Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I thought so too at first, but it honestly looked more like different random materials, kind of like what they use in the stuff that goes under carpets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
/

BraveUlysses posted:

I thought so too at first, but it honestly looked more like different random materials, kind of like what they use in the stuff that goes under carpets.

Check under your back seat? I've had some foam and stuff removed from under there on my LGT. and there might be something like that covering some wiring, etc.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Geirskogul posted:

"Goon in a well" but a hundred years prior..

OP: "Help! HELP! I'm stuck in a well!!!"
Goons1-4: "Climb! Climb up and take our hands!"
OP: "I'm thinking I should dig... should I dig?"
Goon5: "NO! I was trapped in a well, and digging is a bad idea! Climb out!"
Goons6-8: "Were lowering ropes! Take hold of a rope!"
Goon9: "I've even tied a harness to the end of this one!"
OP: "I can feel the ropes, but I don't want to hold onto them... should I dig?"
Goon10: "No! If you dig, you'll hit water, and then you'll be proper hosed. I should know, I almost drowned."
OP: "I dug a little bit just now, and I haven't hit water. I'm gonna keep digging..."
Goons11-18: "No! Climb! Climb out!"
OP: "Guys, I'm seriously stuck in this well! Help! HELP!!!"
Goon19: "I was trapped in a well once. It took me two years, but I managed to build a climbing machine that pulled me to safety out of a well bucket and a pocket watch. I'm dropping the blueprints, extra buckets, and an assortment of pocket watches."
Goon20: "I've engineered a jet-pack that will rocket you to safety. Stay where you are and we'll lower it down!"
OP: "Thanks for your help, guys. I'm gonna keep digging. I'll find the Mines of Moria and I'll just walk to the surface."
**Goons1-20 piss in the well**
Goon21: "Guys, seriously... stop peeing in the well."
Goon22:"Yeah, like any of you guys have even seen a real well, you neckbearded, WOW-addicted shut-ins."

Accurate description of the 300zx thread

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

2015 finally took grandma, I'd post the gif but I'm too broken down by Avis's idiot customer service and Southwest's lovely hold music.

gently caress, condolences. I'm down to one left and have been hearing stories that people are really having to push her hard to eat enough these days. No major medical issues, just age, but she's stubborn as a mule (as are all of her kids, hmmm) so even that can be A Thing.

Fo3 posted:

I don't get the USA love of old hondas and toyotas.

Pretty much the "want what we can't have" syndrome.

mariooncrack posted:

Accurate description of the 300zx thread

Accurate description of so many threads on these fine forums.

Oh, and the car dealership gods have shined down upon my Toyota-cursed friend; it sounds like they're replacing the HV battery with no real fuss about anything. I'm shocked it was dead so soon either way, the car has under 70k on it.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 23, 2015

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

Pretty much the "want what we can't have" syndrome.

Oh God yes. My father's partners (veterinarian, so think doctor or dentist in a small town. Big fish in a small pond.) in the late nineties went all out, and bought, as their business cars, the following:

One (1) Pontiac Trans Sport. AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION!!! V6!!! This is crazy awesome!

and

One (1) Chevrolet Blazer, for mainly the same reasons.

Both spent way too much time at the only place that could service them (two hours away) and didn't really last that long. But they were AMERICAN!

Edit: Ha! I initially wrote Chevrolet Trans Sport, but then figured I remembered wrong, and that it was actually a Pontiac. Lo and behold, in Europe it was actually sold as the Chevrolet Trans Sport.

bolind fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 23, 2015

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

gently caress, condolences. I'm down to one left and have been hearing stories that people are really having to push her hard to eat enough these days. No major medical issues, just age, but she's stubborn as a mule (as are all of her kids, hmmm) so even that can be A Thing.

That's how it was for her... for the last few years she would tend to forget to eat, or change her clothes, etc. The Alzheimer's started to become apparently about a decade ago, and when I last visited her ~6 years ago, I had my mom call her before I left my bedroom in the morning, because I wasn't sure she'd recognize me without a reminder. In the last year she started not even recognizing her children, and asking about her mom and dad because she thought it was 1940.

