Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

psydude posted:

Probably so they can have access to your network of contacts.

Ah hah,

But can't they just buy Premium and get passed that?

Either way, it's not happening nor would my employer care to see all these to new connections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I just accept every connection request on LinkedIn. Is that wrong?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

Same, generally. Except for that guy from India, I didn't think I'd need that connection.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Inspector_666 posted:

There's a big argument for/against this on the LI thread. The OP there is for accepting requests.

I'm always highly amused when I get connections from goons. I suspect the comment about goon requests didn't mean SA goons, though?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Question about recruiters cold-calling (found resume on Dice or something) and dealing with the "What kind of goal range are you looking for" conversation: does http://www.kalzumeus.com/2012/01/23/salary-negotiation/ really apply in this case? Is this really where negotiation starts?

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Tab8715 posted:

What's with HR/Recruiter goons randomly friending me on LinkedIn?

Not it, haha... I think you connected with me, didn't you?

In general, there is no downside to connecting with someone on LinkedIn. Just turn off the ability to see your connections. It's in the security/privacy area. I turn mine off so other recruiters can't poach from my list too.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Question about recruiters cold-calling (found resume on Dice or something) and dealing with the "What kind of goal range are you looking for" conversation: does http://www.kalzumeus.com/2012/01/23/salary-negotiation/ really apply in this case? Is this really where negotiation starts?

I'll usually turn it around on them and ask them what the target range for the position is. Most of the time they won't actually mind divulging it, because it's not in their interests to pursue a candidate who is looking for more.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

There's a different incentive model for internal recruiters versus headhunting firms.

The goal of an internal recruiter is to find the best candidates they can while keeping costs down. This means that their salary goals are in opposition to your salary goals. Typically, the larger the company, the more you want to play hardball with the salary requirement with an internal recruiter, because their goals within the company are that much more specific and they're likely being benchmarked against their peers on starting salaries of candidates.

Headhunters, on the other hand, typically have a contract which says that they're paid a flat fee for placement, and this fee is usually a percentage of the employee's base salary. The individual recruiter is often paid a commission out of this. It's in the recruiter's best interests to try to get you the highest salary they possibly can while still landing you the position. This is advantageous for you first because if you end up lowballing and coming in below the low end of their range, the recruiters will usually adjust you ahead of time. If the recruiter is fairly confident that some candidate they submitted is going to get the job, they're going to keep pushing higher and higher with subsequent submissions. The shady ones will sometimes give the employer a number higher than the one you gave them.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 1, 2019

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Chickenwalker posted:

Hey, does anyone have any experience with Sysprep? I'd like to create an unattend.xml file solely to set the user name, password, and computer name automatically after I image a box. I have a template I downloaded online but I'm having trouble getting it to take when I deploy my images. Could someone mock up an example for me?

There are at least three different places you can put an unattend.xml file and they're all sort of weird. If you're running the sysprep GUI application you'll want to put your unattend in C:\Windows\Panther\unattend.xml. If you call it from the command line you can specify the path to unattend.xml, and if you're deploying with WDS you can call the unattend file from the WDS server role. The latter is my go to.

Also you want to generate your own unattend files, not use someone else's. Windows SIM is the tool for this

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Is there any value to going to these vendor sponsored free happy hour things? Is it going to be a time-share situation, where there is no escape? Or is this just a ploy to get more contact info?

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

ElGroucho posted:

Is there any value to going to these vendor sponsored free happy hour things? Is it going to be a time-share situation, where there is no escape? Or is this just a ploy to get more contact info?

The first half of these where you're drinking beer and networking are awesome. You can always bring a laptop and work through the sales pitch

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
Sent off an email to management last Friday, attached with my e-mail outsourcing proposal to Google Apps (we were choosing between office 365 and google apps for nonprofits). The guy who manages the trust behind our organization wanted Office365, literally everyone else wanted Google Apps, so he had us go through a huge selection process. Needless to say, after I had the director come in and straight-up tell me "we're doing google, this is just to shut him up", I felt a whole lot better about everything. All things considered I still did a fair process of evaluating both solutions, and the bottom line is a huge portion of our users are already using google's collaboration tools on personal accounts so it makes sense to make the switch. Also I hate managing e-mail, and we had an outage (ISP's fault) last week and people still got mad at IT for e-mails being rejected.

One thing though, I'm going through the standard google how to migrate, and I am thinking that it may be a good time to switch our AD domain name. We are currently org.local in Active Directory (a holdover that never got re-done). What are the implications of changing the domain to org.edu? My google apps account is set for org.edu, and they have tools in the directory sync tool to handle mapping different domain names around, but I've never changed domain names before, always just set it up as the actual domain. From what I'm reading, Exchange 2007 and up (our current email server) does NOT support domain rename process, but I was thinking if we are on google apps that it will work properly? Will it be easier to change my AD domain TLD to .edu before or after our e-mail migration?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

psydude posted:

I'll usually turn it around on them and ask them what the target range for the position is. Most of the time they won't actually mind divulging it, because it's not in their interests to pursue a candidate who is looking for more.

Misogynist posted:

There's a different incentive model for internal recruiters versus headhunting firms...

Cool thanks. I had a cold caller then seemed to be a pleasant conversation. He had a specific job in mind but it turned out to be below what I'm looking for but not too far off. He asked my desired compensation and I gave a high ballpark.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
After a tedious 3+ month security clearance process, I've finally started my job as a Sr. SCCM Admin. I get to my new desk and see it's empty. I asked when I would get my computer.

:shrug: "A few days. Maybe a week or so"

I'm starting to remember why I left government contracting in the first place.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Sacred Cow posted:

After a tedious 3+ month security clearance process, I've finally started my job as a Sr. SCCM Admin. I get to my new desk and see it's empty. I asked when I would get my computer.

