Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
On the other hand, The World of Darkness manages to have cool and fun mechanics that 24 retards can bang their head against and have a blast and doesn't suffer from "gently caress one thing up or have 5ms of lag and wipe".

e: new page, in regards to FFXIV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

kirbysuperstar posted:

On the other hand, The World of Darkness manages to have cool and fun mechanics that 24 retards can bang their head against and have a blast and doesn't suffer from "gently caress one thing up or have 5ms of lag and wipe".

e: new page, in regards to FFXIV

gently caress is the world of darkness

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.
I am a jaded ex-MMO player, this taints (hehe) my opinion greatly.

Raiding has never been fun; it just seems like over time there are more and more gimmicks and more DPS gates and more timed one shot crap, with longer and longer fights.

My eyes glaze over when I watch a video like that, with so much to keep track of and remember or everybody just wasted another 30-60 minutes of their lives.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Are there any free form RPG's like dungeon siege available on steam? DS runs kind of buggy for me though its still fun.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

corn in the bible posted:

gently caress is the world of darkness

Part 3 of the "Crystal Tower" Final Fantasy XIV raid content, based on the Crystal Tower from Final Fantasy III.

It's really loving cool. Fighting Cerberus is one of the best fights in the game. You have to receive the "mini" effect, then be eaten by Cerberus... and then kill him from inside while other party members chain him up outside. :black101:

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

ColoradoCleric posted:

Are there any free form RPG's like dungeon siege available on steam? DS runs kind of buggy for me though its still fun.
There's tons of isometric RPGs that are turned based or real time, some story driven and some loot driven, some single player some party based. You can check out this tag and take a look around. http://store.steampowered.com/tag/en/Isometric/#p=0&tab=TopSellers

Divinity: Original Sin is a very popular turn based, party based, story driven, isometric RPG. http://store.steampowered.com/app/230230/

Pillars of Eternity will be coming out soon, and will be similar to the early 2000's games like Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale. http://store.steampowered.com/app/291650/

Oh, and Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale both have remasters on Steam.

In other news, Valve will be showing off the final version of the Steam controller, new Steam machines, and a VR headset at GDC. They also announced they have hit 125 million active users, which they define as logged in within the last 30 days.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 24, 2015

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Quest For Glory II posted:

I don't even know what most of the people at Valve do, it's a large studio with tons of employees but they can't all just be pooping around on DOTA items and Steam

Evidently they are too busy revolutionizing PC gaming.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

mr. nobody posted:

Raiding has never been fun; it just seems like over time there are more and more gimmicks and more DPS gates and more timed one shot crap, with longer and longer fights.

My eyes glaze over when I watch a video like that, with so much to keep track of and remember or everybody just wasted another 30-60 minutes of their lives.

The good news is that Binding Coils is basically completely optional and while it is somewhat important plotwise (if you care) its still a "Sidestory" to the main plotline. There is even alternatively ways to get get of equivalent level as Binding Coil (if not exact same stats).

Also, as they add newer levels they make the previous ones easier to complete by giving players optional buffs to various stats.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

I don't even know what most of the people at Valve do, it's a large studio with tons of employees but they can't all just be pooping around on DOTA items and Steam

Making an entire operating system, controller, VR headset, and hardware standard is pret-ty difficult and time consuming!

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

an entire operating system

SteamOS is just the Linux version of Steam running on Debian.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
A lot of times when something becomes popular, it's usually a new twist on a stolen idea from someone that didn't market correctly. See: basically Blizzard's entire library. Minecraft. League of Legends.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

A lot of times when something becomes popular, it's usually a new twist on a stolen idea from someone that didn't market correctly.

So what's the release date on Full-Death: Part 3 by Blizzard? :shepspends:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

A lot of times when something becomes popular, it's usually a new twist on a stolen idea from someone that didn't market correctly. See: basically Blizzard's entire library. Minecraft. League of Legends.

I don't think Linux users WANT it to be marketed.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

League of Legends was similar to DOTA but was still Riot's own work. Valve aren't developing an operating system, they're releasing an existing one with their program pre-installed. For your example to work, League would've had to have been made under the Warcraft 3 engine and blatantly use huge chunks of DOTA scripting.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Thingyman posted:

League of Legends was similar to DOTA but was still Riot's own work. Valve aren't developing an operating system, they're releasing an existing one with their program pre-installed.

That's a real oversimplification of what SteamOS is. It's definitely made off of a Debian base, but they've developed an entirely new suite of software and UI for it. And, if the rumors are true, an entirely new renderer (though they had help on that one.)

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Yeah Valve better be writing DirectX 12 for Linux if they want their boxes to take off.
Also work with lots of studios to mass port games over.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Pirate Jet posted:

Making an entire operating system, controller, VR headset, and hardware standard is pret-ty difficult and time consuming!
I mean... other companies are making the actual hardware..

Also their controller has been in development for like 2 years now, they cant even do that right

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

That's a real oversimplification of what SteamOS is. It's definitely made off of a Debian base, but they've developed an entirely new suite of software and UI for it. And, if the rumors are true, an entirely new renderer (though they had help on that one.)

The desktop UI is just GNOME. I guess they made a custom skin for GNOME.

I haven't heard anything about new graphics libraries or custom drivers for it, though? Do you have details on that?

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Tippis posted:

That's a bit unfair a characterisation of what he did, I feel.

Oh, I dunno...I knew that he was talking about matthew matosis before I even clicked on the youtube link. I like his reviews, don't get me wrong, but he can certainly be pedantic at times.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

mr. nobody posted:

Yup, people say raiding is fun and endgame is the game, but I only really enjoy the MMOs with a fun leveling experience. That's something FFXIV completely lost me on and all the endgame in the world couldn't get me through the first 10 levels.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Thingyman posted:

The desktop UI is just GNOME. I guess they made a custom skin for GNOME.

