Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Purplesmurf
Feb 2, 2015
The Svipul is an incredible fc ship for hawks and harpies. Practically unkillable with 55k ehp (with heat).

Would love to see full Svipul fleets once the price comes down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Someday I'm going to copy a Namamai or Mikey fit they were using just to humiliate pubbies, and I'll wonder why my SRP got denied.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

MorsAnima posted:

The "hurr durr phoenix sucks" is just a long-running joke now. It's fantastic tank is far beyond the other 3, and it's damage application can be worked with. 1 single bonused recon can have it applying 3k dps to battleships, which is a whole lot more than turret dreads deal with missed shots. It's definitely catching on in wormholes, thanks to it's amazing self-tanking capabilities.

Now it's about how bad the Revelation is. Oh boy, the only thing that ship does well is look good.

It's the only dread that doesn't need ammo

Cap boosters aren't ammo guys

Also it can fit 3x heat sinks or whatever flavour of tracking enhancers you want and still have a useful armor tank

Plus the rule of cool > rule of useful

Demiurge4 posted:

I lost Minmatar and Gallante BS 5 three weeks before they removed clones because I'm an idiot and forgot to update, twice. :suicide:

I've panic cancelled undocking thinking that I forgot to update my clone.

MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010
I just feel completely shit on. These changes won't make a cat in hell's difference.

Purplesmurf posted:

It's already cheaper than the Confessor.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dirty Sanchez posted:

a rainbow laser, dual prop Sabre
I now want someone to do a comedy laser Sabre fleet on Labor Day. :downsrim:

Purplesmurf posted:

The Svipul is an incredible fc ship for hawks and harpies. Practically unkillable with 55k ehp (with heat).

Oh my god, you're cramming an LSE on there. That is so silly, and yet brilliant! And they can fit combat probes too. Are T3Ds going to be the FC boat of the future? Between the EHP, resists, and small sig, it's kinda ideal if you don't want to get FC sniped.

And the price is down already, they're selling for 44m right now.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 24, 2015

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
That didnt take long at all.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

CashEnsign posted:

http://crossingzebras.com/eve-fits-svipul/
JEFFM8TER seems to think its alright.

Thanks for the link. Definitely going to give one of those fits a try.

MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010
I just feel completely shit on. These changes won't make a cat in hell's difference.

Dr. Pangloss posted:

Thanks for the link. Definitely going to give one of those fits a try.

Don't. His fits are one dimensional and largely dependent on links. Will you motorboat t1 frigates 1v1? Some of them. Will you kill a good Confessor/Svipul? Toplol. His obsession with artillery is unhealthy and his inability to include a single active tank is just crazy, at least try and mix it up a bit, you know?

First, he uses a 1mn mwd on all of them. Terrible idea IMO, if you get scram/webbed you're dead no matter what magic guns/buffer you have. 10mn ABs give the same speed and are entirely immune to scrams, and will still disengage while webbed if your enemy has an mwd. Most non-idiots fit the Confessor with a 10mn AB, and the Svipul is no different. I've been scram/webbed by a goddamn LOKI and gotten away. Good luck with that with your mwd. The mwd really doesn't make the most of propulsion mode. If you're scrammed and switch you'll barely see a difference; the 10mn AB will still give you a huge boost.

Second, like I mentioned, he has no active tank fits. Svipul is capable of 2 different types of active shield tanks. Dual MASB (needs a 3% pg implant or downgrade to 150mm, you lose ~40dps), Cap injected + deadspace booster, which is easily my favourite fit, unlike the MASBs you can pretty much boost constantly until you blow through all your navy cap 400s. Can run the booster for about 12 minutes on a full cargo hold, which is beyond insane.

A booster fit against a buffer, you will win every single time. Thanks to the insane resists in defensive mode, the boosts are piling on EHP, much more than you get from a straight buffer fit. The injected fit tanks 1000ehp every 3 seconds and can tank for 12 goddamn minutes.

Of course, he's part of PL or Sniggwaffe or something, so the only thing he cares for is fleet stuff. Svipul is not a fleet ship at all, beyond the really small (<10) roaming gang perhaps. Destroyers are too weak for genuine fleet work, no idea why he tried to make it a thing.

