Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cyphoderus posted:

What are some other good comics that also happen to be about action and superhero teams? Is there any Avengers (and affiliated titles) run/storyline that's considered really good?

You might enjoy the Kurt Busiek run on Avengers, which ran from around 1998 to about 2004. It's a kind of "greatest hits" run - it has a more or less "classic" line-up and pits them against most of their classic enemies. It also has probably the best Ultron story there's ever been.

It has been collected in five TPBs (Avengers Assemble Vol. 1-5); alternatively, the first of what I imagine will be a couple of omnibuses will be released shortly.

I personally really like the Roger Stern run on Avengers from the 1980s, though it isn't to everyone's taste.

You may also enjoy JSA by Geoff Johns, which spun out of Grant Morrison's JLA. It's one of my top five favourite superhero comics of all time; the second of three omnibus collections was recently published.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Cyphoderus posted:

I wanted a recommendation on action-y team superhero comics. Things in the genre I've read and enjoyed a lot:
Grant Morrison's Justice League
I've also got Morrison's X-Men lined up for reading.

What are some other good comics that also happen to be about action and superhero teams? Is there any Avengers (and affiliated titles) run/storyline that's considered really good?

Seven Soldiers of Victory. Also Wheadon's XMen run but you'll want to read Morrison's first.

Remender's X Force run is also great but if you're that far behind you'll want to read some other X Books first. Also would recommend Hickman's FF run, as parts of it lead into what's happening with Avengers (also it's great)

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

What should I pick up if I want to get into Moon Knight (both new and old)?

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I got a Scribd subscription recently, and it's got comics on it and I'm enjoying the fact that I can read comics on a tablet while sitting on the toilet like a goddamn king. Is there anything on Scribd I should check out? I haven't really kept up with comics since I was a teenager, so you can safely assume I haven't read most things, but I'm also less interested in mainstream superhero stuff than I used to be. I like film noir, good art, dialog that isn't too on-the-nose, and supernatural elements, if that helps.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Wheat Loaf posted:

You may also enjoy JSA by Geoff Johns, which spun out of Grant Morrison's JLA. It's one of my top five favourite superhero comics of all time; the second of three omnibus collections was recently published.

While I agree with this recommendation wholeheartedly, it's important to note that you want Johns' JSA - when it's relaunched as Justice Society of America it becomes a steaming turd that you should avoid.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Maybe check out Darwyn Cooke's Parker adaptations, and then have a look at the Rocketeer or some of Valiant or Top Cow's stuff. Valiant and Top Cow have the Marvel/DC shared world idea, but with more of a sci-fi and horror bent, respectively. Can't vouch for quality across the board, but most of the Valiant books, at least, have gotten solid reviews.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Baby Babbeh posted:

I got a Scribd subscription recently, and it's got comics on it and I'm enjoying the fact that I can read comics on a tablet while sitting on the toilet like a goddamn king. Is there anything on Scribd I should check out? I haven't really kept up with comics since I was a teenager, so you can safely assume I haven't read most things, but I'm also less interested in mainstream superhero stuff than I used to be. I like film noir, good art, dialog that isn't too on-the-nose, and supernatural elements, if that helps.

Alan Moore's From Hell
I haven't read Rocketeer, but I hear great things about it
Take a look at the books from Top Shelf to see if anything catches your eye: their books are generally pretty good and are a wide variety of genres

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Baby Babbeh posted:

Going to once again suggest Hickman's FF run

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
Locke & Key, Baby Babbeh, Locke & Key.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Opopanax posted:

Going to once again suggest Hickman's FF run

He wants to read things on the toilet. Poor bastard's gonna get leg cramps if you saddle him with something that long.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

TwoPair posted:

He wants to read things on the toilet. Poor bastard's gonna get leg cramps if you saddle him with something that long.

I'm going to suggest he takes breaks in between readings but far be it for me to tell a man how to live his life.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cyphoderus posted:

I wanted a recommendation on action-y team superhero comics. Things in the genre I've read and enjoyed a lot:
Chris Claremont's Uncanny X-Men
Warren Ellis' Stormwatch and Authority
I've been catching up with Avengers by Jonathan Hickman (just finished Infinity) but not liking the bad pacing and poor character work; I find it reads like a movie trailer of itself. Maybe New Avengers is better about this?

New Avengers Volume 1 by Brian Michael Bendis. Since there's been a bunch of comics called New Avengers the one you want starts with a prison break on a super-villan prison called the raft.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cyphoderus posted:

Chris Claremont's Uncanny X-Men
Warren Ellis' Stormwatch and Authority
I've been catching up with Avengers by Jonathan Hickman (just finished Infinity) but not liking the bad pacing and poor character work; I find it reads like a movie trailer of itself. Maybe New Avengers is better about this?

