Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
After taking a look at EVE in FNVEdit, I decided to not ever use it again. It makes so many sweeping changes to stuff so it needs compatibility patches with everything.

Generally it has been really stable, though. I'm not playing with EVE or WMX in TTW and everything has been smooth moves, baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Benny has some great dialouge.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Benny has some great dialouge.

He's also voiced by Chandler from Friends.

Benny is pretty great.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I don't think I can ever actually install TTW, I've got so many mods. Building a compatibility list would take longer than just installing and playing FO3. Trying it out would be an exciting event, that's for sure.

Gyshall posted:

After taking a look at EVE in FNVEdit, I decided to not ever use it again. It makes so many sweeping changes to stuff so it needs compatibility patches with everything.

It's a lot of work to integrate properly, but it's pretty cool when you do. Only ever worth it for an energy weapons character though, otherwise it's a huge commitment for nothing. I use it every other install, works well.

ThaumPenguin posted:

The same has happened to me, I always thought it was an ENB issue or something similar.

ENB breaks any fade to black and several other visual effect things that pop up rarely - it makes the game intro a little weird for example. "Known issue, won't get fixed" is what I understand.

Psion fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 23, 2015

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I just installed TTW over my default NV setup and everything works fine, the only thing close to a technical hitch is that some mods, such as signature armor/weapons and sprint mod only work after travelling to Vegas for the first time and going through Doc Mitchell's office. I guess because they are configured via inventory items that are only added after waking up in goodsprings.

My favourite side effect of this is that Real Smokes likes to stuff super mutant gore bags in DC full of different tobacco items.

Even custom radio stations like Existenz and CONELRAD work in DC once they're triggered. No radio new Vegas with secret stash over there though. :(

Davoren fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 23, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm just finishing my first TTW installation.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Did anyone ever properly add DR to all the armors in FO3 and its DLC to make TTW match with JSawyer? I took a stab at it once but didn't finish because hand tweaking and testing dozens of identical armors is incredibly boring. Playing with JSawyer and TTW, otherwise, makes the medium/heavy FONV armors totally imbalanced when you go back to the Capitol Wasteland.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Seashell Salesman posted:

Did anyone ever properly add DR to all the armors in FO3 and its DLC to make TTW match with JSawyer? I took a stab at it once but didn't finish because hand tweaking and testing dozens of identical armors is incredibly boring. Playing with JSawyer and TTW, otherwise, makes the medium/heavy FONV armors totally imbalanced when you go back to the Capitol Wasteland.

I haven't seen anything acceptable for Jsawyer conversions/extensions into the Capitol Wasteland but once I'm done getting my TTW setup "perfect" I'll most likely be extending Jsawyer and making sure of compatibility for the Reputation/Skill check TTW mods for Jsawyer as well, I'll post them here when that happens. Also Cirosan's Follower module because

Also level cap 50 because there be a ton of stuff to shoot.

Right now I'm working on installing the Marts Mutant Mod conversion for TTW, which has a MCM menu (Mod Configuration Menu menu???) :allears:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Oh Nexus

quote:

Version 1.5

Katie didn't follow the player after her first buttsex. This now doesn't happen anymore.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Gyshall posted:

I haven't seen anything acceptable for Jsawyer conversions/extensions into the Capitol Wasteland but once I'm done getting my TTW setup "perfect" I'll most likely be extending Jsawyer and making sure of compatibility for the Reputation/Skill check TTW mods for Jsawyer as well, I'll post them here when that happens. Also Cirosan's Follower module because

Also level cap 50 because there be a ton of stuff to shoot.

Right now I'm working on installing the Marts Mutant Mod conversion for TTW, which has a MCM menu (Mod Configuration Menu menu???) :allears:

You could just drastically lower XP gains.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Woolie Wool posted:

The problem with that is that TTW requires compatibility patches for many popular mods and those mods have further patches to deal with compatibility with other mods. It's why I never installed EVE on my copy of Fallout NV because I was never sure what the right install/load order for TTW + Project Nevada + EVE + patches was.

My copy of New Vegas occasionally has issues with lag/low FPS (sometimes dropping from 60 FPS to <10 fps briefly before going back up, sometimes lovely FPS in general). Disabling ENB using shift+F12 doesn't help much. Purge cell buffers helps sometimes. Project Nevada's headgear overlays and enhanced vision tend to make lag worse. Sometimes it will be associated with certain cells, like when I was getting completely unplayable FPS in Bitter Springs, fast traveled somewhere else and my FPS returned to normal. Is it save bloat (save file is currently 18 MB)? Too many mods (134 active, just under the 139 limit)? The game engine being an unmitigated disaster that Bethesda refuses to stop using?

