Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Noaloha posted:

Or, crap, I could just ask "what are your personal 2-player game preferences?", and take any suggestions as the recommendations they are.

Yomi is pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Noaloha posted:

Or, crap, I could just ask "what are your personal 2-player game preferences?", and take any suggestions as the recommendations they are.

Earth Reborn, Claustrophobia.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Countblanc posted:

Yomi is pretty good.

I'm a Battlecon man myself, if I could actually get people to play it regularly but my playgroup just plays too much Dominant Species, Ground Floor and Caylus to get any two player games in.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 23, 2015

Noaloha
Dec 28, 2012
All going down on the list for perusal and I'll obviously have a chat with whoever's behind the storedesk also, if only as an excuse for a conversation. I'll be heading into Dragon's Lair in Stockholm, which I read is a pretty good spot. Really appreciate the recommendations and any further ones. Thanks!

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Avalon Hill recieved a letter from a scientist with a PhD (who was also an Avalon Hill fan) complaining he couldn't understand the rules.

admanb posted:

If he's a good Agricola player I can't imagine he'd have a hard time picking up Dungeon Petz.

Yeah, worker placement games are great because the turn-to-turn decisions are generally easy to understand. I used to house-rule out beggar cards for him but played Agricola with the full rules the last time we played and he did OK.

One nice thing about Agricola is I can challenge myself to maximize my own points and my son still enjoys the game because he feels like he's accomplishing something.

Does Dungeon Petz have more direct player vs. player conflict?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

disperse posted:

Does Dungeon Petz have more direct player vs. player conflict?
In the "aggressively blocking spaces they want that you don't really need, just to screw with them" way? All over the place.

Do the pets, like, fight each other? No.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Noaloha posted:

Just been ambushed with the news that I am to go into town tomorrow to pick up a fun, two-player boardgame.

Outside of osmosis, I'm all-but-new to the tabletop boardgames scene (through circumstance moreso than choice -- never did find/seek a social group to get started in the hobby).

I see there're a couple of 2-player recs in the OP, both seem quite specific in their thing though (one wears its abstract qualities on its chest, one seems very 'serious' for all its plaudits).

I'll certainly keep both the OP recommendations in mind, but I was wondering if anyone might fancy dropping further names. To narrow things down as for myself and the other player, I'd be looking for something which has at least some immediacy, quick-ish to pick up and play. Don't mind complexity, as long as that complexity isn't right there on the surface. Thematically, I tend to skew away from stuff that feels cheesy or wacky or zany or, poo poo I dunno, if the game loudly exclaims "pirates versus ninjas versus zombies, awesome!" or uses 'epic' to describe itself in the internet usage sense, I'm gonna be put off. I'm not at all sure how well super serious wargames would go down with the other player, but I'm keeping it as an open possibility. Other than that, I guess not crazy expensive. Not crazy long playtime. Any ideas?

I'd add Dominion to the list. It does play up to 4 but I like it best with 2.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Do the pets, like, fight each other? No.

Oh my god this had better be the next expansion

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah, Dominion is a pretty decent choice.

the real answer is twilight struggle

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

disperse posted:

Yeah, worker placement games are great because the turn-to-turn decisions are generally easy to understand. I used to house-rule out beggar cards for him but played Agricola with the full rules the last time we played and he did OK.

One nice thing about Agricola is I can challenge myself to maximize my own points and my son still enjoys the game because he feels like he's accomplishing something.

I find it amazing that you can get a 7 year old to play Agricola; my 15 year old nephew couldn't even wrap his head around it (or more likely didn't care to). Do you play with cards? How does he do, like is he improving and getting better or is he just playing around?

alathar
Jan 6, 2004
O_o

Noaloha posted:

Just been ambushed with the news that I am to go into town tomorrow to pick up a fun, two-player boardgame.