When she had a fall and hit her head two weeks ago, we knew it was pretty dire... luckily mom was able to get out there in time to be with her at the end. I'm flying out tomorrow afternoon for the funeral.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

My bank won't give me an appointment to turn my mortgage promise into a mortgage for another 8 weeks.

Time to find another bank.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Pham Nuwen posted:

That's how it was for her... for the last few years she would tend to forget to eat, or change her clothes, etc. The Alzheimer's started to become apparently about a decade ago, and when I last visited her ~6 years ago, I had my mom call her before I left my bedroom in the morning, because I wasn't sure she'd recognize me without a reminder. In the last year she started not even recognizing her children, and asking about her mom and dad because she thought it was 1940.

When she had a fall and hit her head two weeks ago, we knew it was pretty dire... luckily mom was able to get out there in time to be with her at the end. I'm flying out tomorrow afternoon for the funeral.

I'm sorry to see that. My dad is bugger all short term memory, and is going through tests at the moment to see if he has Alzheimer's

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

Yeah, losing my mental capacity is truly frightening. Luckily my grandmother still has her wits about her - there's no question about whether or not she's forgotten to eat, she just doesn't want to.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

IOwnCalculus posted:

My grandparents are long gone, but it's starting to come down to this with my mom. She's "only" 77 but she's really inactive, and a year or two ago started getting bad dizzy spells. A doctor gave her some routines for fixing it, rocking her head around in a specific order, but she lost her appetite because of it. Last October she looked up suddenly to check out a squirrel in the back yard, and fell and broke her arm. Since then she confines herself to a wheelchair and is down to 110 lb. So stubborn, what she needs is some friends so she has a reason to get up and go out. I wish I didn't live 4 states away, I'd make my daughter go learn to sew for a couple hours every week.

In more boring events, I'm doing something I don't think I've ever done before, I didn't want to fight commuters in the snow this morning so I just took a personal day off. Felt really good to just not go to work. I got some lunch, did a little shopping, and now I'm gonna do laundry and play some DooM.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Helped a coworker this weekend by machining a spacer/adding a retainer pin to a shaft. I told him to pay me in beer.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Fo3 posted:

I don't get the USA love of old hondas and toyotas.

In the US it is hard to find a vehicle as light as old Japanese cars. I'm rather glad they stick to old japanese cars so it keeps good stock domestic cars cheap. Old hondas are popular due to cheap horsepower gains and cheap plentiful aftermarket part availability. I'm not really sure any old toyota is "popular" in the US besides the AE86 or MR2. The AE86 mystique is not only Initial D but anyone who has seen Hot Version or Best Motoring knows there's a lot of kool-aid regarding the car. Ownership of the 2300lb FR car makes much more sense in japan where parts are plentiful but here a Miata is the obvious FR performance choice. The late 1980s/1990s tercels and civics at around 2000lbs are the lightest thing around with 100+chp. That said the tercel suspension, engine, and aftermarket are pretty dismal.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 24, 2015

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Alarbus posted:

It's awesome. And if you enroll in Global Entry through DHS, you get GE and pre check for five years at a cost of $100 and a ten minute interview. Automated customs kiosks were great coming back from Germany.
Global entry, pre-check and everything else is so nice. I don't think people realize how easy it is or that nearly anyone can get it. I traveled with work for a little over a year before I went ahead and got everything, so worth it.

Cakefool posted:

My bank won't give me an appointment to turn my mortgage promise into a mortgage for another 8 weeks.

Time to find another bank.
My bank tried this when I went to close, said they would have to push it back a few weeks. I had 5 quotes within an hour and told them as much. Amazingly they were able to close on the originally planned date.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

One thing is I'm nervous to go get another mortgage offer because what I want is reet close to what they said would be my maximum, I don't want loads of credit pulls that end up lowering what I can get.

