Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah a chef's knife is fine for breaking a chicken down. I would say probably don't use a Japanese one for chicken bones because it's fairly easy to chip them like that but a Victorinox should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I've got plenty of dents in my Tojiro DP gyuto, hasn't stopped it being an amazing knife.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011
You don't have to cut through the wishbone at all. Make some slices above it to find it, then rip it out by hand.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

But cutting through the wishbone is pretty easy anyway, if you want to.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Alternatively, ignore the wishbone, because who cares about the .25 oz of flesh you "lose". It just makes your stock that much better.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I've got plenty of dents in my Tojiro DP gyuto, hasn't stopped it being an amazing knife.

I call mine the tomato skin grabbing upgrade.

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
Can anybody give a recommendation on a 240mm gyuto in the $150 price range? I've been browsing through the options on chefknivestogo and am leaning towards something made with blue #1 or #2 as that seems to have good edge retention compared to white steel. Thoughts?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Tojiro DP. It is the best knife you can get sub $200. Once you want something in the higher dollar ranges, I'd recommend Moritaka.

Also, holy loving poo poo, the CCK large cleaver is $100 now? I got mine about 3 years ago for only $40. Anyone want to buy my CCK off me for $75? >_>

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Tojiro DP. It is the best knife you can get sub $200. Once you want something in the higher dollar ranges, I'd recommend Moritaka.

Also, holy loving poo poo, the CCK large cleaver is $100 now? I got mine about 3 years ago for only $40. Anyone want to buy my CCK off me for $75? >_>
I like how chefknivestogo has managed to add their own layer of confusing cleaver nomenclature on top of CCK's already confusing cleaver nomenclature. What ck2g calls a large CCK isn't even the largest cleaver of that model that CCK makes---for some reason ck2g seems to prefer carrying the #3 version of each CCK cleaver, which is usually the smallest version CCK makes. At least they include the CCK model number in the product details so you can look poo poo up.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Pikey posted:

Can anybody give a recommendation on a 240mm gyuto in the $150 price range? I've been browsing through the options on chefknivestogo and am leaning towards something made with blue #1 or #2 as that seems to have good edge retention compared to white steel. Thoughts?

Well, first off I would not stress too much over steel type, the heat treatment and geometry matter more.

For a recommendation I would get the Masakage Mizu Gyuto 240mm, Masakage knives are very high quality in general and come with really nice edges right out of the box. The Mizu line is their value line and the handle is on the cheaper side but the blade itself should be great, Anryu is a great smith and makes some really nice blades. Do be aware that this is a fully reactive knife and it is hardened to a fairly high level so be careful not to torque the edge too much and always wash and dry it after each use.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
I'm happy with my kohetsu blue #2 gyuto, although I have the 210mm version. It has a western-style handle and is stainless clad if you like that as well

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey where do you guys buy the springs for your edge fauxs?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Steve Yun posted:

I'd take it with me to a hardware store and try various springs they have for sale. Just make sure it's the right diameter and that it's reasonably stiff.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Steve Yun posted:

Mine came with it.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
I've always had lovely off-brand secondhand knives that are super dull and suck to work with. A couple years ago my friend was gifted a really nice Cutco knife set. We've cooked some stuff together and I had a chance to use the knives and the difference was mind-blowing. I've been thinking about getting a nice knife ever since, and tonight I made an impulse-splurge.

http://www.swissknifeshop.com/shop/kitchen/cutlery/chefs-knives/shun-premier-6-chef-s-knife

I got a 6" Shun Premier Chef knife. Can't wait for it to get here.

It's also got a "special price" which is $40 less than both the original listed price and the price on Amazon.

The Amazon reviews were pretty detailed, and it seemed like every third or fourth reply was "this is SCARY sharp" and some variation of "my boss cut his hand open to the fat" and "my boyfriend cut his finger off" and "I've cut myself a hundred times with this." Is it really that dangerous and risky?

