Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

haljordan posted:

It's pretty clear at this point that the richest 1% have a secret space station built somewhere so that when the entire world does collapse economically, they can all just bounce the gently caress out because goddamn. Maybe there's a huge bet going between the super-rich to see who can turn America into Thunderdome first.

they're all buying islands and land in secluded places like new zealand that don't connect to civilization where they can piss off to when the proletariat finally rises up and starts guillotining people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008

ReidRansom posted:

they're all buying islands and land in secluded places like new zealand that don't connect to civilization where they can piss off to when the proletariat finally rises up and starts guillotining people

This, so hard.

"Accelerationists" (or whatever the term is these days) who want to hasten the destruction in order to build from scratch are pretty deluded. It sounds nice - if all of the educated people would just say "ok, fine, you win, we'll stop resisting your stupidity". Like a parent letting their kid learn a lesson about eating candy all night. Go for it, see what happens. You'll learn why doing $thing was a bad, bad idea. The kid throws up and wanders, shame-faced and stricken, to Mom, and she still loves junior.

But what these folks forget is that American citizens aren't needed in the equation anymore. The fastest-growing markets* are India, China, and Thailand. If everything goes to poo poo completely instead of just mostly, the 1% will give no fucks. They don't live in NA, they don't keep their money in NA, and they don't have any income left to wring from NA.

poo poo is hosed up and bullshit.

* a generalization, obv not all "markets" are equal

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
"only a company man would think their kin delighted by company scrip" -crazy hobo by the gas station

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
KMart sucks but JC Penney has really upped their game.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

FuturePastNow posted:

People like my dad shop at K-Mart because a certain ever-shrinking segment of the population refuses to shop at WalMart.

I'd rather go to a depressing KMart than WalMart any day.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

johnny sack posted:

I'd rather go to a depressing KMart than WalMart any day.

Walmart is putting on a fig leaf and giving about a third of their workers raises, but with how KMart's CEO operates, I'm sure those employees are paid poo poo, too. Costco or gtfo

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Last time I was at a Kmart I walked from sporting goods in the back to the front and went past a Nikki Minaj clothing display. :gonk:

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Three-Phase posted:

Last time I was at a Kmart I walked from sporting goods in the back to the front and went past a Nikki Minaj clothing display. :gonk:

it was probs geared to preteens too

jarvis cocker
Dec 16, 2007

by Lowtax

Three-Phase posted:

sorry it was nicki minaj and not a men's asses display

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Three-Phase posted:

Good story! I too am shocked that successful rap artists have their own clothing lines in the year 2015

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Also nicki minaj owns

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
She has her own line of moscato wines too. A very diverse portfolio.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
nicki minaj is loving cool you dork

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
There are 4 Shopkos in my valley and nobody goes to any of them. How the gently caress do they still exist? We have 2 Kmarts too that refuse to die

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Walmart is putting on a fig leaf and giving about a third of their workers raises, but with how KMart's CEO operates, I'm sure those employees are paid poo poo, too. Costco or gtfo

Old timer Kmart workers get 5 weeks paid time off a year.

AK-mart.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Pick posted:

it seems as poorly run and starved for cool brands as ever

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want to know more about the world of Nerf gun collecting

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Hustlin Floh posted:

I want to know more about the world of Nerf gun collecting

it sounds lonely

there used to be a lot of threads abt it here iirc. People would paint and mod them

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Took my nephew to the mall for his birthday this past weekend and parked at Sears because there was plenty of parking and it's easy to walk through the store to get in the mall (no crowds!). 75% of the store was clearance on old person clothing with nothing new to fill the void of the clearance items. I went up to the tools for fun, and there was virtually nothing in the aisles. A couple of speed squares, a non-LED Maglite flashlight, some yellowed and faded boxes of incandescent light bulbs, and a Crescent wrench in a hosed up package. It's like the place is specifically made for customers to contemplate death and suicide by being in such a depressing place.

Even the escalators were depressing. I don't know how that's possible, but they were depresscalators.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Hobohemian posted:

Is that all it is, seriously? :aaa:

3 parts orange juice 1 part club soda

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Arian_Samurai posted:

Just give 'em the cash. Nothing is better than a fat stack of bills.

Yeah but people feel rude or thoughtless for giving cash and instead want the appearance that they put effort into the gift while standing in the checkout line waiting to pay for gas or groceries. It's the only reason why the gift card industry got off the ground.

Pick posted:

When that Apple guy got fired, the old fogies were calling in to Coast To Coast to claim victory and complain about how much they hated everything that was done and how out of touch that CEO was. Don't discount the old foogies that hate change, they are single handily keeping CC Radio alive

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth
I worked overnight at KMart for about five weeks this year, it was probably the chillest retail work experience I've ever had.
SHC sucks at conducting business, though, so no way they'll be around much longer.

That Robox
Mar 15, 2010
No idea how the Kmart in my town is still in business. We've always had it and a Walmart. The town is much too small for even one store really. And everyone had no problem driving 5 miles if they wanted a larger store. About 3 years ago Walmart bulldozed a bunch of people's houses to build a supercenter nobody wanted. Then last year, Meijer demolished a used car dealership to put in a supercenter directly across the street.

Between those two, they've put two supermarkets and almost every smaller store out of business. Somehow Kmart stays around. Half the shelves are empty, large streaks of rust run down the front of the building from the metal sign mounts. Grass and weeds poke up from the cracks in the empty parking lot.

The thing is, it's consistently the place that has hard to find video games always in stock. If there's a big release coming up, I'll just skip the lines at Walmart, GameStop or whatever and just grab it at Kmart. It pays to check a bit early too, I picked up Fable II, LA Noire, and Mass Effect 3 each a few days to a week before street date there. And for some reason all the copies of the first Mass Effect were tossed in the $12.99 discount bin about a week after release so I scored that too.

