Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

What's the actual list of units and commanders? National spells?

I haven't done any real spells yet (maybe the bunker could be E2 or something?) but the units are: a militia spearman, militia rifleman, regular rifleman, regular rifleman with a +1 morale standard, stealthy marksman with MM3 and forest survival, cap only sacred rifleman, and a machinegun

I've not really balanced it yet, what do you think the resource costs should be?

Vanilla crossbow is
3 res
11 damage
2 att
35 range
1/2 fire rate

Vanilla arbalast is
4 res
15 damage
1 att
45 range
1/3 fire rate

Based on those I figured these would be reasonable

Pistol
4 res
10 damage
1 att
25 range
1 fire rate

Rifle
8 res
14 damage
3 att
30 range
1 fire rate

Machinegun
40 res (seems to be doubled to 80 because the MG team is size 4)
10 damage
0 att
35 range
10 fire rate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
You'll want to use the #ressize command to fix that mg problem. I'd also think about whether you want them to be trampled by chariots and troglodytes or just elephants.

Finally, when they get into melee, half the squad will stop firing - what's their other weapon going to be? I assume they're mostly unarmored?

I'd say:
Spear militia
Rifle militia + fist (undisciplined)
Rifle soldier + dagger + helmet
Pistol + spear + helmet + leather (standard)
Cap only rifle + ??? + helmet + leather
MG + dagger + dagger + helmet

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 22, 2015

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Speleothing posted:

You'll want to use the #ressize command to fix that mg problem. I'd also think about whether you want them to be trampled by chariots and troglodytes or just elephants.

Finally, when they get into melee, half the squad will stop firing - what's their other weapon going to be? I assume they're mostly unarmored?

I'd say:
Spear militia
Rifle militia + fist (undisciplined)
Rifle soldier + dagger + helmet
Pistol + spear + helmet + leather (standard)
Cap only rifle + ??? + helmet + leather
MG + dagger + dagger + helmet

The officers and militias have 4 head and 4 body protection and the better quality infantry have 12 head and 6 body protection

The officers have swords and the riflemen have bayonets which are identical to spears but 3 instead of 4 length and 2 instead of 3 damage

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Enjoy posted:

I haven't done any real spells yet (maybe the bunker could be E2 or something?) but the units are: a militia spearman, militia rifleman, regular rifleman, regular rifleman with a +1 morale standard, stealthy marksman with MM3 and forest survival, cap only sacred rifleman, and a machinegun

I would make the sacred unit a smg guy with a PPSh-41, you have enough riflemen.

Following the Company of Heroes model, I would make three support units: mortar, elite sniper (because you can't make a Russian WW2 thing without a reference to Enemy at the Gates!) and HMG. Marksmen with stealth is ok, if they have limited recruitment like for example Trogs from Agharta.

To avoid the spam unit the three support units would have to be commanders in the style of scouts or spies, in other words commanders without (or very little) leadership. Of course you you have real commanders to and a commissar with lowish leadership (like 30, he can't aim his pistol to everyone at the same time in a big group!) but with a big leadership bonus.

Do you have any plans to put tanks or other vehicles? Some of the units have big sprites, like the Great Eagle, so I suppose it should be possible.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 22, 2015

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
My tank sprite is blurrier than all the others for some reason

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

How sprites works?

I imagined more something like taking an appropriate photo of a tank scale model (I'm sure there are a few thousands on the Net), cropping it with care, scaling and saving it in whatever format and tadaaa! you have a tank ingame.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Enjoy posted:

Thanks, I added this, had some teething issues with "endless waves" though:

So I made it summon a big batch at the start instead.

http://www.dropbox.com/s/rorqedob3qb8yz4/sovirus%201.3.rar

There should be a battle summon tag that lets you have them summon like 1 or 2 militia per turn in battle.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Neruz posted:

There should be a battle summon tag that lets you have them summon like 1 or 2 militia per turn in battle.

#battlesum1...5 "<name>" | <nbr>
Automatically summons 0-X monsters to the
battlefield each combat round. The #battlesum5
command summons 0-5 and #battlesum1
summons 0-1 monsters etc.

#batstartsum1...5 "<name>" | <nbr>
Summons x monsters at start of battle.
#batstartsum1 summons 1 monster,
#batstartsum2 summons 2 monsters etc.

#batstartsum1d6...5d6 "<name>" | <nbr>
Summons xd6 monsters at start of battle.
Otherwise works like #batstartsum1...5. values.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
if you create a ritual summon spell and then force a commander to cast it in a battle with #onebattlespell it'll summon those units every round with no fatigue cost

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Do forts that are in adjacent provinces affect each others income/resources?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Yes.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Holy poo poo, 20 new monster gods and a few other ones too in the upcoming patch. Can't wait to play a three legged crow for Yomi.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
I made a submachinegunner and an undead version (1D1B, Alteration 3, 6 gems, 6++ summons)

http://www.dropbox.com/s/qzr5p9vf52jexd6/sovirus1.4.rar

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Are there any good uses for Death Gems if I only have D1 mages (and only in one of my provinces)? A couple of Onyx Sorceresses have managed to find more magic sites than every other mage I own combined :psyduck:

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

Are there any good uses for Death Gems if I only have D1 mages (and only in one of my provinces)? A couple of Onyx Sorceresses have managed to find more magic sites than every other mage I own combined :psyduck:

Empower one to D2 and build Horror Helms for thugs?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Fat Samurai posted:

Empower one to D2, make a skull staff, then have fun with your shiny D3.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

amuayse posted:

Empower one to D2, make a skull staff, then have fun with your shiny D3.

Follow up question; what do I do with a single D3?

