Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

panascope posted:

The results don't look like they were dominated by Eldar, what happened?

Turns out 40k may not be as horribly imbalanced as people thought, and good strategy is usually going to beat out a net list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I look at that tyranid list and have no idea how he did it. It seems so simple: lictors + mawlocs = accurate blasts. But to prevent all 6 from being blasted off the board before reserves arrive and still have enough pressure to make them count must take some practice.

Texmo posted:

I wonder which number is higher: the number of posts in this thread by Hollismason, or the number of posts by people who can't stop talking about Hollismason? I'd wager it's the latter.

I would take that bet. 29 pages of posts? Who loving does that!

LordAba fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 24, 2015

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Master Twig posted:

Turns out 40k may not be as horribly imbalanced as people thought, and good strategy is usually going to beat out a net list.

fart its actually because this game is fuckin random as poo poo you literally just roll dice the whole time

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
welp i won the roll to seize, guess you lose :smug:

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Phyresis posted:

welp i won the roll to seize, guess you lose :smug:
i got coteaz, bitch

oh poo poo another six, alright, let me start packing

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx
Thanks twig/boon! I guess you too Hollis. Probably going with the lynx in that case! And I'll finally have a use for the eldar themed landing pad I made last year. I already have three serpents plus on falcon, so in theory it'll complement what I've already got. Pictures will come, but it's a ways off for that.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Hollismason posted:

What the gently caress ever, I get attacked because I ...

When people on the Internet say things that hurt your feelings it is not possible to change their minds with counter arguments. Ever. So stop.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
Warhammer 40k: Share your opinion of Forums Poster Hollismason here

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Post 9-11 User posted:

When people on the Internet say things that hurt your feelings it is not possible to change their minds with counter arguments. Ever. So stop.

In other words...

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

LordAba posted:

I look at that tyranid list and have no idea how he did it. It seems so simple: lictors + mawlocs = accurate blasts. But to prevent all 6 from being blasted off the board before reserves arrive and still have enough pressure to make them count must take some practice.

I would take that bet. 29 pages of posts? Who loving does that!

lictors going to ground get some pretty sweet cover saves...

then, on turn 2 when synapse comes into range they are fearless and are no longer affected by going to ground in the previous turn.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ True, provided you can grab some ruins!

VolatileSky posted:

Thanks twig/boon! I guess you too Hollis. Probably going with the lynx in that case! And I'll finally have a use for the eldar themed landing pad I made last year. I already have three serpents plus on falcon, so in theory it'll complement what I've already got. Pictures will come, but it's a ways off for that.

Well, think since you mentioned it as well the Warp Hunter isn't a super heavy: http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Eldar/ELDAR-WARP-HUNTER.html It is actually based on the Falcon chassis. Unless you mean the Cobra which has the heavy D cannon I believe.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 24, 2015

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I don't think Hollisman is that bad. Certainly not enough to put on ignore. He does sometimes post good things. He was the first to post stuff from the LVO and I appreciate that.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Wait. A game based on rolling a dice is random? gently caress this I'm out

Edit:

Fart fart fart fart fart

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

panascope posted:

The results don't look like they were dominated by Eldar, what happened?

I don't know the rules of LVO- some goon should explain them for us plebs -but it looks like all the usual gimmicky stuff was middle of the pack. I mean, its they were still brutal, but the guys who took the top had much more balanced armies. At least it seems like it from the few that have been posted.

Von Humboldt posted:

guys, I'm hollismason

i'm gay

Would 5 again

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
how are you gonna PLAY LIKE YOU GOT A PAIR when there is randomness involved????

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
I haven't used the ignore function since Nephilm and Hans Asperger.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

I don't know the rules of LVO- some goon should explain them for us plebs -but it looks like all the usual gimmicky stuff was middle of the pack. I mean, its they were still brutal, but the guys who took the top had much more balanced armies. At least it seems like it from the few that have been posted.

