Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Field horns break after one use now? That's a crock of poo poo unless they also have a 100% success rate for getting the monster to come over now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

he's fighting peco :cheeky:

and yea the rest of your post was kind of the point i was making.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Khezu has way too much health for such a boring monster.

It also sucks that he sleeps in a way that you can't get to him unless you're a gunner. It took me a couple of minutes to realize that I could use the fist pump animation to wake him up. Right when I did that, he left the area. I chased him until he went back to the same area and one second before he got into the shock trap that the kitties left earlier, it broke. At least he turned out to be a big gold crown but god, I hate Khezu.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 23, 2015

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I didn't expect to be posting about a comic book crossover thing in this thread, but it looks like Gore Magala is making an appearance in the upcoming 'Worlds Unite' comic so uh

Could indicate Archie Comics is going to try and launch a Monster Hunter ongoing?

SnowVitman
Jun 14, 2014
gently caress rathalos with his charges. Apart form that enjoying the Gunlance a lot.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

That feeling when you accidentally take the difficult route both times for an egg mission.

Kelp Plankton posted:

I didn't expect to be posting about a comic book crossover thing in this thread, but it looks like Gore Magala is making an appearance in the upcoming 'Worlds Unite' comic so uh

Could indicate Archie Comics is going to try and launch a Monster Hunter ongoing?

As long as it's defeated by Titan Tails.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

I could do this all day :cool:

I hate that loving bird and could stare at that gif all day.

I noticed that it seems hard copies of MH4 are about hard as hell to track down lately. Should I be patient and wait for them to show up, or are there any good arguments for nabbing it off Nintendo's e-store to a New 3DS.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

im sure they will be in stock again soon enough. if you cant wait or dont care then buy it off the eshop

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Awesome! posted:

he's fighting peco :cheeky:

and yea the rest of your post was kind of the point i was making.

Well I don't know if the numbers on that attack were changed at all, or if it's just a case of ignoring it before, but it seems like a good source of damage when draw into sword attack into A,X,A,X,et cetera isn't available. Plus, it charges you up and the ending the axe flurry with R to attack into sword mode means you can continue bringing the pain even with your stamina drained.

Dinotron
Sep 2, 2008
We're iced in here in Dallas and I'm stuck inside all day. Anyone want to help me increase my HR? I'd like to get into G Rank sometime this week.

Gathering Hall ID:

14-9422-6157-3218

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Celery Face posted:

Khezu has way too much health for such a boring monster.

It also sucks that he sleeps in a way that you can't get to him unless you're a gunner. It took me a couple of minutes to realize that I could use the fist pump animation to wake him up. Right when I did that, he left the area. I chased him until he went back to the same area and one second before he got into the shock trap that the kitties left earlier, it broke. At least he turned out to be a big gold crown but god, I hate Khezu.

You can climb up the walls and jump from icicle to icicle to reach him. Just put a trap down right below him before you knock him down.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sard posted:

Field horns break after one use now? That's a crock of poo poo unless they also have a 100% success rate for getting the monster to come over now.

Is it not random?

5er posted:

I noticed that it seems hard copies of MH4 are about hard as hell to track down lately. Should I be patient and wait for them to show up, or are there any good arguments for nabbing it off Nintendo's e-store to a New 3DS.

Death to Quropeco.

Yeah I couldn't actually find any physical copies in my town, but I just bought it off eShop because I'm lazy and who cares?

On the downside I can't loan it to a friend (although I could always loan them 3U) on the upside if I lose it, I can redownload it.

I don't see myself trying to sell 4U anytime soon so that's a non-issue.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

5er posted:

To me the question is if there is a good argument for grabbing it physically. I guess you can sell it, but MH is hardly the kind of game you're likely to get rid of (at least until 5, at which point it's resale value will plummet anyways).

Meanwhile on the eshop you can get it immediately, it's saves you a trip to the store plus you have access to your full library of games at any time, without carrying around a bunch of carts.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

some people like actually owning the games they buy :shrug:

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

tower of druaga posted:

You can climb up the walls and jump from icicle to icicle to reach him. Just put a trap down right below him before you knock him down.
Oh, I forgot about that. Thanks.

I wish the kitties would stop putting traps right on the zone borders.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Really the only reason to get a physical copy of the game is if that's what you prefer. There aren't any specific downsides to doing so, but there also aren't really any upsides either.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Really the only reason to get a physical copy of the game is if that's what you prefer. There aren't any specific downsides to doing so, but there also aren't really any upsides either.

You can lend it to a friend

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If your friends don't already own MH4 and play it with you then they're not actually your friends.

That is a good point though I guess.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Save data goes on cartridge for physical, which is different and why I have physical copy

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There is one downside I can think of for buying it digital if you have a New 3DS: The SD-card slot is on the inside of the console, so you have to take a tiny screwdriver and undo the back in order to get it out if you want to put it in another 3DS or swap it out or something (but you're probably never going to do either of those things so really that's just a hypothetical).