Asking about personal preference is going to in general net you much deeper games, which may not be what two people new to boardgames would want to dive into. On the shallower/popular end I will throw out Bananagrams, Dominion, Paperback, Forbidden Desert/Pandemic, Jaipur, and Splendor. If you can find it, my SO actually enjoys playing CV. The first game I've purchased that's gotten requests for play. Your local store may not carry it though.

Fake Edit: Typed up before Dominion was suggested.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Oh wait, is this a 2 player game for someone new to boardgames? Delete Earth Reborn then. My bad.

Noaloha
Dec 28, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Oh wait, is this a 2 player game for someone new to boardgames? Delete Earth Reborn then. My bad.

Nah, that's my bad. I didn't mention it in my post initially (I went back shortly after and edited in a line or two about being pretty much newcomers).

One other thing I didn't mention, I'm slightly more curious about trying a co-op game out over a Vs. game. The quality matters primarily (so I'll opt for a great 2-player versus game over a middling co-op one), but if there are any good co-operative 2-players that are currently notable, by all means throw them my way.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Hanabi is a good co-op game for 2 players.

Time for pages of Hanabi hate/love...

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Memoir 44 is my favorite light 2-player game. 5 minutes to learn, very intuitive system.

Space Hulk (not the card game version) is great too if you want to spend more money.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Noaloha posted:

Dominion is a perennial favorite of the thread, plays 2-4, and belongs in every collection.

It plays like someone took the fun part of Magic: the Gathering (creating a deck) and made that a game unto itself. Each game, you start with a small deck of ten awful, low value cards, and a shared market of cards that you can buy and add to your deck. Over time, you craft a more and more powerful machine. The rules of the game are dirt simple, with most of the "complexity" being carried by cards and their interactions. Plays in 20-30 minutes.

$45 retail to buy either original Dominion or Dominion: Intrigue, either of which can be played just fine by its lonesome. From there, Dominion has 8 (soon to be 9) expansions, which combine to create one the deepest, most varied games on the market.

Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends is another 2-4 player favorite, designed by thread hero Vlaada Chvatil. You play as summoners competing in a ritualized duel/performance. You create and command legions of magical statue-soldiers and try to arrange them into mystical patterns to summon even more powerful creatures and please the random aesthetic whims of the Lords of the Arena.

Basically, think Wizard Chess from Harry Potter, except it's Wizard Go instead. 1-2 hour playtime, depending on player speed. $40 retail for the latest edition. (You want the one that DOESN'T have the "Z-Man Games" logo.)

Yomi and BattleCON get into West Side Story-style gang wars in this thread. There's a lot of snapping and dancing.

Both are card games that try to emulate 2D arcade fighting games, and both revolve around players secretly picking a move from their hand and revealing at the same time. Yomi is more abstract, with a focus on timing and setting up combos. BattleCON is more spatial, with a focus on maneuvering and perfect information. Yomi has 21 very, very tightly balanced characters, and assumes you'll pick one character as your "main" to practice and master. BattleCON has 58(!) canon characters, a slew of secret and promotional characters, and assumes you want to try a variety of different playstyles, as well as a variety of alternate modes of play. They're mostly balanced pretty alright, sure. Both games are very deep rabbit holes, and both have their own threads. I prefer BattleCON, but it's very much a taste thing. (Mostly, I don't like how Yomi depicts its female characters.)

Yomi is $40 retail for a pack of 4 fighters, and will cost ~$200 for a full set. (Sirlin Games is currently releasing a new edition, and all the new fighters aren't available yet. You can get an older edition with the first 10 fighters for $100, but it's out of date.)

BattleCON: Devastation of Indines is $75 retail and comes with 30 fighters, plus arenas, extras, and a cooperative dungeon crawl mode. BattleCON: War of Indines (Revised Edition) is releasing in a couple months, and costs $50 for 18 fighters. BattleCON: Fate of Indines will release in a couple months as well and costs $25 for 10 fighters. All three games are standalone, but are also fully compatible with one another. (Note, there is an older edition of War of Indines from like 2008. It comes in a small brown box. DO NOT BUY THE OLD EDITION. It is ugly as sin, and the characters need errata.)