Would 5 again

You're allowed two detachments. Only one can be a formation or codex specific detachment (such as Leviathan). If you have two, one must be a CAD. Forgeworld is allowed. No Lords of War that are over some amount of points (don't remember what, but enough to allow knights but not stompas). I think knights and the lynx were the only super heavies you could use.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
I spose people come to expect to play against the typical knight lists and eldar lists and build hard counters to them. Subsequently those lists, will have a game or two or three against a hard counter which is enough to take them out of the top tables. The hard counters themselves, however, get beaten by players who aren't playing the flavours of the month.

Players who think further outside the box and bring a strategy outside of the meta will surprise people. There's been times at tournaments where I've lost matches because I was unfamiliar with an army or unfamiliar with the strategy of the player; In those instances, I knew, if we played again we'd have a very different result.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Master Twig posted:

You're allowed two detachments. Only one can be a formation or codex specific detachment (such as Leviathan). If you have two, one must be a CAD. Forgeworld is allowed. No Lords of War that are over some amount of points (don't remember what, but enough to allow knights but not stompas). I think knights and the lynx were the only super heavies you could use.

Actually the list of allowable LoW was pretty large;

All of the Baneblade chassis vehicles except for the Hellhammer (and Traitor’s Bane variant) and Stormsword, which are not allowed for the LVO 2015.
All of the Imperial Knight LoW variants
Crassus Armored Assault Transport
Gorgon Heavy Transporter
Minotaur Artillery Tank
All Macharius chassis vehicles
All Malcador chassis vehicles except the Malcador Infernus which is not allowed for the BAO 2014
Valdor Tank Hunter
Marauder Bomber (may not take Hellstorm bombs)
Maurader Destroyer
Fellblade
Cereberus Heavy Tank Destroyer
Thunderhawk Transporter
Greater Brass Scorpion of Khorne
Khorne Lord of Skulls
Nurgle Plague Reaper
Obelisk
Gauss Pylon
Stompa
Big Mek Stompa (Big Mek Buzzgob pays the normal amount of points for his Stompa, not that listed in his unit entry)
Gargantuan Squiggoth
Kustom Battle Fortress
Kill Krusha Tank
Kill Blasta
Cobra
Scorpion
Lynx with Pulsar (but not with Sonic Lance)
Tiger Shark (Escalation version)
Orca Dropship
Scythed Hierodule
Barbed Hierodule

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

BULBASAUR posted:

Would 5 again

It's also just the nature of the ITC tournament setting they've got going here are the basic rules of it.

https://www.frontlinegaming.org/las-vegas-open-hotel-booking/las-vegas-open-2015-warhammer-40k-championships/

This also has the missions, which is here as well is a example. My group uses these to play and their a lot of fun and well balanced actually.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByVzaY23LOX-aGVDYmszR2E2MU0/edit?usp=sharing

Pairings are Swiss style, based on strength of schedule.
The top 8 players from Friday and Saturday will go on to the finals on Sunday to determine the tournament Champion in a single elimination, 3 round, winner takes all finale!

From what people have said sometimes your more likely with super crazy gimmick lists to run into someone who has a exact counter to your army and that's why stuff like 3 Imperial Knights Adamantium Lance meets the middle of the pack because he went up against a 10 Drop Pods w/ Melta Gun Salamander army.

Which makes sense. I've only played Coastcon? (NOLA used to have one) several years ago and a couple of the Miniature tournaments when they still had them at New Orleans, but never a "grand tournament" with 200+

Cataphract posted:

I spose people come to expect to play against the typical knight lists and eldar lists and build hard counters to them. Subsequently those lists, will have a game or two or three against a hard counter which is enough to take them out of the top tables. The hard counters themselves, however, get beaten by players who aren't playing the flavours of the month.

Players who think further outside the box and bring a strategy outside of the meta will surprise people. There's been times at tournaments where I've lost matches because I was unfamiliar with an army or unfamiliar with the strategy of the player; In those instances, I knew, if we played again we'd have a very different result.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 24, 2015

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Exactly. Can't imagine many people planned to play against lictors and mawlocs. Hive Tyrants sure, but not the rest.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Boon posted:

Only 1 Eldar in the top 8...