So far I'm leaning towards buying several more Sorceress, empower one to D3, Skull Staff and bane lords. D1 isn't enough to skelesspam effectively, so thugging seems the best option, as Enjoy said.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Fat Samurai posted:

Follow up question; what do I do with a single D3?

So far I'm leaning towards buying several more Sorceress, empower one to D3, Skull Staff and bane lords. D1 isn't enough to skelesspam effectively, so thugging seems the best option, as Enjoy said.

You could summon spectres for more D/E/S/W magic.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Or setup an :effort: monthly cast of longdead horse.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Enjoy posted:

I made a submachinegunner and an undead version (1D1B, Alteration 3, 6 gems, 6++ summons)

http://www.dropbox.com/s/qzr5p9vf52jexd6/sovirus1.4.rar

It looks like one of the changes between versions 2 and 3 broke it, I think. When I load the Sovirus mods and no others, the game crashes when I try to create a new game on 3 or 4. This does not happen on version 2.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Have anyone played with LA Bogarus? I think they are going to be the next nation to try.

They have seven different mages (!) and even more counting in the national summons, and a good magic spread (literally all the magic paths) which can be pretty overwhelming.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

Have anyone played with LA Bogarus? I think they are going to be the next nation to try.

They have seven different mages (!) and even more counting in the national summons, and a good magic spread (literally all the magic paths) which can be pretty overwhelming.

Not to mention that all of those mages have astral (except for one which has blood) including recruit-anywhere A2S1. I mean I'm sure there's a ton of things to do with it but that one kinda jumps out.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Benly posted:

It looks like one of the changes between versions 2 and 3 broke it, I think. When I load the Sovirus mods and no others, the game crashes when I try to create a new game on 3 or 4. This does not happen on version 2.

Maybe writing over the previous version changed the order the game loads the mods? Try reactivating them.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Turin Turambar posted:

Firebirds.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

Enjoy posted:

Maybe writing over the previous version changed the order the game loads the mods? Try reactivating them.

I did. Each time I was trying a different version I deactivated the mods, deleted all of the previous version's files, installed the new one, reactivated the mods, and tried to start a game.

edit nm I'm dumb it did change what order they were on the menu screen and that had reversed the order in which I clicked on them.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Benly posted:

Not to mention that all of those mages have astral (except for one which has blood) including recruit-anywhere A2S1. I mean I'm sure there's a ton of things to do with it but that one kinda jumps out.

Technically I think having all magic paths, and every mage having either astral or blood, means that Bogarus can do literally anything if you put the effort and research in.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

Technically I think having all magic paths, and every mage having either astral or blood, means that Bogarus can do literally anything if you put the effort and research in.

Haha true, Astrapelagists are just a super obvious one.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

The only problem to reach all the magical paths is Nature and Water. I was thinking in a N4S4B3W2 rainbow Pretender, that gives me access to Astral Corruption, Mother Oak, Gift of Health and site searching with him will give me water and nature gem income to summon the proper water and nature mage summons.
Now that I think about it, given the pretender patch is so close, I will wait one week to try it, and then test how Rainbows work out with this.

How many? (In before "all of them".)

If you make 50 of them in your capital, do you have a positive event every turn? 50x2%=100%.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

*walks into Bogagrad or whatever, theres firebirds everywhere crapping fire on all the trees and buildings* woa this place is really lucky

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The flaming poo poo is a small price to pay for the periodic "mountain of solid gold" shits.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

So I picked up Domions 3 today since it is on sale on steam today and I have no idea where to start. Are there any good newbie guides I can read or a let's play that explains how to play this?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Turin Turambar posted:

How many? (In before "all of them".)

If you make 50 of them in your capital, do you have a positive event every turn? 50x2%=100%.

Each Firebird triggers independently and each one has 2 stats. Every Firebird has a 2% chance to generate a random event every turn, and every Firebird has a 2% chance of making any random events that occur in their province good.

So if you have 50 Firebirds in your cap at the start of each turn you get 50 2% chances each rolled separately for a random event and if any random events happen in the cap it rolls another 50 2% chances to see if the event is forced to be good or is totally random.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Away all Goats posted:

So I picked up Domions 3 today since it is on sale on steam today and I have no idea where to start. Are there any good newbie guides I can read or a let's play that explains how to play this?

Well, everybody is playing Dominions 4 now, so you are SOL.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
There are quite a few Lets Plays for Dominions 3 though. Um, I think Zorba's Arco one is the best for the newbie perspective?

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
Interesting thing about firebirds: if you are sieging someone's capitol and they have firebirds inside, you get the events those birds generate since you're the owner of that province.

So if you see Bogarus spamming firebirds, siege his capitol and then mock him into going AI before he suicides all his birds. Congratulations, you are now the proud owner of your very own firebird slave colony.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

These are the games we play.

TheresNoThyme posted:

Interesting thing about firebirds: if you are sieging someone's capitol and they have firebirds inside, you get the events those birds generate since you're the owner of that province.

So if you see Bogarus spamming firebirds, siege his capitol and then mock him into going AI before he suicides all his birds. Congratulations, you are now the proud owner of your very own firebird slave colony.

Wont work, the AI will suicide the birds into you.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah you actually want the guy to remain in the game as long as possible because the AI will try and use the birds to break the siege.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

TheDemon posted:

There are quite a few Lets Plays for Dominions 3 though. Um, I think Zorba's Arco one is the best for the newbie perspective?

This one? Thanks I'll check it out.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Ignore that everyone went AI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

Diabl0658 posted:

Wont work, the AI will suicide the birds into you.

Actually, I've done exactly what was in my post, including the player (vanarus in this case) going AI. I have no idea why the AI makes whatever decisions it does but the firebirds sat inside the cap forever, and I think my sieging force was like 10 units at one point.

Maybe the player killed all his units with magic leadership

• Locked thread