Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

SpartanIV posted:

That is going to be one fancy Settlers of Catan board.

You're goddamn right it will be!

SaltLick posted:

depending on how labor intensive and such you could probably make a killing selling those at cons

Nah, this thing is taking like 2 weeks, minimum. I just wanted to have a really nice board for myself, that wouldn't shift around all to hell when someone bumps the table. Eventually each hex will have a painted clay inset. Right now I'm just caught up in the endless cycle waiting for varnishes, stains, and glues to dry before I can do anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

bunnielab posted:

I tried safety razors on an off for years and never found anything as efficient and blood/burnless the the good old Mach3. I accidentally discovered that Nivea Sensitive Skin Aftershave lotion actually works better then any shaving cream/soap I had tried as well. I really wanted to like the idea of old timey shaving but it was just inferior all around.

If you have an irritation problem, try out Bump Patrol, it's the best aftershave I've ever used, especially if you have trouble with ingrown hair.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I couldn't find a ring box I liked so I bought a big block of macassar ebony and some aluminium and then I bought some beers for a man with a 9 axis mill and gave him a 3D file.

The end grain's not amazing but it's basically mirror flat irl. It'll be lined with the velvet it's sat on which looks great as a backdrop for the platinum.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Bape Culture posted:

I couldn't find a ring box I liked so I bought a big block of macassar ebony and some aluminium and then I bought some beers for a man with a 9 axis mill and gave him a 3D file.

The end grain's not amazing but it's basically mirror flat irl. It'll be lined with the velvet it's sat on which looks great as a backdrop for the platinum.

She's going to have a great looking box :mrgw:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Coffee And Pie posted:

If you have an irritation problem, try out Bump Patrol, it's the best aftershave I've ever used, especially if you have trouble with ingrown hair.

Thanks, but the "change out the cartridge more than once a month" and using the Nivea stuff has been working great.

In terms of recent purchases, I bought some more of these dumb things:

I got Chartreuse Sparkle!

Spring cannot get here loving soon enough.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

kannonfodder posted:

Considering that's a scene from days of future past where quicksilver is talking to magneto, yes.

:doh:

Thought it looked familiar but I couldn't tell that was Magneto. Thought it was a gif from the Whiplash movie (which I haven't seen).

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

I thought of two other things in less than a second before reading the word fishing.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Daimo posted:

I thought of two other things in less than a second before reading the word fishing.

Your first thought was 'dildos'. Wasn't it?

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

woot fatigue posted:

Yeah I'm still figuring out the best way to tie a narrow tie.

Your tie looks like poo poo because the knot is way too loose. It looks super sloppy. Tie knots look best when they are fat, plump and bulging from how tight they are. :cmon: Tighten that knot up!

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

spog posted:

Second. The first was smilies which is hard to imagine, but I was seeing it through peripheral vision while reading the post on my phone.

But yeah thank God!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Daimo posted:

Hah, come on man, these are the erotic lures:

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Present posted:

Your tie looks like poo poo because the knot is way too loose. It looks super sloppy. Tie knots look best when they are fat, plump and bulging from how tight they are. :cmon: Tighten that knot up!

Even tightened, it looks like that'd be a pretty big knot. I'd try something a little smaller, like a Pratt or Nicky knot.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

spog posted:

The real question is what was the second

Edit: dammit.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

8€ thrift store score. It's a Flambo, so it's made to sit on for a lot of consecutive hours on a factory floor or something. It's super comfortable while nudging you gently to sit up right. The back tilts left and right with you as you lean, which feels really natural. Now I wish all my chairs would do that.

The vinyl and the cushions are in an amazing state for a chair that's at the very least over 15 years old. Can't seem to pin down an exact age though. Surprisingly difficult to find any information on the French manufacturer beyond some pictures of the original version featuring this type of back support from the thirties.

It's not exactly a modernist classic, but a great, functional chair that doesn't look as butt ugly as most of today's ergonomic office chairs. At that price, I'm more than happy.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug
Just ordered a Surface Pro 3 plus the keyboard (mine is purple) and a case. Got a big discount through my boyfriend's company. He should be getting one soon too to test out for use for his team at work.

I'm very excited. I don't have a laptop or a tablet anymore, so being able to do stuff on the go again will be great. Also: drawing! Waiting 3-7 days for it to ship to me is going to be agony.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I think my beer is judging me...

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

CrackSpider posted:

Just ordered a Surface Pro 3 plus the keyboard (mine is purple) and a case. Got a big discount through my boyfriend's company. He should be getting one soon too to test out for use for his team at work.

I'm very excited. I don't have a laptop or a tablet anymore, so being able to do stuff on the go again will be great. Also: drawing! Waiting 3-7 days for it to ship to me is going to be agony.

I also just got one of these too! Core i5, 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM, dark blue type cover. It was kinda frustrating at first, but the more I learn how to use Windows 8 with touch things, the more I love it!

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

Geology posted:

I also just got one of these too! Core i5, 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM, dark blue type cover. It was kinda frustrating at first, but the more I learn how to use Windows 8 with touch things, the more I love it!

I wish the battery life on these was better, I think the next iteration will be pretty good though.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Got this audiobook called The Other Side of History. A series of lectures about what life was like for ordinary people in ancient and middle age times.

The stories that revolve around the famous historical icons usually don't stray far from war and politics. But learning the details about the average citizens daily lives reveals some interesting insights into their culture.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Android Bicyclist posted:

I think my beer is judging me...

You should hold on to a few of those.

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

ChocNitty posted:

Got this audiobook called The Other Side of History. A series of lectures about what life was like for ordinary people in ancient and middle age times.

