Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

JazzmasterCurious posted:

Yeah, I finally got to see it. Ferrari are dicks remember when Deadmau5 received a cease-and-desist letter because of his "Purrari" 458?

I read something somewhere (please correct me or call me out on this) that some Arab sheikh wanted some limited run Ferrari but they wouldn't sell him one because he didnt have a prestigious enough Ferrari purchase history. So he bought a bunch of used Ferraris and turned them into taxis in his constituency. Ferrari outraged that their cars were being used as taxis, said touche and sold him the car he wanted if he got the taxis off the street.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

JazzmasterCurious posted:

Yeah, I finally got to see it. Ferrari are dicks remember when Deadmau5 received a cease-and-desist letter because of his "Purrari" 458?

He was selling purrari badges and stickers that infringed upon their trademarks. That's why the C&D. Not the car itself.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Data Graham posted:

It was like

:saddowns:

It was kind of like a disinterested in driving face, which is what they were trying to convey.
I think the segment ran too long, so lost a lot of effect.
But I agree with the sentiments, peugeot used to be good. Then they decided people will buy their cars because they were locally cheap, or imported cheap (for the brand snobs). They used cheap 'features', they just stopped caring about quality engineering and made them as fancy and cheap as possible. As a result, attracted the worst drivers. My english born grandfather while he was in Australia went from french cars to subaru and suzuki, because french cars became so bad.

I would also like the double roundabout explained to me. I've seen larger ones in major thoroughfares (intersections so big you treat them one at a time) . In a small intersection it has no reason for being though.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 23, 2015

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Foxtrot_13 posted:

The ones I have gone through have been easy. They were at a four way junction and are offset with each dealing with two roads and you just give way to the right as normal, even if people coming from the right are coming off the other roundabout.

For example this

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...c70565e638e48f9

One roundabout deals with Parkway and Out Westgate and the other deals with the Cullum Road and Westgate Street with a kibe seperating the two roundabouts. You often have to cross over one into the other but it works when everyone knows what they are doing.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...99200c2bf9f722c

That's the one in the episode.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

FogHelmut posted:

Can someone explain how a double mini roundabout works?
Your rearmost special friend reaches all the way past your middle special friend, and only uses his fingertips, but with both hands.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Who's house did they smack into at the end. They hit it pretty hard but didn't even leave a scratch.
Possibly Clarkson's, they were driving around the general vicinity of Oxford/Chipping Norton and he has a house there.

I do think Peugeot's decline to what they make now is a pity. Those 504s were tough as old boots, the pickup version especially.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I think they should get a customer's Ferrari, and have it vinyl wrapped beige with Dacia logos in place of the Prancing horse.

How the gently caress would Ferrari know who lent TG their Ferrari The Ferrari?

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
Get a Yugo and pretend it's the Ferrari.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Ugh, it only exists so people coming from Banbury rd can turn right. gently caress them, let them find another way, I don't want to learn a whole new traffic system just to suit people I don't care about.

pmMike
Mar 6, 2009

I mean if we want to get REALLY messy with mini roundabouts then look no further than this shitshow:
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.8844274,0.9325482,165m/data=!3m1!1e3

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

Falken posted:

I think they should get a customer's Ferrari, and have it vinyl wrapped beige with Dacia logos in place of the Prancing horse.

I read somewhere that Tesla can track all of their customer's cars including some telemetry, I would be very surprised if Ferrari didn't have a similar capability on their million pound limited edition supercar. Even if they camouflaged it they could very easily find out.

And even if it didn't, credible rumours will probably come out eventually anyway. I think the Enzo they got was from one of the guys from The Who or something.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Plucky Brit posted:

Get a Yugo and pretend it's the Ferrari.

Did the 2CV make it out of Argentina? I'm thinking of another use for it...

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

InitialDave posted:

I do think Peugeot's decline to what they make now is a pity.

The current models are actually quite good. Peugeot had a bad period (407, 307 etc.), but they're back on form now.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Falken posted:

How many of them can there possibly be in the UK?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KozmoNaut posted:

The current models are actually quite good. Peugeot had a bad period (407, 307 etc.), but they're back on form now.
The 208GTi looks like it could be interesting (surprisingly light and over 200bhp), but they properly hosed up the RCZ. Make that mid-engine and RWD dammit.

Comrade Flynn posted:

How many of them can there possibly be in the UK?
This is worryingly close to "How hard can it be?"

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I enjoyed Jeremy's explanation that the Ferrari would come with 17 turbos on it if it wasn't a customer car.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
The Peugeot executive meeting they re-enacted was hilarious. One of the best episodes I've seen in a while!

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I watched it yesterday but I don't recall, did they mention any specifics of the C7? Did it have the 8 speed auto or the Z51 package?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

davebo posted:

I watched it yesterday but I don't recall, did they mention any specifics of the C7? Did it have the 8 speed auto or the Z51 package?

Well...

It had paddles on the wheel.

But Hammond appeared to be shifting.

So either he was Sequential shifting using the auto or the paddles are on both versions?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Shocked not one of you are sad about that red MR2 getting smashed up in the carpark.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Preoptopus posted:

Shocked not one of you are sad about that red MR2 getting smashed up in the carpark.

Check the previous page.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Spiffness posted:

Well...

It had paddles on the wheel.

But Hammond appeared to be shifting.

So either he was Sequential shifting using the auto or the paddles are on both versions?

The paddles on the manual (which he was driving) are to enable and disable automatic rev matching on downshifts.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Spiffness posted:

It didn't really register in my brain while I was watching because I don't recall anyone using the exact phrase "flappy-paddle gearbox" but now that you mention it, the manual C7 does have paddles on the steering wheel but they enable the rev-matching feature.