SteamOS is basically Steam in Big Picture mode. They wrote their own compositing manager based on the horrible xcompmgr to work around horrible X garbage (which Wayland would have given them).

They consulted LunarG and RAD Game Tools to do mesa development for Intel drivers. The rest of the OS development, including the SteamOS updater, was done by Collabora, who based it off of their in-house Debian fork, Singularity.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Got Eidolon. This game is so relaxing.

I never imagined discovering the cause of the mass extinction of the human race would be such a chilled-out endeavor.

Gotta say though, the walking/running speed is a little painful. Fortunately, Cheat Engine cleared that right up!

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Xibanya posted:

Got Eidolon. This game is so relaxing.

I never imagined discovering the cause of the mass extinction of the human race would be such a chilled-out endeavor.

Gotta say though, the walking/running speed is a little painful. Fortunately, Cheat Engine cleared that right up!

Yea lol. Well, just be thankful the region isn't actually 1:1 to scale haha.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Tezzeract posted:

Yup, people say raiding is fun and endgame is the game, but I only really enjoy the MMOs with a fun leveling experience. That's something FFXIV completely lost me on and all the endgame in the world couldn't get me through the first 10 levels.

Oh but in MMO I Prefer, you can totally only play for a few hours a week. Well, assuming you've got a good guild who can set you up and you're online at the right time so you can go on this specific raid. Oh and, you definitely have to buy an additional character slot but that's really not that bad, there's like always a sale. I'll lend you my credit card if you don't want to use yours. Oh and, they totally changed everything about the entire game since the last patch, so it's going to take you a dozen hours to re-learn the vast spreadsheets you need to be competitive. But other than that, it's a lot of fun. Oh and, make sure you keep this wiki up in another window because it's really easy to mess up the item drops and you don't want to waste the six straight hours this raid takes just because you messed some simple algebra right at the end. Oh and, we're going to take you through and help you memorize this sequence because you're going to need to grind the exact same dungeon a few times a week for items because there's seriously nothing else to do until the next expansion drops. But when it does, we can spend more money. And then we'll do all of this again for six more expansions after that. Doesn't that sound great? (vaguely clicks at the screen while pressing hotkeys for 40 hours a week)

:commissar:

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Thingyman posted:

I haven't heard anything about new graphics libraries or custom drivers for it, though? Do you have details on that?

It's apparently a successor to OpenGL.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I would rather sit on my bed swinging a stick and pretend I'm fighting dragons than fight dragons in an MMO.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

gl-next is the work of a lot of people, not just Valve. It's mostly the mobile market finally tipping NVIDIA's iron grip on Khronos over.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Funnypost Collabo posted:

I would rather sit on my bed swinging a stick and pretend I'm fighting dragons than fight dragons in an MMO.

I approve this message.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

gl-next is the work of a lot of people, not just Valve. It's mostly the mobile market finally tipping NVIDIA's iron grip on Khronos over.

That's why I said they had help on that one.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
lmao if you think Valve was/is championing gl-next.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

There have been plenty of leaks and other evidence that a Source 2 has been under development, but in a privately owned company that is completely funded hundreds of times over by the industry at large where people can supposedly work on whatever they want, there's no real reason to rush into anything in particular.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Hey guys have you heard steambox and linux will be great for gaming!

:v:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

glNext is a dumb name and I hope it's not meant to be the API's final name. It's like how we're on the fifth-something "new" super mario bros game.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
Is Backstage Pass http://store.steampowered.com/app/288220 good yeah you're a girl who dates guys but sometimes thats all we want to do in our world want to fight about it? I just want to dress up as a girl and level up ALA star girl on the popular samgsung galaxy phone tablet

this was recommended by the anime waifu collector so I figured it might be good I like the art style and anime dress up

wait a holy poo poo second here 29 dollars? please tell me this game is amazing foor that price!

Meowbot fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Feb 24, 2015

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Gestalt Intellect posted:

glNext is a dumb name and I hope it's not meant to be the API's final name. It's like how we're on the fifth-something "new" super mario bros game.

It's not the final name of it. It's not called GL 5.0 yet because it's a draft that has not been completely ratified yet by Khronos. If they called it GL 5.0 prematurely and end up throwing it out, they'd waste a version number.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

lmao if you think Valve was/is championing gl-next.

:confused:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Gestalt Intellect posted:

What? No.

NSMB on DS
NSMB Wii on Wii
NSMB U on WiiU
NSMB 2 on 3DS

We won't have a 5th until the next Nintendo system

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

mutata posted:

There have been plenty of leaks and other evidence that a Source 2 has been under development, but in a privately owned company that is completely funded hundreds of times over by the industry at large where people can supposedly work on whatever they want, there's no real reason to rush into anything in particular.
If by "leaks and other evidence" you mean "they soft-launched it months ago as an alpha test of their Dota 2 port and it's modding tools" than yeah, there's plenty of signs of Source 2 out there. :)

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Some elaboration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWaG9hOvNn0&t=1885s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Meowbot posted:

Is Backstage Pass http://store.steampowered.com/app/288220 good yeah you're a girl who dates guys but sometimes thats all we want to do in our world want to fight about it? I just want to dress up as a girl and level up ALA star girl on the popular samgsung galaxy phone tablet

this was recommended by the anime waifu collector so I figured it might be good I like the art style and anime dress up

wait a holy poo poo second here 29 dollars? please tell me this game is amazing foor that price!

if Waifu Hunter likes it it's gotta be good

• Locked thread