Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Mimetic posted:

Without knowing the context of the joke, it's hard to say. As something strange in the gifs or an easter egg or something it's great. In the regular game, maybe not so much. Both being able to hurt babies or having invincible god-mode babies wandering around sound like bad ideas to me.
Yeah, if it weren't for the potential of a gif showing up on reddit or something totally out of context we would put the baby in there without a second thought, but having stompable babies is just asking for trouble...

Who What Now posted:

That this didn't result in a horrid chicken-man disappoints me. :colbert:
That would make for a really inconvenient teleporter! but oh god I want to do it someday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
A fairly rare\difficult to find easter egg that involves a baby somehow would be entertaining but yeah having stompable babies as a thing that spawns is asking for trouble and to be honest doesn't really add anything to the game.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I both own and enjoy this game and would like no babies in it, please. Call me a killjoy.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Neruz posted:

A fairly rare\difficult to find easter egg that involves a baby somehow would be entertaining but yeah having stompable babies as a thing that spawns is asking for trouble and to be honest doesn't really add anything to the game.

We were considering putting them in a nursery in the colony ship, but then it occurred to us that no matter how much we lock them away someone will figure out a way to get to them and record a gif of them kicking a baby and then all of a sudden we're the assholes for encouraging baby abuse. Maybe we can reskin them as a creepy creature or something :v:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Make them Hitler and Other Vile Historical Figure Babies?
That sounds like a lot of effort to justify baby stomping though.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Lucid Dream posted:

We were considering putting them in a nursery in the colony ship, but then it occurred to us that no matter how much we lock them away someone will figure out a way to get to them and record a gif of them kicking a baby and then all of a sudden we're the assholes for encouraging baby abuse. Maybe we can reskin them as a creepy creature or something :v:

Just make it where any aggressive action taken against the baby turns it into a drooling angry screaming poo poo monster.

Hrm..

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Make them the babies from Deadspace 2? I dunno. :effort:

The teleporter is neat though.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Hurting a baby gives you a "what have I done" debuff. You refuse to eat or heal and gradually waste away.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Solid Poopsnake posted:

I both own and enjoy this game and would like no babies in it, please. Call me a killjoy.

This is the correct answer, as funny/quirky as it may be otherwise. Just don't stoop to it. Let weirdos modders edit it in at a later date or something.

e: teleporter looks cool.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
Working on a sweet turret:

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Lucid Dream posted:

First related mod should be a UI mod:

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
Flare arrow:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Lucid Dream posted:

Flare arrow:

A flarrow!

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Lucid Dream posted:

Flare arrow:

Flarrow

edit: gently caress

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Magmarashi posted:

Flarrow

edit: gently caress

Everywhere I post the gif people say that. I think we'll just have to name it that.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I see you have sticky taped an arrow head to a sparkler.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Neruz posted:

I see you have sticky taped an arrow head to a sparkler.

I like this description way more.

Been having a blast picking up the achievements (seriously I felt dumb when I finally found the jugs...). The replay so far is pretty enjoyable.

I've noticed odd behavior with stairs. When I place them so they're oriented to the left (from bottom right to top left) the character model sort of glitches or bounces walking up/down them. It doesn't do it when I place them in the default orientation. Ill see about posting a gif later when I'm not on my phone.

Also the gaps between some of the blocks (mud building materials) trigger ocd levels of annoyance. I find, that I tend to stay away from blocks like that. They just look odd.

The ore pacing seems pretty balanced until you get to steel. But, we've talked about that already, so I won't best a horse.

I'm also discovering how useful the picks double as weapons against some of the lower denizens. That's pretty :black101:

One last observation for now. It seems really busy when the map is opened (the overlay, not the new addition). It's kind of cool because I feel like the character model is looking at a little 3D hologram above their wrist, but gameplay wise it makes the center of the screen really busy. Especially when you're charting the map at the same time.

Loving all the small things you've been adding in, and I can't wait to test out the boomstick. Oh and just 5 more achievements to get.

Arkitektbmw fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Feb 25, 2015

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Arkitektbmw posted:

I like this description way more.
I made the sprite look like a sparkler :V

Arkitektbmw posted:

I've noticed odd behavior with stairs. When I place them so they're oriented to the left (from bottom right to top left) the character model sort of glitches or bounces walking up/down them. It doesn't do it when I place them in the default orientation. Ill see about posting a gif later when I'm not on my phone.
Hmm, are you noticing it with stairs specifically or the other angled blocks? I just tested it on my end and it seems to work fine, but I know there is an issue with the angled blocks where you can flip them and then rotate them and then you get that sort of behavior, whereas the stairs only let you flip them so they shouldn't run into that issue.

