Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Fusion Reborn is my favorite of the movies. I also like Wrath of the Dragon because I'm a sucker for giant space kaiju and the Super Dragon Fist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, I'm another who calls Fusion Reborn the best movie. Janemba is Buu but better in every way.

Plus the actual animation on some of Janemba's abilities is god-drat gorgeous. Like the Bunkai teleport, where he disappears into the tiny cubes.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I will say this Tagoma looks pretty cool. Its a shame he apparently does not last very long.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

a cartoon duck posted:

Man I loved that final filler arc in Dragon Ball that was basically just Goku and Chi Chi's honeymoon adventures and I was pretty disappointing going into DBZ to find her character's just angry mom and now and she and Goku don't do anything together anymore.

I saw DBZ first and it was a big surprise for me going back and reading Dragonball where Chi-chi is basically Videl and kind of cool rather than a terrible harpy womn.

I'm sort of glad we never got much of Gohan and Videl together, since we didn't really get a chance for he character to get ruined too.

TheKingofSprings posted:

To be fair loving nobody on that tower was doing anything to Buu, let alone the people they were actually stalling for time to come bail them out.

Also, I was always under the impression that the Androids were really strong, but couldn't get stronger than they were when they were created.

To be fair, 18 really doesn't seem the type to train, she never really wanted to have superpowers.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don't know how you get that, he barely interacts with Bulma either. I think he interacts with Chi Chi more than her.

Maybe in DBZ, but in Dragonball he and Bulma are pretty tight.

Goku is a terrible father because he is an average saiyan. He doesn't really care about his brother, his wife is just some woman who lives in his house and cooks for him and his kids are just things he can train to become great warriors. Back on Vegeta Goku would have gave no shits about sending his kid in a space pod to another world, hit his head or no. Vegeta is like the only saiyan who actually cares about his family. Did Goku even give a gently caress when Buu turned Chi Chi into an egg and squished her? Vegeta's wife got slapped and he went so ballistic he became powerful enough to deck a god straight in the face.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Prison Warden posted:

Maybe in DBZ, but in Dragonball he and Bulma are pretty tight.
They are tight, but he doesn't treat her much differently than Krillin or Roshi.

Prison Warden posted:

Goku is a terrible father because he is an average saiyan. He doesn't really care about his brother, his wife is just some woman who lives in his house and cooks for him and his kids are just things he can train to become great warriors. Back on Vegeta Goku would have gave no shits about sending his kid in a space pod to another world, hit his head or no. Vegeta is like the only saiyan who actually cares about his family. Did Goku even give a gently caress when Buu turned Chi Chi into an egg and squished her? Vegeta's wife got slapped and he went so ballistic he became powerful enough to deck a god straight in the face.

To be fair Vegeta didn't give a gently caress when Buu ate Bulma either.

They are kind of arbitrary with what they care about. Like Goku freaks out a bit when he is getting owned by Frieza about what he will do to his family, but doesn't give a gently caress about Buu.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

CharlestheHammer posted:

They are tight, but he doesn't treat her much differently than Krillin or Roshi.

To be fair Vegeta didn't give a gently caress when Buu ate Bulma either.

They are kind of arbitrary with what they care about. Like Goku freaks out a bit when he is getting owned by Frieza about what he will do to his family, but doesn't give a gently caress about Buu.

But Vegeta snapped after Buu blew up earth and went nuts at Goku for saving Hercule instead of their sons.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
What's great about Vegeta and Bulma is, as shoehorned and convenient as their relationship is, they actually have on-screen chemistry. He's the only male character on the show that wouldn't get totally flattened by her personality. It's a great match.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

If you are ever genuinely bothered about power levels in your Goku show not making sense you should probably just end your life because the only road that leads is that kaisenshuu or whatever the gently caress forum.

I'm not really bothered at all, but I do think the original manga had more consistent power levels, where as the anime you had poo poo like garlic junior posing a threat to piccolo after he fused with nail.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
He doesn't care about his brother who beat the poo poo out of all his friends, kidnapped his son, and sucker punched him when he wouldn't help him genocide Earth.

I feel like that's not really a Saiyan thing there.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Monaghan posted:

I'm not really bothered at all, but I do think the original manga had more consistent power levels, where as the anime you had poo poo like garlic junior posing a threat to piccolo after he fused with nail.

He really didn't, since Piccolo got tired of his poo poo and started beating Garlic's rear end.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Why didn't they bring back Dr. Wheelo for a filler arc, that would have been way cooler

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Justin_Brett posted:

Why didn't they bring back Dr. Wheelo for a filler arc, that would have been way cooler

That and Dr. Gero really ripped off his look.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Monaghan posted:

Piccolo was struggling because Kami was being ripped out of existence in another dimension. It was loving Piccolo up in the real world.