I understand that this is razor sharp, but I'm a careful person by nature and I've only cut myself with a knife once, and it wasn't a bad cut. If I'm cautious I'll be fine, right?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Well the usual advice is a dull knife is more dangerous since you're really mashing down on poo poo and accidents can happen easier. Just use regular caution when using a knife and don't try to be some fancy chef and go too fast. Also don't try to catch a knife if you drop it. Another way to think about it is a knife is a sharp thing so both knives will cut you in an accident.

My 3 bad knife accidents were me being a dumbass and had nothing to do with cutting food normally, I don't think I've had a major accident from just chopping food normally.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Koivunen posted:

I understand that this is razor sharp, but I'm a careful person by nature and I've only cut myself with a knife once, and it wasn't a bad cut. If I'm cautious I'll be fine, right?

Not To Be A Dick or Nothing But(tm)! The whole point of this thread, is that anyone who thinks this way is a danger to society, so stop listening to them. Even yourself. Read the thread more.

Here's some reasons why this is a bad way of thinking so that I'm not just a dick telling you to lurk moar:

Think about what your "safe" knife would do if you actually wanted to cut yourself with it. Think how hard you'd have to try, and how messy it would be. Now realize that humans are just as soft as any other protein, so you've been having to press exactly that hard to mangle your food all along. Your food deserves a clean death.

Millions of people, every day, work long hours at jobs that require sharp knives. People in fish markets, cooks, whomever. The vast majority of these people, even working double shifts when they're tired, rarely ever cut themselves. Learn proper technique, and you'll be fine.

There is no one level of sharpness in knives. Some processes require razor-sharp knives, such as delicate slices of soft vegetables. Some processes do better with sturdier blunt knives, such as shucking clams. You want the right tool for the job- and for most kitchen tasks, that's a knife somewhere around an arbitrarily defined 80% as sharp as a blade can possibly be. Someone who's good with a whetstone could probably get those cheap knives that sharp. What matters, is how well the knife retains that edge over time. Mid-range knives like a Shun are very good at holding an edge. The cheapo knives lose their edge instantly, that's why they're always blunt when you find them.

Lots of professional chefs choose Shun because they look good, they keep an edge pretty well, and they cost half or less compared to some of the top-end knives. They will get kitchen-sharp, and stay that way for a sufficient period of time.

If you don't want to cut yourself, keep your knives sharp, and learn proper technique. Stocking blunt knives just means you're pressing into your food harder, so the one time your slip up, you're going straight to the hospital.

e: You want knife technique so you won't cut yourself? Look for some videos of Martin Yan. That guy can cook.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey is this a good deal

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Steve Yun posted:

Hey is this a good deal

http://shun.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/sora-6-pc-block-set

Retail of the 6-piece is $405.

Where the hell is this?

e: \/ Not my favorite Shun set but holy hell.

revdrkevind fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Feb 24, 2015

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Costco.

edit: the 6 piece set is $270 on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Shun-VBS0600-6-Piece-Basic-Block/dp/B00BQ83GPG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424758425&sr=8-1&keywords=shun+sora+set

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Koivunen posted:

I've always had lovely off-brand secondhand knives that are super dull and suck to work with. A couple years ago my friend was gifted a really nice Cutco knife set. We've cooked some stuff together and I had a chance to use the knives and the difference was mind-blowing. I've been thinking about getting a nice knife ever since, and tonight I made an impulse-splurge.

http://www.swissknifeshop.com/shop/kitchen/cutlery/chefs-knives/shun-premier-6-chef-s-knife

I got a 6" Shun Premier Chef knife. Can't wait for it to get here.

It's also got a "special price" which is $40 less than both the original listed price and the price on Amazon.

The Amazon reviews were pretty detailed, and it seemed like every third or fourth reply was "this is SCARY sharp" and some variation of "my boss cut his hand open to the fat" and "my boyfriend cut his finger off" and "I've cut myself a hundred times with this." Is it really that dangerous and risky?

