Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Is it coming out in America? Cause having a healslime sidekick just demands tons and tons of goopid puns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

TurnipFritter posted:

Yeah, there are five original characters. The guy in blue is named Act, the blonde girl is Mar, the big muscly dude is Duke and the bowgun lady in purple is named Juliet. There's also a side kick Heal Slime.

I thought the Heal Slime was Healie from DQ4? :(

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
So is DQ Musou going to be a standard Musou with levels and stages or is it going to be a full fledged rpg with a world map that has Musou combat and level design?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Crimson Harvest posted:

Is it coming out in America? Cause having a healslime sidekick just demands tons and tons of goopid puns.

For right now, keep dreaming.

I'd assume maybe maybe Theatrhythm DQ and Heroes have a better chance of coming out here than DQ7 3DS but still. Square Enix haven't said anything.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Skeezy posted:

I'd assume maybe maybe Theatrhythm DQ and Heroes have a better chance of coming out here than DQ7 3DS but still. Square Enix haven't said anything.

They have said that they have seen enough interest to think about it, but I'll grant you that that's not much.

My solution for porting 7-3DS?

Kickstarter it!

Yes, I'm totally serious. I have a somewhat negative view of Kickstarter in general and have never contributed to a campaign, but I would happily toss in $40 to have that game in a language I can understand. I even have a perfectly functional copy of 7 for the PSX, thanks to Himuro, but I'd still want a 3DS port.

I can read comfortably in three languages and I can fake it in Portuguese and Spanish. All I'm saying is that, for me at least, they've got options.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Crimson Harvest posted:

I'd say it's a high possibility of coming.

Omega Force does just about every Musou release and this is a pretty noticeable game. They've brought over Gundam and One Piece and Fist of North Star Musou, those are all niche of the niche, and Musou fans are a pretty loyal fanbase in that we tend to buy most entries. Koei Tecmo will likely bring it over just like they have other Musou titles.

DQ Thearhythm is the game you should be worried about coming over because S-E is the one that has developed and published that.

Skeezy posted:

For right now, keep dreaming.

S-E likely wouldn't be the ones to bring over DQ Heroes anyways. KT could very well self publish.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 25, 2015

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Oh really? Well that's good. Heroes is the one I'm most interested in. That's good.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

JustJeff88 posted:

I stopped reading after one acerbic goon offered to throw in $5, but people kept posting after that. I'd like to think that I have better things to do than read that nonsense. One of the beauties of the internet is that it is generally very easy to avoid and ignore total wankers (see previous poster).

Anyway, rest assured that I still have Himuro's copy of DQ7 that she so generously gave me, and let's end this derail. This thread has been a ghost town recently, and if it's going to be revitalised it should be with DQ chat, not a bunch of shite.

What I do find funny is that they take the piss out of me for being cheap, then someone spent actual money to give me a derisive title. I'm not going to waste my money changing it... perhaps they're right. :)

drat, you really are an annoying twit.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

They're reusing this joke in Dragon Quest Heroes.

Alltrades is in TDQ, but they haven't said what it does. I'm assuming it's gonna be the same as the Card Crystarium in TFF. (If anyone cares, the name they use for him is "The Hero Solo")

(But that's because CollectaCards are a thing in TDQ)

Instead of getting items by happening across Moogles on FMS, you come across Barrel Triggers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

Instead of getting items by happening across Moogles on FMS, you come across Barrel Triggers.

.. gently caress, I want Theatarhythm: Atelier now.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I made fun of the people who jumped in on the zelda warriors game but gently caress if I'm not going to do the same if it comes to the US.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

TurnipFritter posted:

They're reusing this joke in Dragon Quest Heroes..

Is that Cristo casting Beat unsuccessfully, over and over and over?

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Draile posted:

Is that Cristo casting Beat unsuccessfully, over and over and over?

Yep. :shobon: It's a running gag with all the games he's in.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

.. gently caress, I want Theatarhythm: Atelier now.
More like Theaterhythm: Ar Tonelico. :getin:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Yep. :shobon: It's a running gag with all the games he's in.

Shame the source of the gag took what should've been the best healer by far and made him a huge liability for bosses in the original DQ4. Half the party dead and the other half almost there? Guess I better cast Beast on Necrosaro a few more times! :downs:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Evil Fluffy posted:

Shame the source of the gag took what should've been the best healer by far and made him a huge liability for bosses in the original DQ4. Half the party dead and the other half almost there? Guess I better cast Beast on Necrosaro a few more times! :downs:

It really is a wonder that anyone actually finished that game on the NES.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Some character designs were not meant for the Theatrhythm Style.

Anyway, the names they're using for the main characters in TDQ are:
1: Loto's Descendant
2: Prince of Lorasia
3: The Legendary Hero
4: The Hero Solo
6: The Hero Reck (I assume it's meant to be derived from "Reidock")
8: The Hero Eight
9: The Sentinel Nine
10: Ogre

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Shugojin posted:

It really is a wonder that anyone actually finished that game on the NES.

