Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Suggestions for a small backpack that doesn't scream I HAVE A CAMERA PLEASE MUG ME?

I want to take my camera on a day hike in a touristy area and I think a messenger bag/sling type would get annoying flopping around at my side (unless someone can suggest a sling that isn't floppy). I just got my first DSLR so I don't have too much stuff to put in it, just the body and a couple lenses.

If you carry a Leica and a Billingham then you might get mugged. Otherwise no one really cares about your "DSLR".

The Kata slings aren't floppy but their recent product lineup is ho-hum. Manfrotto makes decent slings but their shoulder straps suck. Guess I'm just used to messenger bags and shortening the strap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

caberham posted:

If you carry a Leica and a Billingham then you might get mugged. Otherwise no one really cares about your "DSLR".

Honestly, in my experiences from South America to sketchy big city North American neighbourhoods to weird communities up north, this has proven true more often than not.

Consider convenient ways to carry your stuff, first and foremost. You should probably have your camera out and ready to shoot and in that case everyone knows you have pricey camera poo poo.

Same goes for putting gaff over the Canon or Nikon logos, imo.

Jesus, I'm talking like I think I'm Robert Capa or Jim Natchwey.

caberham posted:

The Kata slings aren't floppy but their recent product lineup is ho-hum. Manfrotto makes decent slings but their shoulder straps suck. Guess I'm just used to messenger bags and shortening the strap.

I'm convinced that the Kata 3n1 I was wearing at the time is responsible for me displacing a tendon in my foot the day before my wedding. Can't recommend them, sorry.

I go through bags like crazy...I'm never happy with them. For straight up camera transport in an urban environment and on my bike, I haven't found a better combo than the F-Stop ICUs I mentioned earlier and a real bike messenger bag left over from when I was an actual bike messenger (PAC Designs, for anyone interested).

For anything else it's Think Tank Retrospectives (or Urban Disguises if I'm moving through airports).

Edit: I should say, that I only use the ICU and regular backpack combo when I'm doing something like backcountry skiing or mountain biking or hiking or whatever. In these cases, carrying essential stuff is more important than comfortably carrying my camera nonsense. I've tried a couple "adventure" oriented bags (but not F-Stop because I can't seem to buy one) and they've all fallen short either in the camera-carry department or the backpack department.

Rot fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 9, 2015

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

alkanphel posted:

Maybe consider a camera pouch like the Crumpler Haven? Fits in most backpacks.

Pouches are pretty rad. If you are going on back packing trips and trying to go with 1-bag travel, then use pouches to stash your gear for longer trips. Separating the body from the lens saves you so much more packing space.

Rot posted:

Honestly, in my experiences from South America to sketchy big city North American neighbourhoods to weird communities up north, this has proven true more often than not.

Consider convenient ways to carry your stuff, first and foremost. You should probably have your camera out and ready to shoot and in that case everyone knows you have pricey camera poo poo.

Same goes for putting gaff over the Canon or Nikon logos, imo.

Pretty much, but the tape is great when people like to comment on your camera model. A 5D? WHAT? YOU KNOW THE 5D3 IS ALREADY OUT? OMG A 1DX WOW YOU HAVE SO MUCH MONEY! OH YOU SHOOT CANON? WELL YOU KNOW NIKONS ARE BETTER FOR PORTRAITS :suicide: gently caress those guys, they don't even grip the cameras properly and squint their eyes going through the viewfinder or keep the autofocus beep on.

quote:

I go through bags like crazy...I'm never happy with them. For straight up camera transport in an urban environment and on my bike, I haven't found a better combo than the F-Stop ICUs I mentioned earlier and a real bike messenger bag left over from when I was an actual bike messenger (PAC Designs, for anyone interested).

For anything else it's Think Tank Retrospectives (or Urban Disguises if I'm moving through airports).

Edit: I should say, that I only use the ICU and regular backpack combo when I'm doing something like backcountry skiing or mountain biking or hiking or whatever. In these cases, carrying essential stuff is more important than comfortably carrying my camera nonsense. I've tried a couple "adventure" oriented bags (but not F-Stop because I can't seem to buy one) and they've all fallen short either in the camera-carry department or the backpack department.