If you enjoyed Claremont, you could do worse than check out Marv Wolfman and George Perez's New Teen Titans, which was DC's answer to Claremont's X-Men.
Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men follows on from Morrison, so you can pretty much move on to that when you're done.
I really enjoyed Exiles (until, ironically, Claremont took it over) and Avengers Academy. They're both mostly self-contained, barring some minor crossovers, and they're not earth-shattering, but they're very solid, fun superhero stuff.
Thunderbolts is always at least interesting through it's many incarnations.
And Gail Simone's Birds of Prey is divisive, but I think it does a good job with some lower key, street level/martial arts-y action, mixed in with a dash of humour and a focus on women and LGBT characters that's only now becoming more commonplace.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Raffles posted:

What should I pick up if I want to get into Moon Knight (both new and old)?

The trade of Ellis' recent run.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The trade of Ellis' recent run.

Also the first series by Moench and the Huston series.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
Thanks for all the superhero team recommendations, everyone.

Opopanax posted:

Remender's X Force run is also great but if you're that far behind you'll want to read some other X Books first. Also would recommend Hickman's FF run, as parts of it lead into what's happening with Avengers (also it's great)
Why? Is there a very strong continuity with the X books? Also you're talking about the actual sereis called FF, right? Not his Fantastic Four stuff?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
FF and Fantastic 4 under Hickman were basically one book that released biweekly.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Cyphoderus posted:

Thanks for all the superhero team recommendations, everyone.

Why? Is there a very strong continuity with the X books? Also you're talking about the actual sereis called FF, right? Not his Fantastic Four stuff?

The Fantastic Four/FF stuff is tied together, shouldn't read one without the other.

Also you can (and should) read Uncanny X-Force without any context, though it helps to know a little bit about what went down during Age of Apocalypse. Not essential though.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
A friend of mine's 11 year old kid is really getting into the Teen Titans Go! tv show and would like to read some of the comics. Since I am the designated comic book guy I have been asked.

I don't know enough about this to recommend anything that's suitable for an 11 year old because, well, I really don't know enough about DC. What's a good collection of the Teen Titans for a kid to read that's sort of 'mainline titans' stuff (their dad has already got them the teen titans go collection book thing)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He might be too young to graduate right to most of the regular TT series. Teen Titans: Earth One could be a borderline appropriate next step, but there's lots of angst, evil parents and violence, a same sex set of fathers (maybe that's an issue.) Also, there's only one graphic novel so far and it ends on a cliffhanger.

I haven't read any of them, but a Young Justice trade would probably the thing. There's a DC universe series and one based on the cartoon https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Justice

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Feb 27, 2015

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

He might be too young to graduate right to most of the regular TT series. Teen Titans: Earth One could be a borderline appropriate next step, but there's lots of angst, evil parents and violence, a same sex set of fathers (maybe that's an issue.) Also, there's only one graphic novel so far and it ends on a cliffhanger.

I haven't read any of them, but a Young Justice trade would probably the thing. There's a DC universe series and one based on the cartoon en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Justice

She comes from a fairly progressive house but I think that some of the violence stuff might not be that acceptable. They're pretty socially progressive but they're not that okay with the gratuitous violence and sexualization that's tended to come along with the New 52 which is where the concern is coming from.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sorry for the 'he.'
I haven't read a lick of the first Scott Lobdell run New52 Teen Titans, but last year's relaunched series has been fine on the sexuality side (Starfire is the problem. A rude awakening from her kid friendly version*, but she's not in the book) There's even a well adjusted gay hero on the team. I think it's pretty good, as well as that Earth One OGN (which is also not sex-skeezy at all) but I wouldn't recommend either to a kid under 12 at the least (without knowing the kid.)

I'd see if she responds well to some clips of the Young Justice cartoon on Youtube and try the cartoon comic if that works.

Also, if she'd enjoy something Harry Potterish, there's a really good young teen girl aimed comic in Gotham Academy http://www.comicvine.com/gotham-academy/4050-77219/

* Though from the cover of her solo series starting in July, there could be promise still, probably not for a pre-teen.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 27, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

To be honest I'd never recommend a fan of either Teen Titans cartoon read a Teen Titans comic, past or present.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

To be honest I'd never recommend a fan of either Teen Titans cartoon read a Teen Titans comic, past or present.

Okay so what would you recommend?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Um... The older cartoon was pretty heavily influence by the Wolfman/Perez run. They more or less did direct adaptations of the Trigon and Deathstroke stories from that book.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

The Fantastic Four/FF stuff is tied together, shouldn't read one without the other.

Also you can (and should) read Uncanny X-Force without any context, though it helps to know a little bit about what went down during Age of Apocalypse. Not essential though.

Gotcha. Thanks!

Sion posted:

If you're looking for general comic recommendations for a 11-year old, here are some ongoing series that are appropriate, good, and not condescending kid stuff:
Lumberjanes - Basically it's written for pre-teen girls. More importantly, though, it's one of the more fun, more high-energy comics out there right now. An absolute blast, I'd recommend it to everyone.
Ms. Marvel - Written with a more teen audience in mind (deals with strict parenting, awkward teen quasi-relationships, role of youth in today's world), but also very fun superhero stories.
Adventure Time - Can't vouch for the graphic novels or spin-off series, but the regular-numbered comics run (just reached issue 37, I think) is way more fun than it has any right to be. I've never watched the cartoon, so I'm not biased in that direction, but this run has been very good with surprisingly deep storylines despite the superficial wackiness.