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Zaphod42 posted:

In general though sword form is way better and it charges so fast (and its painless to 'reload') so why not use that most of the time? :cheeky:

See this is exactly why I dumped the Switch Axe for the Charge Blade in 4U. I wanted to use a giant loving axe, not "use a giant loving axe when I can't use the far superior sword mode".

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

CJacobs posted:

There is one downside I can think of for buying it digital if you have a New 3DS: The SD-card slot is on the inside of the console, so you have to take a tiny screwdriver and undo the back in order to get it out if you want to put it in another 3DS or swap it out or something (but you're probably never going to do either of those things so really that's just a hypothetical).

You will do it once when you first buy is and put in a 32 gig card for dirt cheap and never worry again.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

CJacobs posted:

I bought physical for the pin and because I've had more SD cards fail than Nintendo QA'd game cartridges. Until Capcom gives us some external tool for making backups (never), I'll stick to the better track record option.

Mostly for the pin though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Neo_Crimson posted:

See this is exactly why I dumped the Switch Axe for the Charge Blade in 4U. I wanted to use a giant loving axe, not "use a giant loving axe when I can't use the far superior sword mode".

Yeah, it does make me think a plain "Axe" would work out pretty well in MH.

I personally just want GS-Fast Edition though, and that's exactly what SA gives me.

It should be called SwitchSword. :colbert: I also love the idea of unfolding a gigantic fuckoff greatsword like its a pocketknife. That's so metal.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I think the next weapon is going to be dual throwing axes that can morph into swords for melee mode.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

So it turns out I really, really like lances, but I'm not sure if I'm fighting as well as I could be. Any good videos to recommend?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Lizard Wizard posted:

So it turns out I really, really like lances, but I'm not sure if I'm fighting as well as I could be. Any good videos to recommend?

you mean like one of the ones in the op?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Awesome! posted:

you mean like one of the ones in the op?

This is kind of a bit silly of me, but I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the subtitled videos GaijinHunter makes. I'd rather have one with voice if at all possible. Still, thanks for the reminder!

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
If Switch Axes could vault I'd never touch another weapon.

But I do love the IG for its jumping.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Lizard Wizard posted:

This is kind of a bit silly of me, but I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the subtitled videos GaijinHunter makes. I'd rather have one with voice if at all possible. Still, thanks for the reminder!

Read it out loud

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
I have the weirdest luck with drops. I've carved more Bird Wyvern Gems from Velocidromes than I have tough hides.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

SwitchAxes are really cool and a lot of fun. It wasn't as much of a resource managing weapon as charge blade is I guess, but you get really sweet reach, and mobility in axe mode, and great burst damage in sword mode. Plus both modes have a a way to just burst down idiots when given the opportunity (wild axes/phail burst).

People who treat it like a weird greatsword didn't use it to it full potential.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Also Seregios was a cool fight. I tried to fight him with chargeblade, a weapon Im not comfortable with, and died. Then I fought him with great sword and it was a lot less difficult.

But really bleeding is a terrible effect oh my god I hate it.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I treat it like a gunlance with better evasion but a lovely wyvernfire.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I want to like Gunlance but I don't.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Bread Set Jettison posted:

SwitchAxes are really cool and a lot of fun. It wasn't as much of a resource managing weapon as charge blade is I guess, but you get really sweet reach, and mobility in axe mode, and great burst damage in sword mode. Plus both modes have a a way to just burst down idiots when given the opportunity (wild axes/phail burst).

People who treat it like a weird greatsword didn't use it to it full potential.

Pretty much how I feel. I tend to use it more in axe mode than sword mode but when I do use it in sword mode, back the gently caress up, I'm going to town on this motherfucker. That's the beauty of Switch Axe, if you prefer one mode over another, they're both completely viable to use near-100% of the time if you really want to.

Chumpy
Dec 28, 2008

Nap Ghost
Yeah I'm not sure that the people who say axe mode is useless really understand the versatility of the switch axe. Sword mode is powerful sure, but the combination of reach, mobility, and power the axe gives is kind of ridiculous. Need that tail? Oh sure I'll just stand back here, swing up, sidestep, swing up some more, rinse & repeat. Combo into sword mode when the monster flinches or gives an opening, sidestep out when he turns to face you.

Basically leveraging both modes lets you apply constant pressure while staying mobile. Only sheath if the monster runs away or if you're a huge pussy.

e;fb

Chumpy fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 24, 2015

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Potsticker posted:

Was it? I never used it. Or axe mode at all, charging was either reload or sheathe.

That clip was from 3U, unless someone put Peco in 4. The R button finisher is new, and I love it. But gently caress the guys that didn't use Axe mode. Tails were my bitch and I loved the increased mobility. I used it more than Sword mode, and just punished trips or extended combos with it.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Also Seregios was a cool fight. I tried to fight him with chargeblade, a weapon Im not comfortable with, and died. Then I fought him with great sword and it was a lot less difficult.

But really bleeding is a terrible effect oh my god I hate it.

Excuse me, his name is Steve, get it right. :colbert:

Also bring some steaks to chow down on and undo the effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Should I be trying to solo these quests in the Gathering Hall or is that strictly multiplayer only?

• Locked thread