MorsAnima fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 24, 2015

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

MorsAnima posted:

Don't. His fits are one dimensional and largely dependent on links. Will you motorboat t1 frigates 1v1? Some of them. Will you kill a good Confessor/Svipul? Toplol. His obsession with artillery is unhealthy and his inability to include a single active tank is just crazy, at least try and mix it up a bit, you know?

First, he uses a 1mn mwd on all of them. Terrible idea IMO, if you get scram/webbed you're dead no matter what magic guns/buffer you have. 10mn ABs give the same speed and are entirely immune to scrams, and will still disengage while webbed if your enemy has an mwd. Most non-idiots fit the Confessor with a 10mn AB, and the Svipul is no different. I've been scram/webbed by a goddamn LOKI and gotten away. Good luck with that with your mwd.

Second, like I mentioned, he has no active tank fits. Svipul is capable of 2 different types of active shield tanks. Dual MASB (needs a 3% pg implant or downgrade to 150mm, you lose ~40dps), Cap injected + deadspace booster, which is easily my favourite fit, unlike the MASBs you can pretty much boost constantly until you blow through all your navy cap 400s. Can run the booster for about 12 minutes on a full cargo hold, which is beyond insane.

A booster fit against a buffer, you will win every single time. Thanks to the insane resists in defensive mode, the boosts are piling on EHP, much more than you get from a straight buffer fit. The injected fit tanks 1000ehp every 3 seconds and can tank for 12 goddamn minutes.

Of course, he's part of PL or Sniggwaffe or something, so the only thing he cares for is fleet stuff. Svipul is not a fleet ship at all, beyond the really small (<10) roaming gang perhaps. Destroyers are too weak for genuine fleet work, no idea why he tried to make it a thing.

Counterpoint: with a 10mn ab you have the maneuverability of a loving brick. Also, maybe just git gud and dont get loving scrammed? I took out a 1mn, single masb, 280mm artillery svipul and anything that was fast enough to close range either broke off pursuit when slapped in the face with a 1200 volley or died in two shots. Combine that with the fact that a double nano svipul permaruns its mwd at 3872 and aligns in 2.9 seconds with the prop mod running and you'd have to be completely poo poo at eve to get tackled. Actually, no, because I'm poo poo at eve and nothing managed to tackle me. Yes, you will die if you try to do anything other than kite stuff, but go to BUZ and fly around the station for long enough and things will undock to try to catch you. Then you two shot them and drop gfs in local.

I had thrown this together with the plan to use it to clear tackle of the machariels that certain SV dudes love to take through WHs, but took it to BUz to test it out and had a blast.

[Svipul, cheap wh roamer]
Nanofiber Internal Structure II
Nanofiber Internal Structure II
Gyrostabilizer II
Tracking Enhancer II

Limited 1MN Microwarpdrive I
Tracking Computer II, Optimal Range Script
Medium Ancillary Shield Booster, Navy Cap Booster 50
Tracking Computer II, Tracking Speed Script

280mm Howitzer Artillery II, Tremor S
Expanded Probe Launcher I, Core Scanner Probe I
280mm Howitzer Artillery II, Republic Fleet Titanium Sabot S

Small Ancillary Current Router I
Small Auxiliary Thrusters II
Small Ionic Field Projector I

No tackle since generally people love to target fixate on machs, but I was still able to pop a couple nerds and test its ability to disengage (spoilers: can disengage very, very easily).

edit: Also, maybe its just me but both the confessor and svipul seem to be really easy to fit out in ways that have everything you'd want on the hull with little to no grid/cpu left over. It makes me feel like I'm fully utilizing the ship, which is probably some silly :spergin: on my part but still satisfying.

grumplestiltzkin fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 24, 2015

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
I'm quite surprised that the Svipul is already cheaper then the confessor. Probably industry guys were more preparated and knew what was gonna be the demand, but i'm still surprised that is already around 40mil

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

RattiRatto posted:

I'm quite surprised that the Svipul is already cheaper then the confessor. Probably industry guys were more preparated and knew what was gonna be the demand, but i'm still surprised that is already around 40mil

Why would anyone ever fly another non-dictor frig/destroyer ever again? It'll just get more ridiculous once the Caldari one comes out and its inevitably some total bullshit LML kiter that everyone puts 10mn ABs on.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Narciss posted:

Why would anyone ever fly another non-dictor frig/destroyer ever again? It'll just get more ridiculous once the Caldari one comes out and its inevitably some total bullshit LML kiter that everyone puts 10mn ABs on.

