Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Lame. None of them in the same room. It's literally phoned in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Mu Zeta posted:

Lame. None of them in the same room. It's literally phoned in.

Which is weird, considering they were all together in the article talking about filming it.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
It still made me smile and reminisce :pray: make more West Wing!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You feta believe it!

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
This thread has been dead a while, but I'm burning through my first watch, and I feel like I need to express somewhere how incredible this show is. After years and years of political thrillers, it's been very refreshing to see an optimistic view of American politics. It's kind of inspiring.

I just started Season 3, with Isaac and Ishmael. I think it's nuts and totally admirable to make a special episode confronting our fear of terrorism just a month or so after 9/11, and it's still totally relevant today what with recent events.

Side note, I was almost positive they were going to make a plotline about CJ getting some kind of brain damage due to hitting her head on the ground, what with her being a little more aloof and silly in most of Season 2. I guess they just decided to write her differently?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
It's a very good show, possibly the best ever made.

I've never noticed the change in CJ, its the first in hearing of it

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

Low Desert Punk posted:

Side note, I was almost positive they were going to make a plotline about CJ getting some kind of brain damage due to hitting her head on the ground, what with her being a little more aloof and silly in most of Season 2. I guess they just decided to write her differently?

I don't think it is brain damage. Out of canon you can chalk it up to the actress getting more comfortable in a difficult role. In canon you can see her becoming more comfortable with the press, her job, and having a major life change in almost dying in an assassination attempt on her boss and later a murderous stalker who killed her love interest. (Mark Harmon)

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

njbeachbum posted:

I don't think it is brain damage. Out of canon you can chalk it up to the actress getting more comfortable in a difficult role. In canon you can see her becoming more comfortable with the press, her job, and having a major life change in almost dying in an assassination attempt on her boss and later a murderous stalker who killed her love interest. (Mark Harmon)

I think it gets mirrored a bit in what one of the (former Clinton?) staffers talks about in the 3rd season special as the three stages of working at the White House:

"Oh God, what am I doing, please just let me not gently caress up the country somehow"
"Oh, ok, I've got this, I know what I can handle and what I need to pawn off on someone else like a dead animal"
"Oh God, this is how the country works?! AND WE'RE STILL ALIVE?!!"

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

njbeachbum posted:

Harmon wasn't shot by the stalker.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

He faked his death in the convenience store and is working for NCIS.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

I'm midway through Season 3 now, and I can really tell that Sam is getting less and less relevant in the narrative. He was basically totally missing for the MS storyline, and he seems to just pop up every so often to complain about things.

It's a bummer, I really like Sam, but I know he leaves the show pretty soon and it makes sense. The episode with his cheating father and the FBI was incredible though.

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx

Low Desert Punk posted:

It's a bummer, I really like Sam, but I know he leaves the show pretty soon and it makes sense. The episode with his cheating father and the FBI was incredible though.

"New York Minute" is one of my favorite uses of music on the show throughout it's entire run. Such a perfect song choice.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Low Desert Punk posted:

I'm midway through Season 3 now, and I can really tell that Sam is getting less and less relevant in the narrative. He was basically totally missing for the MS storyline, and he seems to just pop up every so often to complain about things.

Best part is up until he leaves, his name is first in the credits from memory because hes' the ~star~ (not actually the star)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Aziz Ansari was on Letterman and said Rob Lowe has the craziest mansion he's ever seen. Lowe even named the place the way Thomas Jefferson did Monticello. And he had a huge staff of servants that wore uniforms with the name of his mansion printed on it.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

Aziz Ansari was on Letterman and said Rob Lowe has the craziest mansion he's ever seen. Lowe even named the place the way Thomas Jefferson did Monticello. And he had a huge staff of servants that wore uniforms with the name of his mansion printed on it.

Disappointed the servants aren't dressed as various versions of Rob Lowe.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Happy Valentine's Day, thread.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I was watching Alpha House, and not only does season 2 feature Donna as a tea party senator from North Dakota, but there's also a bit at a GOP retreat where her and another GOP senator, played by Josh, debate how the party should best continue over reacting to Benghazi.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

FISHMANPET posted:

I was watching Alpha House, and not only does season 2 feature Donna as a tea party senator from North Dakota, but there's also a bit at a GOP retreat where her and another GOP senator, played by Josh, debate how the party should best continue over reacting to Benghazi.