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 24, 2015

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Lugubrious posted:

Any tips for eight- or nine-player Eclipse? Gonna be playing tonight (not sure if the ninth will show), and I'm wondering if there's any strategies particular to the inflated game size. Probably gonna be playing Mechanema or Planta.

Yeah, here goes:

Set up home sectors in the third ring like the book suggests
Don't use planta or descendants at all, like the rule book suggests.
Do what the book suggests, do not deviate.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I would say deviate in one area: agree a house rule for what happens when the player with the second first player pawn wants to research as their current action (the only thing you can't do when holding that pawn) because it will happen and it's not dealt with in the rules. If your actions for the turn go 'research, upgrade, move' and you have to research to do the latter two because your move doesn't work until you've done so... you get hosed over by having that pawn.

It's one of the reasons we've not tried the simultaneous play variant since the first couple of times, we just wound up having too many long discussions about it instead of playing.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
Went on a bit of a buying binge and picked up a few things!

Terra Mystica - Fire & Ice We tried out a 2 player game with this expansion trying out the Dragon Lords and Yetis. The Dragon Lords use a neat mechanic that is all about gaining and losing power (purple pellets that typically you cycle through bowls) instead of using spades. To terraform, you discard power to the supply, while gaining spades through normal power actions adds more power to your supply. It's a weird mechanism that is VERY easy to hamstring yourself with. I played with the Yetis and REALLY liked their stronghold power that lets you re-use power actions over and over. Load up on power cycling benefits, and BAM: Need money? Get 7 money 2 or 3 times. It was really sweet. The biggest problem we had with the expansion was that we were super rusty with the core game having not played it in months. If you like Terra Mystica you can't really go wrong with this expansion. It also adds more ways to earn points via a random secret scoring method such as "most buildings on the edge" and so on.

Eldritch Horror - Mountains of Madness Alright I haven't played this yet, just pored over the new cards and looked through the rules. Focus actions seem like the biggest/most welcome change to overall game play. But, like someone said 20 pages ago, you don't need the expansion to implement this action into your game. Anyhow, who doesn't want more research/more characters/more items and so on in Eldritch Horror? I'm a little disappointed but also kind of strangely relieved that the Antarctic board isn't used all the time. Looking forward to spending some actual time on it this week.

Suburbia - My wife saw this at our local over-priced board game store and said "Want this!" so that happened. Rahdo calls it the best Sim City type board game he's played and I'd agree. We had some friends over and broke it open for some 4 player games and had that magical moment at the end of the first game where everyone just kind of looked at each other and was like "Yea let's play that again!" That hasn't happened in ages, so I call it a big win. The game does a stellar job of giving you straightforward rules, unexpectedly good player interaction, limits and balances that seem daunting but give you a lot of opportunity to play things your way. On top of that, it gets into story generator territory because people start making little stories for their suburb to explain why so many projects are huddled around a McDonalds. In a two player game, it might not be as fun as 4 player since properties can't won't be getting sniped before your turn comes back around.

Noaloha
Dec 28, 2012
As a sort-of aside to my previous posts, I've lazily been browsing around the recommendations and I was looking at the Yomi and BattleCON mentions (extra thanks to Gutter Owl for that nice effortpost btw) and, crap.

Crap, crap, crap. No faaaaair.