I haven't screwed round with them at all yet, but would it even be possible at this point to fit an AF or something specifically for hunting t3 destroyers in a rock-paper-scissors kind of way?

That would be pretty :ccp: for them to be entirely top-of-food-chain, not even vulnerable to something designed specifically to kill them.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

CommonShore posted:

I haven't screwed round with them at all yet, but would it even be possible at this point to fit an AF or something specifically for hunting t3 destroyers in a rock-paper-scissors kind of way?

That would be pretty :ccp: for them to be entirely top-of-food-chain, not even vulnerable to something designed specifically to kill them.

I genuinely doubt any frig could stand up to either of the d3s, especially a 10mn confessor. Any frig that could put out enough damage to break its tank will get eaten in short order, and anything tanky enough to sustain its dps isn't going to be able to break the confessors tank. You'd be better off hunting 1mn mwd svipuls, but even those are going to be hilariously hard to catch. IF you were in a garmur and IF you caught one way off of a gate/station and IF you were able to orbit closely enough to hold scram without getting popped by artillery then you could probably do it.

Then again, saying "you need the most hilariously OP frig in the game" doesn't really serve as proof that the d3s aren't themselves hilariously op. Good job :ccp:

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game

CommonShore posted:

It's pretty hard to even imaging something that can be able to strike well over a t3 destroyer without overwhelming every other ship flying in space as today

NyxBiker
Sep 24, 2014

RattiRatto posted:

It's pretty hard to even imaging something that can be able to strike well over a t3 destroyer without overwhelming every other ship flying in space as today

It's always like that. T3 destroyers will eventually get nerfed in a future for some reason like everything.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

CommonShore posted:

I've done a lot of thinking about it, and it's really damned hard. First off, you need to be able to keep up with the 10MN AB in propulsion mode, which generally means:

1) You need to be Sick Nasty Fast, and capable of engaging outside of Scorch range, or
2) You need to be 1MN AB, scram, web -- and on a hull that's reasonably snappy with AB (i.e. > 1k00m/s without overheated).

Next, you need to be able to put out at least ~200dps. A Confessor can stably tank 150dps without injecting -- that's guns and a single SAR on, no propmod -- and tank 300+ dps until it runs out of charges. (That's why the Garmur is a no-go; sure, it can engage at 40km and just rain missiles on the Confessor forever, but the Confessor can tank it forever without injecting. Ditto for the Slicer.)

Finally, you need to be able to not get wrecked by 300dps of laser damage. TDs are good; Minmatar T2 resists are good.

Considerable neuting pressure can save a little of the above, but it's not a guaranteed winner, and most frigs can't carry neuts well.

So, it's pretty damned hard to kill a competently fit T3 destroyer using a frigate or destroyer. You can farm incompetent ones easily enough, of course.

---

So, all that said, your options, IMHO, in rough order from most viable to least viable:

* The triple-neut solo Sentinel. Engage at 20km, neut the gently caress out of them, use your TD to keep alive.
* AB/scram/web/TD rocket Flycatcher. (Either 10MN or 1MN variants would work. Yes, there are 10MN AB Flycatchers in FW, and they hurt like a bitch.)
* AB/scram/web/TD armor Succubus.
* Any high-DPS AF with AB/scram/web, links preferred. Ishkur can work, although you'll need to patch your EM hole and leave your Exp hole open. Rocket Hawk with a TD could also work.
* 10MN AB neut Dragoon. (I've gotten some really close calls in this little monster. Unfortunately, I had to stop soloing in them, because they were getting expensive and they don't get SRP.)

