Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

In the manga, or is it anime filler like Kid Buu being the strongest?

The new techniques thing is news to me, my memories of the android saga are spotty so I don't remember them doing anything like that.

Android 18 uses one of Krillin's techniques is the only thing I remember and my memory on what is filler and what is not is nonexistent so I can't tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Just how Android-ized were Lapis and Lazuli to turn them into 17 and 18? Like, did they get a wolverine-treatment to give them metal bones and that's it? Or are they more machine than human? Obviously 18 still had a good bit of organic systems left...which raises it's own set of questions.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

17 has a wife and kid too according to a Q+A thing in a volume, so their reproductive systems are real, and their brains are too probably.

Dr. Gero was a weird guy. A very, very creepy glad he was killed guy.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Prison Warden posted:

Womeninshounen.txt

Man I loved that final filler arc in Dragon Ball that was basically just Goku and Chi Chi's honeymoon adventures and I was pretty disappointing going into DBZ to find her character's just angry mom and now and she and Goku don't do anything together anymore.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

a cartoon duck posted:

Man I loved that final filler arc in Dragon Ball that was basically just Goku and Chi Chi's honeymoon adventures and I was pretty disappointing going into DBZ to find her character's just angry mom and now and she and Goku don't do anything together anymore.

Well that's what happens when Toriyama is only drawing a character to force himself to draw her. I mean in the manga Chi Chi only appeared twice before Z, Once as a child in the very beginning, and in the 23rd Budokai Tenkaichi.

Caros
May 14, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

In the manga, or is it anime filler like Kid Buu being the strongest?

The new techniques thing is news to me, my memories of the android saga are spotty so I don't remember them doing anything like that.

Kid Buu is substantially weaker than super Buu had been after he'd absorbed various people. The difference with Kid Buu is that he was ruthless as all hell and still strong enough to beat down any of the people who were left to fight with him.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Caros posted:

Kid Buu is substantially weaker than super Buu had been after he'd absorbed various people. The difference with Kid Buu is that he was ruthless as all hell and still strong enough to beat down any of the people who were left to fight with him.

Ruthless isn't the best word for it. Kid Buu was utterly without mind and fought solely on instinct and desire. Vegeta couldn't convince Buu to not destroy Earth and fight him instead because Kid Buu didn't have the previous Buu's desires to fight a strong opponent, just do whatever it's instincts said.

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

jivjov posted:

Just how Android-ized were Lapis and Lazuli to turn them into 17 and 18? Like, did they get a wolverine-treatment to give them metal bones and that's it? Or are they more machine than human? Obviously 18 still had a good bit of organic systems left...which raises it's own set of questions.

The only mechanical parts in them are the emergency shut-down switch and the self-destruct device, the rest of their enhancements are organic. Bulma talks about when she's looking over 17's blueprints and it's expanded on in the guidebooks.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Onmi posted:

Well that's what happens when Toriyama is only drawing a character to force himself to draw her. I mean in the manga Chi Chi only appeared twice before Z, Once as a child in the very beginning, and in the 23rd Budokai Tenkaichi.

The fact that Goku is trapped in a loveless marriage is kind of depressing when you think about it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xibanya posted:

The fact that Goku is trapped in a loveless marriage is kind of depressing when you think about it.

Goku's life in general is honestly pretty depressing. It says something when Vegeta has a more stable happy life than he does.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Xibanya posted:

Goku does seem to like Chi Chi, although we don't ever really get them to interact that much.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

CharlestheHammer posted:

Goku does seem to like Chi Chi, although we don't ever really get them to interact that much.

Goku would like anyone who makes him food for free.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Goku is kind of a prick to everyone who doesn't fight with him, really. He's an rear end in a top hat to Gohan quite often, he's pretty short with Goten. It's partly tough love, but he seems to do it inappropriately a lot of the time too. He seems to like Bulma way more than his wife. Then again, who doesn't like Bulma a lot more than Chi Chi?

I do kind of find it funny how he never went to King Kai or something to tell everyone that Majin Buu didn't murder Gohan so they don't have to worry about that and decided to just nap under a tree for the best part of a day.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
a) I like that Goku is wearing those Capsule Corp boots
b) No Trunks or Goten? Did Toriyama forget they existed too?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Aurain posted:

Goku is kind of a prick to everyone who doesn't fight with him, really. He's an rear end in a top hat to Gohan quite often, he's pretty short with Goten. It's partly tough love, but he seems to do it inappropriately a lot of the time too. He seems to like Bulma way more than his wife. Then again, who doesn't like Bulma a lot more than Chi Chi?

I do kind of find it funny how he never went to King Kai or something to tell everyone that Majin Buu didn't murder Gohan so they don't have to worry about that and decided to just nap under a tree for the best part of a day.

I don't know how you get that, he barely interacts with Bulma either. I think he interacts with Chi Chi more than her.

In fact, if you aren't fighting with him, he barely acknowledges your existence.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
I don't think the marriage is loveless its just that we don't see any of it due to this being a fighting manga not a slice-of-life romance.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Chi-Chi was cool when she completely bodied that weird tutor who was whipping Gohan.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

dbzfandiego posted:

I don't think the marriage is loveless its just that we don't see any of it due to this being a fighting manga not a slice-of-life romance.

Yeah, if anything the problem is Goku's a pretty selfish guy. IIRC he had the power to kill Fat Buu and chose not to because "Earth has to learn to defend itself without me" Which in turn lead to everyone dying. Heck he didn't let them wish him back because he wanted the earth to grow without him, when you think about it, considering he had a child on the way and a wife and a still young son in Gohan, that's pretty loving selfish.