Hey bag hater lover :hfive: Those F-stops ICUs look super awesome, if only they have a messenger bag option then my back packing trips would be awesome. Funny enough, nowadays I just rent a car or take more time resting so I don't care about being too mobile.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Somehow, I have an irrational dislike of Lowepro bags and users. Same goes for Manfrotto and Think-tank. I don't know why :ohdear:

https://vimeo.com/54027710

Looks pretty awesome, I like how they aren't padded too much so they don't get too bulky.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL

feigning interest posted:

The filson bag won't break apart lol it will however scratch your camera up with the zipper.

You're right, the zippers on this thing are rough... On the other hand, I don't carry a camera every day, and it's a drat good briefcase/ laptop bag.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

caberham posted:

Pretty much, but the tape is great when people like to comment on your camera model. A 5D? WHAT? YOU KNOW THE 5D3 IS ALREADY OUT? OMG A 1DX WOW YOU HAVE SO MUCH MONEY! OH YOU SHOOT CANON? WELL YOU KNOW NIKONS ARE BETTER FOR PORTRAITS :suicide: gently caress those guys, they don't even grip the cameras properly and squint their eyes going through the viewfinder or keep the autofocus beep on.

Yeah ok that's a legit reason to tape over the logos.

Back when I was a 1D user ( :smug: ) I could trump the clowns but now...anyways gently caress those guys.

Seriously, gently caress those guys.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Rot posted:

Yeah ok that's a legit reason to tape over the logos.

Back when I was a 1D user ( :smug: ) I could trump the clowns but now...anyways gently caress those guys.

Seriously, gently caress those guys.

Oh, you shoot digital? Thats probably so useful for facebook. *furiously loads film*

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Suggestions for a small backpack that doesn't scream I HAVE A CAMERA PLEASE MUG ME?

I want to take my camera on a day hike in a touristy area and I think a messenger bag/sling type would get annoying flopping around at my side (unless someone can suggest a sling that isn't floppy). I just got my first DSLR so I don't have too much stuff to put in it, just the body and a couple lenses.

Further up the page, I gave a rough look at the F-Stop Brooklyn Sling which I think is pretty neat. It doesn't flap around if you use the second strap designed to prevent exactly that. I'm using a mirrorless kit with primes only and even if I put every bit of kit I own that goes with it, the total weight would be crap-all. DSLR + extras is something I'd prefer to put in a backpack to better distribute the weight. You might be different.

I'll echo Rot in saying F-Stop ICUs are worth a look. You can use them in other bags, but the F-Stop bags designed with the ICUs put them to use in the best way. I'm surprised more companies haven't copied their ideas outright.

Their bags don't say much about what's inside them and they accommodate both camera gear and other things (including water bladders) while keeping them separate. The camera gear is accessed via a zip that goes against your back when worn (recessed so it won't irritate), which offers multiple advantages: no sneaky theft when the bag is on your back; if you put the bag down to access your stuff, you won't be dirtying the part that will go against your back; and you can access your gear without completely taking the pack off if you leave just the waist strap on and swivel the pack around—hard to explain, but best shown via some image I found online of this being done with the Loka.

How much other stuff you want to take with you will dictate the most suitable sized backpack. If you're just getting around town, the Guru (was just recently revised, with some minor but very welcome changes) and a small ICU is excellent. The Loka and above can carry a lot of stuff, which may be too much or just right, depending on where your hikes take you. I own and have used both and they're both great.

The Smoky Mountain in the Millar Series looks great also. I do prefer backpacks with waist straps to transfer the weight onto the hips instead of the back. If you're not carrying much, it might be a neat alternative at a reasonable cost. There isn't as much security or utility, but it definitely doesn't draw attention to itself and I kinda like how the bag partition operates.