Perhaps Wave Serpent spam is now untenable in a GT setting. I'd be curious to see the composition of those Eldar lists if anyone has that available.

I played against 5 eldar players (3 tau[one repeat] and a marine player) over the weekend, 2 of them were 5 serpents and they both lost 4 serpents on turn two. The third spam player had two forgeworld Knights and 4 serpents and I picked up both his Knights and a serpent on 2.

One in highlander lost his serpent, falcon, and spinner on turn 2 and the other highlander player was some weird wraith thing that I tabled on 4.

So in highlander I went 3-0 and my buddy Trent won it overall.

E: I'm terrified of mawlocks. I have to deal with them a lot because my teammates caught on to them almost a year ago. But yes, it's the first couple of rounds that scare me more then anything because they can be weird rear end lists that you haven't practiced against.

Naramyth fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 24, 2015

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
What was your list?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

BULBASAUR posted:

What was your list?

I posted the championship list earlier.

My 1500 highlander was:

Chapter master, artificer armor, storm shield fist bike
Captain artificer storm shield fist bike
Command squad on bikes with apothecary
Close combat scouts meltabombs
Tac squad meltabombs
Stormtalon skyhammers
Stormraven
Siccarian
Knight paladin.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Naramyth posted:

My 1500 highlander was:

Tac squad meltabombs
Stormtalon skyhammers
Stormraven
Siccarian
Knight paladin.

Lists like your LVO one is why I've considered running 2 Crimson Hunters. Problem being a second Crimson Hunter isn't good (unless it's a second CAD) and I don't want to paint a second Crimson Hunter.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Noted hairy fatasses Ghost Hand and Cataphract finally turn on Hollismason after he makes a crack about hairy fatasses, and at a ham tournament no less.

Seriously, of all the things he's posted that's what you get upset about? 29 pages of posts with such gems as cooking animal parts for bases and that's your final straw?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

spacegoat posted:

Noted hairy fatasses Ghost Hand and Cataphract finally turn on Hollismason after he makes a crack about hairy fatasses, and at a ham tournament no less.

Seriously, of all the things he's posted that's what you get upset about? 29 pages of posts with such gems as cooking animal parts for bases and that's your final straw?

I think it was more his attitude about objectifying people, you know, combined with his overall shittiness. Just be glad that they are now one of us.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Agreed, it just amuses me that that was the post that went too far.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Naramyth posted:

My 1500 highlander was:

Tac squad meltabombs
Stormtalon skyhammers
Stormraven
Siccarian
Knight paladin.

How do you outfit your Stormraven, and why?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

The Sex Cannon posted:

This stuff owns, man. You should finish writing up the stratagems for IG and Demons so I can steal 'em!

Seriously, though. I wish I was in your gaming group.

Just for you, I whipped up some sheets for IG and Daemons. They aren't amazing, but they'll do in a pinch and they finish off all the major factions.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ffmptpgh5cviy1/Campaign_Cards_20150222.rar?dl=0

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Naramyth posted:

My 1500 highlander was:

Tac squad meltabombs
Stormtalon skyhammers
Stormraven
Siccarian
Knight paladin.

Thanks mang. Nice to see the Sicaran getting some love at tournaments. It's a cool as hell tank and model. Do you take it to counter wave snakes serpents?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

spacegoat posted:

Agreed, it just amuses me that that was the post that went too far.

Guys do hate it when they're treated like they normally treat women. :v:

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

BULBASAUR posted:

Thanks mang. Nice to see the Sicaran getting some love at tournaments. It's a cool as hell tank and model. Do you take it to counter wave snakes serpents?
I'm actually curious about this. There's a lot of debate in my gaming group over how good Sicarans are versus Serpents. I maintain that they're alright at handling Serpents - you knock off a HP a turn if they are in cover, and two if they are not, rounding up in both cases - but are better used to kill about a thousand other things that might show up. Versatile, basically, but not a hard counter. Some of the other guys have raging boners for the things, and claim that they are just the best loving things versus Serpents and a direct counter.

