Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Just use pay to win for the suicide king challenge it's really easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

BJPaskoff posted:

Every single time I've gotten scythe tears in the past, oh... hundred hours of play or so, I get shielded tears right after. I wish they'd put an outline around the scythes instead of turning them into normal tears.

Lost contact are one of the items I never pick up, along with guillotine, cursed eye, my reflection, antigravity, bob's brain (sometimes it is good, but if I am already powerful then it's just a liability), bucket of lard (being slow sucks), libra, dr fetus (most of the time), experimental treatment, soy milk, and tiny planet (usually).

Dr. Fetus is really fun when you have the remote detonation item or ipecac, I don't like it otherwise.

Pivotal Lever fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 23, 2015

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I just accidentally picked up the Cursed Eye, two rooms before fighting ???

That was... fraught.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
No matter how many runs I ruin with them, I keep picking up most of those items, because they're fun.

(I can never remember which Zodiac symbol is Libra, though, so I nearly always pick that up to my disadvantage.)

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Rollersnake posted:

No matter how many runs I ruin with them, I keep picking up most of those items, because they're fun.

(I can never remember which Zodiac symbol is Libra, though, so I nearly always pick that up to my disadvantage.)

The only reason I recognize them on sight is because of Homestuck. Not sure how to feel about that.

Speaking of Homestuck, this mod gives the Zodiac symbols unique colors, so they're a bit easier to differentiate.

The two m-shaped ones are what made me install it. gently caress the lazy Babylonian hack who designed them.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 23, 2015

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

just associate scorpio as being the one with the pointy tail like an actual scorpion

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

just associate scorpio as being the one with the pointy tail like an actual scorpion

Nope, it's the blue one!

I love that mod. Doesn't even disable achievements.

Thanks for the tip, though. I'll keep that in mind for the future.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
CD23 PSXA. Quite powerful as Isaac, but notable because of the THREE Forget Me Now dice rooms (including two in succession for the same floor) as well as an actual Forget Me Now in the Chest.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Pivotal Lever posted:

Lost contact are one of the items I never pick up, along with guillotine, cursed eye, my reflection, antigravity, bob's brain (sometimes it is good, but if I am already powerful then it's just a liability), bucket of lard (being slow sucks), libra, dr fetus (most of the time), experimental treatment, soy milk, and tiny planet (usually).

Dr. Fetus is really fun when you have the remote detonation item or ipecac, I don't like it otherwise.

Lost Contact made one of my Lost runs possible. I usually take it unless I have very slow tears.

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

omeg posted:

Lost Contact made one of my Lost runs possible. I usually take it unless I have very slow tears.

I could see it being good on Lost runs, but I'd rather keep my DPS up and eat a hit or two (or three, I am bad).

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

ThaumPenguin posted:

Nope, it's the blue one!

I love that mod. Doesn't even disable achievements.

Thanks for the tip, though. I'll keep that in mind for the future.

Speaking of, are there any other recommended/good mods out there that don't disable achievements?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

flatluigi posted:

Speaking of, are there any other recommended/good mods out there that don't disable achievements?

Mods don't disable achievements anymore. No idea if that was intended or if they broke something, but go ahead and use them.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Isn't it that graphics mods don't but gameplay-effecting mods do?

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

You'd think they would, otherwise somebody could come up with a mod that gives The Lost a health meter.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'll take a mod that takes the items The Lost can't use out of his item pool. If that exists, it'll be the first one I try, and the only way I will try to get The Lost cleared.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

flatluigi posted:

Isn't it that graphics mods don't but gameplay-effecting mods do?

Gameplay mods used to block achievements, but the most recent patches took that out.

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

Conquest spawns way too much, that was the 5th or 6th time I've had a stage 3 bandage girl only to get hosed by Conquest. I guess it's time to cheese the poo poo out of it with wafer/sharp plug, something I've tried to avoid. I hope the DLC doesn't have stupid achievements that need to be cheesed to get...

At least I finally picked up A Dollar during that run.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Pivotal Lever posted:

I'm torn every time I see a Technology item. I love the idea of them but they are so woefully underpowered they are usually a death sentence unless you get triple or quad shot as well. Was Tech really bad in the original as well? I seem to remember it being better, but could well be wrong.
Dr Fetus is the same. I should enjoy it, but the damage starting out is terrible. Two shots to kill a spider or something? Urgh.