I'm sure I'm just paranoid though. I'll try another branch tomorrow, if I can't get in there soon it's new bank time. I don't mind switching all my accounts etc too, they make it stupid easy over here.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

some texas redneck posted:

So my mom and stepdad both want to go with me to the Unitarian Universalist fellowship I've started going to... tomorrow.

Mom's religious, but not overly so (Methodist, I think). Stepdad is hardcore southern Baptist, and for whatever reason is a bit anti-Semitic.

The topic tomorrow?

This should be interesting.

Also, winter storm warning, when we hit 65 or so today. :psyduck: Of course, it's mostly going to be rain, followed by freezing, so the roads will be fun tomorrow night/all of Monday.

I stayed home. I'm a computer janitor, they can live without me, and I have vacation time to burn.
Besides, I felt like crap this morning.

Sandbagger SA posted:

I'd be more concerned about the other drivers on the road than the weather. :3:

This, mostly.

go3 posted:

This is why I'm staying home. Texas drivers and bad weather is practically suicide.

Very this.

Gives me time to catch up on the AI forums.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

the spyder posted:

Helped a coworker this weekend by machining a spacer/adding a retainer pin to a shaft. I told him to pay me in beer.

That's some pretty respectable shade tree beer! Your friend is a standup guy/gal.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cakefool posted:

One thing is I'm nervous to go get another mortgage offer because what I want is reet close to what they said would be my maximum, I don't want loads of credit pulls that end up lowering what I can get.

I'm sure I'm just paranoid though. I'll try another branch tomorrow, if I can't get in there soon it's new bank time. I don't mind switching all my accounts etc too, they make it stupid easy over here.

I had to try a couple different banks to get one that would get us closed soon enough.

If you do multiple credit pulls for mortgage quotes, most banks will be okay with it so long as you were not doing multiple checks for something other than a mortgage.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Is there a fishing thread somewhere? If there is I can't find it or even locate the subforum a thread like that would be in. The sprag started slipping on my cheap generic reel the last couple of trips last season so I'm going to need to replace that before it gets warm, and I shop for basically everything by reading hundreds of pages of goons sperg-raging at each other over minute insignificant details in the construction of something that costs $20.

Or if there isn't one, I've used this one and rather liked it, so it's my current frontrunner. Any thoughts? http://www.amazon.ca/Shimano-Sienna-2500-Rear-Spinning/dp/B003OBT3IW/ref=sr_1_7?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1424736226&sr=1-7 I mainly fish for walleye and pike.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 24, 2015

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
The fish don't care what you use to catch them. More bearing is usually more better. Shimano stuff is fine.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Wrar posted:

The fish don't care what you use to catch them. More bearing is usually more better. Shimano stuff is fine.

If you aint fishing with dynamite, you aint fishing

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Just made kiełbasa fried rice and holy poo poo is it way better than I expected.

Like, drat :vince:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Tommychu posted:

Is there a fishing thread somewhere? If there is I can't find it or even locate the subforum a thread like that would be in. The sprag started slipping on my cheap generic reel the last couple of trips last season so I'm going to need to replace that before it gets warm, and I shop for basically everything by reading hundreds of pages of goons sperg-raging at each other over minute insignificant details in the construction of something that costs $20.

Or if there isn't one, I've used this one and rather liked it, so it's my current frontrunner. Any thoughts? http://www.amazon.ca/Shimano-Sienna-2500-Rear-Spinning/dp/B003OBT3IW/ref=sr_1_7?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1424736226&sr=1-7 I mainly fish for walleye and pike.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3480910

Fishing thread for you. As for reels, I used a basic quantum like this for quite a while as a kid and got a version of it when I started fishing in florida after moving here. This is however just an opinion and I have nothing to back up why it may be better or worse than another reel. http://www.amazon.ca/QUANTUM-OPTIX-SPINNING-REEL-20/dp/B000JS5EHC/ref=sr_1_3?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1424742346&sr=1-3

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 24, 2015

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Cat Terrist posted:

If you aint fishing with dynamite, you aint fishing

This was my solution to everything till people started pinning the tail on the jackass.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Guys I can't stop my 3D printer from just constantly jackin' it. Please send help.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Geirskogul posted:

Guys I can't stop my 3D printer from just constantly jackin' it. Please send help.

