Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So in the Marvel universe who is the ultimate most powerful big baddie? Peal away the dozen curtains with the stronger villains behind each one, whose at the end? Is there a simple hierarchy diagram someone can look at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So in the Marvel universe who is the ultimate most powerful big baddie? Peal away the dozen curtains with the stronger villains behind each one, whose at the end? Is there a simple hierarchy diagram someone can look at?

Satan.

Not joking.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

My minor niggle with GotG is that Ronan is a really common name here, so it was like having a galactic alien terrorist called Jeremy or Paul. Which incidentally is also a minor niggle I always had with Dune.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

While they aren't always evil the strongest entities in the Marvel universe are the Celestials. They do what they want to whoever they want and its almost impossible to stop them.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

My minor niggle with GotG is that Ronan is a really common name here, so it was like having a galactic alien terrorist called Jeremy or Paul. Which incidentally is also a minor niggle I always had with Dune.

Well Paul is a name with a seriously heavy significance in all of the Abrahamic religions. The Apostle Paul probably had more influence over the way Christianity turned out than Jesus himself.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

muscles like this? posted:

While they aren't always evil the strongest entities in the Marvel universe are the Celestials. They do what they want to whoever they want and its almost impossible to stop them.

Is Galactus a Celestial? If not what the hell is he?

And what the gently caress is this?

http://marvel.wikia.com/Eternity_%28Earth-616%29

Seriously how did the Marvel universe grow from some super powered men in tights to... this.

Shimrra Jamaane has a new favorite as of 04:11 on Feb 24, 2015

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Imagined posted:

Well Paul is a name with a seriously heavy significance in all of the Abrahamic religions. The Apostle Paul probably had more influence over the way Christianity turned out than Jesus himself.

I know but I am from an almost entirely catholic Country, so it is a common as mud name here. Really jarring to hear/read that in a a sci-fi epic when I grew up with 5 pauls.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

I know but I am from an almost entirely catholic Country, so it is a common as mud name here. Really jarring to hear/read that in a a sci-fi epic when I grew up with 5 pauls.

I know. Reading anything about Camelot is super hard since I've met a guy named Arthur before.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The bible must be such a let-down in Mexico

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Zaphod42 posted:

So then if you have a robot that is truly intelligent, like post-singularity intelligence, that isn't going to be like R2D2 "beep beep boop" or even C3P0's "I do not understand these organics" kinda thing.

I may be giving credit where it isn't due, but I like to think that the Star Wars robots are deliberately designed to seem a lot dumber than they are, to make them non-threatening to humans. You've got robot soldiers fighting for and alongside human soldiers, or robot advisors to human leaders, you don't want people to fear or distrust the robots, so you make them capable but goofy. No one's worried about C3P0 being around all the time to translate and advise on protocol, because C3P0s a bumbling coward, he's totally harmless.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Captain Monkey posted:

I know. Reading anything about Camelot is super hard since I've met a guy named Arthur before.

If you don't see something mildly annoying about a space prince a billion years in the future having a really mundane name I don't know what to say, maybe you're not an autist. Go gently caress a woman or something.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

If you don't see something mildly annoying about a space prince a billion years in the future having a really mundane name I don't know what to say, maybe you're not an autist. Go gently caress a woman or something.

Ok. Tell your mom I'm headed over.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Captain Monkey posted:

Ok. Tell your mom I'm headed over.

P sure I said a woman

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Seriously how did the Marvel universe grow from some super powered men in tights to... this.
Steve Ditko liked to draw crazy things. The classic Dr. Strange stories are full of characters and concepts like that. Anyway while that character is, in theory, the most powerful thing in the universe (kinda by definition) in practice he mainly exists to be imperiled.

"My God! This villain must be impossibly dangerous! He threatens even mighty Eternity himself!"

A lot of the upper echelons of Marvel power don't really do anything in most stories. They're just hanging around in the background being beyond our mortal ken or whatever.

Galactus' most accepted deal, I think, is that he's the last survivor of whatever existed before the Big Bang. He's important to the continued existence of the Universe in some vague way and wanders around eating planets.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

P sure I said a woman

:vince:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Edit: forget it.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Imagined posted:

Hmm, unable to see or understand context, subtext, obvious historical allusions and religious allegories, yet calls other people "autists".

Unable to read a post yet claims autism in others.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

im gay

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

EmmyOk posted:

Hey gently caress you buddy, my name is Paul and nobody cool in fiction is EVER named Paul. It's always somebody's fat brother or something.

We deserved a cool one for once.

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

...and a clown with no head

Same.

Bippie Mishap
Oct 12, 2012

PaleInkedBoy posted:

I'm watching the 2006 movie version of Desperation by Stephen King because I clearly have nothing better to do with my time and it irrationally irritates me that when a cougar is in the middle of attacking a man they use the stock RAWRAWWWRAWR cougar sound while it's clearly still biting him. What, it just stopped to yell around a mouthful?