Once again, I'm sorry if I sound like a shill for F-Stop. They're the only camera bag company I've come across where it seems they actually use the bags they make. I've tried alternatives from Lowepro, Crumpler, and Think Tank and only the latter makes a bag I like in the Retrospective series.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Cool, the Loka looks fun. I got an Osprey 48L top loading and it's more of a camping backpack but it does have an awesome water bladder pouch. I might spring for a Loka and get an ICU. It beats all my other carry on, or my Osprey 60L. But any tripod holders for F-stop bags? If I can strap a tripod on, it would be perfect.

I got to mostly hot humid tropical places, so most of my weight is in camera gear and souvenirs (food).

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Danoss posted:

Once again, I'm sorry if I sound like a shill for F-Stop. They're the only camera bag company I've come across where it seems they actually use the bags they make. I've tried alternatives from Lowepro, Crumpler, and Think Tank and only the latter makes a bag I like in the Retrospective series.

I'm right there with you, brother.

After going through a few backpacks meant for skiing/biking/hiking, I've never had an F-Stop bag. Twice now my Paypal payment has timed-out (30 days, I think?) because they were back-ordered.

I love Think Tank for general use, but I'm constantly searching for the right bag for backcountry ski/bike/hike nonsense.

My posts here and on flickr don't reflect it but I absolutely need something that can carry camera things and the essential backcountry stuff. Since I drink a lot of beer and sit in front of a computer too much, I'm fat and slow and yet I'm also the Photographer on our stupid trips. This means I'm constantly searching for the right pack to carry the essentials (WATER, plus avalanche gear and extra layers plus emergency stuff in the winter or basically the same stuff in the summer) and my camera crap. And I need it to be comfortable and easy to carry.

The closest I've came so far is the Clik-Elite Contrejour 35 (http://clikelite.com/product/backpacks/new-2014-contrejour-35/). It served me well enough I suppose but 3 weeks in Peru/Bolivia did it in and was a kind of lovely pack for skiing. The zippers are now destroyed, it couldn't easily hold shovel/probe/saw for avi work, and it was heavy.

It had pretty good access to the camera but frankly sacrificed it's "backpackness" for camera duties imo.

I need it ALL, damnit!!

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I think the solution if you are a film shooter is a tactical vest. You strap on those shotgun shell carriers, and then you load your 120 film into those, you use a medium sized pouches to keep your lenses, and you can even slide the tripod feet on your lens into the webbing.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Wild EEPROM posted:

I think the solution if you are a film shooter is a tactical vest. You strap on those shotgun shell carriers, and then you load your 120 film into those, you use a medium sized pouches to keep your lenses, and you can even slide the tripod feet on your lens into the webbing.

Yeah, exactly.

For when you (the film shooter) are forced into a situation like this:

I'd hate to miss that shot!

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

F-Stop bags and ICUs are the business though. I really like them and they're made for photographers with loads to carry. Here's how I setup my ICU for LF shooting: https://flic.kr/p/nYL5L4

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

alkanphel posted:

F-Stop bags and ICUs are the business though. I really like them and they're made for photographers with loads to carry. Here's how I setup my ICU for LF shooting: https://flic.kr/p/nYL5L4

Dude, seriously. I can't seem to get one of these bags. A Loka or a Tilopa BC and appropriate ICUs, that's all I ask. Why is it so hard for me to give them my money?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Rot posted:

Dude, seriously. I can't seem to get one of these bags. A Loka or a Tilopa BC and appropriate ICUs, that's all I ask. Why is it so hard for me to give them my money?

You might have better luck if you can find a local distributor. That's where I bought mine from here: http://www.macshopsg.com/

They do ship internationally it seems so maybe you can order from them?

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

Rot posted:

Going by their website, it seems like the Loka is available in Black and the Tilopa BC is available in all colours. That's in the US, whereas only the Tilopa BC is showing as in stock in Europe. I understand that they use these two different warehouses for different parts of the world, I think Europe handles Europe/UK and US handles the rest of the world.

