Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

It's just the Wii version. There's nothing special about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Nice, I half expected to have to pay extra for it.

Not really a fan of when Season Passes don't mean "all the DLC" (I can forgive costume packs I guess) - which seems to be happening lately.

Nintendo DLC is good DLC.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Another update: Pushmo got tough real fuckin fast, I love it :allears:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

PoshAlligator posted:

Nice, I half expected to have to pay extra for it.

Not really a fan of when Season Passes don't mean "all the DLC" (I can forgive costume packs I guess) - which seems to be happening lately.

Nintendo DLC is good DLC.

I've never seen a season pass that doesn't explicitly detail out what is and isn't included in it. Some games end up having a second "season" and have more DLC that's not included in the first pass, but again, there's always a list of "here is what you get with this pass"

For a Nintendo example, the Hyrule Warriors pass detailed out that you got Master Quest, Twilight Princess, Majora's Mask, and Boss DLC packs. I saw (on other sites, not so much here) people getting bent out of shape about not getting the costume packs included too, but they were never promised as part of the pack

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I'd say like 75% of season passes in the last year have explicitly named only the first content pack as included and then been like "and future DLC releases!" after that so you've been buying from saintly publishers

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

CJacobs posted:

Just an update, I really like casual-style puzzle games and Pushmo looked good (although I've heard that the bigger brother, Pushmo World, gets batshit hard) so I bought it on the spot. Thanks for the suggestions chaps :)

Crashmo is also really good when you're done with Pushmo.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

epitasis posted:

I'd say like 75% of season passes in the last year have explicitly named only the first content pack as included and then been like "and future DLC releases!" after that so you've been buying from saintly publishers

But they'll list out how many content packs you're getting, etc. I literally never seen a season pass that just gives a non specific "and some future stuff" listing.

Maybe they don't all itemize it out to the degree Hyrule Warriors did, but they'll at least say "3 content packs" or "2 DLC campaigns" or something.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Speaking of DLC, was the 2nd Mario Kart pack due in February, or am I remembering incorrectly?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

May, actually.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

irlZaphod posted:

Speaking of DLC, was the 2nd Mario Kart pack due in February, or am I remembering incorrectly?

You're remembering incorrectly. It's coming in May.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Mario Kart 8 remains very playable in February though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

May is a very long wait, but I don't see Mario Karts online community disappearing by then. Mario Kart historically is Nintendo's most popular series and getting into online races that are full still always happens.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

May? Oh, darn.

elf help book posted:

Mario Kart 8 remains very playable in February though.
True, I really want to play as Isabelle though. :(

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
It's not possible to gift games yet, right? As in, if a game is $7.99, the best way for me to buy it for someone is either give them a $10 eShop card or give them $7.99 through PayPal or Square?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

You can buy them an eShop code for the game if you use the web store, I think.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
I was impressed at how good the e-shop version of Metroid Prime Trilogy looked on Wii U. While I wouldn't go as far as saying that it looks HD, it does look quite crisp and sharp. (I don't have the disc version though, likely that looks just as good.)

But it seems far better looking than playing the Wii version of Resident Evil 4 on Wii U. That seems to look the same as playing it on original Wii, the HDMI cable doesn't seem to help with that at all. I wasn't expecting a massive improvement, I just figured that the fact that the Wii U upsacles and it uses an HDMI cable would provide a little boost. Metroid Prime Trilogy looks gorgeous. RE4, not so much.

(Perhaps the fact that I live in UK, so it is the PAL version of RE4, maybe that makes a difference...?)

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

your evil twin posted:

I was impressed at how good the e-shop version of Metroid Prime Trilogy looked on Wii U. While I wouldn't go as far as saying that it looks HD, it does look quite crisp and sharp. (I don't have the disc version though, likely that looks just as good.)

But it seems far better looking than playing the Wii version of Resident Evil 4 on Wii U. That seems to look the same as playing it on original Wii, the HDMI cable doesn't seem to help with that at all. I wasn't expecting a massive improvement, I just figured that the fact that the Wii U upsacles and it uses an HDMI cable would provide a little boost. Metroid Prime Trilogy looks gorgeous. RE4, not so much.

(Perhaps the fact that I live in UK, so it is the PAL version of RE4, maybe that makes a difference...?)

I had purchased the disc version of Trilogy before Christmas and returned it to buy the digital version, which saved me $35. I haven't really tested it yet, but I was just blown away by how much content one could get for $9.99 during that first week, and $19.99 is hardly a bad price for 3 long, involved games. I was going to get the three-in-one strategy guide for Trilogy, being of a completionist nature, but the reviews that I read for it were not favourable, so I gave it a miss.

Very glad to hear that it looks good in HD, though. Many older games, very old ones and just pre-HD ones, do not. I am not surprised, though I am disappointed, about RE4. I find that 3D/polygon based games generally do not hold up as well visually as most 2D games.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Just clarifying, Metroid Prime Trilogy off the eShop still runs at 480p and is upscaled to 720p/1080p. In general though, Nintendo games tend to look a lot nicer upscaled than most other dev's games.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Mario Galaxy 2 was jaggy as poo poo IMO.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

Considering that Resident Evil 4 is already kind of grainy and muddy, and it does not surprise me that it looks awful upscaled. Metroid Prime still looks kind of bad upscaled, but its art style is way more colorful and crisp than RE4.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
Yeah the fact that Metroid Prime has bright colourful geometric shapes is probably a big help. RE4 is all muddy browns.