The stories that revolve around the famous historical icons usually don't stray far from war and politics. But learning the details about the average citizens daily lives reveals some interesting insights into their culture.

It's a great course. Definitely one of my favorites.

Picked up a new Dopp kit, shaving cream, and a book:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

strangemusic posted:

You should hold on to a few of those.

Why? My local grocery store regularly stocks it & I don't need a reminder of how low my self-esteem is.
Content:

2 external hard drives.

7-port USB3 hub.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Why? My local grocery store regularly stocks it & I don't need a reminder of how low my self-esteem is.

AB-InBev (owners of Budweiser) bought Elysian. I don't imagine that they'll keep a product on shelves that says "corporate beer still sucks" on the label.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I bought some new wheels for my car.

The stock ones were shedding chrome at an alarming rate. They were never in balance and constantly leaked air. These will look awesome too.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CrackSpider posted:

I have a 1st gen Surface and it's pretty cool.

Only real downside for me is they took the scribd app off the windows store, so I can't read comic books on it through scribd :smith:

That being said, it's a pretty incredible facebook/twitter/ebay/email machine.

Only weird god damned thing about it is you cannot just hook it up via USB and transfer poo poo from computer to it. Very odd.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

7-port USB3 hub.

Somebody isn't loving around anymore.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Content:

2 external hard drives.

7-port USB3 hub.

I like that the hub isn't any bigger than it needs to be. But why are there switches for each port? I've never seen a hub with that feature.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

BobFossil posted:

ahh. I have one, hows it going?

I like it. Inexpensive, acceptable latency, decent sound. My only wish would be that it were possible to switch the phantom power on and off for each XLR input individually.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I like that the hub isn't any bigger than it needs to be. But why are there switches for each port? I've never seen a hub with that feature.

I have no idea. Even more fun when I accidentally hit one of the switches to the port that my old external hard drive was connected to while I was transferring files. :mad:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

6 month old windshield, and I noticed a tiny rock strike on the way home this morning :arghfist:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Picked up this inexpensive starter telescope to introduce the cosmos to my kids. I've never done any astronomy whatsoever so it'll be a fun journey for me as well. Looked like a stupid deal to pass up for what the reviews say is the best one to get started on. Can't wait for the weather to turn to start!

Also, grabbed a 'free' Lumia 635 from Cricket to play around with Windows Phone while my Sony Z3C goes in for a warranty repair (microSD card keeps popping out) to see what the platform is like. Should be a solid backup phone in any event.

Also booked next winters family vacation. SPG re-categorized many of their properties and it'd cost me an additional 8,000 points if I didn't do it now.

The Westin Lagunamar, Cancun

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

TraderStav posted:

Picked up this inexpensive starter telescope to introduce the cosmos to my kids. I've never done any astronomy whatsoever so it'll be a fun journey for me as well. Looked like a stupid deal to pass up for what the reviews say is the best one to get started on. Can't wait for the weather to turn to start!

Can you give me a link to this, my daughter is really into space right now and has been bugging me about a telescope.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

FishBulb posted:

Can you give me a link to this, my daughter is really into space right now and has been bugging me about a telescope.

Sure, my mistake for not including it up front. It was $10 cheaper yesterday:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M8YYTQ2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have any recommendations for a camcorder?

My friend is looking to start filming stuff (reviews, etc of items) and he's looking for a decent camcorder anywhere from 50$ up to maybe 200$, but neither he not I really understand much about em.

Basically we're just looking for something that does decent focus in normal light indoors, with the ability to focus probably a foot or two in front of the camera.

Used is fine, we're just kinda lost cause it seems like every review is "OH GOD YOU NEED THIS 1700$ CAMERA THAT DOES 1080p 60fps WITH NIGHTVISION FOR YOUR NEXT OSCAR MOVIE" and he's just looking for something to film poo poo in his tool room.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

My friend is looking to start filming stuff (reviews, etc of items) and he's looking for a decent camcorder anywhere from 50$ up to maybe 200$, but neither he not I really understand much about em.

Basically we're just looking for something that does decent focus in normal light indoors, with the ability to focus probably a foot or two in front of the camera.

Used is fine, we're just kinda lost cause it seems like every review is "OH GOD YOU NEED THIS 1700$ CAMERA THAT DOES 1080p 60fps WITH NIGHTVISION FOR YOUR NEXT OSCAR MOVIE" and he's just looking for something to film poo poo in his tool room.

Same question here. My mom wants one just to capture her little terriers "MMA fighting". I checked Amazon and considered a GoPro. I only know those as extreme sports, attach this bitch to a drone, cameras. I never considered it as a handheld but it's probably fine for capturing dogs wrestling. It would be some outdoor, some indoor with normal/low light.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

ChocNitty posted:

Loved this one.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Any of the Olympus Pen micro 4/3 cameras should do the trick. I picked mine up for around $200 and it shoots some amazing video. You might want to record sound using your smart phone or an external mic though.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

strangemusic posted:

AB-InBev (owners of Budweiser) bought Elysian. I don't imagine that they'll keep a product on shelves that says "corporate beer still sucks" on the label.

And Sub Pop is a subsidy of Warner Music Group. But don't let that kill the anti-corporate edge.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

strangemusic posted:

If it's anything like their purchase of Goose Island, they won't really change anything, just rake in more profit and up the distribution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

strangemusic posted:

Budweiser also ran a superbowl ad about how "Micro Brew Beer Sucks", so I wouldn't be surprised if they allow it. Feign a rivarly and collect $$$ from customers either way!