All of these are going to be loving long rear end boring kills, and if they have any buddies show up, you're probably going to either A) die, or B) be forced to disengage.

Or, you could just get a friend. Adding a Sentinel to pretty much any AB frigate with tackle+DPS = dead T3D.

e: forgot to respond:

darth cookie posted:

I challenge you to get a solo kill with that fit.

That fit tries to cram four mid-slot modules (one of which is explicitly flagged as battleships only) on a ship with two mid-slots. Not even I can do that :(

(Besides, I'm at peacetime reimbursement cap, so no cheap soloing for me for a few weeks.)

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 24, 2015

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

ullerrm posted:

Or, you could just get a friend. Adding a Sentinel to pretty much any AB frigate with tackle+DPS = dead T3D.

e: forgot to respond:

That fit tries to cram four mid-slot modules (one of which is explicitly flagged as battleships only) on a ship with two mid-slots. Not even I can do that :(

(Besides, I'm at peacetime reimbursement cap, so no cheap soloing for me for a few weeks.)

Huh. Sentinels and cap neutralization shuts down T3Ds that hard?

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Artificer posted:

Huh. Sentinels and cap neutralization shuts down T3Ds that hard?

We're talking about the "standard" Confessor fit -- it's dual armor reps, a 10MN AB, and a full rack of guns, with only an injector to keep it going. Neuting pressure will _fuck it up_ eventually, although the injector cna keep it going for a while.

I'd actually say that I've never lost a Confessor without multiple neuts being involved.

(The Svipul, for obvious reasons, is more resilient to neuts -- but is still sensitive to TDs.)

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~

MorsAnima posted:

Cap injected + deadspace booster, which is easily my favourite fit, unlike the MASBs you can pretty much boost constantly until you blow through all your navy cap 400s. Can run the booster for about 12 minutes on a full cargo hold, which is beyond insane.
Your link goes to the dual MASB fit, but I assume it looks pretty much like the one I stumbled on when throwing fits against the wall the other day:

The ability to run a sustained tank that can completely shrug off 1-3 ships of a similar class is pretty cool, but that booster runs about 160m, and downgrading it loses you more tank than it saves you money. The mid-grade Crystals are about 600m, and thoroughly worth it in lowsec where the risk of loss is pretty much nil. I wouldn't fly this at all outside of lowsec. Also, I think with such a long run-time, I'd carry at least a quarter cargohold of Navy 200s to better handle neuting pressure. You can very nearly permarun the AB and booster on 200s anyway, so even half might not be a bad idea.

The ship's paper damage is definitely impressive, and like the Confessor, it's clearly very strong overall, but I'm still not sold on the low-agility 10mn fits that are obligate point-blank brawlers from lack of grid to fit artillery. Using its speed and non-modal optimal bonus for a fast artillery kiter seems like a much better and safer application of its bonuses. It has more alphastrike than a Thrasher (~2100 with short-range faction) and it's potentially faster than any other destroyer hull (and most frigate hulls), so there's very little that can threaten it when flown defensively. I suppose people will eventually stop trying to engage fast kitey ones, and it won't be as easy to get fights with.

ullerrm posted:

Solo hunting either T3 destroyer is not going to work out well, because they have too much combined tank+speed+damage. An RLML/2xBCS Rapier might do the trick, actually, but I'm not sure if you could kill a dual-MASB or dual-rep T3 before your drones die and your RLMLs have to reload.

MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010

mikey posted:

Your link goes to the dual MASB fit, but I assume it looks pretty much like the one I stumbled on when throwing fits against the wall the other day:

The ability to run a sustained tank that can completely shrug off 1-3 ships of a similar class is pretty cool, but that booster runs about 160m, and downgrading it loses you more tank than it saves you money. The mid-grade Crystals are about 600m, and thoroughly worth it in lowsec where the risk of loss is pretty much nil. I wouldn't fly this at all outside of lowsec. Also, I think with such a long run-time, I'd carry at least a quarter cargohold of Navy 200s to better handle neuting pressure. You can very nearly permarun the AB and booster on 200s anyway, so even half might not be a bad idea.

