Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Musluk
May 23, 2011

grimcreaper posted:

Maybe he should have wished for a better poster to mock his wish.

better posters don't read the starbound thread tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Musluk posted:

better posters don't read the starbound thread tho

Touche. You are among the best posters in this thread sir. May the forum lords continue to smile on your posts.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

I got grimcreap'd in my rear end and mouth.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
grimcreaper is.. starbound??

Psygnosis
Jul 30, 2003

Whats with the earthbound dialogue box?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Psygnosis posted:

Whats with the earthbound dialogue box?
http://billeager.com/ebtext/
There's a goldmined thread full of them.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Yeah why is the Earthbound dialogue box being used in the Starbound thread. Earthbound in Starbound. Earthbound. Starbound.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."
https://twitter.com/Tiyuri/status/570293107255865344/photo/1

Well ain't this something.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

The missing head from the other gate is on that thing. Looks like... a giant eye?

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
:aaaaa:

My first thought was Flying Spaghetti Monster.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TheSpookyDanger posted:

I got grimcreap'd in my rear end and mouth.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Grimcrepe mmmmm

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

The missing head from the other gate is on that thing. Looks like... a giant eye?

Its actually the players anus. You get to insert a Starbound into it at some point. And then your mouth apparently. In that order specifically.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

grimcreaper posted:

Its actually the players anus. You get to insert a Starbound into it at some point. And then your mouth apparently. In that order specifically.

thats good

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Thats actually really neat looking, even with your own characters anus on the portal now. Im glad Starbound has good artists and devs otherwise we wouldnt get this much awesome in 1 screenshot. Now all it needs is a Cl4p-TP voice over and some skrillix tracks to be beautiful.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Surely this will make this game good, I can feel it.

Yes.

I can feel it.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Afraid of Audio posted:

...I can feel it.

Yes.

I can feel it.

Is this a bum joke?

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I feel like what this game needs is a version of the ME-system from the applied energistics mod for Minecraft. The me-system gives you a single searchable interface for all your storage which you can expand nearly infinitely by adding hard drives (which are resource intensive to make). Seeing as by far my least favorite part of the game is sorting things into chests and trying to find the chest that has the thing I want, this would be a huge quality of life improvement.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Talorat posted:

I feel like what this game needs is a version of the ME-system from the applied energistics mod for Minecraft. The me-system gives you a single searchable interface for all your storage which you can expand nearly infinitely by adding hard drives (which are resource intensive to make). Seeing as by far my least favorite part of the game is sorting things into chests and trying to find the chest that has the thing I want, this would be a huge quality of life improvement.

There is a chest sorter mod, but yes.

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator
So, I'm terrible at maintaining this server because I forget it exists.

If there's someone with at least moderate experience with linux, and cares to maintain/update/run it, I'll give you access to it.

Chances are slim, but hey, it's there. I don't mind donating.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Afraid of Audio posted:

Surely this will make this game good, I can feel it.

Yes.

I can feel it.

Dave, my fun is going...

I can feel it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

But every time you post, you're here in the thread, like the game coming out, oh, I just know that something good is going to happen, and I don't know when, but just saying it could even make it happen.

Edit:

I hid my copy, in the bottom of my steam library, I can't hide the thread, from the games forum, oh, God, Chucklefish,I won't forget.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Feb 25, 2015

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

My instructor was Mr. Langley, and he taught me to develop a game. If you'd like to play it I can design it for you.

Yes, I'd like to play it, TIY. Design it for me.

It's called "Starbound".

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Musluk posted:

Welp, should've wished for a better game.

Listen, there's the scream of a tiny person right now.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

boo_radley posted:

Listen, there's the scream of a tiny person right now.

:drat:

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
New blog post about all of the stuff they're working on: http://playstarbound.com/february-24th-a-busy-week-of-dev-time/
  • Better NPC pathfinding
  • Planet bookmarks
  • Remote teleporters
  • Combat improvements, specifically making your melee swing near instant
  • Pets
  • Possible server improvements
I'm most interested in bookmarks and teleporters. That's what's really keeping me from exploring as much as I want. It's a giant hassle to travel between familiar places or keep track of them.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
they are making me more interested in this game again

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i wish starbound was a dick

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I kind of wish they'd just do one more universe wipe and make each platform have the same co-ordinates.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

I had some fun with the game recently but that big list of things they're working on doesn't include making it not have terrible frame rate issues, so I'm grumpy.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

Inverness posted:

• Combat improvements, specifically making your melee swing near instant
Thank loving christ.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Catts posted:

Thank loving christ.

Yeah, I basically gave up on trying to use the Two hand sword parry in a practical manner, since I could parry, and then get hit in the face before my swing came out.

Any indication of ever crafting more than the first shield, or increasing their regen speeds? Because even 200+ HP shields just shatter like glass trying to block monster multihit projectiles (while tanking a near infinite amount of NPC gunfire a moment before).

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
http://playstarbound.com/march-2nd-developing-the-economy/

some dumbass posted:

As an aside, I got some reprieve from all the object pricing today to make some minor updates to the outpost. There is now a crafting room on the outpost that has all the basic crafting stations, for those situations where you happen to already have the ingredients you need to complete a quest. Perhaps of greater significance is the addition of a teleporter inside the outpost, which you’ll be able to link directly to your own teleporters as part of our new placeable teleporter implementation. These changes should hopefully alleviate the tedium of traveling to and from the outpost.

Those are a couple of real good changes.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

:toot: Those are awesome changes. I am curious, though, about how an economy is going to work when you can, mission dungeons-aside, take anything you want from anywhere.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

XboxPants posted:

Those are a couple of real good changes.
Maybe, but with the edgy way you quoted him, I was expecting them to be disagreeable.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

No jokes allowed in the something awful starbound thread.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

:toot: Those are awesome changes. I am curious, though, about how an economy is going to work when you can, mission dungeons-aside, take anything you want from anywhere.

It sounds like looting entire dungeons will in fact be a large part of the economy. Different factors like dungeon tier and rarity play a factor in how valuable those objects are. So, like, a basic background bookcase or closet that you might find a dozen of in any tier-1 friendly dungeon won't be worth very much (the flipside is they're cheap for you to replicate). Something else, like a huge statue that only spawns very rarely in the highest tier of Floran dungeons, would be worth a lot more money.

So if you wanna go tomb raiding and spend time searching for dungeons, and then risk fighting the inhabitants/obstacles inside to steal their poo poo and make your money that way, that's a totally viable route to take. At least, that's the theory.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

He made a lot of noise about balancing printer costs, but I didn't see anything mentioning scanning costs. I can only hope it was a blanket statement and they're under scrutiny too, because it sucks going broke every time you want to expand your OCD catalog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

I don't want expecations to get too high, but let's just say I'm bound to star in this game. Keep an eye out

• Locked thread