Yes, it's amazing.

She is awesome in that show.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Asiina posted:

Yes, it's amazing.

She is responsible for the best thing that show has ever done. And my favorite moment of TV last year. It's great. She's great.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

Just watched the episode where Toby and Charlie get arrested for punching the guy at the bar in OC, and I think this is like the 3rd or 4th time in the show Charlie has kicked/threatened to kick somebody's rear end for honor.

I love how he went from "gee golly mister" in his first appearance to banging chicks on the reg and drinking beers with senior staff in like a year. He might be my favorite character.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
And the time he ran the pool table on Toby.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Remember the time where he marries the President's daughter.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Asiina posted:

Yes, it's amazing.

"Goddamnit, Peg, stop makin' up rights."

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

TheBigBad posted:

Remember the time where he marries the President's daughter.

No. God drat show runners.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I never bought Dule Hill in that role. He's better on Psych playing the goofy guy.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

Charlie is a great character when he actually has something to do, but there are like half-season spells where he just does nothing but walk in and out of the Oval Office.

Matthew Perry's character is really great, but the show seems to have a bad habit of having awesome small characters that immediately vanish.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
I just watched Olympus Has Fallen. I found myself completely offended the entire time because of how many times I've watched The West Wing.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Low Desert Punk posted:

Matthew Perry's character is really great, but the show seems to have a bad habit of having awesome small characters that immediately vanish.

They really should've used more John Larroquette as Chief White House Counsel. Not to say Oliver Platt didn't do an amazing job during the whole MS plot line, but I always enjoyed Larroquette as an actor after watching Night Court as a kid.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
I really want to get my parents into the West Wing but it's really bothering me that the end credits completely ruin the tone of half the episodes. Are there any versions available that have the original broadcast end credits intact.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Can you watch it on netflix so the credits get cut off?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Ravel posted:

I really want to get my parents into the West Wing but it's really bothering me that the end credits completely ruin the tone of half the episodes. Are there any versions available that have the original broadcast end credits intact.

Is there some version other than the original broadcast end credits? The original ones completely ruin the tone of some of the episodes, too.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

thexerox123 posted:

Is there some version other than the original broadcast end credits? The original ones completely ruin the tone of some of the episodes, too.

I think you're both talking about the same end credits. The DVD and Netflix releases use the same jingle, and the only way to avoid it is to anticipate it.

Assuming the West Wing's original broadcast was like most shows, the credits would just be minimized so that the network can show the preview for the following program.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
There's only really five or six episodes in the whole series where the credit music ruins the tone imo. I'd say the cheesiness/colour saturation/hairstyles in season 1 are the biggest hurdle to get over for new viewers.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I didn't watch the series on original broadcast, was the ending credits music a licensed song or something? I can't find it on Youtube.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
No, it's just this really upbeat peppy orchestral number. You can actually hear it in the first few episodes of the series since they weave it into the background music.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Just hit pause when the EP credits come up at the end of the episode. Best you can do I'm afraid.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

The scene where Leo has a heart attack in the woods at Camp David just kind of looks like he's a werewolf and the full moon is out. It's also kind of uncomfortable to watch, knowing what happened to Spencer.

That being said, if Leo was just a werewolf in the last 2 seasons, better show.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

For such a dramatized show, this final election is pretty realistic. The nuclear accident totally wasn't Vinick's fault and he was right about how it shouldn't matter, but that sorta thing really would happen.

They're handling Vinick pretty well in general. They do a good job of making him sympathetic and likable, just on the other side of the aisle. Until the debate, I could see myself voting for him, and I'm a hardcore liberal. Ritchie was just an rear end in a top hat.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Ritchie was also a not so subtle stand in for dubya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

Do you guys think Josh was good at his job? I know each of the senior staffers have duties that largely go unseen, but it seems like Josh fucks up really often compared to everyone else. We know he's incredibly gifted in large-scale political process from what the characters tell us and how he runs the Santos campaign, but it never seemed like he fit very well as DCoS.

• Locked thread