Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

GreyjoyBastard posted:

There was a related episode in Florence where the cardinal from there was deeply concerned about excessive dude-on-dude action, so he recommended that lady prostitutes be allowed to display their wares from their windows.
So basically wether sex with women that were not your wife was if not "ok" then at least "understandable" depended on the existing amount of homophobia? Heh.

Does female homosexuality have any place at all in historic texts, or did they do it 100% below covers so to speak?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Nektu posted:

So basically wether sex with women that were not your wife was if not "ok" then at least "understandable" depended on the existing amount of homophobia? Heh.

Does female homosexuality have any place at all in historic texts, or did they do it 100% below covers so to speak?

Well, there's always Sappho. But she was more classical than medieval.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Persia. I'm really wondering what's up with the female monobrow in Zand and Qajar paintings.

Ha! A persian annecdote: Ferdowsi is walking home tipsy from a merry meeting with friends, he sees his attendant running towards him from afar, waving excitedly. As he approaches he reports "Sir, Sir! Your mother in law has arrived! The whole house is alight with her presence!" Ferdowsi grumbles: "May god give that the house is alight on her".

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
One way medieval Islam managed to legally deal with the whole young people wanting to bone but it being impure was the concept of a temporary marriage. Nikah mut‘ah dates back to pre-Islamic times and is a marriage contract that stipulates the dowry and duration of a marriage in advance. Eventually this got to the point where a judge could issue you a licence for a few hours and then have it be null afterwards. Nowadays it's forbidden by Sunnis on various legal grounds. For example (stealing this straight from Wikipedia) the Hanafis view the contract itself as valid, but due to the fact marriage is defined (or intended to be) as a permanent state, a temporary contract is automatically void. Twelver Shi'is accept it as valid but there are greater constraints.

Just wanted to say in regards to the whole Persia v. Turkey thing earlier. Before and during the Ottoman-Safavid wars, Selim the Grim of the Ottomans and Ismail of the Safavids corresponded. The letters were antagonistic but it's interesting to note the language they used. Selim the Grim wrote to Ismail in Persian while Ismail preferred to write in Turkish - Persian being a very aristocratic and learned language (befitting a Sultan of then the most powerful Islamic Empire), and Turkish being more appropriate for a young upstart ruler from the backwoods of north Iran.

Testikles fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Feb 16, 2015

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

JaucheCharly posted:

Persia. I'm really wondering what's up with the female monobrow in Zand and Qajar paintings.

Ha! A persian annecdote: Ferdowsi is walking home tipsy from a merry meeting with friends, he sees his attendant running towards him from afar, waving excitedly. As he approaches he reports "Sir, Sir! Your mother in law has arrived! The whole house is alight with her presence!" Ferdowsi grumbles: "May god give that the house is alight on her".

truly all cultures not as different as they like to think

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Pavel Moc just told me he is no longer making rapiers. Can anyone recommend rapiers of similar quality? His are really pretty and I'm disappointed now.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
So in the unlikely scenario where a minor noble or peasant kills a general of an opposing do they receive a commendation or the chance to be adopted To the royal family?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

gyrobot posted:

So in the unlikely scenario where a minor noble or peasant kills a general of an opposing do they receive a commendation or the chance to be adopted To the royal family?
If you capture the enemy's king, you get ennobled probably.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alonso_Pita_da_Veiga
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_de_Urbieta

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

gyrobot posted:

If you are a Persian, you are rewarded with excruciating death (According to the Greeks).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scaphism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mithridates_(soldier)

On this topic, is the idea of being a "glory hound" within the pike formation ever in play? What separates a flamboyant soldier from a reckless one?

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 17, 2015

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

On this topic, is the idea of being a "glory hound" within the pike formation ever in play? What separates a flamboyant soldier from a reckless one?
Yeah, and the Spanish will loving fine you for advancing too fast. The difference is whether it's good for the group or not. (Of course, since a pike is not good at all for single combat, what's good for the group is good for you.)

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Feb 17, 2015

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

HEY GAL posted:

Yeah, and the Spanish will loving fine you for advancing too fast. The difference is whether it's good for the group or not. (Of course, since a pike is not good at all for single combat, what's good for the group is good for you.)

Advancing too fast through the chain of command, or literally advancing too fast in the formation?

Railtus
Apr 8, 2011

daz nu bi unseren tagen
selch vreude niemer werden mac
der man ze den ziten pflac

EvanSchenck posted:

Thanks for the answers. As a followup, I was wondering why lamellar was commonly used in Russia and East Asia but very seldom in Europe and the Middle East. Does it have any specific advantages or disadvantages of protection, flexibility, or weight compared to mail, plate, and brigandine? Were there production factors? For example, I think I've read that a major reason for the adoption of plate wasn't necessarily that it was more protective, but rather improvements in smithing technology made it faster and cheaper to produce than mail.