But then again, this is the same store that still had some PS2 and GBA games at full price last I checked. Up until last year sometime there was a copy of Tony Hawk 3 for N64 there too, until someone must have got it. I was tempted to buy it, but it was like $40 still.

From what I hear, the main customer base is the elderly, because apparently Kmart has the best prescription drug prices in town. Also, they did good business with the meth heads for a while, because when all the other stores cracked down and set limits on sudafed purchases and demanded ID, Kmart just kinda let it go until laws were officially passed forcing them to.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
I have no idea how any Kmarts are still in business. Also, other than appliances, I have no idea what anyone buys at Sears these days. It seems like Kmart/Sears would be wise to spin off their Kenmore appliance business and just shut down everything else.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Feb 24, 2015

Korthal
May 26, 2011

Before being purchased by Sears, K-Mart's HQ was in Detroit. :eng101:

It kinda says something.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

You Are A Elf posted:

Even the escalators were depressing. I don't know how that's possible, but they were depresscalators.

I humbly request a visual representation of a depresscalator.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

Dick Fagballzson posted:

I have no idea how any Kmarts are still in business. Also, other than appliances, I have no idea what anyone buys at Sears these days. It seems like Kmart/Sears would be wise to spin off their Kenmore appliance business and just shut down everything else.

I believe they did that to lands end.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I bought a new fridge/freezer from a Sears scratch/dent outlet when the 30+year-old one in my house died

I will probably do the same when I'm sick of the dryer making more noise than a Van Halen concert

If you don't give a poo poo that your appliances have a few outer blemishes on them (and you shouldn't, because who the gently caress is judging you by how spotless your appliances are, especially since you can shove them into alcoves), the Sears scratch-and-dent outlet is gold.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
There was a mall in town that was built in the 70s. (our only mall) There was a Sears on one end. When a new mall was built and they were going to tear down the old one, Sears wouldn't budge. They tore down the rest of the mall, and left Sears store.

Guess they had one of those 99 year leases that couldn't be broken.

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

Johnny Aztec posted:

There was a mall in town that was built in the 70s. (our only mall) There was a Sears on one end. When a new mall was built and they were going to tear down the old one, Sears wouldn't budge. They tore down the rest of the mall, and left Sears store.

same thing happened to the mall in the suburb where i grew up near minneapolis, sears owned the building and declined to be demolished along with the rest of it

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

When video games started getting ratings and I couldn't just buy whatever I wanted I would always go buy M rated games at K-Mart as the cashier in electronics was illiterate and being 15-16 I just flashed my learners and got whatever I wanted good stuff. Also the K mart in my current town is literally the most depressing place in the world. Last time I was in there was the 3DS launch and man I think I made their day by signing up for their newsletter for 5% off my order like the clerk was actually giddy it was loving weird.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

http://business.time.com/2012/01/09/billions-wasted-do-gift-cards-make-sense-when-so-many-go-unused/

Article is a bit old but gift cards are pretty much free money for the amount of effort the makers actually put in

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Korthal posted:

Before being purchased by Sears, K-Mart's HQ was in Detroit. :eng101:

It kinda says something.

Kmart bought Sears actually

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

stringball posted:

http://business.time.com/2012/01/09/billions-wasted-do-gift-cards-make-sense-when-so-many-go-unused/

Article is a bit old but gift cards are pretty much free money for the amount of effort the makers actually put in

Seriously, just give cash. It's like a gift card, except better in every way.

Cracked_Gear
Nov 4, 2013

Six months ago there were three kmarts within 5 miles of where I live. two nice Super Kmarts that were recently built and actually nice stores, and one lovely regular kmart that's been there since probably the 70's. They just closed two of these three stores. guess which store is still open?

Omnitrix
Aug 14, 2008

Jacob likes air cooled VW's

Johnny Aztec posted:

My town has a dying mall on some prime real estate. The mall is currently 80% vacant and mostly serves as office space, a church and those Halloween stores. The mall was built around a stand alone Sears and they refuse to go. I went to sears to get vacuum bags for my Kenmore to discover that the shelves were bare and the employee I asked for help flat out told me he didn't know where anything was.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Sears is pretty cool because it's like the one place other than Costco that has a tire center open on Sunday

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Also Sears still hires old guys who might maybe know things about ovens/fridges. YMMV

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.
there was a kmart down the road from me literally next door to a kroger, sandwiched between it and a publix in the same shopping center

the walmart was ~2 mins from that spot

one time i went there cuz i was trying to find the absolute cheapest 100% acetone i could find and kmart was my natural assumption when i thought "absolute cheapest"

i went in and there were no employees in sight but at least 4 or 5 other 'customers' were in there at the same time

i put quotes around customers because they would just walk up and down the aisles, find something 'useful' and walk out

i put quotes around useful because the things i saw people walk out with were: empty box of tide with the top ripped off, a double armful of k-mart shopping bags, and a shopping cart with 2 and a half wheels

they didnt have any acetone so i left but that kmart stayed open for like 2 more years and now its just an empty storefront that no one can use because its absolutely enormous and they wont split it up, since its between two grocery stores and literally the only thing that could go there is a grocery store or a home depot (the home depot nearby is in the same shopping center as the walmart 2mins out)

Cursed Lumberjack fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005

WhyteRyce posted:

Sears is pretty cool because it's like the one place other than Costco that has a tire center open on Sunday

But their tires are extremely overpriced compared to Costco. Same set of Michelins I got at Sears for $800 a few years ago was $500 at Costco when I replaced them recently. Costco usually has them buy 3 get one free, or $70-100 off, which is hard to beat. Also cheap on the install and disposal.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 24, 2015

• Locked thread