Those are so goddamn cool.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Can't wait to throw a set of those under my junkers.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

iwentdoodie posted:

Those are so goddamn cool.

Seriously. Those things own so hard :allears:

e: Geirskogul, i'll shoot you a PayPal tomorrow when I get paid if you're willing to do up a set like those blue ones, but with a glow in the dark base :v:

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 24, 2015

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Note: the ones on the left are poo poo. The ones on the right are the style I'm doing, because they actually work with the pin.

E:

quote:

e: Geirskogul, i'll shoot you a PayPal tomorrow when I get paid if you're willing to do up a set like those blue ones, but with a glow in the dark base

Shoot me an email with your address, I'll add you to the list. Got the printer running full-tilt now and it feels good :)

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 24, 2015

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Geirskogul posted:

Note: the ones on the left are poo poo. The ones on the right are the style I'm doing, because they actually work with the pin

Build scale hi-lifts and sell em to the RC crawler guys. :D

hell, I'd go in for a couple too.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Tusen Takk posted:

Just made kiełbasa fried rice and holy poo poo is it way better than I expected.

Like, drat :vince:

Recipe please.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Just bought a new (to us) car: 2012 Kia Soul+. So excited about it :toot:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

QuarkMartial posted:

Just bought a new (to us) car: 2012 Kia Soul+. So excited about it :toot:

How much, if you don't mind? I've been meaning to look those up but never remember.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

iwentdoodie posted:

How much, if you don't mind? I've been meaning to look those up but never remember.

13900ish before taxes and warranties and such from Carmax. Pretty close to the KBB of 13500. 42k miles and a decent 5 year or 125k miles warranty.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

QuarkMartial posted:

13900ish before taxes and warranties and such from Carmax. Pretty close to the KBB of 13500. 42k miles and a decent 5 year or 125k miles warranty.

Not bad at all. Still too high for me as a second car though. I figured they would have droppped lower by now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dad decided on an Audi crossover thing to replace his Golf and Tahoe. But before that we drove a '15 Mustang Gt and holy balls did it make some wonderful noises. I think I found my midlife crisis car.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Rhyno posted:

Dad decided on an Audi crossover thing to replace his Golf and Tahoe. But before that we drove a '15 Mustang Gt and holy balls did it make some wonderful noises. I think I found my midlife crisis car.

That and the Camaro 1LE make the best noises I've ever heard from a stock car.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

iwentdoodie posted:

That and the Camaro 1LE make the best noises I've ever heard from a stock car.

It's so beautiful. Salesman was a big dude and he looked hilarious crammed in the backseat. Fucker wouldn't let me drive it since "well your father is the one looking for a car today."
Still, 4 years from now it would make a great "Oh gently caress I got old"-mobile.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Recipe please.

Fry onions and kiełbasa in super hot sesame oil until brown, dump white rice in with some kikkomans and stir up, then flatten it out so it can dry out and stir occasionally. I cut the 'basa in half so it would cook better and I added a lot of Sriracha cuz I like spicy

Edit: normally it doesn't taste this good because the soy sauce glazes the rice and tastes kind of sweet, so it seems to be something with this kind of Kikkomans

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 24, 2015

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

iwentdoodie posted:

Not bad at all. Still too high for me as a second car though. I figured they would have droppped lower by now.

It ended being more than what I wanted to spend on a car, but the financing is decent enough. My monthly payment is manageable and at the moment that's all that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

BraveUlysses posted:

Mice? in MY vagina wagon?

I have no idea where it found whatever that material was before it chewed it up.

It's kind of a dick move but at least they brought you a shitload of weed for your vehicular hospitality.

• Locked thread