Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I guess I'm watching Cool Runnings tonight. Everyone I know grew up loving that movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't know how long it's been on there, but all 4 seasons of The Thick of It are on Hulu. It's the dude who created the very similar-in-concept HBO show Veep and it is even more hilarious because the people have funny accents. If you don't watch it you're a loser or something.

If you're allergic to paying for Hulu Plus (I'm not sure if it's on free or not) there's a 2 month free trial option for PS4 and probably other platforms too. Assuming you're an adult and own a debit card it's worth it for free.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

precision posted:

I don't know how long it's been on there, but all 4 seasons of The Thick of It are on Hulu. It's the dude who created the very similar-in-concept HBO show Veep and it is even more hilarious because the people have funny accents. If you don't watch it you're a loser or something.

If you're allergic to paying for Hulu Plus (I'm not sure if it's on free or not) there's a 2 month free trial option for PS4 and probably other platforms too. Assuming you're an adult and own a debit card it's worth it for free.

It's also on the UK region Netflix. Watch it if you want to hear creative insults from Peter Capaldi https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk75R9uTMmo

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

magnificent7 posted:

I just watched 3/4 of that poo poo punchline snark fest. gently caress that movie. It does not take a wild turn. It does not hide a secret hilarity. It's a script assembled by tweets.

best review on Netflix:

Your generation was responsible for Birth of a Nation. You have no high road. :corsair:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

magnificent7 posted:

I just watched 3/4 of that poo poo punchline snark fest. gently caress that movie. It does not take a wild turn. It does not hide a secret hilarity. It's a script assembled by tweets.

best review on Netflix:

I sort of agree. This movie was for people not me. It was well directed and it actually had more of a script than half the poo poo that gets released, but I thought it was awful. I did watch the whole thing because I hate myself.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
I loving loved Detention but then again I have severe a.d.d. so it was practically tailor-made for me. Speaking of Kahn, he's got a new short film out:

https://vimeo.com/120401488

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
I always figured I would hate Detention, and now that I know it's by the same dude as that power rangers short I know I would.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Eggnogium posted:

I always figured I would hate Detention, and now that I know it's by the same dude as that power rangers short I know I would.

We can't be friends.

After watching that short I now want to see James Van Der Beek play the leading role in an action flick.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I can't wait until both Detention and Snowpiercer are off Netflix.

And I loved Detention. :colbert:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

precision posted:

I can't wait until both Detention and Snowpiercer are off Netflix.

And I loved Detention. :colbert:

What's wrong with Snowpiercer?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Chichevache posted:

What's wrong with Snowpiercer?

Snowpiercer owns, this thread discussing Snowpiercer does not own.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

the cg, the acting except for that one chick, the gross bugs part, the lovely 'what hath humanity's endless hubris wrought' allegory, also it's pretty boring

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Skywalker OG posted:

Robocop 2014 puts out some great ideas that are alternative to the original but are more relevant today that are absolutely worth exploring but I think it didn't stick the landing.

The thing that I think I admire the most about RoboCop 2014 is that it does exactly what a remake should: It takes the concept of the original and then spins it in a new direction, as opposed to slavishly adhering to the original in a futile attempt to just recreate the magic.

You're right that it doesn't quite stick the landing (Kinnaman is a black hole of charisma, Bronfman's score is awful) but there's a lot more good stuff in there than I expected.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Netflix stuff for March. Kind of a light month, but Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt looks funny, and I've been meaning to see Life Itself and The Man With The Iron Fists. How to Train Your Dragon 2 is probably a big get, as well.

quote:

March 1
30 for 30: Of Miracles and Men (2015)
The Brothers Grimm (2005)
Evelyn (2002)
Finding Neverland (2004)
Mercy Rule (2014)
Monster High: 13 Wishes (2013)
Patch Adams (1998)
Rules of Engagement (2000)
Teen Witch (1989)

March 5
The ABCs of Death 2
Food Chains (2014)

March 6
Aziz Ansari Live at Madison Square Garden (2015)
My Own Man (2014)

March 9
After the Fall (2014)
Cesar Chavez (2014)
The Angriest Man in Brooklyn (2014)
Tyler Perry's The Single Moms Club (2014)

March 10
Monster High: Haunted (2015)

March 11
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014)

March 15
Marvel & ESPN Films Present: 1 of 1: Genesis (2014)

March 17
Dummy (2002)
You're Not You (2014)

March 19
Life Itself (2014)

March 20
God's Not Dead (2014)

March 23
November Man (2014)

March 27
Frankie & Alice (2010)

March 31
Ask Me Anything (2014)
The Man With the Iron Fists (2012)

TELEVISION
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (season 1, March 6)
Archer (season 5, March 7)
Glee (season 5, March 7)
A Different World (complete series, March 15)
Third Rock From the Sun (complete series, March 15)
Bloodline (season 1, March 20)
Mad Men (season 7, March 22)
Garfunkel and Oates (season 1, March 25)
Turn (season 1, March 25)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

quote:

Third Rock From the Sun (complete series, March 15)

Oh hell yes.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Nice, more Archer, more Mad Men, and Teen Witch! :woop:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Man With The Iron Fists is amazing

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Chichevache posted:

Your generation was responsible for Birth of a Nation. You have no high road. :corsair:
Get off my goddamn lawn.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

morestuff posted:

Netflix stuff for March. Kind of a light month, but Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt looks funny, and I've been meaning to see Life Itself and The Man With The Iron Fists. How to Train Your Dragon 2 is probably a big get, as well.