Adding a comment to this, because I had not covered lamellar. I got this from Dan Howard:

Sakakibara Kozan wrote about the problems with Japanese armor while on extended campaigns.

"When soaked with water the armor becomes very heavy and cannot be quickly dried; so that in summer it is oppressive and in winter liable to freeze. Moreover, no amount of washing will completely free the lacing from any mud or blood which may have penetrated it, and on long and distant campaigns it becomes evil-smelling and overrun by ants and lice, with consequent ill effects on the health of the wearer."

it might be specific to Japanese armour, although I think it might be an issue with lamellar in general (to a lesser extent?).

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Animal posted:

Advancing too fast through the chain of command, or literally advancing too fast in the formation?
The second. You're not allowed to charge out ahead in pursuit of your own renown. The Spanish cite this as evidence that their own people are naturally better soldiers. :D

Invincible Spleen
Nov 13, 2008

HEY, TAXI!

HEY GAL posted:

Pavel Moc just told me he is no longer making rapiers. Can anyone recommend rapiers of similar quality? His are really pretty and I'm disappointed now.

Have a look at Marco Danelli's work.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

His stuff is very obviously machine finished which probably keeps the price down. He hides his welds very well, and the price looks good. I say go for it, hegel.

try to get something like this http://www.danelliarmouries.com/index.php/custom-swords/rapiers/110-seven-ring-rapier-3

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Man that is beautiful. We should do a kickstarter to get hegel armed. Like the villagers would arm their guys before sending them to war, the forums can arm her.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I am assuming that rapier is authentic in dimensions, right? It's apparently 48", from the page, which seems really long. How do you draw something like that from a scabbard? I have a handled costume swords in the 36" range and they were kind of awkward to draw from the hip, I can't imagine what you do with a 48" one besides give it to a gibbon. Is there a technique that makes it work?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

HEY GAL posted:

http://www.darkwoodarmory.com/

They make pretty good rapiers, and they come in at a great starting price for the economy rapier.

There's also Regenyei (http://www.regenyei.com/) who has an American distributor. If you're interested PM me and I'll send you his email.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 18, 2015

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Ashcans posted:

I am assuming that rapier is authentic in dimensions, right? It's apparently 48", from the page, which seems really long. How do you draw something like that from a scabbard? I have a handled costume swords in the 36" range and they were kind of awkward to draw from the hip, I can't imagine what you do with a 48" one besides give it to a gibbon. Is there a technique that makes it work?

You use a thing called a hanger so the rapier sits correctly

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Out of curiosity, Hegel, did the armorers and the swordsmiths of the early modern era tend to be prima donnas, or were they more into producing their equipment on an early industrial scale for the sake of money? It strikes me, too, that with the demand for (good) swords reduced in the modern era the few remaining master smiths might end up a bit eccentric or fussy, too. Is that the case?

Invincible Spleen
Nov 13, 2008

HEY, TAXI!

Ashcans posted:

Ridolpho Capo Ferro (1610) had some brief words of advice:

Capo Ferro posted:

METHOD OF PLACING THE HAND ON THE SWORD
Because in all countries the customs are not the same and many a time enmities are practised with little integrity, in order to remain prepared for all these mishaps, it will not be out of the purpose to teach the method of placing the hand on the sword. First, we come to deal with its management. Whereupon, if by chance you have the right leg forward in placing your hand on the sword, as one of these figures shows, bring the said leg backwards, extending the right arm in high prima at the same time. If by chance you find yourself with the left leg forward, as the other figure shows, it does not happen unless you draw forth the sword in the above said manner without changing the step. If you will make use of the sword and either cape, sword, or dagger, so also with single sword, the true method is by first placing the right step forward to present yourself in quarta, or if the adversary is near, you will bring the left foot backwards presenting yourself as above. At this time, with your convenience, you will be able to embrace the cape or drive the hand to the dagger with more security, since the point of your sword will make it so that the adversary stands far away while you will arrange yourself with your weapons. This is as much as occurs to me to say about this particular thing.

Thibault (1628) depicted it along the top of this plate from his book:

And Bruchius (1671) showed it like so:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Verisimilidude posted:

http://www.darkwoodarmory.com/

They make pretty good rapiers, and they come in at a great starting price for the economy rapier.
Yeah, and everyone I know in the US has one. They all look so samey now.
Thank

Animal posted:

Man that is beautiful. We should do a kickstarter to get hegel armed. Like the villagers would arm their guys before sending them to war, the forums can arm her.
Stretch Goal: We don't burn your house down

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Invincible Spleen posted:

Ridolpho Capo Ferro (1610) had some brief words of advice:

Thibault (1628) depicted it along the top of this plate from his book:

And Bruchius (1671) showed it like so:

Thank you for this, it's very informative!

