Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

just curious, is the second post talking about a rebel list or an imp list? I wanna know if that brilliant list was ever revealed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Local store got restocks and Scum in, and since I have no impulse control, I now have Most Wanted, Rebel Aces, and a Starviper in addition to the pair of Aggressors I had on preorder.

And I need to buy more sleeves for all the upgrades in all that. It's a lot of upgrades.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Irom posted:

just curious, is the second post talking about a rebel list or an imp list? I wanna know if that brilliant list was ever revealed.

I don't know since I don't know them personally and I'm not up there to play at store champs until spring break next week. If I do remember it as something notable for the store champs I will do, I'll let you know.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Devlan Mud posted:

Local store got restocks and Scum in, and since I have no impulse control, I now have Most Wanted, Rebel Aces, and a Starviper in addition to the pair of Aggressors I had on preorder.

And I need to buy more sleeves for all the upgrades in all that. It's a lot of upgrades.

Would you say the star viper is the only ship that's needed for cards (auto thruster) that rebels/imperials might want? Aside from maybe the off chance that Y-wings become viable again.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Chill la Chill posted:

Would you say the star viper is the only ship that's needed for cards (auto thruster) that rebels/imperials might want? Aside from maybe the off chance that Y-wings become viable again.

I haven't opened the Starviper yet so I don't know what else it comes with (couldn't find my scissors to deal with that drat clamshell before the Champions League came on) but I've been a big fan of the Mangler Cannon since it was spoiled, and would probably run it on an Outrider, if I was using one. I really like the BTL upgrade, but Y-Wings are my favorite Rebel fighter, and until the rebels get some other pilots for them I don't think it's really mandatory. Bomb Loadout is kind of a gimmick.

I'd have to look at the cards more, but autothrusters were the only reason I bought a Starviper today was to get them before the thing sold out.

I think it depends on what you're wanting to play, but from the very start Autothrusters and Mangler Cannon were the only things I really wanted for imperials and rebels respectively. Autoblaster Turret might end up being okay, I suppose.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I got everything except MW on Monday. I think Amazon is gonna get into some trouble for releasing poo poo early though.

The M3-A is quite small, like A-Wing sized. I'm not sure if i really want to double up on anything apart from MW and maaaaybe the IG-2000. I don't really want to run two IG-2000 lists.

Also, one of the 'wings' on my IG-2000 feels kind of loose: does anyone else have this?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Coolstuffinc sent me an email saying the Scum and Villainy stuff was in stock this morning

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Coolstuffinc sent me an email saying the Scum and Villainy stuff was in stock this morning

Yeah, it is. I pre-ordered some stuff and got the shipping notice yesterday that the label had been printed. It was set to go out today and I should get it tomorrow if that was the case.

I think I might pick up some stuff that's back in stock this weekend when I go to Orlando. :getin:

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 25, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I keep thinking about the Blaster Turret after someone mentioned replacing the Autoblaster turret for it on Kavil and I keep having deep misgivings that it is actually worth in comparison to an ion cannon turret. The main issue that I have with it is that I can't see it, at the best of times, being able to do more damage than a focused up ion cannon turret.

Average number of hits scored on an unfocused blaster turret: 1.5
Average number of hits scored on a focused ion cannon turret: 2.25

Let's say that you are facing a standard 2 agility enemy, without focus: 0.75 evade on average.

So for the blaster turret, on average, you are doing 0.75 damage per shot.
The focused up ion cannon turret will do 1.50 damage per shot.

The above average damage is also an indication of how likely you are to hit at all, which for the ion cannon turret, that's all that matter. Even then, having a better chance of doing 1 damage is better than the 0.75 damage per shot that the blaster turret (yeah, I know, you can't do 0.75 damage but it does show that the blaster turret if not focused has a lower chance of even doing the 1 damage that the ion cannon turret does, nevermind the 2 that it requires in order to make it worth using over the ion cannon turret).

If we add in Kavil, the damage per attack is 1.25 with the blast turret: it is better, but you are still more likely to do 1 damage than 2, and you are missing the added functionality of the ion cannon as well.