All of these feature zero sexualization, genuinely good female characters, and only cartoony violence on robots or monsters.

e: Something that's more mature in theme but still appropriate in terms of content is the current Silver Surfer series. It's a lot like Doctor Who, if you've watched that. I've heard it described as "feel-good space opera" and it's mostly accurate.

Cyphoderus fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 27, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Sion posted:

Madman!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sion posted:

Tiny Titans, the original Jamie Reyes Blue Beetle, the current Ms. Marvel, the webcomic JL8. :)

Gaz-L posted:

Um... The older cartoon was pretty heavily influence by the Wolfman/Perez run. They more or less did direct adaptations of the Trigon and Deathstroke stories from that book.

I think the cartoon took everything that works about the Titans and dumped everything that really, really doesn't. And the comic got really really bad for a really long time after that particular run.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Sion posted:

I've only read the webcomic before it started getting a print run, but I really liked Cleopatra In Space! Preteen Cleopatra and her talking cat get into adventures featuring rocket ships and ray guns.

It's only two issues in, but Unbeatable Squirrel Girl was a hoot. It's written by the guy who worked on the Adventure Time comic for a long time.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
If you're looking for DC stuff I'm kind of at a loss right now, but if you/she is okay with Marvel then Marvel Adventures all day every day forever.

Comes in both Avengers and Spider-Man flavors. Available on Marvel Unlimited and... frankly I don't know if there are any trades or anything.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So that's where Hard Hat Spidey came from

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

LordPants posted:

So that's where Hard Hat Spidey came from

Yeah, when the issue was new someone posted that page and everyone who had something interesting or at least vaguely amusing to say about it got an avatar. I think there's only like three of us left that still have it but for a while there there were entire pages in BSS full of nothing but Hardhat Spidey avatars.

It was glorious.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I got a hardhat for BSSSS that year.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Sion posted:

Has she watched the original series? Otherwise none of the comics are particularly good at all, much less children's material

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Anyone know of anything about or taking place during The French Revolution (preferred) or June Rebellion (acceptable)? Especially if it's got really striking art.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Anyone know of anything about or taking place during The French Revolution (preferred) or June Rebellion (acceptable)? Especially if it's got really striking art.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rose_of_Versailles

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 2, 2015

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Not sure if quite what you're looking for, but off the top of my head I'm pretty sure there's a chapter or two of Sandman during the French Revolution. There's also a chapter of The Invisibles where they travel back in time to get the Marquis de Sade, and I'm almost positive it's set in the Revolution as well. Don't know about any graphic novels, unfortunately.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Probably not what you're looking for BUT there's a nifty 7-page Steranko story you can read here.

Also, again, probably not what you're looking for, but of course there's an Elseworlds one-shot called Batman: Reign of Terror that stars Captain Bruce Wayne as Not The Scarlet Pimpernel.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 2, 2015

MrCompson
Jun 17, 2005

A few months ago I started getting into comics again, after not really reading any since high school, and even then I mostly just read a handful of comics in trades (Sandman, Y: The Last Man, Preacher, Bone and some Alan Moore stuff). I'm basically looking for a pretty broad range of new comics to add to the pile (concluded series or ongoing are both fine), but crime fiction/noir or character driven comics of any kind are of particular interest to me. I'm enjoying several ongoing Marvel comics, so I'm not opposed to adding more superhero comics to the reading list either (Hickman's FF/F4 run is definitely on my radar). As far as comics I've read lately go, I've really loved Saga (being badgered into reading Saga got me into comics again), Fraction's Hawkeye, Bone (my favorite comic growing up and after a re-read I can safely say I still love it), Stray Bullets, Brubaker's crime/noir comics, Scalped, Southern Bastards, Thor GOT (I think I have a thing for Jason Aaron), Superior Foes of Spider-Man, and Ms. Marvel. Most of the comics I've been reading are from the last couple of years, so you can probably assume I'm unfamiliar with anything going back further than that.
I also have a pretty big (at least compared to what I expected) pull list:

Image:
Black Science, Chew, Copperhead, Deadly Class, Death Vigil, East of West, Lazarus, Low, Manhattan Projects, Rat Queens, Saga, Sex Criminals, Shutter, Southern Bastards, Stray Bullets, The Fade Out, The Wicked + The Divine, The Woods, Tooth & Claw, Velvet

DC/Vertigo:
Batgirl, Batman, The Kitchen

Marvel:
Avengers, Black Widow, Captain Marvel (considering dropping it), Daredevil, Elektra, Hawkeye, Inhuman (probably dropping it soon), Loki - Agent of Asgard, Ms. Marvel, New Avengers, Nova, Secret Avengers, Silk, Silver Surfer, Spider-Gwen, The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Thor, Uncanny Avengers

Boom! Studios
Cluster, Lumberjanes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

MrCompson posted:

crime fiction/noir or character driven comics of any kind are of particular interest to me.

Try the Dennis O'Neil run of The Question from the 80s. It's great, but I'm not sure how to acquire it nowadays.