The ship's paper damage is definitely impressive, and like the Confessor, it's clearly very strong overall, but I'm still not sold on the low-agility 10mn fits that are obligate point-blank brawlers from lack of grid to fit artillery. Using its speed and non-modal optimal bonus for a fast artillery kiter seems like a much better and safer application of its bonuses. It has more alphastrike than a Thrasher (~2100 with short-range faction) and it's potentially faster than any other destroyer hull (and most frigate hulls), so there's very little that can threaten it when flown defensively. I suppose people will eventually stop trying to engage fast kitey ones, and it won't be as easy to get fights with.

Solo hunting either T3 destroyer is not going to work out well, because they have too much combined tank+speed+damage. An RLML/2xBCS Rapier might do the trick, actually, but I'm not sure if you could kill a dual-MASB or dual-rep T3 before your drones die and your RLMLs have to reload.

Ahh poo poo yeah. Puush not firing fast enough. This is the injector + booster fit I use. C-types are piss cheap. I'd not use crystals in null or wormholes (where I live), and I do like a DC2 thanks to the high innate resists across armor/shield, adding hull is often the difference between another injected booster > clean shield. Probe launcher is a given for wormholes, and .5 AU scans on complexes/gates and poo poo for easy warp ins. Otherwise, pretty similar. With an OH ab, in prop mode, scrammed + webbed, it still does ~1600m/s. This is the fit our solo-superstars are using, though often using faction ABs for even more speed.

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~

mikey posted:

An RLML/2xBCS Rapier might do the trick, actually, but I'm not sure if you could kill a dual-MASB or dual-rep T3 before your drones die and your RLMLs have to reload.
15-minute attempt to expand on this idea:

It looks a bit wonky, until you consider that it can completely lock down the Confessor well outside its absolute max pulse range, and will be well past even a 1mn artillery Svipul's optimal+falloff with any threatening ammo. If you're specifically hunting kiting 1mn Svipuls, a third web might be as effective as the painter, while offering even better lockdown.

Worst-case application against either T3 with a 10mn AB is overheated in propulsion mode. Second-worst case is propulsion mode with no overheat. Defense mode, even on the Confessor, negates no damage from sig/speed regardless of overheat, but obviously offers a better overall tank for both (265ehp/s vs Explosive for that B-Type Svipul, 245ehp/s vs Thermal for the dual-rep Confessor).
Overheated, propulsion (710m/s for the Confessor, 738m/s for the Svipul):

Normal, propulsion (510m/s for the Confessor, 531m/s for the Svipul):

These are without the Crash booster. With, normal propulsion negates no damage, and overheated propulsion very little. At a ~200-400m/s delta, you have excellent range control with the occasional MWD pulse, with very little risk of over/undershoot when sitting at 22km or so. You won't need the shield booster at all unless you've made a horrible mistake, or you're fighting a 1mn 280mm Svipul, that switched to longer-range ammo, and that will die in about 20 seconds anyway.

Edit: I forgot to look at the biggest question: can it do enough damage before it has to reload? Maybe.

Assuming ~8 seconds for a Confessor to kill an unwebbed light drone and ~12 to kill a medium, you're looking at about 25k total damage (20k from missiles) in the 60 seconds before all your drones are dead and your RLMLs are empty. Considering the Confessor can't tank even half of the incoming thermal damage, that should be enough in most cases. And if it isn't enough, you can always try again after the reload, because he's not going anywhere!

mikey fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 25, 2015

MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010
Webs are absolutely vital. Wouldn't bother with paints, ditch it. Confessor has 19m sig in defensive, boosting that by 30% isn't going to make much difference in the missile damage formula. Webs are the way to kill the D3s right now, and more than 1 web at that.

Only problem I can see with that rapier, if he tanks you until your ASB needs a reload it's going to be a dicey loving reload. If you can keep them out of optimal you'll be fine, if they get there you're in trouble. Otherwise, definitely a solid idea. I'd also not heat the guns; I know it makes EFT look nice with big numbers, but an active-tank D3 will tank for some time or attempt to leave, and they have a heat bonus. If you want to play "both sides OH everything" you're going to burn out before he does. With 3 webs, the 10mn fits will be sitting at about 200m/s and the 1mn mwd about 250m/s. If you can keep them at that range you'll have them.