Even if you are facing a 1 agility enemy you are more likely to hit using the focused ion cannon turret, although I guess there is a higher chance to do two damage. Against 0 agility enemies, I think the blaster turret does take the edge.

tl;dr I can't really see the use of a blaster turret when it gives you less chance to do 1 damage and are unlikely to do the 2 damage that edges the blaster turret over the ion cannon turret.

Unless you have a way to get one more than one focus (target lock largely helps both list, and the non-blaster version is still better because you can use the focus to make it more likely to hit if you focus + TL), ion turret will always be a better choice.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Kavil with the R4 Agromech. Spends focus to activate turret, shoots with a target lock. You're rolling 4 dice outside arc, which with a reroll means you're practically guaranteed 2 hits, and are decently likely to see 3-4.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

On Kavil it is probably worth it if you are out of arc, if you are in arc (or you aren't using Kavil) you have the same chance to hit as a focused ion cannon turret (1.5 hits on average) against 2 dice agility. As well as that, you lose the opportunity cost of being able to use Unhinged and are pretty much forced to use your action to focus, since I don't really see a PtL Y-Wing being very good without access to Unhinged.

I guess it is pretty good firepower and much cheaper than going unhinged/ptl/engine upgrade, though.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
had a few games last night, my ragged rebels vs the empire. won the first one and lost the second, probably due to me positioning badly from the get go. Also bought a A-wing and a Z-95 to add to my collection. at this point i only need to buy an X-wing, E-wing and Y-wing to have every rebel small ship!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Dear thread: I just bought a complete Scum set off CoolStuff (plus a Decimator, since I don't have one of those yet). This stuff really is plastic crack.

I know for sure I'm gonna pick up a second IG-2000 at some point, for gimmicky double IG play, but what else is worth doubling up on? I'm thinking I need to grab a second Most Wanted to pad out my extra Scum cards, but I now have 3 Z95s and I hate swarm lists, so I really have no desire to own 5 of the bastards.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

There isn't really anything you have to double up on for S&V to be honest apart from the IG-2000. For the M3-A you really want a lot of them to do semi-swarms, I can't really see the use of using two Starvipers (and fortunately there are two autos within the pack) and MW you don't really need unless you are planning to fly a lot of Y-Wings/fly a Z swarm. The only reason why I am thinking of doubling up on the IG-2000 and MW is so that I can have 4 hot-shot blasters (I really wish they had included more :( )

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Yeah there isn't much reason (competitively) to double up on IG-2000 until something comes out to help him deal with Phantoms. Feedback Array is a neat gimmick but not something to rely on.

Assuming you are getting Scyk too, you get 2 Mangler Cannons already.

It's only for the dual build they want you to run

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
It seems like flying two Scum Firesprays could be fun. That's what has me thinking about a second Most Wanted.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Poopy Palpy posted:

It seems like flying two Scum Firesprays could be fun. That's what has me thinking about a second Most Wanted.

Did they only include 1 double sided token for Scum firesprays? I figured there's be 4 pilots/2tokens each

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Nah, there are two. If you don't care about tournament play, you should be able to run two (although you won't be able to have certain combinations of pilots). The really disappointing part is not having 3 Z dials, meaning that if you want to run Z swarms in tourneys you will have to re-buy all of the Zs that you have.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

jivjov posted:

Did they only include 1 double sided token for Scum firesprays? I figured there's be 4 pilots/2tokens each

There's 2 tokens, but you can't fly Fett and Kath or a pair of Mandalorian Mercs with them.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Ohh, so other than a 1-to-1 paint job swap, there aren't enough components to run previous z95s as scum or vice versa? Disappointing...

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, they supply a second Y-wing dial but not a third (or fourth!) z95 dial for some reason I can't tell. Maybe they are playing a bioware game and wanted to make sure that their alignment didn't move too far to either end of the scale to get the neutral ending.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

jivjov posted:

Ohh, so other than a 1-to-1 paint job swap, there aren't enough components to run previous z95s as scum or vice versa? Disappointing...
The problem is the dials. In tourneys, you have to have the correct faction dials. As well as that, you only get two Bynaire Pirates (the lowest PS Zs). In casual, who cares? Just use the rebel Z PS 1 pilot bases/cards as a proxy.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Yeah, they supply a second Y-wing dial but not a third (or fourth!) z95 dial for some reason I can't tell. Maybe they are playing a bioware game and wanted to make sure that their alignment didn't move too far to either end of the scale to get the neutral ending.