Whereabouts are you located? I'm in Australia and haven't really had any issues getting stock from them. My first interaction with them was a nightmare (some of which was my fault), but they were champions about it and really went the extra mile to rectify the problem. International calls can be a pain depending on where you live, but it might be worth the effort; they're super helpful.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Danoss posted:

Going by their website, it seems like the Loka is available in Black and the Tilopa BC is available in all colours. That's in the US, whereas only the Tilopa BC is showing as in stock in Europe. I understand that they use these two different warehouses for different parts of the world, I think Europe handles Europe/UK and US handles the rest of the world.

Whereabouts are you located? I'm in Australia and haven't really had any issues getting stock from them. My first interaction with them was a nightmare (some of which was my fault), but they were champions about it and really went the extra mile to rectify the problem. International calls can be a pain depending on where you live, but it might be worth the effort; they're super helpful.

I'm in Canada, and I deal with the US warehouse.

Honestly, I haven't tried super hard to get a bag. And they're expensive enough that I can't just jump at buying one whenever (especially now that the CDN$ is in the shitter). What's happened, twice last year, was that I see the bag + ICU in stock and I place my order through Paypal. Then I get an email saying that they're sorry, the bag is actually backordered but if I wait they'll get one to me. 30 days later, the pending Paypal transaction expires and I get another email asking if I want to try again. But by this time I've already figured out something else.

Come to think about it there was a third time that didn't work out but that was due to some error in their online store so I can't hold that against them.

Since then, I've bought a couple ICUs from them with no trouble. F-Stop makes a great product and they're very easy to deal with. The next time I decide to try another photo-specific outdoorsy pack, they will be what I buy.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

caberham posted:

Somehow, I have an irrational dislike of Lowepro bags and users. Same goes for Manfrotto and Think-tank. I don't know why :ohdear:

https://vimeo.com/54027710

Looks pretty awesome, I like how they aren't padded too much so they don't get too bulky.

I got a Lowepro Urban Reporter 250 and it's decent enough. It's way more bulky than I thought it would be, but it let's me carry everything I need for school. When I go out with just the intent to shoot I just use a small messenger bag for an extra lens, and carry the camera around my neck.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Just looked at the Urban reporter, I do like it's innards. The different zippers and sub pouches look really clean. Much better than the older crumplers. Now if only I can change the logo into something else!

Arrgytehpirate posted:

carry the camera around my neck.

Shoulder man, shoulder!

caberham fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 11, 2015

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I have had a Tilopa BC with large ICU since 2010 and it has been really solid. Compared to a proper hiking bag they are not as good but for a camera bag they are pretty good. Having the access on your back has pros and cons but all bags will. Given that it is about 5 years old at this point it is in remarkably good shape since it has been out in less than ideal conditions on 3 continents now. I did initially have troubles getting the bag due to stock issues (actually was going to order the larger bag but ended up with the Tilopa BC as it was in stock), I am happy with it for the most part. I just lent it to a co-worker to check out for a day or 2 as he is looking to order one.

If anyone has any specific questions about it let me know.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

caberham posted:

Just looked at the Urban reporter, I do like it's innards. The different zippers and sub pouches look really clean. Much better than the older crumplers. Now if only I can change the logo into something else!

Shoulder man, shoulder!

The stitching is pretty thick. I imagine if you have skill with that kind of thing it'd be easy to remove. I can't say for certain though. I plan to put some kind of iron on patch over mine.

Also, how do you get the camera to stay on your shoulder? I use the strap that came with my camera (T5i) and it constantly feels like it's slipping off.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Arrgytehpirate posted:

The stitching is pretty thick. I imagine if you have skill with that kind of thing it'd be easy to remove. I can't say for certain though. I plan to put some kind of iron on patch over mine.

Also, how do you get the camera to stay on your shoulder? I use the strap that came with my camera (T5i) and it constantly feels like it's slipping off.

across your body if you can. If your strap can't do it then you can get one with a spongy/sticky/rubbery surface, or get a Blackrapid.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Dread Head posted:

If anyone has any specific questions about [F-Stop bags] let me know.

Ok, I'm going to bombard you with questions:

The powers of profile snooping tell me you're on Van Isle. So we'll have climate in common and you'll understand when I ask: how's the weather proofing/resistance?