Edit: I hate that Garlic Jr wasn't better, because it has one of my favorite Piccolo moments. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMTRoJ0OFcs

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 24, 2015

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Endorph posted:

though he's stuck in perfect cell form since that's the form he died in, due to the absence of dead 17/18, cell is only as powerful as he is in his imperfect form. ssj2 goku could easily body imperfect cell.

there, problem solved

If Goku could train with his dead body, Cell could as well, meaning Cell would progress faster than Goku due to more advantages while having his cells/drive. That's why villains don't have bodies in hell when Toei doesn't make stuff up, unless they're trapped and tortured in their own personal hell (Freeza).

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Monaghan posted:

Videl looks younger then how she did in the series, it's sort of weird.

Her haircut and clothing have a lot to do with making her look a lot younger, though I think it looks like everyone's gone back in time a bit (except Gohan). The character designs are really different. Everyone's more slender and stuff. They all look like "timeless anime characters" instead of "people who've aged and gone through poo poo."

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Onmi posted:

But Vegeta snapped after Buu blew up earth and went nuts at Goku for saving Hercule instead of their sons.

Vegeta didn't even know Bulma was dead until right before they fused. That was actually the impetus, at least in the English Dub, for him saying 'FINE'. He heard Buu killed his wife and went 'Okay now it's worth being fused with you forever'.

That's how I remember it, I think.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Stallion Cabana posted:

Vegeta didn't even know Bulma was dead until right before they fused. That was actually the impetus, at least in the English Dub, for him saying 'FINE'. He heard Buu killed his wife and went 'Okay now it's worth being fused with you forever'.

That's how I remember it, I think.

Pretty much

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU-FNy6RG80

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I really like Fusion Reborn, but I also really like the movies before/around the time of SSJ 1. It was really cool giving the rest of the cast things to do and baddies to fight, and some of the stories have this weird storybook/tall tale angle that make them unlike anything in DBZ. Just weird attacks, or concepts (like the tree with the power fruit on it) that aren't really ever touched upon anywhere else.

My birthday is coming up if anyone wants to buy this as my avatar. No pressure.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Watching battle for the first time. I haven't watched anything post cell games in a decade, but want gohan unable to go ssj after his power up during the buu story? I've never seen him do it at least.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

Watching battle for the first time. I haven't watched anything post cell games in a decade, but want gohan unable to go ssj after his power up during the buu story? I've never seen him do it at least.

Yeah, that is the point of it. His final power up (theoretically) unlocked the maximum ultimate amount of power he can obtain so that transforming would be meaningless because he literally can't get any more powerful.

Not like it matters.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Kingtheninja posted:

He did in GT (Notorious for mucking up tonnes of plot) and will be doing it in Revival of F. He couldn't in the Buu Saga because Grand Kai (at least in english) implies the power is incompatible with his Mystic powers. Which made him stronger than Super Buu.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Onmi posted:

will be doing it in Revival of F.

We'll see. The trailer for Battle of the Gods had him transforming too before fans pointed out he shouldn't need to anymore and they changed it.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Doesn't he go Super while they try to channel power to Goku so he can go Super Saiyan God?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

We'll see. The trailer for Battle of the Gods had him transforming too before fans pointed out he shouldn't need to anymore and they changed it.

I wonder if he could learn the Kaioken though, since it's not really a "Form reached through anger" like the Super Saiyan state... well... uh... Look Super Saiyan used to have meaning, now it's just a transformation.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Onmi posted:

I wonder if he could learn the Kaioken though, since it's not really a "Form reached through anger" like the Super Saiyan state... well... uh... Look Super Saiyan used to have meaning, now it's just a transformation.

Goku would have to teach it to him. And if he did that, he'd have to explain why he didn't teach it to Krillin, Tien, and Yamcha ages ago before they went and faced the Androids and Cell. A Kaioken'd-up Tien probably could have done some serious damage to Semi-Perfect Cell when he was blasting him into the ground.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

-Fish- posted:

Doesn't he go Super while they try to channel power to Goku so he can go Super Saiyan God?

This is one of the weird things. He does.

Technically though, what Old Kai said in English Dub wasn't that it wasn't 'incompatible', just 'It's not useful to you'. I think it was specifically something like 'You don't need that transformation anymore'

It seems that being a Super Saiyan can not break your preset 'power limit', whatever that is. That means that when Gohan goes Super Saiyan, he's just wasting energy on a Transformation that he doesn't need. It doesn't make him stronger, it just means he loses energy; which fits with Beerus' later statements that Transformations have an issue of being supremely wasteful with Energy. Kaio-Ken might have the same issues; it wouldn't break his 'limit', it would just tire him out faster.