Good luck with that. They kicked an awful lot of puppies with C-3PO.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Tekopo posted:

The problem is the dials. In tourneys, you have to have the correct faction dials.
Really? People take issue with this? I can understand not allowing proxy cards, but the dials are purely cosmetic. It's the same movement template!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Really? People take issue with this? I can understand not allowing proxy cards, but the dials are purely cosmetic. It's the same movement template!

It's in the tournament rules. It helps prevent disputes over "doctored dials" etc.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The only thing that FFG doesn't care about for official tournaments is how the ship is painted. There wouldn't be any point in MW having two S&V Y-Wing dials if dials didn't matter.

For confirmation, I found this:

quote:

'Dear FFG,

With the announced release od the Most Wanted pack for X-Wing a lot of people have been asking the same question, namely, in tournaments can you use an S&V Y-Wing or Z-95 as a Rebel ship with a Scum faction dial but appropriate rebel pilot card and base token? And conversely, could you use a normal release Y-Wing as a scum ship using the appropriate Scum pilot card and base token?'

In tournaments, players will be required to use the appropriately matching dials, cards and punchboard with the faction they are playing. Alternatively, the plastic ships themselves are not required to “match” (i.e. a Scum player can use Rebel painted Y-wings).

Thanks for playing,

Frank Brooks
Associate Creative Content Developer
Fantasy Flight Games
fbrooks@fantasyflightgames.com

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Well poo poo.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I've been having fun with the snow.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

that building on the right owns

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Feels good man.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

has somebody been trying to gently caress that jabbafrog?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

does he like other hutts or is a deviant humanoid-lover like jabba

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Tekopo posted:

does he like other hutts or is a deviant humanoid-lover like jabba

Would YOU gently caress another hutt? Even if you were a hutt? I wouldn't. Gross

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

signalnoise posted:

Would YOU gently caress another hutt? Even if you were a hutt? I wouldn't. Gross

Hey, Hutt Shaming is NOT OK.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Tequila Ranger posted:

Hey, Hutt Shaming is NOT OK.

That's just because Hutts have no shame, so any attempt will just get you arrested by the pointless-boredom-police.

ExtraCheese
Apr 16, 2014
So yesterday I played a game in which all that I had left on the board was a couple of Academy Pilots and Whisper, my opponent had Kenkirk with Predator, Ysanne Isard and Rebel Captive. The situation felt pretty hopeless since Whisper was basically neutralised since if Whisper attacked then he'd get stressed and probably die soon after and two Academy Pilots didn't really feel enough to take down a Decimator with 10 health left, was there anything I could have done in that position or should I have been a prick and tried to play for a points victory by running away for the rest of the game?

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

ExtraCheese posted:

should I have been a prick and tried to play for a points victory by running away for the rest of the game?

Never do this

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

Never do this

If it's a tournament then it is a perfectly valid strategy.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

I'd try to park Whisper at R3, academies up in his grill, and see if I could get 2 rounds of shooting out of whisper. You have pilot skill advantage, so all you need is Whisper to have a point of hull left after the first exchange.

That is your best bet at any rate. Not a good matchup, but the only one that maybe gives you the win.

Edit: Last tourney I watched 2 A-wings plink a Decimator from full HP to 0 by flying around and only taking R3 potshots. Took 10+ rounds, 45 minutes, a LOT of rolls.

Val Helmethead fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Feb 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Partial Octopus posted:

If it's a tournament then it is a perfectly valid strategy.

This is why fat Han owns. Because he gets to shoot while doing so. :cool:

quote:

Edit: Last tourney I watched 2 A-wings plink a Decimator from full HP to 0 by flying around and only taking R3 potshots. Took 10+ rounds, 45 minutes, a LOT of rolls.

Yeah. People seem to enjoy trying to get into range one of that damned thing thinking it's great cuz of the extra die. Then they get killed quickly and are all stressed. I found the best thing to do with my Z's is to keep it as far away as possible because my reds and greens will win and your engine upgrade doesn't help you dodge.

• Locked thread