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

HEY GAL posted:

Yeah, and everyone I know in the US has one. They all look so samey now.

Yeah they are basically the default for folks buying a sparring blade in the US. Castille making some good inroads in that business as well and can do custom work(including recreation of museum pieces) for a fairly reasonable price as well.

The smaller places tend to be quite a bit pricier and it gets into a lot of personal preference as you get into guys who are doing everything old fashioned and accurate. Ask a group of sword collectors for their favorite maker and you'll get as many answers as people.

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot
Castille is really good. Got a sword from them about a month ago. Lifetime warranty on the hilt and ten years on the blade. Really excellently made, plus I know the dude IRL and he's a really great guy.

e: his hilts also work with darkwood blades.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Zeitgueist posted:

Yeah they are basically the default for folks buying a sparring blade in the US. Castille making some good inroads in that business as well and can do custom work(including recreation of museum pieces) for a fairly reasonable price as well.

The smaller places tend to be quite a bit pricier and it gets into a lot of personal preference as you get into guys who are doing everything old fashioned and accurate. Ask a group of sword collectors for their favorite maker and you'll get as many answers as people.

The prices at Castille are great and he does some amazing looking work (especially his custom swords) but I'm not sure of the build quality and he pretty explicitly states they're strictly for SCA combat. They also seem surprisingly light (2 pounds at the heaviest), which depending on what you're looking for can be good or bad.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Verisimilidude posted:

The prices at Castille are great and he does some amazing looking work (especially his custom swords) but I'm not sure of the build quality and he pretty explicitly states they're strictly for SCA combat. They also seem surprisingly light (2 pounds at the heaviest), which depending on what you're looking for can be good or bad.

SCA rapier combat is probably a solid 2/3 or more of sparring-quality rapier sales, the HEMA community is way more into metal and synthetic longsword wasters. I've met the guy and purchased a sword from him, he plays SCA and that's his target for sure. However there's not a huge market for rapiers out there, there's room for maybe a couple of big, relatively inexpensive producers, and then there's a bunch of smaller guys who do amazing work and all by hand but cost a ton and take a while. I suggest them as someone different from Darkwood in terms of hilt look.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Verisimilidude posted:

There's also Regenyei (http://www.regenyei.com/) who has an American distributor. If you're interested PM me and I'll send you his email.
PM me; I don't see any prices on the website.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Zeitgueist posted:

SCA rapier combat is probably a solid 2/3 or more of sparring-quality rapier sales, the HEMA community is way more into metal and synthetic longsword wasters. I've met the guy and purchased a sword from him, he plays SCA and that's his target for sure. However there's not a huge market for rapiers out there, there's room for maybe a couple of big, relatively inexpensive producers, and then there's a bunch of smaller guys who do amazing work and all by hand but cost a ton and take a while. I suggest them as someone different from Darkwood in terms of hilt look.

That's good to know. I had an economy rapier but it felt pretty chunky, and I'm looking for a messer and arming sword. Maybe I'll bite the bullet, they're inexpensive and he says they're good for HEMA.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

curious lump posted:

Castille is really good. Got a sword from them about a month ago. Lifetime warranty on the hilt and ten years on the blade. Really excellently made, plus I know the dude IRL and he's a really great guy.

that warranty honestly surprises me quite a bit, because it doesn't look like he peens the pommels on. Are they welded? Epoxied? Tapped for threads?

The grips by-and-large look chunky and uncomfortable. A particularly egregious example can be found here. The grips on their single-handers all seem identical, despite these clearly being custom pieces.

Another thing that concerns me is the fact that the crossguard is wider than it is thick on this longsword which is, uh, unusual, to say the least.

What I'm saying is that they certainly are cheap, and they certainly look it. I don't worry so much about how breakable they are (excepting my concerns with the pommel) but rather whether they feel good in the hand.

This is not even getting into their "my first tattoo" aesthetic because, of course, taste is subjective.

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot
I use one of his rapiers so I can't comment on his other weapons, I'm not sure how he does his longswords but I think he's just started making them, so they might not be the same quality as his other weapons.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

that warranty honestly surprises me quite a bit, because it doesn't look like he peens the pommels on. Are they welded? Epoxied? Tapped for threads?

The grips by-and-large look chunky and uncomfortable. A particularly egregious example can be found here. The grips on their single-handers all seem identical, despite these clearly being custom pieces.

Another thing that concerns me is the fact that the crossguard is wider than it is thick on this longsword which is, uh, unusual, to say the least.

What I'm saying is that they certainly are cheap, and they certainly look it. I don't worry so much about how breakable they are (excepting my concerns with the pommel) but rather whether they feel good in the hand.

This is not even getting into their "my first tattoo" aesthetic because, of course, taste is subjective.

Pommels are threaded.

But yeah, if you're looking for a museum replica hand blacksmithed look, that's not what he's going for(or probably capable of). More affordable sparring swords that are good for sparring and fit into the HEMA and SCA rulesets rather.