Arkitektbmw posted:

Also the gaps between some of the blocks (mud building materials) trigger ocd levels of annoyance. I find, that I tend to stay away from blocks like that. They just look odd.
You're talking about the rounded corners leaving holes, right? I'm aware of that but haven't figured out the right way to hanld

Arkitektbmw posted:

The ore pacing seems pretty balanced until you get to steel. But, we've talked about that already, so I won't best a horse.
I don't really remember the specific issue, is the anthracite too rare? Its supposed to have more common pockets that have fewer ore in each pocket, but I can easily increase the density/pocket size though if you think its too rare.

Arkitektbmw posted:

I'm also discovering how useful the picks double as weapons against some of the lower denizens. That's pretty :black101:
Haha yeah, it made sense to do that considering one of the armored creatures is a rock monster anyway...

Arkitektbmw posted:

One last observation for now. It seems really busy when the map is opened (the overlay, not the new addition). It's kind of cool because I feel like the character model is looking at a little 3D hologram above their wrist, but gameplay wise it makes the center of the screen really busy. Especially when you're charting the map at the same time.
Yeah, I can see that, I'm not sure what we can do about it though. I'll give it some thought.

Also, we put out a beta update today with some of the new stuff we've been working on, here are the details.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
Pushed the beta update to everyone on Steam, here are the patch notes:

New Content
  • Added the teleporter project! Build two, set them to the same symbol and instantly transport yourself (and anything inside the teleporter) across the world.

• Added a deployable turret! It loads 9mm ammo and must be retracted to pick it up. Prevents mob spawning nearby.

• Added flare arrows (Flarrow!)

• Added Bone Arrows

New Recipes
  • Steel turret - 1x Microchip, 1x Steel Machine Parts, 1x Steel Gun Parts, 1x Large Battery, 1x D6 Polymer (Requires Material Printer)
  • Flare arrows - 1x Aluminum Ingot, 1x Bauxite Ore, 1x Iron Ore (Makes 3)
  • Bone arrows - 1x Bone, 5x Sticks, 5x Feathers (Makes 5)
  • Power Core - 3x Large Battery, 3x Steel Ingots, 3x Plastic, 1x Refined Rose Quartz (Requires Material Printer)

UI Changes
  • Added cursor icons when hovering over things. Let us know if you notice things that we missed that you think should have cursors.

• Fixed some issues with the medium and large fonts.

Gameplay Changes
  • Added reload animation to grenade launchers.
  • Reduced regeneration salve effect by half, it was pretty overpowered considering you could use 2 and combine it with the health regen from being well fed.
  • Doubled energy regen per step of kinetic inductor

Bug Fixes
  • Changed saving method for player inventory, should be backwards compatible but let us know if you notice any missing items or anything like that.
  • Disabled connection to local server by default, may cause issues so let us know if you have problems dropping items, things not working as expected, etc. This should fix the issue for people who were having problems dropping items.
  • Changing font with a dialogue box open will now properly resize the dialogue box.
  • Changed static lighting system (torches, etc) to hopefully be a bit more optimized. Should result in fewer hitches with lots of static lights, let us know if you see a reduction in performance.
  • Kinetic inductors now properly stop working when unequipped

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

I just noticed, but are the sentries supposed to be silent? The two i have are deathly silent, and it's somewhat unnerving smelting ore to the soundtrack of mob death.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Mephiston posted:

I just noticed, but are the sentries supposed to be silent? The two i have are deathly silent, and it's somewhat unnerving smelting ore to the soundtrack of mob death.

Ah, nope, I probably forgot to put a sound effect on them.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Lucid Dream posted:

Ah, nope, I probably forgot to put a sound effect on them.

Alright cheers, I was wondering what was up.

Also, I'm not sure what you could do about this, but I find that from time to time other containers get grabby when I'm moving items around between containers.

For example, sometimes when I'm loading ore into a smelter, the ore will seemingly disappear, only to have been dropped on the floor, or dropped into another bag or something.

It's not a major thing, but it can be a bit confusing when it happens.

Finally, I noticed that the item count box that pops up above the food fill bar doesnt display anything when cycling through seeds. Don't know if this is intentional, but it's an observation.

edit: New mouseover icons are great.

Mephiston fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Mar 2, 2015

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Mephiston posted:

Also, I'm not sure what you could do about this, but I find that from time to time other containers get grabby when I'm moving items around between containers.

For example, sometimes when I'm loading ore into a smelter, the ore will seemingly disappear, only to have been dropped on the floor, or dropped into another bag or something.

It's not a major thing, but it can be a bit confusing when it happens.
Hmm, I haven't noticed that happening myself but I'll keep an eye out for it. If you happen to notice a reliable way to cause it definitely let me know.

