Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

I hate playing as the Wraith against a team with Daisy because I'm always accidentally abducting that loving dog instead of someone important. Hard counter too strong gg Turtle Fraud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Strontosaurus posted:

I hate playing as the Wraith against a team with Daisy because I'm always accidentally abducting that loving dog instead of someone important. Hard counter too strong gg Turtle Fraud.

I mean while you have her might as well kill her right? Pet the doggie.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I had a great game as Abe against a (probably not great) Wraith. Got a lucky dart in early on, then we stayed clumped together so with Caira + support we were invisibly adrenaline-ing to cut homegirl off. Stasis grenades make landing domes easier, then once in the dome the darts make it a lot easier for everyone to follow and keep damage going. You can hurt a trapped stage 1 Wraith a lot. Soon as the dome was coming up, more darts in for tracking, stasis grenades hucked ahead, and another camo + adrenaline round made it no problem to keep up. The invisible sped up clump of hunters with the jetpack perk and spamming stasis grenades and tracking darts (and maybe dust too) can make the game extremely frustrating for any monster once you're seen.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006

DaveKap posted:

See, this is pretty much what I think of it too except to a further extreme. From my perspective, if the opponent is a wraith, the hunters should just chill at the power relay the entire game running in circles. With a team that plays its class, a full health/full armor wraith will just melt away as soon as the win timer is egging them on to attack the relay. Running in circles means they can't be abducted, knowing to ignore a blinky wraith means knowing to just dodge it and attack elsewhere, seeing supernova dome and dodging out of it means saving a lot of health, and the warp blast has a long enough tell that you can dodge that as well.

That being said, wraith breaks the game because the only worthwhile time to "hunt" it is by letting it hit 3 and get to the generator. Being in any other part of the map means it will always have an easy escape and always have the opportunity to abduct tactically even if your whole team is together. This, in turn, means a tracker's tracking ability and dome are just useless all game so now you've got a class being a 1-track-mind piece of poo poo with the light exception of Daisy's ability to pick friends up. Yawn.

would be hilarious if it became an unspoken rule to just go and sit at the gen when playing vs a wraith. oh well, im glad the cooldown for abandoning a match is only 60 seconds.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Just like any multiplayer game, you should really be playing this game with friends and staying in almost constant voice contact. In normal team-based games you can get away with a lack of coordination because the other team is presumably just as bungling. However, in an asymmetric game like this, the monster is effectively a team with perfect coordination. This is how the game has to be balanced otherwise hunters would always win in upper-level play. If you're losing a lot as a hunter, it's because you lack discipline.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I really want to like this game but it just feels like such a clusterfuck. On both single and multiplayer. Granted I've only put a few hours in and maybe a dozen matches, it's still really disappointing to get rocked continuously as hunters and lose because the monster is really good or your team is really disorganized. There's just way too much to keep track of and the controls feel way more clunkier than they should. I can't really get into it and regret even getting a deal on it with my Gamestop credit.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Having experienced it personally today, this is why the Wraith is dumb.

If you can make a Trapper blow their signature ability at point blank and it can still say 'Nah, don't feel like it mate.' and get out, that's just not right, because it means effectively it can decide when to fight entirely, regardless of what the Hunters do.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Abe chat: He seems to be the most shakey hunter of the trio. He's way less consistent than both Maggie and Griffin, but once you have found the monster, he's really powerful. I think that if he was made MORE consistent in his ability to find the monster early on then he would just be incredibly overpowered. I'm not convinced that his ability to tag the monster for such long periods of time makes up for his problems against good (stealthy) players in the early game. My own experience playing against Abe is that the hunters rarely find me until i'm stage 3, or very nearly there. I think he could be improved (and still kept relatively balanced) if he somehow could have an easier time finding the monster earlier on, but had his tracking dart duration shortened dramatically. What do you think?

Mairn
Jan 6, 2011
Honestly I find playing against the Wraith fine. Trapping it is nowhere near as bad as people here are making it out to be, its just a matter of baiting the warps and dividing into groups of 2. Stay split up so he can't cleave everyone down, dodge out of supernova, and kill it. Since hitting the level 25+ range on PC, players have been good enough to find and kill the Wraith in stage 1 and 2 often enough that I no longer find it a particularly difficult matchup. If you somehow don't manage to catch it at all (either you aren't anticipating its movements, or aren't splitting up enough) its pretty easy to kill at Stage 3 with a fairly coordinated group of hunters.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Same, I sort of prefer fighting the wraith sometimes because when you do catch it even at stage 3 you can just smash it so fast. A lot of problems people have with fighting wraith are gonna be solved by remembering that you're fighting a wraith and not one of the others. It requires you change your playstyle a little but I wouldn't call it more difficult, just different.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
e: ^ gasp! It's almost as if the hunters need to switch up tactics based off of the monster selection! The amount of pubbies that just paintbynumbers their whole gameplan kill 3-mans I'll run in all the time.