Apart from that, the idea has me intrigued. I'd even consider the Huginn, the cloak is meh and it has better scan/dscan immunity.

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~
I don't think you 'get' the Rapier.

1) That Confessor can, when overheated and in propulsion mode, close on that default-speed fit I posted with its MWD off at a whopping 400m/s. That Rapier fit goes 2000m/s with the MWD, with about double the agility of the Confessor in prop mode. You'd have to be a monumentally terrible pilot to get juked by something going +400m/s to -1300m/s your speed with half your agility.

2) The Rapier gets a 50% painter bonus. That painter adds +56.something% sig, which is better for application against a defense-mode Confessor than anything else you could put in that slot.
I assure you I tried many options, and all were significantly worse than the painter. Even Furies on that setup get a 34m sig radius with 215m/s velocity; faction missiles do about 10% less DPS, with 19m / 255m/s application, and are a preferred option with almost unbeatably-perfect application if you know a particular Confessor pilot has links and HG Halos or something. Expecting to easily beat the kind of Confessor that has a 20m sig with a solo ship is silly anyway, because he's not playing solo, and this setup doesn't even have links or 5% implants or an HG pirate set applied itself. Even still, Strong Crash pretty much obliterates any remaining advantage a mega-boosted Confessor would have.

3) Like I said, your XLASB is not coming into play unless you're a moron, because the Confessor cannot touch you past 20km, and you can easily kite him with two webs. Even if you're a moron and you end up tackled, your DPS+tank vs his DPS+tank is not in his favor, and the tank numbers in that screenshot are balanced resists, not your fantastic EM+Therm resists that he's hitting. Only a super-linked, implanted, strong-boosted Confessor is going to have a chance of winning a brawl against an unsupported XLASB Rapier.
e: Against laser damage, that Rapier can tank 700ehp/s for a total of 42k EHP by the time it reloads. Yeah.

mikey fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 25, 2015

MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010
No, I just look at all the possibilities. Sure, in optimal circumstances he'll never get close to you, be perma-webbed and you'll never need the XLASB. Perhaps you get lucky and get that, but you need to be prepared for when you don't is all. I did forget the paint bonus, 56% is much more attractive as a midslot.

All that taken into consideration, it's a solid idea. Try it, if you have recon V, see how it works. I've been meaning to train recons for ages, but there's always something else that I end up wanting first.

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~
I would like to, but I don't even have an active sub right now. It's tempting to resub now, but I just don't have the time, and theorycrafting is always what I enjoyed the most anyway, at least since the great speed nerf.

The Rapier is able to comfortably overheat its launchers for nearly two entire RLML reload cycles, since it only has three of them (you can even offline your cloak for an extra few overheated launcher cycles, if you really want to commit). So there's absolutely no reason not to overheat, nor to only consider unheated damage. Considering droneless damage is more relevant, since that's literally the only way the Confessor can retaliate against you if you're piloting competently and he's not trying to futilely plink at you in sniper mode.

Ii's worth mentioning that you actually want the Confessor to switch away from defense mode in this setup, since your damage through his tank will increase from about 250dps in defense to about 320dps in prop and sniper mode (until he hits 95%+ speed in OH prop, at which point you're only doing about 230dps). Baiting him to switch to sniper mode by allowing him within 16km might actually be an effective tactic, because he'll be stuck with far higher incoming damage for at least 10 seconds, and you can just MWD pulse right out of range.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
There's still the whole Rapier having a cloak thing to keep in mind. I personally like the idea of a Curse sitting on a lowsec plex gate as the ultimate gotcha.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

mikey posted:

The Rapier is able to comfortably overheat its launchers for nearly two entire RLML reload cycles, since it only has three of them (you can even offline your cloak for an extra few overheated launcher cycles, if you really want to commit). So there's absolutely no reason not to overheat, nor to only consider unheated damage.