Presumably he still needed to be one to give Goku Super Saiyan God Powers because blah blah Pure Heart blah blah Super Saiyan Energy.

It seems that, logically, Gohan would return to 'Third Strongest being Alive' if he went full time training like Goku; he might even Surpass Beerus or Whis, it's not really clear. But he doesn't because Gohan isn't a fighter, he's by his nature a peaceful soul. Which meant he could get super loving angry when he needed to against Cell, but it seems that something happened with the Elder Kai stuff that made that not really possible anymore.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

-Fish- posted:

IIRC they said he still can transform he just doesn't need to because it doesn't change anything aside from his hair color.

On the other hand he got bodied by a god so I guess God Power is stronger?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

New Leaf posted:

Goku would have to teach it to him. And if he did that, he'd have to explain why he didn't teach it to Krillin, Tien, and Yamcha ages ago before they went and faced the Androids and Cell. A Kaioken'd-up Tien probably could have done some serious damage to Semi-Perfect Cell when he was blasting him into the ground.

That's probably King Kai's fault for not teaching the earthlings anything

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
What's the deal with "God ki"? Beerus says that the type of ki that the mortals use will be useless against him. Does King Kai have God ki? Do Supreme Kai and Old Kai? They should, since they're gods, but the Saiyans are all way stronger than them.

If God ki is totally superior than mortal ki, and Goku can now use God ki, what's the danger of Freeza training his normal ki and getting stronger? No matter how strong Freeza gets, he won't be a danger to Goku if he's just using normal ki. He can get stronger than Ultimate Buu, it still wouldn't matter.

Going back to Gohan for a second: can Gohan train and get stronger still? Or did the mystic power-up bring him to his absolute limit and he can't get any stronger?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Blue Star posted:

What's the deal with "God ki"? Beerus says that the type of ki that the mortals use will be useless against him. Does King Kai have God ki? Do Supreme Kai and Old Kai? They should, since they're gods, but the Saiyans are all way stronger than them.

If God ki is totally superior than mortal ki, and Goku can now use God ki, what's the danger of Freeza training his normal ki and getting stronger? No matter how strong Freeza gets, he won't be a danger to Goku if he's just using normal ki. He can get stronger than Ultimate Buu, it still wouldn't matter.

Going back to Gohan for a second: can Gohan train and get stronger still? Or did the mystic power-up bring him to his absolute limit and he can't get any stronger?

Goku still hasn't mastered God Ki probably. I think the idea is that while the god ki makes you immune to regular ki, it doesn't stop Goku or Vegeta from just loving decking you in the face, and normal ki can still make you stronger and faster, so the Supreme Kai and the like, well, Goku could just instantly charge in and punch him like a thousand times before they could react.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

I don't think he ever said he was immune to normal ki. I know King Kai said that a mortal couldn't sense god ki, but that was pretty much it.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Blue Star posted:

Gohan can still train and get stronger; he can still get rusty. He just will never be above his Mystic Level.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I liked the Yamcha scene in Battle of Gods. It reminded me of early Dragonball when Yamcha was the most worldly of the characters and would always have background information on stuff and would come up with plans sometimes. It is more like later Dragonball in that said plan failed extravagantly.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Yamcha got to talk more than he has in like two decades and he used it to gently caress up so badly, the world almost got destroyed. If nothing else, Yamcha is really good at finding new ways to be useless.

also that scene where they hold Trunks hostage is probably the best written scene in DBZ

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

So i'm guessing all these new pages are about Superman's abysmally stupid super saiyan power-up he just got?

Superman why don't you just go away, you haven't been relevant since the 30's.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
I'm pretty sure Beerus mumbles some intrigued gibberish about mortal ki seeming useless against the divine when Vegeta's gallick gun fails to damage him. He had drawn a few flecks of blood with punches and kicks in the moments previous, so that probably is the case.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Parrotine posted:

So i'm guessing all these new pages are about Superman's abysmally stupid super saiyan power-up he just got?

Wait, WHAT?

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

VanSandman posted:

Wait, WHAT?

Superman recently developed a new power where he unleashes all his energy into an explosion but it leaves him powerless for 24 hours afterwards. It's closer to Vegeta's Final Explosion (minus the petrification and dying) than it is to turning Super Saiyan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Parrotine posted:

VanSandman posted:

Wait, WHAT?

Horrible Taste posted:

Superman recently developed a new power where he unleashes all his energy into an explosion but it leaves him powerless for 24 hours afterwards. It's closer to Vegeta's Final Explosion (minus the petrification and dying) than it is to turning Super Saiyan.
Visually it is similar...

But since Dragonball borrowed from Superman, Superman can borrow from Dragonball.

• Locked thread