Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
At this point calling Hein a pop culture guru has about as much weight as Howard being King of all Media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Irish Joe posted:

He founded Jump the Shark which, believe it or not, was a big deal 15 years ago.

poo poo, I remember that site. Whoa.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
And I think I remember him admitting he stole the name or the idea or something from his college friend. haha that loving guy

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Crotch Bat posted:

At this point calling Hein a pop culture guru has about as much weight as Howard being King of all Media.

AlsI eating nothing but McDonald's doesn't make you a burger aficionado. That's like saying you are a NASCAR Enthusiast because you drive a 93 Dodge Dart.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Evil Agita posted:

And I think I remember him admitting he stole the name or the idea or something from his college friend. haha that loving guy

There's no way that John (Jon?) Hein made up the term 'jump the shark'; no loving way. Made the website, sure, but not the actual term.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

There's no way that John (Jon?) Hein made up the term 'jump the shark'; no loving way. Made the website, sure, but not the actual term.

He did though.

quote:

Jumping the shark is an idiom created by Jon Hein that was used to describe the moment in the evolution of a television show when it begins a decline in quality, signaled by a particular scene, episode, or aspect of a show in which the writers use some type of gimmick in an attempt to keep viewers' interest, and which is taken as a sign of desperation. The phrase is based on a scene from a fifth-season episode of the sitcom Happy Days when the character Fonzie jumps over a shark while on water-skis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_the_shark

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I get douche chills every time John Hein calls Taylor Swift "Tay-Tay" on the WUS. I realize he has young daughters and is probably forced to listen to her music in the car, but ugh don't have a pet name for her.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Terms like Tay Tay help children warm up to Jon before he throws them in oil drums.

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005

kylej posted:

Terms like Tay Tay help children warm up to Jon before he throws them in oil drums.

:drat:

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Remember that John reads all of his daughter's instant messages with their friends word for word. You know, in case some pervert is trying to pick them up.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ugh, great.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

He didn't, though.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=126898

quote:

The "jumping the shark" phrase was coined by Hein's college roommate Sean Connolly in 1985.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

Is Sean Connolly also a rich nerd with "gently caress you" money? Didn't think so.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Bonzo posted:

Here, John shows you the complexity of how a drive thru works

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s9W_Am_vQ0

Holy poo poo I wish old Howard Stern was around to rip on this. Jon Hein is literally an oaf.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
John got rich from back in the day when simply having a funny website name made you rich some how. I wouldn't even know how he could sell that thing. Like TV Guide got it and just absolved it to stop people from going somewhere else for TV listings or whatever. Crazy stuff

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

AxeManiac posted:

John got rich from back in the day when simply having a funny website name made you rich some how. I wouldn't even know how he could sell that thing. Like TV Guide got it and just absolved it to stop people from going somewhere else for TV listings or whatever. Crazy stuff

I remember it being a completely ridiculous time but here we are fifteen years later with startups that send you quarters or text people Yo and Yahoo throwing cash around like a drunken sailor.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Listening to a compilation of Richard's dad calling and leaving voicemail messages, and at one point, Richard mentions how his dad got his leg caught in a trap. Howard mentions that if that had ever happened to him, it would be the story that defined his life and he'd never shut up about it. Good to know that, at least in some aspects, Howard is extremely self-aware.

I think about how many times he mentioned that he had to tell Sour Shoes to stop following him and man; we'd never hear the end of it.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I know most of you hated the Joan Rivers appearances, but I always loved Joan. Here is a great article that explores her legacy:

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/02/23/last-girl-larchmont

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Man, my favourite Artie thing about the HSS is his "aaaaaaauuuuuuggggggggggg" laugh that just goes on and on in the background (No Gravity call, 'jollies-love-and-lust' calls, etc).

Orchestrated Mess
Dec 12, 2009

Fuck art. Let's dance.

Bonzo posted:

Here, John shows you the complexity of how a drive thru works

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s9W_Am_vQ0

When he gets into that poor girls' car... Nearly impossible to watch. And all of the information boils down to: I could be the raging fatty in the car behind you, please hurry up and treat this like the olympic sport it should be.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
Another show cancelled on H100/101 https://twitter.com/DrFisch/status/569974131334246403

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
They're winding everything on the channels down because it's over. I'm guessing by fall it'll just be a bare bones crew to work the show and that's it.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Just making way for the Bobo show

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Bobo's 20.5 hour long after show, fully scripted on 10,000 napkins.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Should we start a pool on which staffer/Whack Packer will gun down Howard after he formally announces his retirement?