After 5 minutes I got over the graphics and was sucked back in, though! (And I don't think it looks any worse than on the original Wii on an HD TV.)

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

There's a couple weird things about how Metroid Prime displays. The image doesn't fill the whole screen, since I guess when the trilogy was released they were still worried about CRTs and overscan. Also, FMVs (like the elevator scenes) are stretched from 4:3 instead of re-rendered in 16:9.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

greatn posted:

Mario Galaxy 2 was jaggy as poo poo IMO.

Yeah, Mario Galaxy is terribly jaggy. I seriously thought that they enhanced the graphics of MP trilogy for the Wii digital release because it looks a lot better than Mario Galaxy.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is the Estore working for any of you? Anytime I try to buy something I get a "Store Down" error

IRSmurf
Mar 27, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Odd question (though it probably gets asked a lot around here): Just bought a New 3DS XL and dropped 40 bucks on Monster Hunter 4 U... but since I had to put in 50, I have $7.50 left over. Got any cheapo recommendations to throw my way? It's not like I can spend the money on anything else now. :v:

Azure Striker GUNVOLT theme

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

CJacobs posted:

Odd question (though it probably gets asked a lot around here): Just bought a New 3DS XL and dropped 40 bucks on Monster Hunter 4 U... but since I had to put in 50, I have $7.50 left over. Got any cheapo recommendations to throw my way? It's not like I can spend the money on anything else now. :v:

Attack of the Friday Monsters is 49 cent more.

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
Wait, you can always just choose to pay the exact price, right? You never "have to" put in $50.

edit: yeah same for me jivjov

edit2: But the eShop or whatever the previous version was called definitely used to be like that, so it's easy and understandable to overlook the option.

Mortley fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 24, 2015

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Mortley posted:

Wait, you can always just choose to pay the exact price, right? You never "have to" put in $50.

If you have a credit card on your account, yeah.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

noirstronaut posted:

If you have a credit card on your account, yeah.

You don't have to have it saved to the account; i key in my card info every time and can still do the "Add Needed Funds" option, even for 99 cent stuff.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Also I think the credit card and password are stored locally, not server side.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

CJacobs posted:

If you want a game, maybe Crashmo or Pokemon Puzzle Challenge (GBC)?

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
Club Nintendo Japan has put up new rewards, as well as ones planned for the future, like the MK8 soundtrack.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
JP Club Nintendo just got a bunch more items: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/club/tokuten/index.html

I can't add links/prices right now but here's a list of all the new stuff:

Mario Kart 8 OST (2-disc)
Nintendo Sound Selection: Mario & Peach (not pictured, 2-disc, I guess it's a compilation?)
"Nikki's Travel Quiz", a 3DS app starring the former Swapnote mascot
Various 3DS menu themes (Club Nintendo, Toad, Hanafuda Mario, Nintendo Hardware)
Luigi/Peach/Yoshi Wii Wheels that match to the corresponding Wiimotes
Mario 3D jigsaw puzzle
Majora's Mask jigsaw puzzle
Mario matching card set (60px/30 designs)
Drawstring bags (8-bit Mario, Animal Crossing)
Various shirts (Club Nintendo, Zelda Wind Waker, Animal Crossing, Game & Watch, SFC Controller, Game & Watch characters, two different Blooper shirts?)
Pixel Mario tissue box cover (not pictured)

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Please visit us as well, Swapnote Nikki.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
I hope the Mario Kart OST is eventually available in Australia. The Australian site has garbage on it.

Either that or some game downloads would be nice.

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Nintendo Sound Selection: Mario & Peach (not pictured, 2-disc, I guess it's a compilation?)

It wouldn't be the first time they've done this kind of thing.

Mad Katter posted:

I hope the Mario Kart OST is eventually available in Australia. The Australian site has garbage on it.

Either that or some game downloads would be nice.

CDs have been one of the few things to be consistently hitting the Aus Club Nintendo. We got the 3D World, Kirby: TD and Link Between Worlds soundtracks, so I wouldn't be too suprised if this also came.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

Those T-shirts are in JP sizes.

The ones costing 350 coins are kids sizes.
The 550 coin shirts are JP adult M and L, which is like US Small and Medium, if that.

I guess I'm going to shoot for a bunch of Major puzzles and use them as gifts or something.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I almost poo poo my pants thinking a Famicom was a reward.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
I'd like some hardware 3DS themes here too, well besides the Famicom one we already have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxsyl
Sep 23, 2012

Somewhere along the line Jill lost a chromosome.

But she kept dat ass.
Sad I can't use a controller, but faster load times, and I swear someone said I can use my save from the wii version is a big buy this eshop version consideration.