Wraith is no more difficult than other monsters if you're playing with friends (and aren't sucklords). If you're pubbing it up and not the monster why are you playing Evolve? I think that's one of the biggest :smith: things about the game: It's 9timesoutof10 a terrible experience to solo queue or even duo queue. I really don't want this game to die in three months because of that.

e: The loving MISSED YOUR DOME! tooltip is so loving inconsistent I swear to God.

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 24, 2015

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
those were some cool posts about winning vs wraith but heres the thing, that's not the main problem with the wraith, the problem is the wraith is annoying and boring to play against, I probably have the same winrate vs it as all other monsters but i enjoy playing vs the other monsters a lot more.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

e: The loving MISSED YOUR DOME! tooltip is so loving inconsistent I swear to God.

Like most tooltips, it isn't meant to be a blind tell, it's there to help newbies. Once you hit a few times, it goes away until you miss a few times in a row.

Mairn
Jan 6, 2011
I find some Goliath matches as boring, if not more boring, than equally skilled Wraiths. Just a matter of opinion.
I almost always play with pubs as well, not coordinated groups. They don;t even need to have a microphone, keep the map open and direct the pubs. They will usually take directions. Get the trapper running to where the wraith will show up, and chase the wraith to that location. They will use their traversals / decoy to escape and get nailed by the dome they just ran in to range of.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Mairn posted:

I find some Goliath matches as boring, if not more boring, than equally skilled Wraiths. Just a matter of opinion.
I almost always play with pubs as well, not coordinated groups. They don;t even need to have a microphone, keep the map open and direct the pubs. They will usually take directions. Get the trapper running to where the wraith will show up, and chase the wraith to that location. They will use their traversals / decoy to escape and get nailed by the dome they just ran in to range of.

Or the wraith will be a bit quicker than you anticipated and eat your hunter alive before they can react - or even right after they drop the bubble! Then the dog. Then the people that show up one by one. (The latter half doesn't always happen but often enough that I still enjoy it.)

A huge part of murdering the wraith effectively is to find a good place to dome him.

If there is -any- significant part of the map where the wraith can break LOS with the hunters in the dome area, you are mostly going to be wasting your time. God help you if its in one of those zones that has a fully fledged corridor the wraith can duck in and out of.

Out in the open with no cover is a horrible place for wraith to get caught. The moment I can hide behind something for even a few seconds, it buys me another half dozen after popping decoy to relocate, maybe find and eat some errant animal for armor, and resume lurking just out of sight.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 24, 2015

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Stasis grenades and high ground, yo.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Liu posted:

those were some cool posts about winning vs wraith but heres the thing, that's not the main problem with the wraith, the problem is the wraith is annoying and boring to play against, I probably have the same winrate vs it as all other monsters but i enjoy playing vs the other monsters a lot more.
This goes hand in hand with what I posted last page. The wraith has the majority of control over when it wants to be in a fight until the countdown timer asks them to please destroy the objective. This leads to one of the four following scenarios:
1- Dumb Hunters, Dumb Wraith = Balanced match because nobody knows what they're doing anyway.
Balance
2- Smart Hunters, Dumb Wraith = Wraith dies because it gets tracked, thinks it can do good enough damage before Stage 3, or hits Stage 3 and melts at the objective.
Wraith Loses
3- Dumb Hunters, Smart Wraith = Wraith either picks everyone off before it even hits Stage 2 or wraith just stays at Stage 2 and scares the poo poo out of everyone as it proceeds on its murder spree.
Wraith Wins
4- Smart Hunters, Smart Wraith = Wraith stays at Stage 2 and tries to pick everyone off letting his shields indicate when he decides the battle begins and ends but this is the most long, drawn out, annoying match ever.
Balanced but boring as gently caress

As more and more people become smart, balance gives way to boredom when the Wraith gets picked.

Evilreaver posted:

Like most tooltips, it isn't meant to be a blind tell, it's there to help newbies. Once you hit a few times, it goes away until you miss a few times in a row.
My only issue with this is the fact that your hunter will sometimes actually call out whether or not you trapped the beast, so knowing it without actually knowing it happens too randomly for consistent gameplay. Either have the character know or don't; pick one and stick to it.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 24, 2015

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Decoy also fucks with the sound cues for the dome which is really great and not confusing at all.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006

DaveKap posted:

My only issue with this is the fact that your hunter will sometimes actually call out whether or not you trapped the beast, so knowing it without actually knowing it happens too randomly for consistent gameplay. Either have the character know or don't; pick one and stick to it.

I was thinking that this might be based on LOS of the monster, like when your characters call out if they can see it in the distance

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

teh_Broseph posted:

Stasis grenades and high ground, yo.