A dull knife is much more dangerous because you have to press hard to push through food and when the knife does start moving it tends to jerk forward and you can end up stabbing yourself. Just respect the knife and be careful not to torque the edge, use the knife on frozen food or really hard stuff like chocolate.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Steve Yun posted:

Hey is this a good deal

*shun set*

If you don't have anything at all yet, or are just starting to purchase a decent set of knives then yeah it's a good deal. If you already have a proper chef's knife and paring knife then no it's not so great. The extra stuff is really just that - extra.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I'd rather have a $150 gyuto, a $70 petty, and a $50 paring knife.

electricmonk500
May 6, 2007
As someone who uses a gyuto for everything, what do you use the petty knife for that the paring knife can't do? Just curious.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
For whatever it's worth, when I went from random lovely knives to sharp Wusthofs, I definitely had many more nicks and cuts. I'm not quite dumb enough to put my hand in the path of the blade or cut toward myself, but it was happening when I'd go to pick it up, when I was washing it, stuff like that. If you brush against a dull knife, nothing happens, but if you brush against a sharp one you'll be covered in blood with no clue what happened. I've never had a major stitches-level accident, but I do think the difference is something to be aware of.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Koivunen posted:

This discussion has gotten kind of strange, but there are "right" ways to hold and use a kitchen knife, and you should learn them. Most home cooks don't do it properly, and the risk of injury is increased. Knives are sharp and injuries are always possible, but the reason proper technique is proper technique is because it minimizes the risk of injury.

Look up some kitchen knife skills on YouTube and be careful, and you won't have much trouble. Take your time and don't rush, speed will come on its own with practice.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

electricmonk500 posted:

As someone who uses a gyuto for everything, what do you use the petty knife for that the paring knife can't do? Just curious.

If you've every had to cut a case of anything small, Brussels, mushrooms, etc. A petty is so much faster.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

guppy posted:

This discussion has gotten kind of strange, but there are "right" ways to hold and use a kitchen knife, and you should learn them. Most home cooks don't do it properly, and the risk of injury is increased. Knives are sharp and injuries are always possible, but the reason proper technique is proper technique is because it minimizes the risk of injury.

Look up some kitchen knife skills on YouTube and be careful, and you won't have much trouble. Take your time and don't rush, speed will come on its own with practice.

I am aware of using proper technique, my friend who originally introduced me to nice knives is a sous chef and has taught me some skills. I've also looked into it myself. Not saying I'm an expert or anything but I know the basics.

My question came from the fact that the amazon reviews I was reading seemed to include both "I am a chef" or "I have a lot of experience" followed by "I cut myself a lot" and "it's scary sharp." The review with the worst injury came from a guy who brought it to his work in a kitchen and the head chef was using it and cut the palm of his hand deep enough that fat was coming out.

It just seemed surprising that so many reviews were from people who claim to be experienced but end up cutting themselves. Obviously the more time you spend using a knife the more likely you are to get a cut, but it was strange how many of the reviews were about getting cut from people who should have good technique. It just seemed weird.

Anyway thanks for the advice, I will look into the stuff that was linked!

Koivunen fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 24, 2015

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!

Koivunen posted:

My question came from the fact that the amazon reviews I was reading seemed to include both "I am a chef" or "I have a lot of experience" followed by "I cut myself a lot" and "it's scary sharp." The review with the worst injury came from a guy who brought it to his work in a kitchen and the head chef was using it and cut the palm of his hand deep enough that fat was coming out.

It just seemed surprising that so many reviews were from people who claim to be experienced but end up cutting themselves. Obviously the more time you spend using a knife the more likely you are to get a cut, but it was strange how many of the reviews were about getting cut from people who should have good technique. It just seemed weird.