E:f,b

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Why would the car need two paddles for that? On a 370z it's just a button on the dash.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Probably a cost saving thing. They can build the same steering wheel for the manual and automatic, but just put some different functions on the buttons in software.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Preoptopus posted:

T1g4h posted:

Yeah, it seems Ferrari are even more dickish than I had thought possible. That's seriously absurd.

Also, that Peugeot segment really was amazing, but that poor SW20 :(

It was mentioned that it's been on TG before and it being damaged is nothing new, but still. Poor SW20 :(

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

mod sassinator posted:

Probably a cost saving thing. They can build the same steering wheel for the manual and automatic, but just put some different functions on the buttons in software.

Evidenced by every GM product I've ever seen, GM interiors are simply lovely and bad. Maybe they're lovely and bad to save money in a lot of cases, but the only common thread is their awfulness.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

PT6A posted:

Evidenced by every GM product I've ever seen, GM interiors are simply lovely and bad. Maybe they're lovely and bad to save money in a lot of cases, but the only common thread is their awfulness.

But in this particular instance your gripe is that a feature is quickly accessible without removing your hands from the wheel instead of being a button farther away?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

T1g4h posted:

It was mentioned that it's been on TG before and it being damaged is nothing new, but still. Poor SW20 :(

I'm not sure there's a reason to be that upset about it. I mean, they're fun cars, but they're not rare, and you can pick a manky one up for a few hundred quid easily enough.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

InitialDave posted:

I'm not sure there's a reason to be that upset about it. I mean, they're fun cars, but they're not rare, and you can pick a manky one up for a few hundred quid easily enough.

I know they're not super uncommon or anything, I just think they're rad and it sucks seeing that one get all smashed in. It's not like "OH GOD, THOSE HORRIBLE TOP GEAR BASTARDS" levels of upset, just "Well, that sucks. Poor MR2."

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

T1g4h posted:

I know they're not super uncommon or anything, I just think they're rad and it sucks seeing that one get all smashed in. It's not like "OH GOD, THOSE HORRIBLE TOP GEAR BASTARDS" levels of upset, just "Well, that sucks. Poor MR2."
I get that, I'm just saying it was probably at a only-good-for-parts stage anyway, so it was probably never going to see a future that didn't involve its destruction. Dismantled and chopped up with or without having a Peugeot inserted into it isn't really a big difference.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

InitialDave posted:

I get that, I'm just saying it was probably at a only-good-for-parts stage anyway, so it was probably never going to see a future that didn't involve its destruction. Dismantled and chopped up with or without having a Peugeot inserted into it isn't really a big difference.

Listen, if reading that thread on the Ford Thames camper taught me anything, it's that nothing is beyond saving :colbert:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

angryhampster posted:

Jay Kay was who I thought of when Clarkson said "I have a friend with a Laferrari."
Either Jay Kay or Nick Mason

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It would be great if they could get 30 of them together for the review. Let Ferrari sink their own loving ship.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Due to a sudden mechanical failure of my car, I needed something in a hurry and was seriously considering picking up a little Pug like the one JC was driving and running it for a month while I looked for something decent. (It was banger money, had a long MOT and a decent stereo)

If I had, my Top Gear-loving friends would have found out last week. Setting me up for a right ribbing come today.

Dodged a bullet there.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Hmm... I wonder what the odds are that a bunch of rich guys who are used to having people cater to their every whim would just take it lying down when Ferrari says or implies they can't do something with their car that they bought with their money?

Frankly, I feel like it'd be fairly easy to get more than a few owners to show up just to prove a point.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Actually, speaking of the new Ferrari, do the stalk mirrors look really weird to anyone else? I never noticed them that much before, but last night's TG made me realize just how much they really stick out.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

T1g4h posted:

Actually, speaking of the new Ferrari, do the stalk mirrors look really weird to anyone else? I never noticed them that much before, but last night's TG made me realize just how much they really stick out.

Yeah, they look stupid on the pagani too. They always seem like an after thought. The whole car is a really angular design and then you have these curved stalks.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

PT6A posted:

Hmm... I wonder what the odds are that a bunch of rich guys who are used to having people cater to their every whim would just take it lying down when Ferrari says or implies they can't do something with their car that they bought with their money?

Frankly, I feel like it'd be fairly easy to get more than a few owners to show up just to prove a point.

Careful, a bunch on people not wanting to cater to every whim or take poo poo laying down is how unions start. Rich people wouldn't want to set that example.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 23, 2015

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

spog posted:

Due to a sudden mechanical failure of my car, I needed something in a hurry and was seriously considering picking up a little Pug like the one JC was driving and running it for a month while I looked for something decent. (It was banger money, had a long MOT and a decent stereo)

If I had, my Top Gear-loving friends would have found out last week. Setting me up for a right ribbing come today.

Dodged a bullet there.

You dodged a bullet for sure. The company my dad works for bought a fleet of diesel 307s as company cars and traded them all back in in less than 12 months for a fleet of Mondeos. They're atrocious shitboxes, the engine in our one would randomly cut out at the most inopportune moments and another one literally caught fire.

The cruelest bit was before that before that dad had a 306 GTi6 that he adored, I have a diesel 306 and it's been a flawless beater for the last 18 months with basically no maintenance. They weren't kidding when they said Peugeot seem to have made a deliberate effort to build bad cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Fo3 posted:

Careful, a bunch on people not wanting to cater to every whim or take poo poo laying down is how unions start. Rich people wouldn't want to set that example.
If I can change my membership from Unite to Taxtherich, sign me the gently caress up.