"Maybe a week or so. Now get to work!"

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Sacred Cow posted:

A week is plenty of time to start studying whatever you'll need to know for your next job!

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 24, 2015

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

"Maybe a week or so. Now get to work!"

They've been having me read a 3 page SOP on how to deploy a package for 2 days. When the project manager saw the look on my face he started panicking and has been spending his day making sure I'm happy not spending my free time looking at Dice.

Edit : I've been introduced as "The SCCM guy" to a handful of people and every time has been met with "OH THANK GOD!" so who knows what I'm in for.

Sacred Cow fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 24, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Spudalicious posted:

Sent off an email to management last Friday, attached with my e-mail outsourcing proposal to Google Apps (we were choosing between office 365 and google apps for nonprofits). The guy who manages the trust behind our organization wanted Office365, literally everyone else wanted Google Apps, so he had us go through a huge selection process. Needless to say, after I had the director come in and straight-up tell me "we're doing google, this is just to shut him up", I felt a whole lot better about everything. All things considered I still did a fair process of evaluating both solutions, and the bottom line is a huge portion of our users are already using google's collaboration tools on personal accounts so it makes sense to make the switch. Also I hate managing e-mail, and we had an outage (ISP's fault) last week and people still got mad at IT for e-mails being rejected.

One thing though, I'm going through the standard google how to migrate, and I am thinking that it may be a good time to switch our AD domain name. We are currently org.local in Active Directory (a holdover that never got re-done). What are the implications of changing the domain to org.edu? My google apps account is set for org.edu, and they have tools in the directory sync tool to handle mapping different domain names around, but I've never changed domain names before, always just set it up as the actual domain. From what I'm reading, Exchange 2007 and up (our current email server) does NOT support domain rename process, but I was thinking if we are on google apps that it will work properly? Will it be easier to change my AD domain TLD to .edu before or after our e-mail migration?

Probably best suited to the enterprise Windows thread, but Google Apps Directory Sync doesn't care about .local domains, it goes by whatever the email address is set to on the user object.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Methanar fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 6, 2016

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Not a great day for Office 365

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

That must be Photoshopped. SharePoint is actually green :stare:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Docjowles posted:

It's a trap

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Docjowles posted:

No issues besides being sharepoint that is.

:v:

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Methanar fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 6, 2016

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Methanar posted:

Okay I'm at the place I'm supposed to be interviewed at and it's extremely run down. It's surrounded by used car dealer ships, bottle depots and tattoo places so I might get my kidneys stolen instead.

Are you alive?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Methanar posted:

Got the job. Looks like a huge amount of money for (for me) not that much work and I get a ton of opportunities to make friends with other people who will give me a job. Soon there's going to be a huge rack of servers with Debian for me to play with.

Everything went better than expected :shobon:

Congrats!

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

psydude posted:

I like and respect him, so I'll probably do that. I'm not worried about them giving me the boot, because they can still bill for me during the remaining two weeks and I've also been working on several projects that need to be handed over.

How did this go?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Anybody have any idea why the HDMI output on a laptop would stop working when viewing certain websites? Drivers have been updated, but issue persists.

Also, gently caress you Salesforce

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

That is hilarious, do the sites have any DRM content?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

MrMoo posted:

That is hilarious, do the sites have any DRM content?

I'm trying to look through the source code; I'm no web developer, but it looks so loving bad... it starts to have visual anomalies along the search bar, so that's where I'm starting

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Paladine_PSoT posted:

How did this go?

Without issue. Boss, PM, and good coworker were all bummed, but weren't surprised with the recent implosion of the client's management and my federal coworker going off the deep on several occasions.

Quitting a job where you like the people is kind of like breaking up with someone.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

psydude posted:

Without issue. Boss, PM, and good coworker were all bummed, but weren't surprised with the recent implosion of the client's management and my federal coworker going off the deep on several occasions.

Quitting a job where you like the people is kind of like breaking up with someone.

"It's not you, it's me. We can still be friends, let's be the first to actually mean that."

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

ElGroucho posted:

I'm trying to look through the source code; I'm no web developer, but it looks so loving bad... it starts to have visual anomalies along the search bar, so that's where I'm starting

Compare browsers, you may have a graphics issue, you can try disabling acceleration in say Google Chrome. It probably changes location in the settings every other version though:

http://www.solveyourtech.com/turn-hardware-acceleration-google-chrome/

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

psydude posted:

Yeah, that's the lovely part about my situation. I leave at the end of the week at my current place to join in MSP hell once more and goddamn it I will miss some of the people here.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

psydude posted:

poo poo, I felt bad leaving a part time minimum wage helpdesk spot for a 20/hr full time gig because I really liked the people there. I visit occasionally since they're not far.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Dark Helmut posted:

Not it, haha... I think you connected with me, didn't you?

In general, there is no downside to connecting with someone on LinkedIn. Just turn off the ability to see your connections. It's in the security/privacy area. I turn mine off so other recruiters can't poach from my list too.

Yes, but unlike these other recruiters I actually knew who you were. I didn't know about that security option either...

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

psydude posted:

I did this, left my former employer to work for one of their vendors. Former employer loves having me manage their account because I know intimately how they operate. I loved everyone I worked with and the company, but a better opportunity presented itself.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
So I might be getting fired since I missed an important meeting with the bosses because I can't read the calendar right and managed to get stuck on work on the wrong date. I'm an outsourced resource btw.
I should have taken those carreer management classes back in grad school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Honest Thief posted:

So I might be getting fired since I missed an important meeting with the bosses because I can't read the calendar right and managed to get stuck on work on the wrong date. I'm an outsourced resource btw.
I should have taken those carreer management classes back in grad school.

Even as a contractor I can't imagine that missing a meeting is a one and done situation.