Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
"West Coast droneship under construction will be named "Of Course I Still Love You""

All this makes me more sad about Banks' passing :-(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

One day I hope to read about the Meatfucker docking with the ISS.

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf

Player of Games posted:

He had a sudden, paranoid idea. He turned to Chamlis urgently. 'These friends of yours are ships.'
'Yes,' Chamlis said. 'Both of them.'
'What are they called?'
The Of Course I Still Love You and the Just Read The Instructions.'
'They're not warships?'
'With names like that? They're GCUs; what else?'

Of course, they are named after General Contact Units - that is, after all, what the barges were built for - to have the rocket 'Generally' Contact them while they get the Specifics sorted out :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA5boBWEKPg

9-Feb-2014 "SpaceX successfully lands on the floating landing platform "Just Read The Instructions" after launching NASA's DISCOVR observatory"

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Gangringo posted:

One day I hope to read about the Meatfucker docking with the ISS.

Mankind reaches Mars aboard the USS "What are the civilian applications?"

Edit:

Thinking about it, the ultimate fate of Meatfucker has always troubled me. Do we really want a GCU obsessed with genocide to be the first culture contact absorbed into the OCP?

lenoon fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 6, 2015

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

lenoon posted:

Thinking about it, the ultimate fate of Meatfucker has always troubled me. Do we really want a GCU obsessed with genocide to be the first culture contact absorbed into the OCP?

I thought that was a big part of why the OCP reported that the Culture universe wasn't ready to be contacted yet? Between the near-war and Meatfucker's issues they certainly gave a poor first impression.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Is there any timeline on Excession being published for kindle? I can't find anything but may be dumb.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Captain Monkey posted:

Is there any timeline on Excession being published for kindle? I can't find anything but may be dumb.
Which country? It's definitely available in Canada and the US Amazon stores for Kindle:
http://www.amazon.ca/Excession-Iain-M-Banks-ebook/dp/B00GVG1BZK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423228196&sr=8-1&keywords=excession
http://www.amazon.com/Excession-Culture-Iain-M-Banks-ebook/dp/B00GVG1BZK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423228205&sr=8-1&keywords=excession

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

For the US, check your link again. It appears in the store, but for some reason cannot be purchased, and I really don't want to get the paperback because I have everything else on my kindle and it would bother me to have one book sitting out there, and a gap in my kindle list. :smith:

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

I thought that was a big part of why the OCP reported that the Culture universe wasn't ready to be contacted yet? Between the near-war and Meatfucker's issues they certainly gave a poor first impression.

I thought the Excession had the Elench ships too -- didn't it? I thought its judgment was pretty reasonable given the overall state of the Galaxy. But it's been a while since I read that one, I should go back for another look.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It picked up the Peace Makes Plenty and Break Even, yeah.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

It's probably also smart enough that it doesn't really matter whether it reconstructs the overall state of the Galaxy from the Grey Area's mind state or from any other Mind.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Captain Monkey posted:

For the US, check your link again. It appears in the store, but for some reason cannot be purchased, and I really don't want to get the paperback because I have everything else on my kindle and it would bother me to have one book sitting out there, and a gap in my kindle list. :smith:

I'd email Kindle support then, cause that is weird. They're actually quite good at responding.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
http://www.newser.com/story/182274/doctors-find-44-year-old-fetus-in-woman-84.html

czg
Dec 17, 2005
hi
Well this is interesting.
http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/arts/news/dying-wish-of-scots-author-iain-banks-revealed-1-3690835

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I've never read any Ken MacLeod, thoughts on this from people who have?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Seems like Ken feels he's been let off the hook and doesn't actually have to do it though. Which is a shame because that would be really cool :smith:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I just found this, and thought I'd share - a twitter account of Culture Ship names based on recent media events.

The one for when Banks announced his cancer was ROU: The Worst Possible News :smith:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

That summary of the Culture is hilarious.

Liveware
Feb 5, 2014

Barry Foster posted:

The one for when Banks announced his cancer was ROU: The Worst Possible News :smith:

"Melancholy Enshrines All Triumph."

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

MikeJF posted:

I've never read any Ken MacLeod, thoughts on this from people who have?

