Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Keeshhound posted:

I was playing Ambition mode while watching someone stream Dawn of War 2 last night, and it struck me just how much I want a Warhammer 40k Warriors game. I'd gladly shell out $60 or more to rampage through an Imperial Guard garrison as a Warboss. :orks101:

Somehow I don't think Koei would especially like Chaos. But it's an interesting thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
So can I expect Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires on Steam tomorrow? :ohdear:

Edit: Was stupid enough to watch the trailer (to see if the mention PC at the end), and heard Sima Yi's new voice. Instant tears. :cry:

Double Edit: Urrgh...27th for PC. Don't know which system I should get it for. Maybe if the Steam version has co-op capabilities, I'd get it for that, but I do want it ASAP. drat it.

Morter fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 24, 2015

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Bloodly posted:

Somehow I don't think Koei would especially like Chaos. But it's an interesting thought.

Wouldn't be the first time they glossed over the more uncomfortable aspects of their source material. :shrug:

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Morter posted:

So can I expect Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires on Steam tomorrow? :ohdear:

Edit: Was stupid enough to watch the trailer (to see if the mention PC at the end), and heard Sima Yi's new voice. Instant tears. :cry:

Double Edit: Urrgh...27th for PC. Don't know which system I should get it for. Maybe if the Steam version has co-op capabilities, I'd get it for that, but I do want it ASAP. drat it.

it sounds broken as hell, maybe wait and see if there's a patch for the steam version or at least an announcement?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Bloodly posted:

Somehow I don't think Koei would especially like Chaos.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

So what's the deal with Nobunaga being treated as some sort of Great Demon Lord of Conquest in all the video games?

I'm not familiar enough with the history to see why he ends up... vilified? Celebrated? Celebratorily vilified?

Compared to all the other rear end in a top hat backstabbing betraying murdering warlords of the time, what makes him stand out as especially memorable in the Japanese consciousness as an ideal video game bad guy?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ha ha ha, the level in Warriors Orochi 3 where you suddenly turn a corner and the whole area is a modern beach resort straight out of Dead or Alive Volleyball.

Also, it looks like Ultimate has significantly more levels than Vanilla 3 did.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

victrix posted:

So what's the deal with Nobunaga being treated as some sort of Great Demon Lord of Conquest in all the video games?

I'm not familiar enough with the history to see why he ends up... vilified? Celebrated? Celebratorily vilified?

Compared to all the other rear end in a top hat backstabbing betraying murdering warlords of the time, what makes him stand out as especially memorable in the Japanese consciousness as an ideal video game bad guy?
I don't know how to put it into words, but anyway watch Kagemusha or something, don't just go off video games.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

victrix posted:

Well he sold his sold to a devil and unleashed a horde of demons on feudal Japan. And modern day France too.

That's the sort of thing that gets you a bad rep.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

victrix posted:

Because in a time of deep conservatism and isolation, he broke everything.

Samurai are the ruling class? He gives a gently caress about the lesser troops and equips them well.
Japan tends to be isolationist? He gives foreigners the time of day, and takes their stuff if it's good stuff.
Bow, blade, and horse are the primary weapons? He's the first to use guns, and even works out how to offset the slow fire rate for continuous fire.
He also specifically set out for 'world conquest'. 'Tenka Fubu'; to unify the entire land by force. Nearly does it, too. This from a young man who got the nickname 'The Fool Of Owari'. Who was so against everything 'proper' that his mentor killed himself in shame over him. Which only made him angry at the system.

This basically all combines, you notice.

Basically, they both hate and love him for everything he was. So they make him capable enough that he can do pretty much anything he sets himself to. Send him to hell? He'll rule it, or at least be high up.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Feb 24, 2015

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Nobunaga owns in both Human and Cat forms.

Speedball posted:

Ha ha ha, the level in Warriors Orochi 3 where you suddenly turn a corner and the whole area is a modern beach resort straight out of Dead or Alive Volleyball.

Also, it looks like Ultimate has significantly more levels than Vanilla 3 did.

The Ayane fight cutscene got a laugh out of me. The poor dude just can't fathom a fighter wearing so little into battle and he loses his poo poo over it.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Bloodly posted:

Because in a time of deep conservatism and isolation, he broke everything.

Samurai are the ruling class? He gives a gently caress about the lesser troops and equips them well.
Japan tends to be isolationist? He gives foreigners the time of day, and takes their stuff if it's good stuff.
Bow, blade, and horse are the primary weapons? He's the first to use guns, and even works out how to offset the slow fire rate for continuous fire.
He also specifically set out for 'world conquest'. 'Tenka Fubu'; to unify the entire land by force. Nearly does it, too.

