "ok I want it back now!"

My only response to Pistol's original owners making noises about wanting him back is :lol:

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I dunno, I'd be a little pissed if I took in a dog and raised it for five years only for its original owners to reappear and be like "ok I want it back now!"

My only response to Pistol's original owners making noises about wanting him back is :lol:

Pistol is more giraffe than dog at this point, anyway.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

No,must mom wants us to come get her. It's so lovely. When we left for Germany I gave her the dog. As soon as we came back it was all hey when are you gonna pick this dog up.

gently caress.

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

No,must mom wants us to come get her. It's so lovely. When we left for Germany I gave her the dog. As soon as we came back it was all hey when are you gonna pick this dog up.

gently caress.

GO GEDDIT

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Well then go get your dog

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
Do u know what I would give to be able to get Dogs I No Longer Have back

Go get ur dog ya dingus!!

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
It's not that easy to get that much time off work for me :( And the money needed to make a trip from MS to ID... ugh.

Maybe I'll give my wife my nice newer car and drive her barely safe shitbox to and from work, give her the credit card etc... I can make it work I reckon.

I've just made a Command Decision. Sending the wife this week to Idaho with my car to get our dog. Our dog is about 10 years old, which is p much end of life for most. I hope she has more than 2 years left on her.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 24, 2015

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Can they meet you halfway, or are they too old to make the drive? It's still a long drive but not as long as going the whole way there and back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Can Danes be big doofy couch potatoes?