There's a secret to DW4's AI. If you die on a boss and don't reset like most people tend to do, Cristo gets a little smarter - if he tried to Beat/Defeat a boss and it failed, he won't do it anymore after this tactic gets you murdered. But most people don't see this because you tend to reset after a death since otherwise you lose a lot of money and whatever items you spent in the battle.

Otherwise, one of the main tactics for the last boss is to transform into Cristo yourself.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Yeah, I sometimes forget that a game over in Dragon Quest isn't actually game over. Kind of impressive the AI would actually learn in an NES game though.

SlimeSanction
Oct 21, 2008
Amiami has Slime ice trays for pre-order. I'm getting two so I can use one and put the other in my Slime collection.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Fenrir posted:

There's a secret to DW4's AI. If you die on a boss and don't reset like most people tend to do, Cristo gets a little smarter - if he tried to Beat/Defeat a boss and it failed, he won't do it anymore after this tactic gets you murdered. But most people don't see this because you tend to reset after a death since otherwise you lose a lot of money and whatever items you spent in the battle.

Otherwise, one of the main tactics for the last boss is to transform into Cristo yourself.

You don't lose money if you have the Iron Safe. If you want the Iron Safe, skip it in Chapter 3 and go grab it with the Hero/Nara/Mara since Taloon seems to lose the safe after Chapter 3 in the NES version (fixed in others?).

Really you shouldn't open any chests except the silver statuette and full plate armor ones in Chapter 3 if playing the NES version because the armor and weapons in the statuette cave will help the Hero, Nara, and Mara far more than it helps Taloon.

Passion for Dilbert
Dec 5, 2007

I must say, as someone who never had the opportunity to play any Dragon Quest games outside of the ones released on the DS, the recent releases of the games on iOS is just awesome. I've been really looking forward to playing VIII.

Also, I just got a crit on a metal slime for the first time. :vince:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I'm looking into trying VI; I remember getting to the castle from the prologue when I played the SNES version, but I assume there was a lot more game beyond that, given that Dragon Quest games tend to never end. Any tips for if I get the DS version? Does offensive magic just suck like in the rest of the series?

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Offensive magic in DQVI is especially bad because the class system allows every character to learn abilities that attack a group of enemies or all enemies for 0 MP. However, it is useful in the early game, before you've developed your classes.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

In DQVI Slime Knights and Golem companions can both use a lot of gear the Hero can iirc, so they make good party members.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Draile posted:

Offensive magic in DQVI is especially bad because the class system allows every character to learn abilities that attack a group of enemies or all enemies for 0 MP. However, it is useful in the early game, before you've developed your classes.

Mega Magic. :colbert:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The Job System in VI and VII is kind of annoying honestly because they don't change what the characters can equip so trying to make, say, Ashlynn into a fighter class doesn't really work because she's stuck with Mage equips.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

So Dragon Quest Heroes had the best PR stunt today. :kimchi:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That is the most genius marketing stunt ever.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Someone in Marketing got a new corner office for this. :3:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Thou hast done well in defeating the Bubble Wrap Slime.

Courage and wit have served thee well. Thou hast been promoted to Director of Marketing.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/02/25/dragon-quest-heroes-coming-to-ps4-in-2015/

DQ Heroes coming to North America on the PS4. gently caress yeah.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Absolutely bought day 1.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Please tell me that we're getting the special edition PS4 with it. I've been thinking about buying one and that would send me over the edge.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Adam Bowen posted:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/02/25/dragon-quest-heroes-coming-to-ps4-in-2015/

Oh my God this is the best news. I'm nerding out right now hardcore.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Erg posted:

Please tell me that we're getting the special edition PS4 with it. I've been thinking about buying one and that would send me over the edge.

I hope not, because I already have a PS4 and I could never justify buying another one.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Adam Bowen posted:

I hope not, because I already have a PS4 and I could never justify buying another one.

I can't afford one PS4 period and couldn't justify buying one anyway for 2 games (this one and a baseball game that I fancy), but for those who do take the plunge I hope that they have a cracking good time. I only have a Wii U because my mum bought it for me as a birthday present, which is admittedly somewhat sad at my age.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

JustJeff88 posted:

I can't afford one PS4 period and couldn't justify buying one anyway for 2 games (this one and a baseball game that I fancy), but for those who do take the plunge I hope that they have a cracking good time. I only have a Wii U because my mum bought it for me as a birthday present, which is admittedly somewhat sad at my age.

Get Xenoblade Chronicles X when it comes out.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Adam Bowen posted:

Sweet. I kind of want the PS4, too, but I'm still confused about what the hell the metabble does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Nickoten posted:

Sweet. I kind of want the PS4, too, but I'm still confused about what the hell the metabble does.

Runs away, of course.