You said that the Tilopa isn't as good as a dedicated hiking bag, can you sorta of quantify that in terms of price point? IE - is it as good as say, a mid-range MEC bag? Falls just short of of more boutique brands like Mystery Ranch or Arc'teryx? Personally I consider brands like Dakine as the lowest end I'd consider for outdoorsy poo poo, where Osprey and The North Face occupy a middle ground.

Do you ski or snowboard?

If ski, how's the carry system? How does the material handle edges of skis/snowboards and tools?

Internet Friend (followed on FB, read his websites....never met the guy in person) Dan Carr, who's a pro snowsports photographer, once wrote some pretty glowing reviews of the bags, but I'm always suspicious of that sorta pro-endorsed poo poo.

He's now endorsing those Mind-Shift bags which look kinda goofy and seriously heavy.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Rot posted:

Ok, I'm going to bombard you with questions:

The powers of profile snooping tell me you're on Van Isle. So we'll have climate in common and you'll understand when I ask: how's the weather proofing/resistance?

You said that the Tilopa isn't as good as a dedicated hiking bag, can you sorta of quantify that in terms of price point? IE - is it as good as say, a mid-range MEC bag? Falls just short of of more boutique brands like Mystery Ranch or Arc'teryx? Personally I consider brands like Dakine as the lowest end I'd consider for outdoorsy poo poo, where Osprey and The North Face occupy a middle ground.

Do you ski or snowboard?

If ski, how's the carry system? How does the material handle edges of skis/snowboards and tools?

Internet Friend (followed on FB, read his websites....never met the guy in person) Dan Carr, who's a pro snowsports photographer, once wrote some pretty glowing reviews of the bags, but I'm always suspicious of that sorta pro-endorsed poo poo.

He's now endorsing those Mind-Shift bags which look kinda goofy and seriously heavy.

Re hiking bag: compared to my osprey and arc'terex packs it is not as good if you just compare them directly as backpacks for hiking. A few reasons I think, fit is not perfect for me, opening on your back probably does not help, also since it is made to carry camera gear you are tempted to carry lots of gear. Hard to say what it would compare to as I think pack fit/comfort is kind of a personal thing. Compared to lowepro camera bags I had before it is much better. For hiking I find there is not much room in it for other gear due to size of ICU I use. Other problem in this regards is if you use a hydration bladder it is at the very back of your pack (furthest from your back) as in the last place you want more weight.

Weather proofing seems reasonable, if it is raining I will put on a rain cover, I would say it is close to an arc'trex bag but not as good. The nice thing is with the rain cover on you can still access the main camera area just fine which is super handy. The zippers all have rain flaps or are "weather proof" ones.

I do ski, only just got a back country setup this season and with our conditions I have not had a chance to really get out. I bought a cheap MEC ski bag that I am planning on using at this point, mostly due to the ICU I currently have I guess? A lot of the time when I am out hiking etc I use a chest mounted bag so I have quick access to my camera.

I know the guys who started f-stop are really into skiing/snowboarding so I would imagine they are decent, my bag has specific things to carry skis/ice axes etc. I can try throwing my skis on to see how it works, seems like it would be better than my dedicated ski bag from MEC when it comes to carrying skis.

It seems pretty light with nothing in it, I just lent it to a co-worker so I removed all my gear and was surprised at the weight (in a good way).

Given that it is nearly 5 years old now it has some wear but still in what I would consider good condition I have used it a lot and never have babied it really. I have considered getting a smaller ICU so it would be better for hiking or skiing etc but I just end up using a proper hiking backpack that I may throw a lens in and then the camera on my chest.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I can take some pictures at some point if you want.

Dread Head fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Feb 12, 2015

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Dread Head posted:

Let me know if you have any other questions, I can take some pictures at some point if you want.

That's all pretty much what I expected. There's going to be some compromises made between Carries Camera Stuff and Carrie Outdoorsy Stuff and nothing comes as a surprise. Good to know that at least the basics are done properly.