Thanks to the insane reload time of rapid lights, quite a bit of repairing can be done while the missiles are already not shooting. If you're using rapid lights and not overheating the gently caress out of them you done goofed.

Sanzio037
Dec 9, 2013
Do the Huggin instead of the Rapier. I used to do the same thing in fw plex's, but now with c. recons not showing up on d scan the Huggin is just better for that. Add a curse and a bait/tackle boat and its a big f you.

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015

MorsAnima posted:

I was thinking about replying to your counter-argument piece by piece, but this gem here tells me you didn't even watch the vid in order to understand the reasoning behind the fits. The fits he presented were tested as solo fits, albeit he did show them with links and without links. Rather than just going "grrr PL and all the dirty blobbers" why not watch the video and then reply with some pros and cons of his fit.

CashEnsign fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 25, 2015

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Jordyn Brevik posted:

Do the Huggin instead of the Rapier. I used to do the same thing in fw plex's, but now with c. recons not showing up on d scan the Huggin is just better for that. Add a curse and a bait/tackle boat and its a big f you.

Thanks to the bullshit that is RLMLs, the Rapier is actually better than the Huginn for a lot of general combat purposes. It's only slightly less robust overall (the difference is practically a rounding error) and will do a much better job of applying its damage from a safer distance than a projectile ship with no range or tracking bonuses.

The only argument for the Huginn is that D-Scan immunity is more powerful than a cloak when it comes to FW plex shenanigans.

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~

CashEnsign posted:

Rather than just going "grrr PL and all the dirty blobbers" why not watch the video and then reply with some pros and cons of his fit.
Aside from the fact that it is actually quite good at solo arty kiting, it's also a good AF-fleet type ship. Not amazing, due to the limited range, but the damage is outstanding, and it tanks almost as well as a Harpy or Hawk under Burst reps.

Also, while I was just ranting about how unimportant damagetype and alpha were a few pages ago, when you have 2100 damage-selectable alpha with frigate tracking times 50-100 dudes in fleet, you do actually have the ability to comfortably one-shot things like Ishtars and Cerbs.

Voyager I posted:

Thanks to the bullshit that is RLMLs, the Rapier is actually better than the Huginn for a lot of general combat purposes. It's only slightly less robust overall (the difference is practically a rounding error) and will do a much better job of applying its damage from a safer distance than a projectile ship with no range or tracking bonuses.

The only argument for the Huginn is that D-Scan immunity is more powerful than a cloak when it comes to FW plex shenanigans.
I hadn't even tried to fit out a post-missile Rapier in EFT prior to today (mostly because I didn't want it to pull me back into this god-forsaken game), and holy poo poo can you get a lot of really, really applicable damage from that ship. If 5 years ago you had told me the Rapier would be putting out 500dps from a reasonable fitting with perfect frigate-level application while moving at full speed and tanking 600-800dps, I'd have laughed at you and said something about how even CCP isn't that dumb.

I haven't tried to fit out the new Huginn at all, but I imagine the artillery damage application is pretty bad unless you want to sit still and shoot at whatever you have double-webbed, pretty much like the old Rapier.
Fake edit: I just tried to put 650s and some LSEs on one, and jesus christ it doesn't even fit with an RCU II, while the Rapier has enough spare grid with RLMLs to fit an XLASB with zero fitting mods or compromises. What were they thinking here.

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

Today I joined a gently caress You Fleet.

My vexor lived six minutes, got the killing blow on a Scimitar worth probably more than 4 times as much, and thanks to goon SRP, I should even make a profit.

Yep, I can tell already I'm going to be addicted to gently caress You Fleet.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

mikey posted:

Aside from the fact that it is actually quite good at solo arty kiting, it's also a good AF-fleet type ship. Not amazing, due to the limited range, but the damage is outstanding, and it tanks almost as well as a Harpy or Hawk under Burst reps.

Also, while I was just ranting about how unimportant damagetype and alpha were a few pages ago, when you have 2100 damage-selectable alpha with frigate tracking times 50-100 dudes in fleet, you do actually have the ability to comfortably one-shot things like Ishtars and Cerbs.