I would keep to 100 mods or so. Look for combined mod projects. I think as you start to get decent amount over 100 the engine just bogs down. That said, I think everybody is too quick to blame the engine. Yeah, combat is kind of crappy (especially in Elder Scrolls), but that's on Bethesda and not on Gamebryo. Name another currently ongoing major game series where you can change the game pretty much completely. I can't really come up with much. Mods (and Open World) make Bethesda games and they are really the only ones on the market with that. Bioware took a big 180 and headed in completely different direction past ME1 and DAO and nobody else is offering anything even close.

I would rather have buggy Gamebryo and Bethesda combat for Fallout/Elder Scrolls vs a game with EA's Dice or modern Crytek where you can't change jack poo poo.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

You could just drastically lower XP gains.

One of the optional files for TTW makes it cost more and more to level up the higher you get.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Personally I always drastically lower XP gains. Otherwise the game would be waaaay too easy. I remember in vanilla Fallout 3 I hit level cap in a few hours, just wandering from map marker to map marker.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Personally I always drastically lower XP gains. Otherwise the game would be waaaay too easy. I remember in vanilla Fallout 3 I hit level cap in a few hours, just wandering from map marker to map marker.

No way in a few hours.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
It was only 20 :shrug:

At that point I put the game down and waited for difficulty mods.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I'd love to see what the bug reports were for this one.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe

oblomov posted:

Try to uninstall MCM, reinstall it (copy bugfix over) and overwrite anything if it prompts you to (assuming you are using FOMM or equivalent). Also check load order, I'd put MCM lower maybe then PJ Nevada so it overwrites?

Did all this and still not working. I'm really confused about what could be going wrong here. Is there some sort of compatibility patch I'm missing? I'm using Mod Organizer, could that be the problem?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Missing Name posted:

I'd love to see what the bug reports were for this one.

The pictures for that mod are like a parody of bad sex mods. This has it all-- terrible dialogue, a friendly notification in the top left telling you "You've passed STD disease to your partner", an ugly dead eyed 3d model, and a +XP message for having The Sex.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
Does anyone know of a mod that will randomly place all kinds of loot everywhere?

Like I installed some mod (More perks I think) that gave me a perk to the effect of "You'll find special things at certain times of day" and since I took it I've picked up things like the Sonic Emitter out of a desk in Dead Money and Lesko's lab coat from Fallout 3 (?!) somewhere in the Mojave.

I just like weird random poo poo like that happening as I fart around the game.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

I found a fun bug with Nevada Skies and TTW today, it makes the Citadel Courtyard not exist, just a barren hill in a blank void.

Also my pause screen bugged out pretty bad today, all the options are greyed out so I cant adjust options and have to save through the console. MCM still works for some reason though.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

The pictures for that mod are like a parody of bad sex mods. This has it all-- terrible dialogue, a friendly notification in the top left telling you "You've passed STD disease to your partner", an ugly dead eyed 3d model, and a +XP message for having The Sex.

It's made by a German, so maybe after Katie gets 5 trust points you can poo poo on her chest.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

PEASED AND CARROTS :unsmigghh:

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006

I Am A Robot posted:

Also, Fear and Loathing looks great and so far I have no complaints except for a single bug I'm trying to track down. Certain weapons don't fire projectiles (and therefore do no damage). I've narrowed down the culprit to one of the mods in the bashed patch but if anyone has run into this with a mod before you could save me some debugging time.

Fixed this but now I'm running into a weird issue where NPCs will (seemingly randomly) decide not to equip their weapon and either run up to me looking angry and then do nothing or just run away. Loading right before I attack them and doing things slightly differently will "fix" this for a given NPC. Also this seemingly only effects ranged weapons. Melee equipped NPCs will attack normally.

Anyone run into this before? Or any ideas what mods are likely culprits that I can try disabling? Failing that a likely category of changes that I can look for in FNVEdit would help too (e.g. Non-Player Character, FormID List, Script or Weapon). I figure this is either a high level bug due to modifications to actor AI or a low level one due to modifications to a whole bunch of individual weapons (or both?).