"I am a chef" or "I have a lot of experience" in an Amazon review might as well translate to "I am a weekend assistant manager at Carl's Jr. and I watch a lot of Hell's Kitchen". I don't even know how you would slice the palm of your hand open that badly if you were using the knife safely but I'm picturing the guy using his employee's brand new Shun to pry frozen burger patties apart and karma intervening to give him what he deserved.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Koivunen posted:

I am aware of using proper technique, my friend who originally introduced me to nice knives is a sous chef and has taught me some skills. I've also looked into it myself. Not saying I'm an expert or anything but I know the basics.

I got my parents a 10" Shun because all their knives loving sucked. Mother (who cooks) was so used to dull rear end knives that she sliced her finger/palm like 4 times and cut father once somehow.

After a few weeks those cuts stopped, and a few years later the knife is now dull.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Rockzilla posted:

"I am a chef" or "I have a lot of experience" in an Amazon review might as well translate to "I am a weekend assistant manager at Carl's Jr. and I watch a lot of Hell's Kitchen". I don't even know how you would slice the palm of your hand open that badly if you were using the knife safely but I'm picturing the guy using his employee's brand new Shun to pry frozen burger patties apart and karma intervening to give him what he deserved.

Yeah, there is almost a zero percent chance of cutting your palm if you are using a knife properly so you have to assume he was doing something stupid.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Koivunen posted:

I use knives far sharper than any Shun and I have cut myself a grand total of once, a slight nick on my thumb from the heel of the knife when I was cleaning it and being careless, I have no formal training and I am a home cook. I'm pretty sure you'll be ok unless I am some undiscovered knife genius.(I'm not)

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

electricmonk500 posted:

I use mine as sort of a non singletasker honesuki

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Koivunen posted:

The review with the worst injury came from a guy who brought it to his work in a kitchen and the head chef was using it and cut the palm of his hand deep enough that fat was coming out.

This injury would have happened regardless of the knife involved. I'm more inclined to think it's just Amazon reviewers cracking jokes.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 24, 2015

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I have pretty decent technique. I never cut myself when I'm really concentrating. What really happens is that I get distracted, or am in a hurry, or something and that's when mistakes happen. Humans gonna human

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I always feel like I'm going to cut myself when I use a paring knife with the standard in-hand paring knife grip. Are there any safety tricks to this so that I don't get a knife in my thumb?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I just cut myself a few days ago for the first time in at least 5 years. I was doing something dumb while cutting up some onions and made a little 2mm skin flap in my index finger.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I am a professional cook and all I want to say is that if you handle your knife carefully and with proper technique, at worst you'll get small nicks on the tips of your fingers sometimes (and usually only if you're in a rush which you shouldn't be if you're cooking at home).

Just don't do stupid poo poo like try to catch it midair if it falls, leave it lying under or behind something so it isn't easily visible, etc. Use common sense, use proper technique, move slow until you are confident. Be aware of where your fingers are at all times.

If someone manages to gash their palm open they did something very wrong. Probably cutting a soft fruit while holding it in their hand and then moving the knife instead of moving the fruit on the knife and the blade sliced right through that poo poo and into their palm.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

So far I've not hurt myself on a sharp knife, just dull ones. As other posters have said, you have to use more pressure with a dull knife, so you have less control over the blade if and when it slips, and more force behind it. It's also more likely to slip in the first place!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

It's one thing if you're a pro chef and/or you do this every day and what not, but my experience as a fairly new, and somewhat infrequent (like, 3 times a week on average), cook matches this:

Anne Whateley posted:

For whatever it's worth, when I went from random lovely knives to sharp Wusthofs, I definitely had many more nicks and cuts. I'm not quite dumb enough to put my hand in the path of the blade or cut toward myself, but it was happening when I'd go to pick it up, when I was washing it, stuff like that. If you brush against a dull knife, nothing happens, but if you brush against a sharp one you'll be covered in blood with no clue what happened. I've never had a major stitches-level accident, but I do think the difference is something to be aware of.

I haven't cut myself in a while but that's 99% because my knife has dulled and I haven't bothered to sharpen it yet. Plenty of times when it should have cut me yet again.

• Locked thread