This basically all combines, you notice.

Basically, they both hate and love him for everything he was. So they make him capable enough that he can do pretty much anything he sets himself to. Send him to hell? He'll rule it, or at least be high up.

I swear, 10 years ago in DW3 and SW1, Cao Cao and Nobunaga seemed written and played straight as Villains or at least power hungry warlords. But as time goes on, KOEI makes them more sympathetic and lovable (yes, I said it) to the point that them being both extremely capable rulers, and more human than "BENEVOLENCE!" makes them the obvious choice on who to root for. :allears:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Cao Cao and Nobunaga are the only ones who try to have every faction work together too in Warriors Orochi if I remember correctly. Every other faction's ending was just inclusive and didn't involve everyone.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I think my favorite thing about the Orochi series is how Wu always seems to go out of its way to do nothing, to the point where in 3 by the end of chapter 1, Shu has a few Tiger generals running around, Wei has Jin representing it, and Japan has a decent amount of the Toyotomi Clan, but Wu only has the bodyguards, only one of which really does anything and just get SSX and she is pretty much entirely a delivery device for Kai.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
A few people who got 8: Empires early via preorder have reported in.

The English version is (at the very least) v 1.03 which fixes the more frequent glitches and the horrifying "Jar Jar" bug. I'm waiting to find out for confirmation of any later patches preinstalled. (The Japanese version had patch 1.08 announced recently IIRC)

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Brony Hunter posted:

A few people who got 8: Empires early via preorder have reported in.

The English version is (at the very least) v 1.03 which fixes the more frequent glitches and the horrifying "Jar Jar" bug. I'm waiting to find out for confirmation of any later patches preinstalled. (The Japanese version had patch 1.08 announced recently IIRC)

I'm thinking we get the patches that fix the major bugs but not the ones that add QoL stuff to the game like last installment.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Which is bullshit if true. The QoL improvements in 8:E are almost necessary.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Wasn't Nobunaga a fairly extravagant war criminal even by medieval Japanese standards? The Siege of Mount Hiei, for instance, was one of the most notorious incidents of the Sengoku era.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Yeah the Quality of Life improvements to 8:E add a lot of stuff that probably should have been in the game to begin with. I don't have the patch notes on hand, so this is off the top of my head:

- Incentive Points can be earned, which can be spent on new playthroughs to immediately unlock weapons and other things.
- As an officer you can now propose to your Ruler to NOT invade a territory for a turn.
- As an officer, you no longer have to fight every single battle. You can choose to opt out, which results in a stalemate but allows you to do something else with your turn and/or not waste time on a suicidal battle if you're not ready for it.
- Faction AI has improved, including such features as "Factions with low troops will now actually spend resources to recruit more soldiers" and "Factions will now no longer recruit every single NPC in their land, thus bankrupting it when they can no longer afford to pay the salaries of dozens of officers"
- NPCs will now level up at a reasonable pace rather than stagnate at like 30 levels behind the player. (This opened up another can of worms which made NPCs level up TOO QUICKLY thus always passing the player for promotion, I believe this was fixed in a later patch to balance level up rates again)
- The ability to actually change costumes mid game. This also included the chance to customise the outfit of your created character mid campaign as well.
- You can set favoured Tactics for your created characters, which means they'll use them more frequently as NPCs.
- Certain Tactics no longer cause massive knockback or stunlock your character to death. "Stunlocking" Tactics such as Ice attacks can now be escaped with Musou or Rage attacks.
- Probably loads more poo poo I'm forgetting

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I've never played an Empire game before, however I did play a poo poo ton of Romance of the Three Kingdoms (NES to PS2 versions). I'm confused about the roles you can choose. If I choose Free Officer will I be able to eventually transition to ruler or strategist if I gain enough fame or whatever the hell? Is anyone able to summarize the game flow at all? From what I can tell by watching Japanese Let's Plays, it's a simplified RotTK with Dynasty Warriors battles.

Also, should I just wait until they actually patch the QoL improvements in? Not knowing whether they will actually patch the stuff in is disconcerting.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

If you play a preset scenario, the officer you choose will determine the role you play. however if you play as your own, created character you will almost always start as a Free Officer (Unless you create your own scenario, which is also a mode in this game). As a Free Officer, you perform missions and skirmishes to gain fame, resources and befriend other officers, and also act as a mercenary, aiding major factions. If you make friends (via Missions, or meeting them through events etc) with other Free Officers you can request they join your mercenary force. From there, you have a few options. You can attempt to attack a territory; if you defeat the faction defending it, you become your own, new faction and you'll become the Ruler, with your friends taking the roles of officers.
Alternatively, you can request to join one of the factions. I believe the chance of them hiring you increases if you are famous enough, and/or are friends with that faction's ruler. Factions may also send out NPCs to hire you.