And yeah that longsword is weird looking, I think he was just playing around.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Hey I need to win an ~internet argument~ with some of my tabletop gamer buddies on IRC. Untrained peasant levies keep coming up, what's a good page to read up on how fighting people tended to be mostly professionals?

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Siivola posted:

Hey I need to win an ~internet argument~ with some of my tabletop gamer buddies on IRC. Untrained peasant levies keep coming up, what's a good page to read up on how fighting people tended to be mostly professionals?

Define professionals. There's a difference between a mercenary professional and a military class.

Also a difference between an untrained levy and a militia that does occasional training and is on hand to be called up.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

the JJ posted:

a militia that does occasional training and is on hand to be called up.

Wolverines!

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Siivola posted:

For one, feudalism (in European countries with feudalism) doesn't work like that. The lord of the domain can't call up the peasants for war, because fighting that war is his job. Especially in feudal countries with serfdom.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Kemper Boyd posted:

For one, feudalism (in European countries with feudalism) doesn't work like that. The lord of the domain can't call up the peasants for war, because fighting that war is his job. Especially in feudal countries with serfdom.

This really very much depends on time and place.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Disinterested posted:

This really very much depends on time and place.

Well, as does everything in history, but I feel that it's good enough for government work to say so. The Anglo-Saxons had the fyrd, but they weren't untrained. The Swedes had "gå man ur huse", which was basically "welp we are getting invaded so every bloke grab weapons and form up" but I can't actually remember a single case where it was carried out on a larger scale.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Siivola posted:

Depending on the period, either my posts or Rodrigo Diaz's posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Railtus
Apr 8, 2011

daz nu bi unseren tagen
selch vreude niemer werden mac
der man ze den ziten pflac

Siivola posted:

Even the Wikipedia articles would do:

Infantry in the Middle Ages - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infantry_in_the_Middle_Ages

Medieval Warfare - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_warfare - in particular the sections “Organization”, “Recruiting” and “Rise of infantry.”

This book covers the decline of the peasant levy - https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...0levies&f=false

Maurice Keen has also been recommended - http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Sqtj4rioa9UC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

You can also point to individual battles… almost any medieval battle, and ask them where the untrained peasant levies are mentioned.

Agincourt = longbowmen (elite troops), English men-at-arms (elite troops), and French knights (elite troops) and Italian crossbowmen (mercenaries).

Crecy = same pattern.

Courtrai/Golden Spurs = Flemish militia tradition vs French knights, although with French infantry clearly trained and equipped enough to have an initial advantage over the trained Flemish militia.

Jaffa = combined arms tactics used by the Crusaders, with teams of archers and spearmen allowing the Crusaders to shoot and shelter, while also protecting the archers from the Saracen cavalry.

In fact, the only battle I can think of in medieval Europe involving untrained peasant levies was Legnica fought against the Mongols, and that is because those sections of Eastern Europe were very demilitarised. You might also get some mileage by pointing to peasant revolts that got promptly steamrolled when an army met it. One article on the subject is here - http://www.loyno.edu/~history/journal/1986-7/milone.htm - this specific quote, “The commons could not hold onto what they had gained for several reasons. First of all, workingmen would not remain in the army. Second, they were untrained and unable to stand up against the royal troops. Third, they relied on sheer numbers.” That these are highlighted as weaknesses suggest that these were not typical traits of armies in the period.

Also, one book that comes to mind is German Medieval Armies 1300-1500 by Osprey publishing, which mentions a levy called in the 1400s – it lists the equipment required of each soldier, including body armour of iron or jerkin, gauntlets, iron hat, sword or knife (messer presumably), and either pike or crossbow or handgun or flail. This set of equipment does not fit with the untrained peasant levy description.

Refer to the Compagnies d’ordonnance: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compagnie_d%27ordonnance

Point to the English longbowmen and the level of training required of them. So that is… Germany, France, England… is a Spanish or Italian example necessary? I am not sure, but I feel this is strong enough to show a general pattern.

Regia Anglorum has an essay on the subject, which also mentions the decline of peasant levies - http://www.regia.org/research/warfare/fyrd2.htm

Some of the more entertaining answers seem to just be from message boards, I like this quote: “The peasant levy does seem to be for all practical purposes a myth. Rounding up a bunch of people and feeding them for a march of a couple of weeks so they could rout off the battlefield, probably exposing your professional troops was rightly appreciated to be as stupid as it sounds.”

Also, some quotes which suggest discipline was a very real thing, beyond that which would be expected of untrained peasants:
“Of all men, the Franks are the most cautious in warfare.” Usamah ibn Munqidh
“If any man should charge without orders, I will have their eyes put out if they survive the battle.” Roger of Palermo.

I hope these help!

• Locked thread