Been enjoying some Eve runs lately. I mean, I had to reset a few that had truly poor starting gear but others have been a lot of fun. D20 starts are amusing just to try and maximise the number of drops in one room. I got the item that makes rocks give coins when exploded and just went nuts.

D4/D100 runs are tricky, in that you just want to roll it again and hope to get a slightly better build, and then end up with a lovely Tech laser or just one of those swinging mace-like weapons, Still, makes you try different play styles.

Another run, though, started me with a slow as hell egg-shaped Ludovido tear that had 2 smaller ones on either side. Most monsters easily outran it so I was boned.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Tech 1 seems bad because of its terrible hitbox. Tech 2 is just bad with its huge damage down. Tech 0.5 is the only good one I feel.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
If you guys can't survive a run with tech have you considered that you might be bad at the game?

Tech 1 and 2 are only Bad when you have an exceptionally low tear rate. (And until you get at least one damage up for tech 2)

The hitbox on Tech 1 is a bit wonky, but only for wall spiders, and it's easy to adjust to.

Tech 2 is pretty much always a net power gain with a "normal" build (low numbers or super late game god combos lose damage)

Tech .5 is just some extra damage.

The techs lose out a little because there are more ways to gain piercing in Rebirth than there were in classic.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Gibbo posted:

If you guys can't survive a run with tech have you considered that you might be bad at the game?

Personally the thought never occurred to me. I don't like tech because it doesn't play well with a lot of otherwise fun tear effects, guppy and spoon bender being notable exceptions.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Prop Wash posted:

Personally the thought never occurred to me. I don't like tech because it doesn't play well with a lot of otherwise fun tear effects, guppy and spoon bender being notable exceptions.

Well that's fine and a choice to be made. Outright saying "Tech 1 is bad because hitbox and tech2 is bad because damage down" despite the math meaning it's a net damage up, leads me to believe some people need to stop playing on normal and put in more hours.

Duckforce Alpha
May 23, 2006
D:
Anyone have a seed or some advice for unlocking Mom's Contacts? It's the last item/secret I need before Real Platinum God (PS4) and I've been trying all drat day.

I've got mom's eye in basement I treasure room and mom's heels from the first boss and nothing shows up. I've tried other combinations to no avail. I've even had mom's eye and purchased mom's pills, still nothing.

It's the last thing I need and I'm very eager to finish it up.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Duckforce Alpha posted:

Anyone have a seed or some advice for unlocking Mom's Contacts? It's the last item/secret I need before Real Platinum God (PS4) and I've been trying all drat day.

I've got mom's eye in basement I treasure room and mom's heels from the first boss and nothing shows up. I've tried other combinations to no avail. I've even had mom's eye and purchased mom's pills, still nothing.

Use Isaac with the d6 and reroll anything that isn't a Mom item? There are enough mom items that it's just bad luck / your seed draws stopping you.

Also try to grab the knife from a devil deal.

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 24, 2015

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Duckforce Alpha posted:

Go for the infinite reroll setup and farm the Chest if you don't get it beforehand.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Gibbo posted:

Well that's fine and a choice to be made. Outright saying "Tech 1 is bad because hitbox and tech2 is bad because damage down" despite the math meaning it's a net damage up, leads me to believe some people need to stop playing on normal and put in more hours.

I've got my RPG legitimately so no need to be condescending. If you have any sources for your "math meaning it's a net damage up" statement I'll gladly see them. As far as I know Tech 1 fires at your normal tear rate and doesn't improve damage, so its only positive is piercing/range. I don't know how to calculate Tech 2's DPS but it just wasn't impressive unless I already had good killing power.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

omeg posted:

I've got my RPG legitimately so no need to be condescending. If you have any sources for your "math meaning it's a net damage up" statement I'll gladly see them. As far as I know Tech 1 fires at your normal tear rate and doesn't improve damage, so its only positive is piercing/range. I don't know how to calculate Tech 2's DPS but it just wasn't impressive unless I already had good killing power.

Tech 2 is a 30% damage decrease, but you now fire from a second source.