I had one of the new Lowepro "adventure" series bags and while it was alright, especially for the price-point, it just wasn't quite up to what I was asking of it. I think I sold it to a Dorkroomer...hope he's liking it.

I think pretty soon I'm going to spring for a Loka or Loka UL with one of the medium-small ICUs. When/If I do I'll try to post a full review here.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
How suitable is a Think Tank Urban Disguise 60 v2 for hiking if you add the shoulder harness and treat it as a backpack? I really want to be able to just flip open the top of the bag and pull out one of two cameras with a mounted lens (5D mk3 with 24-105, 40D/whatever mid size body will replace it when it dies with 100mm macro, possibly a loose 70-200/2.8) and be able to put in a laptop and some paperwork for when I'm not out hiking but still carry camera stuff.

I currently have a Fastpack 350 and I end up putting food in the camera compartment in the bottom and the camera in the top compartment so I can lift it out more easily.

e: in any case, it's also important to have at least a small compartment left for extra stuff since I'll need to stuff it full of tubes for sampling sometimes.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 24, 2015

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
Hey all, any suggestion for holders for lenses? I have a decent bag in that with the extra battery attachment fits in the small bag in the bag, but now I am struggling for a solution to hold my actual lenses inside the bag.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ryand-Smith posted:

Hey all, any suggestion for holders for lenses? I have a decent bag in that with the extra battery attachment fits in the small bag in the bag, but now I am struggling for a solution to hold my actual lenses inside the bag.

I... what? :confused: So do you have a small bag/pouch to hold just your camera (I assume with one lens attached) and need to carry more? Or are you talking like a sort of holster like this: http://store.lowepro.com/toploader-pro-75-aw-ii

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
Ah, I'm sorry I should have been more clear. I have a camera bag, with a bag inside of it (so there is a backpack, with a small container INSIDE the backpack, think a purselike/lunchbox like container which fits my DSLR, with the extended battery), but I have 2 lenses (well soon to be 3, I have a f/1.8 50mm, a 17-50mm, and a 70-300mm on the way), that I do not want well, moving in the backpack)

I uploaded an image from the phone to show what it looks like, you can see the pockets , the DSLR in the actual camera bag, but the space above it is where I would put the lenses.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Aaahhh OK. There are various bag inserts you can get that are normally for regular bags/backpacks that should be on the smaller end to hold just a couple lenses. Basically you're just buying the padding instead of the entire bag.

Here's an example

Damienz
Sep 4, 2012

I've been using a Lowepro Flipside 400 AW for longer trips and a Lowepro Hatchback 22L as my everyday-bag for a while now and been really satisfied with them. Recently though I bought a 13-inch ultrabook to edit photos during events etc and now I'm looking to replace my current bags with two that I also can fit a small laptop in.

Requirements:
Rain Cover
Tripod-holder
Space for a 13 inch laptop (MBA).
Extra space for maybe a sweater, notepads, pens etc.

Gear in everyday bag:
5D Mk2 (without grip) with attached 100/2.8 and one extra lens (50/24).

Gear in larger bag
5D Mk2 + battery grip and attached 70-200, 100/2.8, 24mm + 50mm and filters

The Lowepro Pro Runner 450 seems lika a good replacement for my Flipside but I had the smaller version (200) before and didn't find it comfortable at all.
Regarding the smaller one I can't really find a good fit. I love the Hatchback , the bag itself is really lightweight and the extra top-compartment is excellent.

Any suggestions?

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
Probably a long shot, but has anyone been able to directly compare the LowePro Photo Sport 200AW to the LowePro Photo Pro 30L?

I just sold my Tamrac Expedition 8x and need to replace it. The 8x was a great bag, but was too camera oriented and freaking huge. I have downsized to 3 lenses, 35mm, 10-20mm, and a 16-300mm. Those along with a d90 body with grip and an sb700 will be the max I would carry. This will be used for keeping my gear with me during flights, day hikes, and an overnight hike here and there. I like both bags, but fear the 200AW is a tad small and at the same time fear that the 30L will be massive like the 8x.