I mean that selfishness lead to him 'giving up' against Cell when he had the power to kill the latter before he became 'Super Perfect' But he was hell bent on getting his son to unlock his true potential, needing to be told "Goku, your son is not YOU."

Vegeta in contrast witnessed the death of Future Trunks and despite never hugging Trunks, clearly loved him enough to be a father to him. So yeah Goku isn't winning any Father of the Year awards.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I think it's just that the writers don't expect the audience to really give two shits about anything but punching poo poo in the face and a brief showing of actual content as to not bore us, because we have the attention span of bunnies.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I don't think Goku could've beaten Buu anyway, since he would've run out of time using Super Sayian 3. Also, he didn't let himself be wished back to life because guys kept trying to kill him and thus ruin the world. He's not the best father, but it's not like he was trying to neglect them.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Goku should have brought Pikkon back to Earth on his 24 hour pass too, he was as strong as a SSj2, he could have helped.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

projecthalaxy posted:

Goku should have brought Pikkon back to Earth on his 24 hour pass too, he was as strong as a SSj2, he could have helped.

Pikkon was anime only though (seriously gently caress that character, I hate him he destroys any semblance of appropriate power levels.)

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Monaghan posted:

Pikkon was anime only though (seriously gently caress that character, I hate him he destroys any semblance of appropriate power levels.)

Please do not malign Space Piccolo.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Space Piccolo also gets a super form which is just him getting a face mask

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
I dunno, Pikkon was said to be from an entirely different quadrant of the universe, right? I can totally buy someone, somewhere in the history of the universe being on par with a SSJ2, especially since he's been training in the Otherworld since whenever he died.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Onmi posted:

I mean that selfishness lead to him 'giving up' against Cell when he had the power to kill the latter before he became 'Super Perfect' But he was hell bent on getting his son to unlock his true potential, needing to be told "Goku, your son is not YOU."

He could gently caress Cell up, but he obviously couldn't finish the job and he knew it. That Warp Kamehameha was everything he had.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Brony Hunter posted:

I dunno, Pikkon was said to be from an entirely different quadrant of the universe, right? I can totally buy someone, somewhere in the history of the universe being on par with a SSJ2, especially since he's been training in the Otherworld since whenever he died.

that's fine, the problem is this: Goku hasn't been dead that long when Pikon jobs Cell. Cell should still be way above goku at this point. However, Pikon and Goku fight an even match, which makes no goddamn sense.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Monaghan posted:

that's fine, the problem is this: Goku hasn't been dead that long whe Pkon jobs Celll. Cell should still be way above goku at this point. However, Pikon and Goku fight an even match, which makes no goddamn sense.

Power Levels are bullshit.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

Monaghan posted:

that's fine, the problem is this: Goku hasn't been dead that long when Pikon jobs Cell. Cell should still be way above goku at this point. However, Pikon and Goku fight an even match, which makes no goddamn sense.

Goku can't lose, it's DBZ. (Also he won by ringout which is different, and it's also likely Pikkon was holding a lot back through much of the fight given he didn't immediately turn Base Goku into fine paste)

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

Momomo posted:

I don't think Goku could've beaten Buu anyway, since he would've run out of time using Super Sayian 3. Also, he didn't let himself be wished back to life because guys kept trying to kill him and thus ruin the world. He's not the best father, but it's not like he was trying to neglect them.

And he was completely right as Beerus showed.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Onmi posted:

Space Piccolo also gets a super form which is just him getting a face mask

This is cool as hell

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Space Piccolo saved the day by yelling emotional abuse at a purple bubble in Hell.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Monaghan posted:

though he's stuck in perfect cell form since that's the form he died in, due to the absence of dead 17/18, cell is only as powerful as he is in his imperfect form. ssj2 goku could easily body imperfect cell.

there, problem solved

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Monaghan posted:

Goku keeps up by using Kaioken while as a super saiyan. Which he could only do because he's dead and his body won't explode blah blah blah.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

dbzfandiego posted:

And he was completely right as Beerus showed.

I was really hoping one of the food stand guys could've convinced Beerus to spare the earth because it's a source of so much awesome food.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Monaghan posted:

If you are ever genuinely bothered about power levels in your Goku show not making sense you should probably just end your life because the only road that leads is that kaisenshuu or whatever the gently caress forum.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2015/02/23/voice-actors-revealed-hidden-revival-f-character-profiles/

quote:

FREEZA (Ryūsei Nakao)
Once an evil emperor in space with no limit to his aggression, and the one behind the destruction of the Saiyan’s planet. He is a shape-shifting alien who possesses four forms, powering up each time he transforms.

On Planet Namek, he has a life-and-death battle against Goku & co., but he loses against the Super Saiyan Goku.

After that, he turns his body into a cyborg and comes to Earth, but is killed by the Trunks from the future.

This time, the survivors of Freeza’s forces succeed in bringing him back from Hell, but just what is the extent of his power, which has made a further evolution…?

SORBET (Shirō Saitō)
Rose to the top of Freeza’s army following Freeza’s death. Although his body is small, he is quite cunning. To resurrect Freeza’s army, he plots to revive Freeza with Earth’s Dragon Balls.

TAGOMA (Kazuya Nakai)
Sorbet’s bodyguard. Along with Sorbet, he comes to Earth in search of the Dragon Balls.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

projecthalaxy posted:

Space Piccolo saved the day by yelling emotional abuse at a purple bubble in Hell.

God that movie loving owned. It was the basic premise of Buu, but told much faster and more characters had something to do.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Gohan punched Freeza so hard he exploded. Gotenks fought Hitler and Nazis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Hercule beat a zombie apocalypse.

By himself.

• Locked thread