What is that ESPN/Marvel thing.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Capital S Synergy

quote:

Marvel Entertainment and ESPN Films are proud to announce the feature-length documentary “1 of 1 – Genesis” and short film series “1 of 1 – Origins,” two all-new projects combining the powerful storytelling sensibilities of these two entertainment leaders for the very first time. Both the documentary and the short film series will provide viewers a unique look at some of the world’s most successful athletes by mixing the award-winning non-fiction style of ESPN Films with classic Marvel comic book art, design and creative animation to truly bring a unique perspective to the journeys of these key figures.

The documentary film, “1 of 1 – Genesis,” is currently available on Digital HD through select digital retailers. It explores the connections between Marvel’s mightiest Super Heroes and the world’s greatest athletes while attempting to answer the age-old question of nature vs. nurture: Are top athletes born or created?

The “1 of 1 – Origins” short film series will launch this summer on SportsCenter and across ESPN’s digital platforms simultaneously. Each short film focuses on a single athlete, all of whom have, like all Marvel Super Heroes, a defining story of the origin of their powers in their ascent to greatness in their sport.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Something incredibly stupid.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Nice, ABC's of Death 2. No way was I spending money on that thing.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Haha that sounds loving horrible.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Man With The Iron Fists is incredibly fun. The original cut was four hours, and I wish it were available somewhere. Such a great world.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

It looks like Netflix bought that Pee-Wee/Apatow movie, too

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

Man With The Iron Fists is incredibly fun. The original cut was four hours, and I wish it were available somewhere. Such a great world.

The only fun I had watching that movie was imagining what sort of direction was given to Russel Crowe to wind up with that performance/the performance itself. RZA should never, ever act.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Man with the Iron Fists might be the worst kung fu movie I've ever seen. It's certainly the dullest.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Man With the Iron Fists was acceptable because the theater was only my friend and I and we were super blazed. Even with that, it was still just okay. I imagine if I watched it stone sober I'd find it very bad.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Marketing New Brain posted:

The only fun I had watching that movie was imagining what sort of direction was given to Russel Crowe to wind up with that performance/the performance itself. RZA should never, ever act.

RZA was just fine in Californication. Of course he was basically playing RZA, but it was better than that poo poo movie.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

weekly font posted:

Man With the Iron Fists was acceptable because the theater was only my friend and I and we were super blazed. Even with that, it was still just okay. I imagine if I watched it stone sober I'd find it very bad.

ah yes, the ever popular "lol only good stoned" movie goer.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

weekly font posted:

My expectations are low, but I enjoy RZA: Maverick Auteur even if the solo stuff he puts out tends to be crap

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Chichevache posted:

RZA was just fine in Californication. Of course he was basically playing RZA, but it was better than that poo poo movie.

I kind of feel like you are agreeing with me, because you just described his acting range as "being himself" which is the exact acting range of all lovely actors.

Maybe he's just a really lovely director and he kept telling himself to mumble and sleepwalk through the part and he's a fabulous actor.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Short Penguin posted:

Sorry I didn't treat Man With The Iron Fists with all the respect it deserved.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Smoking weed and watching kung fu movies is a proud tradition.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Are the actual fight scenes any good in Man with the Iron Fists?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Marketing New Brain posted:

I kind of feel like you are agreeing with me, because you just described his acting range as "being himself" which is the exact acting range of all lovely actors.

Maybe he's just a really lovely director and he kept telling himself to mumble and sleepwalk through the part and he's a fabulous actor.

Eh, I've watched enough musicians and athletes try to act that RZA's performance in Californication stood out to me as being "better than average for not an actor".

Short Penguin posted:

Some of us like to get baked and watch a movie sometimes:shrug:. There's nothing wrong with giving a rec based on that. Don't be a weirdo.

Basebf555 posted:

Are the actual fight scenes any good in Man with the Iron Fists?

There is some fun stuff. Dave Bautista gives a decent preview of his character in Guardians of the Galaxy. However, it is an R rated film set in a brothel, yet there is no nudity. That felt like a very odd choice to me.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 24, 2015

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

morestuff posted:

Smoking weed and watching kung fu movies is a proud tradition.

It was my entire college experience.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
If you can't enjoy a low-budget kung-fu movie that starts with a fight scene set to Wu-Tang Clan's "Shame on a Nigga", then you won't like it. I didn't go into it for acting. I went in it for weird characters, costumes, fight scenes and hip-hop music, and had a good time. There are worse ways to spend two hours.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Batista's fight is probably the best but I was disappointed his weak spot wasn't his balls, because that's a kung fu movie staple for iron skins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Franchescanado posted:

If you can't enjoy a low-budget kung-fu movie that starts with a fight scene set to Wu-Tang Clan's "Shame on a Nigga", then you won't like it. I didn't go into it for acting. I went in it for weird characters, costumes, fight scenes and hip-hop music, and had a good time. There are worse ways to spend two hours.

See, it's one of those things that sounds potentially great on internet paper, but when you watch the real thing it feels like a giant lovely joke.