Mephiston posted:

Finally, I noticed that the item count box that pops up above the food fill bar doesnt display anything when cycling through seeds. Don't know if this is intentional, but it's an observation.
Ah yeah, you're right. I fixed it for the next update.

Mephiston posted:

edit: New mouseover icons are great.
Thanks =)

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
Working on a material grinder that'll take some of the base materials (stone, granite, etc) and will crap out trace metals:

Lucid Dream fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 11, 2015

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I don't own the game yet but I just wanna say there's something really satisfying about the spritework in the gifs and stuff I've seen.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Lucid Dream posted:

Working on a material grinder that'll take some of the base materials (stone, granite, etc) and will crap out trace metals:

This owns. Although, can you have it so that it works like salvage kits too? It seems a bit daft to have to salvage kit items when you have a permanent version of it in your base.

Maybe have it unlock via upgrade or something, if people don't want that functionality?

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Mephiston posted:

This owns. Although, can you have it so that it works like salvage kits too? It seems a bit daft to have to salvage kit items when you have a permanent version of it in your base.

Maybe have it unlock via upgrade or something, if people don't want that functionality?

Hmm, possibly. I feel like the grinder is more of a brute force thing while the salvage tool is more of a collection of tools used to more carefully take something apart, but they do definitely share some the idea of breaking something down into bits. I'll give it some thought.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Well you'd probably use them for different things; there's not much point 'salvaging' a lump of granite and at the same time why would you throw a machine into a grinder when you can just take the machine apart and re-use the parts.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Neruz posted:

Well you'd probably use them for different things; there's not much point 'salvaging' a lump of granite and at the same time why would you throw a machine into a grinder when you can just take the machine apart and re-use the parts.

it just doesnt make any sense!!!!!!!!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I waiting for MP, but I think I'm going to try this game out now. Any first time tips?

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Turtlicious posted:

I waiting for MP, but I think I'm going to try this game out now. Any first time tips?

You can suck up items with the middle mouse button and you break deposits with a pick.

Edit: We're still chugging away on the intro/tutorial, so after you give it a go let us know what you find confusing/unintuitive and we'll try to work it into the tutorial somewhere.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Lucid Dream posted:

Forget that. Is that a Jayne hat?!

I already have a copy, but I have a tiny baby monitor (1280x1024 or whatever the square size is) hooked up to my pc and bad vision, so I put it on the side until I could actually see what was going on .... With all the extra work I definitely am going to revisit it again. Definitely worth it so far.

Verdugo fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 12, 2015

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lucid Dream posted:

You can suck up items with the middle mouse button and you break deposits with a pick.

Edit: We're still chugging away on the intro/tutorial, so after you give it a go let us know what you find confusing/unintuitive and we'll try to work it into the tutorial somewhere.

There was a bit of an info dump at the very beginning, and because I'm on a 1600 x 900 monitor, the text seemed a bit small and a pain to click through, so I may have lost imprtant info just by being impatient, making all of the text larger for bigger monitors, (A GUI toggle like minecraft,) would help mitigate this a lot.

My little computer dude is telling me that he can craft new things, but I'm not really sure how or which recipes are new, the tiny text isn't helping. I didn't know you could right click things to open / interact with them, and I was under the impression you had to open the weapon rack so it took me a second to use the grab beam to get it off of their. I see a computer in the basement that says keycard access, but nothing happens when I right click it, I had assumed it would give me access to open the doors.

A symbol that pops up when I hove over interactable things (like just a highlight of the right click on a mouse,) would help. Also mining is painfully slow right now, but it's the beginning so I'm assuming it's supposed to be that way, I haven't explored a ton so I'm hoping there will be caves into the earth.

Projects are stuff I place in the world to build more stuff right? That much was pretty self explanatory.

E: 45 minutes in I just found out that right and left click do different things with weapons, and I'm still not %100 what dictates what items go where on my bar and why, though I love I can scroll through it. I'll keep a log of what I find out in the thread, and how it effects my gameplay and ideas. When I play later tomorrow, my current plan is to find a cave and explore for materials, and mine a better entrance into the lab since that's where I respawn.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 12, 2015

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Turtlicious posted:

making all of the text larger for bigger monitors, (A GUI toggle like minecraft,) would help mitigate this a lot.
You can change the font size in the settings menu

Turtlicious posted:

My little computer dude is telling me that he can craft new things, but I'm not really sure how or which recipes are new, the tiny text isn't helping.
The crafting menu should show a blinking icon in categories that have new recipes, but we may need to make that a bit more obvious. New recipes will show as yellow (I think) in the crafting menu as well.