Hand on my heart, no poo poo, and entirely separate to anything, coming as it does from the weird-arse realm of peculiarly timed coincidence -- in my spare time over the past three days, I've been sat in a dark room with a notebook, colouring pens, scissors and sheets of card, designing what I figured must obviously be the first card game based on 2D fighting game systems. Gods drat it Yomi. Gods drat it BattleCON. Just today I got it to a playable proof of concept stage, with a rock-paper-scissors-and-more mindreading stage using a somewhat permanent hand for determining initial attacks and evasions, coupled with a rummy/Uno-esque system played more randomly from the hand, deck and stockpiles for representing combos. Skimming through the details on the two games mentioned, I see some stark similarities! I was so pleased with myself for having such a unique (not at all unique, evidently) idea, one that I've been very happy to childishly fantasise about and let bubble over in the back of my mind as a road to eventual fame and riches. What a naive tit I am.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
People in the US are finally getting their Dungeon Lords Kickstarter rewards, so time is running out for the goonesnsus on it to turn before I get my hands on it, like every other project I've backed on regoondemendations.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Both of these games, while good, still don't cover all the ground there is in fighting games systems. Keep it up!

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Campbell posted:

Suburbia - [...] In a two player game, it might not be as fun as 4 player since properties can't won't be getting sniped before your turn comes back around.

I actually find Suburbia WAY better with two players. In a 4 player game you can't plan much because the market will be radically different from one of your turns to the next. In a 2-player game a key tile can still get sniped or turned into a lake, but unlike a 4-player game it's probably not going to happen turn after turn, leaving you with hardly any space to plan ahead.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Regarding the "redesign the wheel" problem, I can't tell you how many times I've played Game X and thought "oh now here's a clever mechanic that would speed this up/make this more interesting/etc." only to find out some other game did just that, only way better than I imagined. Don't worry about it.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Poopy Palpy posted:

People in the US are finally getting their Dungeon Lords Kickstarter rewards, so time is running out for the goonesnsus on it to turn before I get my hands on it, like every other project I've backed on regoondemendations.

I don't know how the goonsensus could possibly turn on Dungeon Lords. Maybe if everyone simultaneously decided they hate good and fun things.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Impermanent posted:

Both of these games, while good, still don't cover all the ground there is in fighting games systems. Keep it up!

Yeah absolutely, there's more than one way to reflect life as a peasant in France after all. Yomi cribs heavily from SF2, and BattleCON waxes closer to some combination of airdash games and Smash, there's lots of other styles of game to pull from. Just... make sure that you actually evoke the theme of the games in the mechanics and not just the art. Playing fighting games, or really any fast-paced head to head game, makes you feel stuff that you just don't get in other genres, and you need to latch onto that and bring it out through mechanics and player interaction. It isn't enough to just give cards anime super move names like Checkmate Buster or Chained Burst (though you absolutely should do that anyway), you gotta make getting access to the resources that make those work feel rewarding. Saying that a Punch beats a Throw works, but what does that mean for the players and how can you work in the mindset a player has to use as a grappler player to overcome that?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Gutter Owl posted:

Yomi and BattleCON [...]

Both are card games that try to emulate 2D arcade fighting games, and [...]

Thanks for the writeup that centered around the look and feel of these games, as well as the head's-up on what all the different versions of BattleCON:[xyz] actually mean. I found it really helpful.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Countblanc posted:

Yeah absolutely, there's more than one way to reflect life as a peasant in France after all. Yomi cribs heavily from SF2, and BattleCON waxes closer to some combination of airdash games and Smash, there's lots of other styles of game to pull from.

How long until a board game of Divekick?

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Well, Flash Duel exists.

Noaloha
Dec 28, 2012
With the "keep it up" and "don't worry!" advice, I realise my post may have come across a little melodramatic and additional woe-is-me. Caught red-handed with the melodrama, no excuses, but no woe-is-me; I'm definitely laughing at the situation (and myself). Anything seemingly defeatist in tone there should be treated with tongue firmly, forcefully in cheek. I'll absolutely keep tinkering with the idea, it's been fun getting my toes wet at card game design, trying my hand at puzzling through systems, seeing which of the numerous idea cogs I need to combine on the peg board to get it, whatever 'it' might be, turning smoothly.

In ten years' time, keep your eyes peeled for SUPER PRESS BUTTONS HYPE-ER EDITION, lurking in the archives of a free-to-download game templates website near you.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

unpronounceable posted:

How long until a board game of Divekick?