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

I'm trying to 100% New Vegas Bounties II right now and two things are really bugging me. First one is the stolen Legion gold now I spoiled my self a bit on this quest and found out I needed to complete some particular bounties and finish the The Inheritance epilogue quest about the orphanage and let the bad guy go free but now I'm paranoid that I did some tiny thing wrong because the quest hasn't started. Anyone have luck with getting that quest to happen? I've done every bounty in NVB II by now, and this one quest called 'Enemy of my Enemy' is the only thing remaining.

The second thing is the "evolving" dungeons. A couple of these were quite cool, my favorite was the fiends in St. Peter's after you kill Zimmer. In that particular one you find a note addressed to someone called 'Garth'. Garth is the intended recipient of a bunch of notes you find in NVB II, so I feel like there must be more "evolving" dungeon content that leads to a showdown with him. I have, so far, scoured every area added in NVB, NVB II, and The Inheritance trying to find another fiend note or named fiend, or anything. No luck. Anyone know if I'm on a wild goose chase?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

I'm trying to 100% New Vegas Bounties II right now and two things are really bugging me. First one is the stolen Legion gold now I spoiled my self a bit on this quest and found out I needed to complete some particular bounties and finish the The Inheritance epilogue quest about the orphanage and let the bad guy go free but now I'm paranoid that I did some tiny thing wrong because the quest hasn't started. Anyone have luck with getting that quest to happen? I've done every bounty in NVB II by now, and this one quest called 'Enemy of my Enemy' is the only thing remaining.

Don't know about the second one, but the legion gold isn't a quest. You find a clue about it during one of the bounties, the one where you enter a building near the deathclaw cave, and then you can go find it. it's in a chest underneath that one floating place in the lake. can't remember the name of it.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Roobanguy posted:

Don't know about the second one, but the legion gold isn't a quest. You find a clue about it during one of the bounties, the one where you enter a building near the deathclaw cave, and then you can go find it. it's in a chest underneath that one floating place in the lake. can't remember the name of it.

Okay now I'm mega-confused. I thought based on the clue you get while killing that one small bounty that it was hidden under the pontoon in lake mead but then never found it (this was when I played it last year some time). Then on this playthrough, when I found the key to Fisk's safe in Sergio's house, and then the Rusty key inside the safe I decided to just look up what it opened, and saw a post from someguy where he said it was a quest called 'Enemy of My Enemy', and gave roughly the instructions I posted. Are these two different things? The same thing? Maybe you're right but there is also another quest I'm missing?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Okay now I'm mega-confused. I thought based on the clue you get while killing that one small bounty that it was hidden under the pontoon in lake mead but then never found it (this was when I played it last year some time). Then on this playthrough, when I found the key to Fisk's safe in Sergio's house, and then the Rusty key inside the safe I decided to just look up what it opened, and saw a post from someguy where he said it was a quest called 'Enemy of My Enemy', and gave roughly the instructions I posted. Are these two different things? The same thing? Maybe you're right but there is also another quest I'm missing?

Once you get the key you are able to open the chest. The enemy of my enemy might be afterwards, where the legion visits you trying to get the gold back but its been a while.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Roobanguy posted:

Once you get the key you are able to open the chest. The enemy of my enemy might be afterwards, where the legion visits you trying to get the gold back but its been a while.
I found all the gold. I hope finding that kicks the quest off now. I don't want to replay the someguy series again until NVB III is out, so I'm making sure I do every little bit before I blast through the dam and dunk on Legate Gimpius for the 100th time. Thanks for settling that one!

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

The bottom half of this page makes it look like my screen is malfunctioning, Jesus. So many black bars.

I appreciate them, though. Haven't gotten to Bounties II yet.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

oblomov posted:

I would keep to 100 mods or so. Look for combined mod projects. I think as you start to get decent amount over 100 the engine just bogs down. That said, I think everybody is too quick to blame the engine. Yeah, combat is kind of crappy (especially in Elder Scrolls), but that's on Bethesda and not on Gamebryo. Name another currently ongoing major game series where you can change the game pretty much completely. I can't really come up with much. Mods (and Open World) make Bethesda games and they are really the only ones on the market with that. Bioware took a big 180 and headed in completely different direction past ME1 and DAO and nobody else is offering anything even close.

I would rather have buggy Gamebryo and Bethesda combat for Fallout/Elder Scrolls vs a game with EA's Dice or modern Crytek where you can't change jack poo poo.