Turtlicious posted:

I didn't know you could right click things to open / interact with them, and I was under the impression you had to open the weapon rack so it took me a second to use the grab beam to get it off of their.
Ok that makes sense. We're definitely going to have a thing right at the beginning of the tutorial that forces you to open a chest and take some clothes out.

Turtlicious posted:

I see a computer in the basement that says keycard access, but nothing happens when I right click it, I had assumed it would give me access to open the doors.
You have to find the keycard in the other base first, but that'll be something that is less confusing once the tutorial is in because you'll get the keycard as part of that instead.

Turtlicious posted:

A symbol that pops up when I hove over interactable things (like just a highlight of the right click on a mouse,) would help.
It should do that, but we just added it in the last update so its entirely possible that we didn't add the hover cursor to some things, let us know if you notice things that should have them and don't.

Turtlicious posted:

Also mining is painfully slow right now, but it's the beginning so I'm assuming it's supposed to be that way, I haven't explored a ton so I'm hoping there will be caves into the earth.
Mining speed can be increased by getting a better lens or by putting a ruby in your MEG tool, which lets you dig multiple blocks at once. I'm not opposed to speeding up the base mining speed if it needs it, so once you get some of the upgrades let me know how you feel about it. I definitely want it to be slow enough that you want to upgrade it, but I don't want it to be painfully slow even at the beginning.

Turtlicious posted:

Projects are stuff I place in the world to build more stuff right? That much was pretty self explanatory.
Projects are basically just things that are stuck to the block grid rather than items that you can drop anywhere. We mostly just use it for stuff that would be way too big to hold in your pack or need more complex interactions like the respawner.

Turtlicious posted:

E: 45 minutes in I just found out that right and left click do different things with weapons,
Ah yeah, we should probably explain that.

Turtlicious posted:

and I'm still not %100 what dictates what items go where on my bar and why, though I love I can scroll through it.
Each slot has a category, you can tell what the category is by clicking on one of the items in the slots with the inventory menu open and looking at the top right of the item details. We probably should do something more to explain what each category is, I'll have to give that some thought.

Turtlicious posted:

I'll keep a log of what I find out in the thread, and how it effects my gameplay and ideas.
Ok cool, thanks =)

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
Here is a rehabilitation screen for relaxation during the times when space just gets too dark and depressing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SwLe3na5JM

Lucid Dream fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 13, 2015

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Lucid Dream posted:

Mining speed can be increased by getting a better lens or by putting a ruby in your MEG tool, which lets you dig multiple blocks at once. I'm not opposed to speeding up the base mining speed if it needs it, so once you get some of the upgrades let me know how you feel about it. I definitely want it to be slow enough that you want to upgrade it, but I don't want it to be painfully slow even at the beginning.

Would it at all be feasible to have an alternative upgrade to ruby, that instead of allowing you to tag and mine multiple blocks at once it allows you to cover a wider area grid (e.g. 2x2, 3x3) all at once? I've found that in the process of flattening an area to build structures, or navigating those sliver caverns that are slightly too small, having a larger area to take chunks out of the landscape at once would be preferable to taking out multiple individual blocks.

Don't get me wrong, current functionality of the MEG tool is great, just wondering if there is at all a chance of an optional switch or addon to the MEG tool that can toggle functionality between the 'line' tool and a 'chunk' tool.

Also drat is that a gravity lift over on the right of that video?

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Mephiston posted:

Would it at all be feasible to have an alternative upgrade to ruby, that instead of allowing you to tag and mine multiple blocks at once it allows you to cover a wider area grid (e.g. 2x2, 3x3) all at once? I've found that in the process of flattening an area to build structures, or navigating those sliver caverns that are slightly too small, having a larger area to take chunks out of the landscape at once would be preferable to taking out multiple individual blocks.

Don't get me wrong, current functionality of the MEG tool is great, just wondering if there is at all a chance of an optional switch or addon to the MEG tool that can toggle functionality between the 'line' tool and a 'chunk' tool.
I've tried it, but it didn't work very well. 3x3 or a cross pattern might work because they could center, but anything with an even number of blocks in height or width feels weird.

Mephiston posted:

Also drat is that a gravity lift over on the right of that video?
Yeah

Lucid Dream fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 13, 2015

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
I added support for naming containers for maximum convenience!

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
Also I made it so you can rename weapons and armor because why not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I mined up the stuff for a basic smelter, but I don't know how to load it, and I don't know how to smelt things.

E: Does the happy face do anything? I click on it and it seems to do nothing which sucks, because I would have loved to been able to click on the face, then the pocket baker, and get a short tutrial and how the pocket baker works.

E2: missed the "Must place in world to use" line at the end.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 14, 2015

• Locked thread