Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who makes distinctions between probable theories and unquestionable, certain fact.

There's evidence to support the stanford/stanley thing, and it's probably the biggest theory so far, but no, not everyone has accepted is as fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Can someone explain how the Stan theory came about? I'm a little confused by it.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Mraagvpeine posted:

Can someone explain how the Stan theory came about? I'm a little confused by it.

The body switch carpet episode: Stan finds a similar pair of glasses to his, which he picks up without remark, later he's seen just staring at them.

Time Traveller's pig: Twins at the mystery shack time travel years back before it was there, instead there is a cabin in the woods where it would be and a man who looks like stan but not quite looks out the door at them.

There's probably more I don't remember atm. These are the two prominent pieces of evidence.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Laputanmachine posted:

Of course, it could all be a huge red herring and it turns out [deviladvocate]it wasn't a cleft chin, just a small scar he got from some slight accident and it then healed up. The glasses just remind of Stan how much pussy he used to score when he was younger or whatever. It still doesn't explain why Stan didn't wear those glasses in his memories in Dreamscaperers, but maybe they are his special pussy-scoring glasses and he can't use them anymore due to sinister reasons.[/deviladvocate]

I honestly hope it's this one, just because I love a good bait-and-switch.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Interesting stuff with the 4chan link, but seriously, three posts up.

Goddammit :doh: I sometimes skip video links without a description in the post, that's what I get.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Young Robbie V looks different in the second Blendin episode than he does in the portraits hanging in his family's house. Yet more evidence for the Robbie/Robbley theory.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Acne Rain posted:

The body switch carpet episode: Stan finds a similar pair of glasses to his, which he picks up without remark, later he's seen just staring at them.

Time Traveller's pig: Twins at the mystery shack time travel years back before it was there, instead there is a cabin in the woods where it would be and a man who looks like stan but not quite looks out the door at them.

There's probably more I don't remember atm. These are the two prominent pieces of evidence.

A while back, Hirsch tweeted a screencap of maybe-Stan looking out the cabin door with the comment "there's still a secret here that people haven't found yet".

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Moddington posted:

A while back, Hirsch tweeted a screencap of maybe-Stan looking out the cabin door with the comment "there's still a secret here that people haven't found yet".

Hirsch is an amazing megatroll and cannot be trusted, beautiful angel he is.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
If the Stanley & Stanford thing turns out to be true, then my pet theory is that Dipper & Mabel's actual Great Uncle is Stanley, an eccentric genius who was born with six fingers on his left hand. (or both hands) He built a portal, but then hid his journals to keep the instructions away from the wrong people. That poo poo is crazy dangerous if it's mishandled. Stanley knows how to work the portal already, since he built it, so it's not like he needs the instructions for himself.

Stanley visits some alternate worlds, and in one world meets and befriends his alternate-universe self, Stanford. Through some turn of events, they end up switching places just as the portal unexpectedly breaks down. Stanley would be able to fix it, but he's on the wrong side. Stanford knows that books with instructions were mentioned, but has no idea where they are.

So the Stans are trapped in the wrong universes, and Stanford has spent thirty years trying to fix it. He pretends to be the Stan of this universe, and since Stanley was kind of an eccentric and reclusive weirdo anyway, nobody even notices the difference. Everyone only ever called him Stan, so he doesn't bother to keep track of the Stanley/Stanford name difference, because nobody ever calls him on it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
A good effort, but Gideon and his dad have only ever called him "Stanford."

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

I like that theory until you realize how creepy it makes Stan's moments of affection towards his not-grandnephew/niece.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Has he ever once actually refered to them as (great) niece or nephew? I just always remember him calling them by name or just "kids."

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
:stare:

http://i.imgur.com/4P9FFY2.png
Edit: spoiler! My money's on McGucket

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 24, 2015

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

We've already seen a lot of hints that the mayor "isn't long for this world" and that Bud Gleeful wants to be mayor, so that's at least one death, though certainly not a major character by any means.

WrathOfBlade posted:

Young Robbie V looks different in the second Blendin episode than he does in the portraits hanging in his family's house. Yet more evidence for the Robbie/Robbley theory.

Wasn't there a theory for awhile that Robbie was a zombie? It was even back before we knew his parents were funeral directors.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So in that trailer, the town appears to lose its gravity.

Is there anything the intro won't forshadow by the end of the series??

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
They've been foreshadowing Stan's death for a while now...

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
it's gonna be some character who is introduced as a redshirt

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Macaluso posted:

So in that trailer, the town appears to lose its gravity.

Is there anything the intro won't forshadow by the end of the series??

Bat Boy.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Blubs, the day before he retires.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Definitely Toby Determined.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Get em guy is gonna get got

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Bill Cipher will die, leading to absolutely no one's caring.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

TwoPair posted:

His brother Louis might care.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Robbie's parents. Everyone will laugh

TwoPair posted:

I will care :saddowns:

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

cptn_dr posted:

Blubs, the day before he retires.
____________________/

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Yeah, McGucket is a walking deus ex machina, he's not making it out of season 2.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Pakled posted:

Definitely Toby Determined.
Aww, but he just wants to be a part of things.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
(drat. Meant to edit, not quote.)

pksage posted:

Yeah, McGucket is a walking deus ex machina, he's not making it out of season 2.
In the case of the Gobblewonker, he was literally Deranged Hillbilly Ex Machina.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Toby can't die, his existence is punishment

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Maybe Robbie will die and his parents will turn him into a zombie like some people thought they already did :v:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Look, why don’t we all agree that everyone’s theories have merit, and if people still feel passionate that they’re right and everyone else is wrong…well, there’s only one way to settle the argument, isn’t there?

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

CobiWann posted:

Look, why don’t we all agree that everyone’s theories have merit, and if people still feel passionate that they’re right and everyone else is wrong…well, there’s only one way to settle the argument, isn’t there?

A round of Fight Fighters??

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Giffany did not survive the season.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Acebuckeye13 posted:

In a twist season finale both twins will die leaving a character vacuum where anything can happen and nobody is safe. Gideon will then become the most likable character on the show.

Robot Hobo posted:

He built a portal, but then hid his journals to keep the instructions away from the wrong people. That poo poo is crazy dangerous if it's mishandled.

Plus there's no telling what could come through from the other side. Imagine the carnage if an elder god or *shudder* Rick Sanchez made their way to across.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
Does the portal work like the movie Event Horizen? If so, maybe other Stan should not come back.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cat Mattress posted:

Giffany did not survive the season.

Are you sure?

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

readingatwork posted:

In a twist season finale both twins will die leaving a character vacuum where anything can happen and nobody is safe.

I genuinely believe that Dipper will snap out of existence at some point and clones 3 and 4 will be enlisted to fill his role until he can be brought back.

It's also worth noting that a bald Blendin appears in a crowd during Gideon Rises, so we're likely to get another time travel episode where he's still after the kids.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

What's this about Robbie being a zombie? I just saw the panel where Alex pulls out the McGucket puppet and yells "Robbie's a very special boy!" instead of giving a real answer.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
theory from early season 1 that's not really held anymore.
1.) episode one "many zombies are mistaken for teenagers"
2.) van has "zombies rule" graffiti
3.) "rob zombie"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

don Jaime posted:

It's also worth noting that a bald Blendin appears in a crowd during Gideon Rises, so we're likely to get another time travel episode where he's still after the kids the slice of infinite pizza

I would love another Blendin episode.

• Locked thread