I've read a couple of his novels and they never really grabbed me. I don't think he can pull off the sense of whimsy that Banks had - I think it would end up with a darker tone and less well-developed characters.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Is there anywhere you can find Excession as an e-book? Book storage woes have made me take a strict ebook-only stance on new purchases so I would really like to avoid having to get a physical copy.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Halfway up the page, though it sounded like there were problems with the US store edition. UK here:

Amazon

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Note that you can order from the UK kindle store just by changing your country under "Manage Your Content and Devices" -> "Settings". Add a valid UK address (10 Downing Street, London, SW1A 2AA, United Kingdom), order the book, then switch back to your actual address.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

withak posted:

Note that you can order from the UK kindle store just by changing your country under "Manage Your Content and Devices" -> "Settings". Add a valid UK address (10 Downing Street, London, SW1A 2AA, United Kingdom), order the book, then switch back to your actual address.

I can confirm that this works, but I've heard it's dangerous - a few people have reported having their purchase removed by Amazon for having falsified their location, though I haven't heard of that happening recently.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've done it a couple of times without problems. If you are worried then download it to your computer and use Calibre to strip the DRM.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Kesper North posted:

I can confirm that this works, but I've heard it's dangerous - a few people have reported having their purchase removed by Amazon for having falsified their location, though I haven't heard of that happening recently.

I've done it 8 times dating back to 2012 (starting with Red Country). So far, so good.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Y'know, there are other colors than cerise.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
Sat down this afternoon with Consider Phlebas and didn't get up again until I was done with it. It's some real good poo poo.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Yes. Yes it is.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is Consider Phlebas the first book chronologically? I remember Player of Games referenced the Idiran War as 700 years in the past. A lot of the books involve Dziet Sma and I think the Idiran War is in the past for her?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, all of the other books take place a fair bit of time after the Idiran War.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

State of the Art may be a comedy novella, but I think I'll remember Dziet's angry "money implies poverty!" comment. I bet the writers of Star Trek had wished they'd thought of that one.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm a little confused as to why Inversions is titled the way it is. Is it because DeWar was the one who favored active intervention, while Vocill believed in non-violence, and DeWar completely failed to accomplish anything while Vocill turned a whole nation around and is implied to have her knife-drone murder several people?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
The parables are told in a gender-neutral manner, but it's Vosill who is the active, directly interventionist one. She tries to push the King toward her more liberal views while DeWar is content to be a reactive force. He doesn't try to shape the Protecterate; he's happy to look for martial threats and confide in Perrund.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

The Dark One posted:

The parables are told in a gender-neutral manner, but it's Vosill who is the active, directly interventionist one. She tries to push the King toward her more liberal views while DeWar is content to be a reactive force. He doesn't try to shape the Protecterate; he's happy to look for martial threats and confide in Perrund.

I've finally finished Use of Weapons after putting it down 3 times. I've read Considering Phlebas and Player of Games. What should I pick up next?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

gohmak posted:

I've finally finished Use of Weapons after putting it down 3 times. I've read Considering Phlebas and Player of Games. What should I pick up next?

Depends which you like the most and why, really. Inversions is a Culture novel seen very much from the outside, so it has themes of Phlebas. Excession has a lot of Mind interaction, also you could say it's the Culture being the other side in a Special Circumstances operation. Use of Weapons is the nonlinear story of one SC operative, many would say it is at least top 2.

I read them in order of publication, except I read Player before Phlebas.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
The audiobook of Excession ready by Peter Kenny is really good. Don't usually go in for Audiobooks but had a long drive with my mom, we both really enjoyed it. She listens to a ton of audiobooks and said the voice acting was really top notch. It's fun hearing the various voices he assigns to the minds.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

xian posted:

The audiobook of Excession ready by Peter Kenny is really good. Don't usually go in for Audiobooks but had a long drive with my mom, we both really enjoyed it. She listens to a ton of audiobooks and said the voice acting was really top notch. It's fun hearing the various voices he assigns to the minds.

That's good to hear. I was worried about that one due to how much of the book is repeated lists of recipients of messages. It seems like that could get annoying after a while.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Depends which you like the most and why, really. Inversions is a Culture novel seen very much from the outside, so it has themes of Phlebas. Excession has a lot of Mind interaction, also you could say it's the Culture being the other side in a Special Circumstances operation. Use of Weapons is the nonlinear story of one SC operative, many would say it is at least top 2.

I read them in order of publication, except I read Player before Phlebas.

I did not enjoy Concidering Phlebas but Use of Weapons and Player of Games were brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Imo Consider Phlebas is the weakest, but also an outlier, it's very feuilleton setpiece-to-setpiece-like. The others cohere better.

• Locked thread