Checkers?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Gimnbo posted:

Well, Flash Duel exists.
That... is actually a pretty good analogue, yeah.

Noaloha
Dec 28, 2012
For a Divekick boardgame, I have images of a particularly nasty version of playground favourite, Slapsies; two players, each holding a two panel, heavy cardstock gameboard at the foldable spine, brandishing it like a snapping crocodile mouth, both attempting to loudly clamp the nose of their opponent.

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003

Rutibex posted:

I find it amazing that you can get a 7 year old to play Agricola; my 15 year old nephew couldn't even wrap his head around it (or more likely didn't care to). Do you play with cards? How does he do, like is he improving and getting better or is he just playing around?

I've played Agricola with my 6 year old now a few times, (Family game, no cards) and he enjoys it. He also enjoys Agricola:All Creatures Great and Small, Lords of Waterdeep, the DnD Adventure games, even some Powergrid. Granted his reading skills have been pretty advanced for his ages, but his mathematics is lacking somewhat, hence why I gently nudge him into game where I can have him do some mental arithmetic. Keeping his attention focussed on the longer games can be a challenge though.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Avalon Hill recieved a letter from a scientist with a PhD (who was also an Avalon Hill fan) complaining he couldn't understand the rules.

Rutibex posted:

We were playing with the family rules but the last time we played I dealt him a hand of cards (which he pretty much ignored). He likes collecting the animals in different pens and doesn't like eating them so I have to keep reminding him to grow some wheat and bake it into bread. The last time we played his family hardly starved at all which I considered an improvement.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

unicr0n posted:

I've played Agricola with my 6 year old now a few times, (Family game, no cards) and he enjoys it. He also enjoys Agricola:All Creatures Great and Small, Lords of Waterdeep, the DnD Adventure games, even some Powergrid. Granted his reading skills have been pretty advanced for his ages, but his mathematics is lacking somewhat, hence why I gently nudge him into game where I can have him do some mental arithmetic. Keeping his attention focussed on the longer games can be a challenge though.

That's great! We've been playing D&D Wrath of Ashardalon this week which he likes pretty well. It is really hard for me to avoid telling him what to do each round though. I prefer Agricola because I can let him make his own choices (besides gently nudging him toward food production).

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
My 4 year old can play Takenoko and Galaxy Trucker decently, I'm sure he'll be able to handle a worker placement in 3 years time.

Poopy Palpy posted:

Don't worry, it's incredible-y bad

Got my replacement combat board the other day, I'm keen to try out the expansion soon. Overall I'm quite happy with the way CGE ran the kickstarter, they had some teething issues and got screwed by shipping/customs but the product itself is wonderful and they've responded pretty well to the problems they had.

Not being the US helps too.

Jedit posted:

Counterpoint: some of the starting tiles are not well balanced. Doomed World may as well read "The game continues with one less player". You lose one coloured die for the entire game, 1-2 VPs and a trade world in exchange for a whole $5, $1-2 of which you would have got anyway.

You get $7 more than normal. It says so right on the tile. I'm not sure what the $1-$2 is either as no good trades for less than $3. Have you actually played the game?

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
I just won a game of Temporum via a 30-card Barbarian Horde.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Love to order dings&dents copies of Caverna on eBay and getting it and being completely unable to find aforementioned dings or dents :cool:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Bubble-T posted:

You get $7 more than normal. It says so right on the tile. I'm not sure what the $1-$2 is either as no good trades for less than $3. Have you actually played the game?

Yeah, Doomed World isn't my favorite start, but starting with 8 bucks lets you quickly power out your starting development and/or planet (depending on cost) without needing to worry about money. It's a great way to explode out of the gate, even if its long-term potential is less than stellar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

sonatinas posted:

Hanabi is a good co-op game for 2 players.

While I love Hanabi and it's pretty good with 2 players, it gains so much depth and variety of clues from 3+ players that I'm disappointed when playing with 2 now.