When you've joined a faction, you can give suggestions during the monthly policy meetings. The higher your rank and higher your friendship with the ruler, the more likely your suggestion will be selected. You will also be given missions/tasks by the ruler, and be expected to take part in any battles that turn. With enough fame/deeds, you move up the ranks, which increase your salary and clout in meetings. I believe new in 8: Empires is the ability to give orders to any officer on the battlefield who is a lower rank than you - in 7 that was a privledge only the Ruler or Marshal had.

There's also Prefects, which is a special rank you can be promoted to. Prefects are given special authority over a certain region. In 7 it was more useful to give the Prefect rank to NPCs, as NPC Prefects would automatically defend their land if attacked by the enemy, and would succeed even if the player didn't help out. The rank didn't offer much bonus to the player apart from increased salary/fame. In 8...I'm not sure. Maybe you can order around all officers in your region? My Japanese knowledge is too limited to work it out for myself.

Each faction also has one Strategist, and one Marshall. Again, I can't say what these ranks exactly do in 8: Empires, but in 7 the Strategist had a larger selection of Tactics in battle, and would always get their proposals selected in policy meetings. The Marshall could give orders to every ally you were in battle with, and I BELIEVE also had a higher max troop count. (Your troop count affects how often you can respawn when KOed in battle) What they do in 8: Empires, I can't say, but they're both still available.

As well making friends, you can also marry an officer of the opposite gender, which gives you lots of bonuses. New to 8: Empires is the option of having a child with your spouse, who you can control in battle when they come of age.
You can also swear an oath with (I think) 2 officers. Oath Siblings offer similar bonuses to your spouse. For example, they'll sometimes give you items or resources, and they will never defect from your faction.

You can resign from your faction at any time, but I don't think you can in battle. As an officer you can also rebel against your ruler and attempt to usurp them. Your spouse, child and Oath Siblings will always join in your rebellion, and I think other officers with high friendship with you/low friendship with your ruler will also join your revolt. If you win you become the ruler of a new faction, if you lose you become a Free Officer again - unless you get caught and executed.

You can also become inherit a kingdom if your ruler dies, and you're his spouse or Oath Sibling, I believe.

tl;dr - Simplified RotK 8/10, but you spend half the game personally killing millions of dudes

Brony Hunter fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 24, 2015

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The GIG posted:

I think my favorite thing about the Orochi series is how Wu always seems to go out of its way to do nothing, to the point where in 3 by the end of chapter 1, Shu has a few Tiger generals running around, Wei has Jin representing it, and Japan has a decent amount of the Toyotomi Clan, but Wu only has the bodyguards, only one of which really does anything and just get SSX and she is pretty much entirely a delivery device for Kai.

Also everyone's coloring scheme makes no drat sense by this point as we have a billion different alliances and everyone's all mixed up.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

With Hyrule Warriors, Samurai Warriors 4 (and 4-II), 8: Empires, WO3: U and other games out, I wonder if we're due for a new OP anytime soon?

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Brony Hunter posted:

snip snip

tl;dr - Simplified RotK 8/10, but you spend half the game personally killing millions of dudes

That sounds fantastic. I think I'm going to start as a free officer and work my way up to ruler, eventually. I'm pretty excited about playing it later this week when I have some free time.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Happy Hedonist posted:

That sounds fantastic. I think I'm going to start as a free officer and work my way up to ruler, eventually. I'm pretty excited about playing it later this week when I have some free time.

I'd personally wait to see more player feedback regarding patches and glitches. Already I'm seeing a lot of conflicting reports, ranging from "The game's fine, you babies" all the way to "THIS IS LITERALLY UNPLAYABLE"

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
One of the highest evil titles in 8:E gives a tactic that massively increases attack, but turns on friendly fire. :black101:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Largepotato posted:

One of the highest evil titles in 8:E gives a tactic that massively increases attack, but turns on friendly fire. :black101:

Oh, wow. Hahah. I think I need to try out a DW Empires game for once.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Brony Hunter posted:

- Incentive Points can be earned, which can be spent on new playthroughs to immediately unlock weapons and other things.

I just got the game and haven't played enough to see the other things, but I can say for sure that this feature is present.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Maleketh posted:

I just got the game and haven't played enough to see the other things, but I can say for sure that this feature is present.

Good to know, thanks. :) I think that means we have at least Patch v 1.04? I'll have to check the patch notes when i get home.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Brony Hunter posted:

Good to know, thanks. :) I think that means we have at least Patch v 1.04? I'll have to check the patch notes when i get home.