Regulators was the better one.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Galactus is something else. I'm not sure how current this is but one version of his origin was that he is the last survivor of the universe from before this one and that surviving like that changed him into a force of nature.

As to how this happened, it's pretty much all on Jack Kirby. In the 70s he started getting weird and cosmic. He eventually quit Marvel and moved over to DC where he kept on this stuff with his "New Gods."

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Bippie Mishap posted:

Regulators was the better one.

They didn't make a movie out of that shitshow.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

My Marvel understanding is suspect, but I recall reading that Galactus is inherently anti-Celestial because Celestials are seeded into the cores of planets as part of their development cycle, and G's inherent need to consume planets basically keeps the Celestial numbers down.

Remove G, and instead of X Celestials that may or may not decide to destroy everything on a whim, you'd have X*1000. He's an apex predator that you hate to see him operate, but you don't dare remove him from the ecosystem.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 07:32 on Feb 24, 2015

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Well, yeah, there is that, but I think they could have created a version of the character with the rings that wasn't incredibly racist.

Maybe I give them too much credit.

They should have taken a page out of DC's treatment of villains from Asia.

Yep, classy.

:ughh:

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

There's several Infinity Gems. While those guys are off getting the tesseract and the purple gem, he's busy collecting the rest of the Infinity Gauntlet. :eng101:

The reason why he isn't so concerned if they fail is because he'll just go get that gem himself afterwards if needs be. He knows that if anybody tries to use a single gem they'll be wiped out by it, so he's just like "hey go get me some gems" and then gently caress it, if they show up it saves you the trouble and now you've got a tested ally, if they don't show up you were gonna have to go get the rest of them anyways, costs you literally nothing.

Thing is Thanos is like a near-god. He just really doesn't give a gently caress. He's playing the long game. (He eventually courts the god of death itself as his lover and then becomes the avatar of death, and there's one series where he actually saves the world from an alternate universe which killed its own god of death, thus making everybody immortal, thus creating a "cancerverse" which just kept growing and spilled over into

I haven't read the comics in years but I vaguely remember Thanos killing almost half the Galaxy to impress Lady Death, it was just weird to see him chilling on an asteroid in a space lazy boy instead of going all mad Titan on some bitches.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

bobkatt013 posted:

They are a year apart.

I don't think most who went to Germany also fought in the Pacific though.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Gorilla Salad posted:

They should have taken a page out of DC's treatment of villains from Asia.

Yep, classy.

:ughh:

It is such a pet peeve of mine when people get the racist asian accent wrong. You replace the Ls with Rs, not the other way around!

Also, this is a little bit racist

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Ignite Memories posted:

It is such a pet peeve of mine when people get the racist asian accent wrong. You replace the Ls with Rs, not the other way around!

Also, this is a little bit racist

I think you got it backwards. Chinese people have a problem with the R sound, not with the L, which is cooling in Chinese.

I'm watching The Raid 2, and while I enjoy it, the two deaf ultimate badass invincible killing machines were just lovely. I didn't need that.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I disaglee. To my ears, the idea behind that caricature is that both sounds come out as sort of a spanish-sounding rolled R. When you do it the other way, it doesn't really sound like a racist asian accent. It doesn't really sound like anything.

here, try it out. Do the accent yourself.

"I concentrate rearry hard in the crassroom"
vs
"I concentlate leally hald in the classloom"

I mean, it's stupid to be writing it out in a comic book either way, but at least if you make the Ls Rs it looks more like it sounds. Team America World Police has a poo poo ton of this if you wanna listen to what i'm talking about. Breakfast at tiffany's is another excellent [terrible] example.

Ignite Memories has a new favorite as of 17:29 on Feb 24, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah Marvel really needs to rethink how they're handling the cinematic universe.

Their plan seemed to go:

1. Make origin story movies. SO MANY origin story movies.
2. Redo a few of those just for good measure.
3. Release huge tie-in movie Avengers, etc. where all your previous established IP show up.
4. ??????
5. Profit

Well, they're certainly profiting. But they hit step 4 and now they don't know what to do. They seem to think the answer is just to loop around back to #1, but that doesn't work.

Well, for a start your step 2 exists only because people don't like Hulk when he's Ang Lee.

You're also missing a step 4.5, which is "Phase out older IP gradually in favour of the new IP" Captain America: Civil War is going to be the last appearance of Steve Rogers, who will be replaced by Bucky in future Cap movies. Iron Man will also be taking a back seat at that time in favour of Ant-Man, the other techno wizard on the Avengers, and Vision could easily replace Thor in the Avengers while Doctor Strange fills the "exotic" movie niche. If we see any of those characters again outside of cameos it will be in Avengers: Infinity War, which as a double movie and the culmination of the entire project will have room for them plus the new players from Phase 2, Phase 3 and Age of Ultron.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

muscles like this? posted:

Galactus is something else. I'm not sure how current this is but one version of his origin was that he is the last survivor of the universe from before this one and that surviving like that changed him into a force of nature.