Say you had 10 damage, your tears now do 7 and the beam from tech 2 does 7. 14>10.

Considering most characters start with 3.5 damage.:

3.5*.7 =2.45. that's 2.45 for the tear and 2.45 for the beam. Still technically more, but the low fire rate at the beginning of the game makes it seem exceptionally lovely. I'm also not exactly sure how the beam distributes its damage, as I think quickly moving the beam over an enemy doesn't do a full tick worth of damage.

Having 2.5 damage instead of 3.5 damage will lead to early enemies taking 1-2 more tears than normal to kill.

Later on, this becomes less of an issue.

Edit: Apparently it's a 35% damage decrease, not fixing the numbers. Still a net gain. http://bindingofisaacrebirth.gamepedia.com/Technology_2

Tech 2 also doesn't override Polyphemus/Mom's Knife. It does combo poorly with Brim, and I don't know what it does with Epic Fetus.

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Feb 24, 2015

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

Gibbo posted:

Tech 2 is a 30% damage decrease, but you now fire from a second source.

Say you had 10 damage, your tears now do 7 and the beam from tech 2 does 7. 14>10.

Considering most characters start with 3.5 damage.:

3.5*.7 =2.45. that's 2.45 for the tear and 2.45 for the beam. Still technically more, but the low fire rate at the beginning of the game makes it seem exceptionally lovely. I'm also not exactly sure how the beam distributes its damage, as I think quickly moving the beam over an enemy doesn't do a full tick worth of damage.

Having 2.5 damage instead of 3.5 damage will lead to early enemies taking 1-2 more tears than normal to kill.

Later on, this becomes less of an issue.

Edit: Apparently it's a 35% damage decrease, not fixing the numbers. Still a net gain. http://bindingofisaacrebirth.gamepedia.com/Technology_2

Tech 2 also doesn't override Polyphemus/Mom's Knife. It does combo poorly with Brim, and I don't know what it does with Epic Fetus.

Unless I missed it, you didnt factor in that Tech 2 replaces half your tears with the laser. The damage is straight up worse.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Xenogenesis posted:

Unless I missed it, you didnt factor in that Tech 2 replaces half your tears with the laser. The damage is straight up worse.

I consider the fact that your fire rate on the tear is down balanced by the continuous fire of the laser.

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

Gibbo posted:

I consider the fact that your fire rate on the tear is down balanced by the continuous fire of the laser.

The laser damages each enemy hit once per shot. It isn't continuous, Brimstone-like damage.

e: i guess I'm wrong? I'll have to test later

Xenogenesis fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 24, 2015

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Xenogenesis posted:

The laser damages each enemy hit once per shot.

For Tech 1 yes. Not tech 2, which is constant. The Tic rate on that beam is determined by tear rate, and it hits more often than when your tear eye fires.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
The problem with the techs is that their hitboxes are all sorts of hosed up. If you back up against a rock your laser will be blocked by the rock behind you, and it's nearly impossible to hit the wall spiders easily. Also the beam doesn't get wider with more damage like in flash Isaac, which is lame.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

TheModernAmerican posted:

Also the beam doesn't get wider with more damage like in flash Isaac, which is lame.

This is the actual reason I don't pick it up, totally out of protest.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Xenogenesis posted:

How does it compare if you're playing as Cain, since it replaces tears completely?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Codiekitty posted:

This page says Dark Boy is actually for beating the Depths/Necropolis without taking damage. Dead Boy is the one for Chest/Dark Room. Is that what you meant, or do you already have Dead Boy?

I meant Dead Boy.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Did curse of the maze always moved rooms around as well as teleporting you to a random room or it just the recent patch that added this? I had a Cain run today where a blood bank room moved to another location in the same map, and it completely screwed my orientation (for a few seconds anyway). I think it happened in another floor as well, but I can't remember what room shifted.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

I don't really like Antigravity with Brimstone but this is beautiful.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I'd like to have a run with Tech 1, Tech 2, and Tech .5 all at once

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
has the altf4 abuse existed in all patches or is that a recent thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

"That feel when" you successfully complete a Lost run, unlocking an item, and flip back to the character screen and realize you had accidentally selected Normal.