Let us know! I'm anxious to hear how it plays and if it's worth picking up right away.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

I won't personally be getting this game for at least another month or so as I just slapped down a bunch of cash on a New 3DS, but I will be talking to people who own the game and stalking fansites to see how well it plays and/or keep note of whenever it gets patched.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Okay we supposedly have patch v1.03 at launch, which came out in late November in Japan. However, there are still many, many glitches that did not appear in the Japanese version of the game, mostly audio bugs.

What's on the patch: (Translated from Japanese by a dude on a Koei fansite, so take with a grain of salt)

Patch Notes posted:

New features:
-Addition (or rather return of) Incentive Points
-Can now change CAW costumes inside Empire Mode (1.02 only allowed unique characters)
-BGM change feature in castle (strategy phase?)
-If host becomes offline because the guest DCs, they can exit battle by choosing 'Retreat'
-Readjusted stat drop due to injury fatigue (sorry corrected)
-Subordinates can now suggest to ruler to not invade anything for the period
-Subordinates can also opt to not participate in an invasion battle
-Updated save data details

Fixed freeze bugs
-Freezes caused by visiting CAWs
-When NPC used General Sword musous (read: Cao Cao)
-When seeing a general with abnormal (transparent) body parts
-When Fa Zheng uses Aerial Musou -> 2nd Musou immediately
-When trying to move CAWs generated from CAW save file in CAW list
-Interim save under certain circumstances then attempting to resume from it
-If host plays an invasion battle that comes from ruler's orders and starts online play, then the host uses a tactic, the guest's game freezes over

Other fixed bugs
-Graphic haywire when CAWs are made with specific combinations
-This buggy "Jar Jar" should be fixed too
-Bug in custom scenario where CAWs you don't include in the game are still included but with no names
-Event sound effect bug in PS3 digital version

So yeah reports are that the "QoL" additions from the patch such as Incentive Points at least are in the game. No word yet on whether we'll get the other patches or a hotfix for the day 1 bugs, but I'll keep poking around and see what I find out.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

A few of those features (Incentive Points, changing the Strategy Phase music, and opting out of invasions) are definitely there. The rest I haven't checked for. Otherwise, I haven't seen any slowdown or major bugs or glitches; the game runs well and is pretty fun. The only problem I've noticed is that one of my Strategies either doesn't work right or has a typo (it mentions a 60-second timer but is actually twice that).

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Maleketh posted:

A few of those features (Incentive Points, changing the Strategy Phase music, and opting out of invasions) are definitely there. The rest I haven't checked for. Otherwise, I haven't seen any slowdown or major bugs or glitches; the game runs well and is pretty fun. The only problem I've noticed is that one of my Strategies either doesn't work right or has a typo (it mentions a 60-second timer but is actually twice that).

Yeah the Warriors series has had typos rather frequently lately; it's not a big deal for me but I can understand why few people would be annoyed by them.

I'm starting to think the reports of glitches and slowdown are rare and isolated cases or are otherwise blown out of proportion. They seem to be reported by the same handful of very vocal people - a few of them I recognise as people who were very loudly negative about this game over the last few weeks, yet still got it day one, so go figure.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Dragon Quest Heroes is out now for all the Japanese people who bought the Metal Slime PS4, you can catch it on Twitch/Live from PlayStation right now if you want to see it in action. It looks incredible.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Is there a NA release date?

Also, was there ever a DQ game for the PS3 generation? I only remember #8 for PS2 being the last one.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

LorneReams posted:

Also, was there ever a DQ game for the PS3 generation? I only remember #8 for PS2 being the last one.

Dragon Quest IX was released during the PS3 generation's lifetime, though it was for the DS. It was very good.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart
Does it even have persistent characters i thought it was the same deal as uhhh 3 I think where you just create your party semi-classic wrpg style. I ask because I'm playing 4&5 maaaybe 6 in anticipation of DQH and I could work 9 in I guess. I bought a ps4 primarily for a musou game that may not ever come out here because I'm stupid, to answer in advance the question that you'd like to answer my question with.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

There's 14 playable characters, and you can also capture monsters on the field and summon them in battle.

I've been watching this one guy on Live from PlayStation for a few hours now and my only major complaint so far is that some of the maps seem kind of basic. There was this underground dais stage that was just a bunch of pyramid-levels you could jump up and down, and another was this abandoned mine where the map looked like a grid. I haven't paid attention that closely to the minimaps but those two leap out at me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So would you guys say that the game is worth getting right now, or should we wait if more patches are incoming?