As to how this happened, it's pretty much all on Jack Kirby. In the 70s he started getting weird and cosmic. He eventually quit Marvel and moved over to DC where he kept on this stuff with his "New Gods."

Mid-Late 60's. They had Thor stopping Galactus from devouring a living planet (complete with planet sized face) named Ego. The Celestials (the giant robot looking guy that used the infinity stone in the flashback in Guardians) came about in the 70's in a story about them causing human evolution, and creating a race of godlike Eternals, and monstrous Deviants.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

EmmyOk posted:

But that's actually kinda the point; he starts out as Paul Atreides and then by the end he is the Kwizatz Haderach, Muad'dib, and Usul. In the same way that Dune is a study of how the culture changes the planet's ecology, its also a study of how the culture changes foreigners. Paul is pretty much "Prince John Smith" at the beginning of Dune, but by the end of it he's the exact opposite; he's the leader of the natives of Dune and he's their cultural and religious icon. That transformation is key.

Tiggum posted:

I may be giving credit where it isn't due, but I like to think that the Star Wars robots are deliberately designed to seem a lot dumber than they are, to make them non-threatening to humans. You've got robot soldiers fighting for and alongside human soldiers, or robot advisors to human leaders, you don't want people to fear or distrust the robots, so you make them capable but goofy. No one's worried about C3P0 being around all the time to translate and advise on protocol, because C3P0s a bumbling coward, he's totally harmless.

That's a decent idea, yeah. The alternative is the Butlerian Jihad :cheeky:

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Pook Good Mook posted:

Satan.

Not joking.

I'm not sure if there's an actual 'Satan' devil dude but Mephisto pretty much fits the bill. And Thanos made him his bitch. And then Thanos killed half the universe and killed such abstract concepts as the personification of time and the universe itself etc. So I'd say Thanos is the ultimate big bad. Thanos is even his OWN worst enemy.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Rough Lobster posted:

I'm not sure if there's an actual 'Satan' devil dude but Mephisto pretty much fits the bill. And Thanos made him his bitch. And then Thanos killed half the universe and killed such abstract concepts as the personification of time and the universe itself etc. So I'd say Thanos is the ultimate big bad. Thanos is even his OWN worst enemy.

Thanos was bad enough he was able to bring death to a deathless universe. The Cancerverse lost to Thanos.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

MisterBibs posted:

My Marvel understanding is suspect, but I recall reading that Galactus is inherently anti-Celestial because Celestials are seeded into the cores of planets as part of their development cycle, and G's inherent need to consume planets basically keeps the Celestial numbers down.

Remove G, and instead of X Celestials that may or may not decide to destroy everything on a whim, you'd have X*1000. He's an apex predator that you hate to see him operate, but you don't dare remove him from the ecosystem.

I think that's just in the Earth/Universe/Paradise X series which isn't necessarily the marvel universe as we generally know it. And which starts out interesting but sort of disappears up its own arse.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Fil5000 posted:

I think that's just in the Earth/Universe/Paradise X series which isn't necessarily the marvel universe as we generally know it. And which starts out interesting but sort of disappears up its own arse.

There is an entire comics sub forum.

Irrationally irritating movie moment: Robocop 2014 - what the hell was that pseudo explanation about how Murphy is now a robot who thinks he is a human, and that somehow is okay under the dreyfus act, which prohibits robot police/soldiers in the US.

Edit: VVVV ah, gotcha, I didn't realize it was a "but let's keep this between us" kind of thing.

Brother Tadger has a new favorite as of 07:38 on Feb 25, 2015

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

...and a clown with no head

1redflag posted:

There is an entire comics sub forum.

Irrationally irritating movie moment: Robocop 2014 - what the hell was that pseudo explanation about how Murphy is now a robot who thinks he is a human, and that somehow is okay under the dreyfus act, which prohibits robot police/soldiers in the US.

The idea was that as far as the world was concerned, it was a dude with robot parts, thus making it appear like a robot is not making the decisions. However, it was more that he was a robot with dude parts.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, it was explicitly there to get around the legislation. It was something only the people in that room were intended to know rather than the public at large.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

But that's actually kinda the point; he starts out as Paul Atreides and then by the end he is the Kwizatz Haderach, Muad'dib, and Usul. In the same way that Dune is a study of how the culture changes the planet's ecology, its also a study of how the culture changes foreigners. Paul is pretty much "Prince John Smith" at the beginning of Dune, but by the end of it he's the exact opposite; he's the leader of the natives of Dune and he's their cultural and religious icon. That transformation is key.

That's a decent idea, yeah. The alternative is the Butlerian Jihad :cheeky:

Atreides sounds cool and spacey to begin with though, Paul doesn't. Like I said it's an irrational irritation, I'm not blind to literary devices or religious symbolism.