Well the thing about Bethesda games is that they're buggy, badly optimized, and technically unsound even without mods, and Obsidian of course have their own issues with busted-rear end games on top of Bethesda's in the case of New Vegas. Also Skyrim can go right up to the 255 package hard limit if the mods are all compatible with one another, so that was Obsidian breaking a part of the engine that actually worked and deciding not to fix it.

It's a notoriously unstable engine, used by a maker of notoriously unstable games, loaned out to another company known for games that are brilliant designs and technical catastrophes, and neither Bethesda nor Obsidian seem particularly willing to improve their games or engines on the technical side, so I'm not about to forgive them for things Bethesda and Obsidian should have done something about in the days of KOTOR 2 and Morrowind but chose not to.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 25, 2015

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Incredibly unrealistic expectations in software ITT.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

OSheaman posted:

Did all this and still not working. I'm really confused about what could be going wrong here. Is there some sort of compatibility patch I'm missing? I'm using Mod Organizer, could that be the problem?

Shouldn't be a problem by itself I would think but I have never used it so...

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Oh god, I shouldn't have clicked the link to uncanny valley femdoll land :gonk:

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
Gamebryo isn't even really at fault. It's more of a graphical front end that Bethesda bought the source code to and forked off for their own purposes. The logic engine behind it is what everyone has an issue with over the games and it's what really didn't change much with Skyrim aside from a new scripting language and other minor improvements. Even the updates they did to the graphical side of things for Skyrim isn't half as impressive as the current non-Bethesda forked version of Gamebryo is capable of doing. Honestly, all of the tech programmers working for Bethesda are just incompetent and/or lazy. Same goes for their animation department. And art department. And writing. Okay, so the whole damned company is incompetent and lazy. How their games are so massively successful all these years must absolutely infuriate better studios with better and more technically sound games and game engines that don't do as well. There's a kind of sick injustice in the whole thing, really.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Missing Name posted:

Oh god, I shouldn't have clicked the link to uncanny valley femdoll land :gonk:

Tell me more.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Woolie Wool posted:

Also Skyrim can go right up to the 255 package hard limit if the mods are all compatible with one another, so that was Obsidian breaking a part of the engine that actually worked and deciding not to fix it.

Wait, I'm confused by this...Skyrim isn't on the same engine as FO3 or New Vegas, and FO3 (and even Oblivion before it) have issues reaching the 255 package hard limit, too, so how did Obsidian break something if it was already broken but it's working in a game that isn't even technically the same engine? I feel like you meant to say something else here.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Could have fooled me, Skyrim felt distinctly gamebryo to me.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Could have fooled me, Skyrim felt distinctly gamebryo to me.

I mean, it's my understanding that the Creation engine is built on Gamebryo and that there is a ton of Gamebryo poo poo left in the Creation engine, but the fact that they aren't the same thing seems to make a comparison between New Vegas and Skyrim unfair or disingenuous, especially when you're talking about problems that were present on an engine/in games that came out long before New Vegas.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Wait, I'm confused by this...Skyrim isn't on the same engine as FO3 or New Vegas, and FO3 (and even Oblivion before it) have issues reaching the 255 package hard limit, too, so how did Obsidian break something if it was already broken but it's working in a game that isn't even technically the same engine? I feel like you meant to say something else here.

IIRC the 139 package limit was caused by a bug introduced into NV, and was never fixed. Much of the array used for the load list is either unused or used for another function so FalloutNV.esm is loaded at memory index 74, so exceeding 139 mods causes an overflow (hitting FF or even spilling over onto the next byte) and thus undefined behavior. Some more googling indicates this appears to a quirk unique to NV and is not shared with other Bethesda engine games.

Especially frustrating because TTW has numerous modules and requires a profusion of patches and patches of patches to make sweeping NV mods like Project Nevada interface with TTW, eating up valuable load order entries.

It takes my game multiple minutes to load a save, would it be worth playing Dead Money after finishing Old World Blues, or should I just watch a Let's Play and then proceed straight to Lonesome Road? I understand playing Dead Money involves lots of sudden deaths.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Feb 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

I found all the gold. I hope finding that kicks the quest off now. I don't want to replay the someguy series again until NVB III is out, so I'm making sure I do every little bit before I blast through the dam and dunk on Legate Gimpius for the 100th time. Thanks for settling that one!

God drat it. I just now made a final check on the Boulder City Jail on my way to the dam to finish the game and one of the guys gives me a letter starting the Enemy of My Enemy' quest. So now I have no idea whether it was because I found the gold or completed the orphanage quest or both.