This. I don't even think the Wraith is overpowered, just annoying.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
that feel when Evolve averages 8k people at its daily peak now lmfao....

that feel when its #30 on the played games list and falling daily

:yikes:

can't believe people spent money on this free to play turd!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

"let's charge 60 dollars for l4d3 and even more if people want the privilege of using all the characters"

"hey why isnt anyone on anymore"

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Bobnumerotres posted:

"let's charge 60 dollars for l4d3 and even more if people want the privilege of using all the characters"

There are no DLC characters currently. You guys are still stupid.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Slow day in the old imp zone.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I heard that unless you buy the $100 package plus the season pass the game only runs in 256 colors c/d

Nevermind I'll just keep repeating it until it's true :smuggo:

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm not joking about the numbers. Sorry for your loss.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
496,909 1,263,992 Dota 2
101,660 454,373 Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
37,831 88,480 Team Fortress 2
23,275 59,075 Sid Meier's Civilization V
18,877 53,179 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
18,752 65,148 Garry's Mod
16,334 73,802 Football Manager 2015
13,566 27,544 H1Z1
12,995 27,675 Warframe
8,800 37,807 Arma 3
8,196 28,760 DayZ
8,024 26,232 Total War: ATTILA
7,903 22,206 Robocraft
7,568 21,748 War Thunder
7,180 34,271 Counter-Strike
7,048 24,158 Total War: ROME II - Emperor Edition
6,366 16,718 Terraria
5,975 13,413 Left 4 Dead 2
5,786 12,397 The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
5,248 21,942 Space Engineers
5,189 15,847 Rust
5,009 21,737 Counter-Strike: Source
4,924 17,315 Unturned
4,722 13,285 Borderlands 2
4,716 13,726 PAYDAY 2
4,346 14,397 Mount & Blade: Warband
4,300 15,513 Dying Light
4,275 9,924 Starbound
4,034 11,188 Evolve

:yikes:

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
I too enjoy numbers with no labels or context!

I assume those are min/max numbers for the last 24 hours?

EDIT: Nope, current/peak.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006

Bobnumerotres posted:

thats so cute that you arranged to post together. :3:

epic troll team engage!!!

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
No no, he's right, out of all those thousands of people playing it's impossible to get five people together anymore. We should probably give up and go home, I'm having to wait a full minute to matchmake sometimes. :saddowns:

Does anyone playing on PC have a sound issue where sometimes (I can't tell if something specific is causing it to start) everything slowly but steadily gets crackly and poppy until your sound is garbage and sounds like someone crinkling up tinfoil on a pop filter for a microphone? Alt-tabbing fixes it but it seems to happen at the worst moments where alt-tabbing would gently caress the team and well :v:

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

No no, he's right, out of all those thousands of people playing it's impossible to get five people together anymore. We should probably give up and go home, I'm having to wait a full minute to matchmake sometimes. :saddowns:

the game hasn't been out a month and it has less people playing it than 30 other games, including borderlands 2 and left 4 dead 2.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Liu posted:

thats so cute that you arranged to post together. :3:

epic troll team engage!!!

go back to neogaf

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Hello everyone please stop having fun playing this game because not many people play it thanks.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Current Players 3,309 Peak 8,471 - Fallout: New Vegas

Current Players 3,862 Peak 11,188 - Evolve

DLC is the future.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!
Reddit told me not to like this game because reasons :goonsay:

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
it year 2015 of our lord and savior jesus christ, and people in Games still freak out when they are not allowed to build a hugbox

jsr v2.0
Jun 26, 2004
japanese seisure robots

Grey Fox V2 posted:

Reddit told me not to like this game because reasons :goonsay:

what no you're on somethingawful.com

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

RottenK posted:

it year 2015 of our lord and savior jesus christ, and people in Games still freak out when they are not allowed to build a hugbox

What about a pillow fort, can we build that?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I will say that any game that falls below Starbound is a sad game :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
How is this a hugbox? I know that the point is just to come in here and troll not to read but we've been bitching up a storm about balance for the last two pages.

Gunder posted:

Abe chat: He seems to be the most shakey hunter of the trio. He's way less consistent than both Maggie and Griffin, but once you have found the monster, he's really powerful. I think that if he was made MORE consistent in his ability to find the monster early on then he would just be incredibly overpowered. I'm not convinced that his ability to tag the monster for such long periods of time makes up for his problems against good (stealthy) players in the early game. My own experience playing against Abe is that the hunters rarely find me until i'm stage 3, or very nearly there. I think he could be improved (and still kept relatively balanced) if he somehow could have an easier time finding the monster earlier on, but had his tracking dart duration shortened dramatically. What do you think?

Sounds like you're not abing correctly. It's true that he's a giant buttlord once you have someone tagged, and that the price for that is getting the first tag. You should expect the monster to get to stage 2 a lot of the time before you get a dart in him, but you should be zooming around darting the gently caress out of wildlife and killing all the big/albinos you see. You want to deny him food that isn't going to track him. I like to either dart up a large area or a long map crossing strip and then run around in areas you haven't darted as thoroughly trying to flush him into dart land. Eventually he'll eat one and then it's on. If you don't know where the mosnter is, always be darting.

He's also probably the best in combat. Stasis grenades are massively annoying if your movement abilities are down and can buy hunters extra seconds in a very large aoe. Against wraith you make supernova a mire, kraken can't fly, and goliath pretty much doesn't care. The shotgun is the best trapper weapon by far, and the darts can help if the monster is in oshi hide mode, plus a fresh dart as the dome goes down means that the moster can't get the usual distance and disengage to either evolve or armor up again, he has to run for his life and maybe eat one or two things on the way.

• Locked thread