If anyone has any experience with either, I would love to hear it. I can't find any local shops that have them. REI had the photo sport 100, but that really doesn't give me a good idea what the other two are like.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Damienz posted:

I've been using a Lowepro Flipside 400 AW for longer trips and a Lowepro Hatchback 22L as my everyday-bag for a while now and been really satisfied with them. Recently though I bought a 13-inch ultrabook to edit photos during events etc and now I'm looking to replace my current bags with two that I also can fit a small laptop in.

Requirements:
Rain Cover
Tripod-holder
Space for a 13 inch laptop (MBA).
Extra space for maybe a sweater, notepads, pens etc.

Gear in everyday bag:
5D Mk2 (without grip) with attached 100/2.8 and one extra lens (50/24).

Gear in larger bag
5D Mk2 + battery grip and attached 70-200, 100/2.8, 24mm + 50mm and filters

The Lowepro Pro Runner 450 seems lika a good replacement for my Flipside but I had the smaller version (200) before and didn't find it comfortable at all.
Regarding the smaller one I can't really find a good fit. I love the Hatchback , the bag itself is really lightweight and the extra top-compartment is excellent.

Any suggestions?

What kind of bag do you want. Is your protity ease of access, ability to carry distance, not look like a camera nerd, . . . ?

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
ok, so I'm looking for a messenger bag for my a7r and 2-3 fast primes. The important criteria I can think of:
  • Good quality
  • Relatively discrete but not hideous, a dark colour preferably
  • Quick and reasonably secure access, but no velcro!
  • Carry handle
  • Minimal size/profile
  • Comfortable strap for carrying all day
  • Weather-proofing
  • (Optional) Secondary strap to stop it swinging around
Basically I'm looking for a Tenba DNA but I hate the velcro they use since it's so incredibly loud. There are a million messenger-style camera bags out there so I figure there has to be something. Suggestions, anyone?

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.

Jimlad posted:

ok, so I'm looking for a messenger bag for my a7r and 2-3 fast primes. The important criteria I can think of:
  • Good quality
  • Relatively discrete but not hideous, a dark colour preferably
  • Quick and reasonably secure access, but no velcro!
  • Carry handle
  • Minimal size/profile
  • Comfortable strap for carrying all day
  • Weather-proofing
  • (Optional) Secondary strap to stop it swinging around
Basically I'm looking for a Tenba DNA but I hate the velcro they use since it's so incredibly loud. There are a million messenger-style camera bags out there so I figure there has to be something. Suggestions, anyone?
Timbuk2 Informant? http://www.timbuk2.com/informant-dslr-camera-case-sling-bag/450.html?dwvar_450_size=5&dwvar_450_color=6023

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Think tank retrospective 7. Comes with Velcro silencers and a rain fly.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Google Butt posted:

Think tank retrospective 7. Comes with Velcro silencers and a rain fly.

I would not recommend the Retrospective series because if you disable the Velcro, there's nothing else to keep the flap closed. With a bag like the Crumpler 5 Million (which I use with an A7S plus 3 or 4 extra lenses), you can disable the Velcro and still have buckles.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

HPL posted:

I would not recommend the Retrospective series because if you disable the Velcro, there's nothing else to keep the flap closed. With a bag like the Crumpler 5 Million (which I use with an A7S plus 3 or 4 extra lenses), you can disable the Velcro and still have buckles.

What's nice about the velcro silencers is that they allow you to leave however much velcro exposed as you want. I'm using a small amount of the available velcro and it's perfect for me.

edit: Here's how much velco I have exposed right now

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Mar 7, 2015

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Google Butt posted:

edit: Here's how much velco I have exposed right now

Kids these days... Tuck in your velcro you hooligan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

HPL posted:

For normal carry, my Velcro is completely concealed and the flap is so large, it is never an issue. When traveling, car/plane, I expose a small bit on one side so if the bag turns over, nothing comes out. When the Velcro is covered, I've never had the flap expose the contents at all.

• Locked thread