It's mostly a dude that thinks three Sicarans shoved on a Skyshield (gently caress physics lol) is just the nastiest thing imaginable. Of course, he's not got the models, but he's heard things.

Von Humboldt fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Feb 24, 2015

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Just for you, I whipped up some sheets for IG and Daemons. They aren't amazing, but they'll do in a pinch and they finish off all the major factions.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ffmptpgh5cviy1/Campaign_Cards_20150222.rar?dl=0

I got bad news, bruh: I don't see the new ones.

The Sex Cannon fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Feb 24, 2015

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I never thought I'd ever see someone taking a stand against another person for objectifying men.
Personally, I'd be pretty flattered if a random stranger made a 'wildly inappropriate' comment about how they find me attractive. I'm with spacegoat on this one, it's a pretty silly thing to get all up-in-arms about.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Von Humboldt posted:

I'm actually curious about this. There's a lot of debate in my gaming group over how good Sicarans are versus Serpents. I maintain that they're alright at handling Serpents - you knock off a HP a turn if they are in cover, and two if they are not, rounding up in both cases - but are better used to kill about a thousand other things that might show up. Versatile, basically, but not a hard counter. Some of the other guys have raging boners for the things, and claim that they are just the best loving things versus Serpents and a direct counter.

It's mostly a dude that thinks three Sicarans shoved on a Skyshield (gently caress physics lol) is just the nastiest thing imaginable. Of course, he's not got the models, but he's heard things.

I've run sicarans only a few times and I was never impressed with the results. Fast AV13 and ignores jink is nice, but rending is a real crapshoot. Then there's the Orth sicaran, who gives it BS5 and tank hunters. Then it gets nasty. Naramyth definitely didn't run it that way, so I'm also curious.

e: two thudd guns cost about the same, have better versatility, and will get more glances despite the 4++

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

VolatileSky posted:

There are other uses for the internet?

And question on forgeworld super heavy eldar tanks. I have zero experience in using any, and my criteria so far is "does it look cool?" With that in mind I'm leaning towards the warp hunter or lynx, which the lynx apparently pulled some bullshit in this tournament? I'll need to look up what it did exactly. There also the scorpion and cobra, but which would any of the eldar players h here like to field? If it helps my army is still all wraith all the time, so it's not exactly competitive besides being kinda uncommon to actually see.

Or should I just go with whichever I think looks good? I could do hornet spam but the idea is to have a relatively large centre piece for the army. You know, besides that wraithknight.

I have both a Scorpion mk II and a magnetised Lynx, unpainted and unused but they look super rad. I'm practising how to either freehand or stencil on eldar runes before I paint them, super heavies deserve special attention.

The Warp Hunter isn't a super heavy fyi, it's a Falcon chassis with a resin d-cannon hooked over it.

The Lynx is 50% larger than a Falcon chassis, but at twice the size the Scorpion and Cobra are definitely centrepiece sized, though that also makes it a little unwieldy for a 6x4 table.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 24, 2015

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I am constantly on a hair-trigger over my extremely hairy and sweaty rear end-crack. I was born with a congenital disorder where my rear end-crack hair grown uncontrollably and as a result, every three days I have to shear the hair from my taint all the way up to the tip of my crack, lest it become "fly blown". The only upside is that I combine the sheared hair with superglue to make some sick basing, or I collect the crack-dandruff and use it to season my famous gazpacho

Forums poster Hollismason has triggered me greatly with his rear end-crack comment, I have been in tears for the last 15 minutes or so as I rub hair removal cream all over my body as I sob profusely. He has no right to insult or shame my beautiful, hairy rear end and I hope that one day I will be able to display this enormously fat, hairy rear end in public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Gross

• Locked thread