I hadn't even tried to fit out a post-missile Rapier in EFT prior to today (mostly because I didn't want it to pull me back into this god-forsaken game), and holy poo poo can you get a lot of really, really applicable damage from that ship. If 5 years ago you had told me the Rapier would be putting out 500dps from a reasonable fitting with perfect frigate-level application while moving at full speed and tanking 600-800dps, I'd have laughed at you and said something about how even CCP isn't that dumb.

I haven't tried to fit out the new Huginn at all, but I imagine the artillery damage application is pretty bad unless you want to sit still and shoot at whatever you have double-webbed, pretty much like the old Rapier.
Fake edit: I just tried to put 650s and some LSEs on one, and jesus christ it doesn't even fit with an RCU II, while the Rapier has enough spare grid with RLMLs to fit an XLASB with zero fitting mods or compromises. What were they thinking here.

The fitting requirements for artillery are absolutely absurd. Its practically impossible to put them on any ship other than the muninn without needing stupid amounts of fitting mods.

inkmoth posted:

My vexor lived six minutes, got the killing blow on a Scimitar worth probably more than 4 times as much, and thanks to goon SRP, I should even make a profit.

:shobon:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

inkmoth posted:

This is the best indication of a good doctrine.

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~

grumplestiltzkin posted:

The fitting requirements for artillery are absolutely absurd. Its practically impossible to put them on any ship other than the muninn without needing stupid amounts of fitting mods.
I mean, yeah, we were just talking about this a few pages ago, but I didn't realize they had actually not touched the grid of either the Huginn or the Rapier despite the weapon swap, leaving one with overflowing grid and the other with effectively none.

That Rapier, though. Are people not flying the poo poo out of this ship right now? The cloak may not help for FW complexes, but it still lets you choose your fights everywhere else, and helps to keep an uncomfortably expensive setup and implant set alive in nullsec.

Sixx Spades
Aug 16, 2013

At the Madison meet, I promised CrispElite (yes he showed up) that the next time he visits Deklein, he'll see me in a Machariel. The opportunity presented itself today when BL showed up with a Cynabal fleet and blap blap blap blap blap. Theta Homeland Defense is fun.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

mikey posted:

I mean, yeah, we were just talking about this a few pages ago, but I didn't realize they had actually not touched the grid of either the Huginn or the Rapier despite the weapon swap, leaving one with overflowing grid and the other with effectively none.

That Rapier, though. Are people not flying the poo poo out of this ship right now? The cloak may not help for FW complexes, but it still lets you choose your fights everywhere else, and helps to keep an uncomfortably expensive setup and implant set alive in nullsec.

I've got a rapier in raha that I've been meaning to refit for roams. Once the 1st rolls around and I can file for srp again I'll probably do that.

edit: hi atrum:peanut:

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

edit: Duh im dumb disregard

Spaceman Future! fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Feb 25, 2015

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Spaceman Future! posted:

Im really confused. I unslept my account, confirmed im in the [GS] Goonfleet group, applied to rejoin goonwaffe and my application for Tranquil Vengence got rejected. Should I be applying someplace else?

Did you:

-Add your EVE apis here: https://auth.goonfleet.com/manage/
-Checkbox and hit register on the characters you are applying in-game to the corp with here: https://auth.goonfleet.com/alts/

?

If yes and you still got rejected, see if the rejection came with a message why. If you did the above and there was no note, email newbies@goonfleet.com and wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

mikey posted:

The cloak may be more of a hindrance than a help actually, at least as a solo ship. A rapier is looking for frigs & destroyers to pick on, right? But between the targeting delay coming out of cloak and the very average cruiser scanres, they have a lot of time to warp away. 8-10 seconds for the most part.

Meanwhile you're in a very fragile ship that is in serious trouble if it turns out that your target has a friend, and costs as much as a much better general-purpose ship like a cynabal or HAC.

Anyways I think you're right that long range webs are the perfect counter to T3Ds fit with oversize ABs. People running lowsec frig gangs need to throw in a keres.

• Locked thread