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I think it would be more interesting to bet who on the staff will leave first. Main guys, not news. Here are my guesses.

Gone before the show ends:
Jon Hein
Steve Brandano
Jason Kaplan
Will Murray

Toss up:
JD
Benjy

No Chance:
Robin
Fred
Gary
Sal
Richard
Ronnie Mund

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

haljordan posted:

Should we start a pool on which staffer/Whack Packer will gun down Howard after he formally announces his retirement?

I predict Mariann from Brooklyn calls in, crying every day, and then promptly fades into the obscurity where she belongs. Bobo follows the same pattern. High Pitch Eric eats himself to death and at the wake a crazed fan tosses a fish into the coffin. Bigfoot consumes multiple times the legal dose of crystal meth and croaks. Jackie continues to sell the Jokemaster Jr.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

EngineerJoe posted:

I think it would be more interesting to bet who on the staff will leave first. Main guys, not news. Here are my guesses.

Jon Hein
Steve Brandano
Jason Kaplan
Will Murray

Toss up:
JD
Benjy

No Chance:
Robin
Fred
Gary
Sal
Richard
Ronnie Mund

If they keep TWUS till the end then you won't see any of those go. Even still, I'd bet at most just Hein off that list. You'll still have interns and Brandano/Murray/Kaplan to organize the show, pre-interview guests, handle phones, etc.

Bare bones show crew is basically who you have listed minus Hein but plus interns.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

This is all extremely depressing, and I've only been listening to whatever's on YouTube, since this time last year.

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?
Depressing, yeah. It's very strange to see the show winding down in slow motion.

Sirius has always been a lovely company and I'll enjoy watching them shrivel up when Howard leaves. I cancelled my subscription about a year ago but I'd gladly pay for the show again in a podcast format or some other service that isn't complete poo poo. I honestly don't know why anyone has satellite for anything other than the HSS. It costs twice as much as Netflix and the content is all garbage.

Here's a great clip- gilbert sitting in on the news around 2000. The Michael Jackson goofing gets me every time. There's also this one moment at 1:02:17 where Gilbert is obviously passed a note because he starts laughing out of nowhere - right before they launch in to making fun of Kelsey Grammer's wife's irritable bowel syndrome and playing fart drops for 5 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l7vJxDOEps&t=3013s

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Richard needs to be on one of the reality TV shows where a camera crew follows his family around. Everyone else can bugger off.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Mexican Radio posted:

Depressing, yeah. It's very strange to see the show winding down in slow motion.

It reminds me of Leno's departure. Leno got the big, flashy farewell the first time he left the Tonight Show, and a dreary, depressing send-off the second time. Sad when entertainers overstay their welcome.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Some classic Sal being ignorantly racist this morning.

All kicked off by that newslady who said "Jiggaboo" on the air.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

EngineerJoe posted:

Steve Brandano
Jason Kaplan
Will Murray

What are these three going to do, call Grillo for career advice?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

I assume they'd just go to other radio stations. Grillo was an idiot and overreached, those guys know their limits(at least I'd bet Murray and Kaplan do). They answer phones, prep guests, and help the producer run the show. They don't do specialized work, it'd be very easy to get a similar job at another station.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Crotch Bat posted:

I assume they'd just go to other radio stations. Grillo was an idiot and overreached, those guys know their limits(at least I'd bet Murray and Kaplan do). They answer phones, prep guests, and help the producer run the show. They don't do specialized work, it'd be very easy to get a similar job at another station.

Yeah but what's JD going to do? His resume has got to be just a bunch of different ways of saying he DVR'd TV shows and pulls the clips.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Sand Monster posted:

Yeah but what's JD going to do? His resume has got to be just a bunch of different ways of saying he DVR'd TV shows and pulls the clips.

Hey buddy, he's a director!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sand Monster posted:

There are TV programs that are all about pulling clips from other shows, aren't there? That seems like what he does.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

prefect posted:

There are TV programs that are all about pulling clips from other shows, aren't there? That seems like what he does.

Don't those programs just use a computer program that scrubs closed captioning transcripts or unpaid interns though?

I assumed that while the back office guys probably get paid way more than they would at a real radio station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Spacemonkey57 posted:

Don't those programs just use a computer program that scrubs closed captioning transcripts or unpaid interns though?

I assumed that while the back office guys probably get paid way more than they would at a real radio station.

I believe Grillo was making just slightly more than minimum wage after he'd worked for the show for a couple of years.