Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I said come in! posted:

How do power ups in Mario Kart 8 work? It's frustrating going through the single player and feeling like the game actively punishes you for doing good.

You get shittier powerups the closer to the front you are, if that's what you're asking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

To be fair, if you're in 1st, you're not dealing with the active warzone that encompasses 2nd-12th place. Holy moly are items flying every which way back there.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

raditts posted:

You get shittier powerups the closer to the front you are, if that's what you're asking.

Okay that's kinda what I suspected the case was but I didn't understand that.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Started playing Mario Kart 8 the other day myself and that was my experience too. I hadn't even finished two cups before I had grown tired of getting knocked out of 1st on the final 10% of a race.

Having not really played any Mario Kart since 64, I was kinda hoping they had wisened up about that, but...

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

KennyMan666 posted:

Started playing Mario Kart 8 the other day myself and that was my experience too. I hadn't even finished two cups before I had grown tired of getting knocked out of 1st on the final 10% of a race.

Having not really played any Mario Kart since 64, I was kinda hoping they had wisened up about that, but...

Yeah against the AI is incredibly frustrating. I know for a lot of fans this is how Mario Kart is suppose to be, but I just don't get it myself. I have way more fun with online play. Against other people it doesn't feel like calculated bullshit. Multiplayer is where this game is the most fun.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Get good, scrubs

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Once you know the courses and get really good it's basically impossible for the CPU to win even if they get multiple blue shells

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

KennyMan666 posted:

They kinda did. You can get a lovely item (like a green shell) and just put it behind you for the end of the race. That way you have something to protect you from red shells, other green shells etc. You can still get hit with bombs etc etc. However, there's also the red box thing that blasts things away. Your time has to be somewhat okay for it to work when a red shell is coming your way, but it blasts everything away, including blue shells.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

If you dislike Mario Kart 8 screwing you out of wins with chintzy items, do not play Mario Kart Wii. Ever.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Narcissus1916 posted:

If you dislike Mario Kart 8 screwing you out of wins with chintzy items, do not play Mario Kart Wii. Ever.

Still a gigantic step up from Mario Kart DS where the online was nothing but cheating.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Learn to use items defensively and learn the courses and you can nearly always beat the AI. 1st place actually has it really easy in Mario Kart 8 compared to being in the middle of the pack.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

I said come in! posted:

Still a gigantic step up from Mario Kart DS where the online was nothing but cheating.

um excuse me, snaking is not cheating nINTENDO PUT IT IN THE GAME

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

noirstronaut posted:

Wasn't gameplay mechanics, homebrew hit the DS at that time and everyone had a cheat trainer installed on their DS.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When did Nintendo start doing adverts on the Wii U pad when its in idle mode ?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
A while ago. You agreed to it.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Mario Kart 8 is simultaneously better and worse when it comes to items. Better because you seem to get screwed less by blue shells and the like when you're in first, but worse because they added coins and it's extremely common to get coins 3+ times in a row when you're in first, even if you've already maxed out your coins. Coins coins coins coins

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

I figured out snaking on my own because I just wanted to do well in the hardest races with my best friend Dry Bones. I was very upset when I found out how despised it was

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Ruggington posted:

I figured out snaking on my own because I just wanted to do well in the hardest races with my best friend Dry Bones. I was very upset when I found out how despised it was

I miss Dry Bones.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Abu Dave posted:

You can opt out of those in the system settings somewhere. They started up maybe 8 months ago?

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
There seems to be no rubber band AI once you get a decent enough lead in Mario Kart 8. Even if you get hit with 2 blue shells for the last 20% of the race you should have a large enough lead anyway for it not to matter. Basically...

A Big... Dog posted:

Get good, scrubs

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

When is the next Mario Kart DLC due anyways?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Vintersorg posted:

When is the next Mario Kart DLC due anyways?

May.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

elf help book posted:

I miss Dry Bones.

Dry Bowser is absolutely NOT a substitute

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Narcissus1916 posted:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

This could happen in 8, they didn't have a big enough lead and got swallowed by the pack. I wish they would release more courses for 8 after the 2nd dlc. I want to play GBA Bowser Castle 3 online again.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Spacebump posted:

This could happen in 8, they didn't have a big enough lead and got swallowed by the pack. I wish they would release more courses for 8 after the 2nd dlc. I want to play GBA Bowser Castle 3 online again.

Unfortunately, occurrences like that were really common in Wii. It can happen in 8, but it happens a lot less often than Wii.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
At least the AI doesn't actively cheat when you're not looking at them like in MK64.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

KennyMan666 posted:

Sometimes I think I'm the only one who liked Twilight Princess far, far more than Wind Waker.

Also, Hyrule Warriors is fun. Did the Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess stages in Legend Mode today and goddamn both Fi and Midna are great fun to play. I hated Fi in Skyward Sword for being basically a combination of the worst parts of Navi and Alia, but playing her in HW was awesome. That dash attack combo was great crowd control. Game wanted me to use a lightning weapon for the second TP map but Lana has been the most boring character to play so far and I had the option to play Midna so it was kind of a no-brainer there.

I barely remember the content of Twilight princess except that you start on a forest, there's a bridge at one point and you end running on top of a giant castle that's falling apart, but i don't remember not liking it.

Wind Waker though, i remember most of and thought it was quite tedious. It would have been great if not for all of the sailing. It just felt like so much empty padding between adventuring.

I'm keen to get the HD version though just because i think that now I'm older I'll be a bit more forgiving of the tedious bits.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Are there any sort of hints at all about what the DLC packs after the May DLC pack are gonna be

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Abu Dave posted:

You literally had to press a button that said you agreed to be shown ads while the gamepad is idle.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Spacebump posted:

But the thing is, Mario Kart Wii hated velocity and its speedy ways. If you bump a wall, you lose all momentum. If you hit a banana, you lose all momentum. If you fall off of a cliff or got hit by any shell, you would spend the next three seconds being pulled back into the race for the former or flailing your arms for the latter, and then lose all momentum. A situation like that gif can happen in 8, but when you get wrecked, you don't get wrecked nearly as hard and as frequently as in Wii.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

epitasis posted:

Are there any sort of hints at all about what the DLC packs after the May DLC pack are gonna be

Kirby pack, Metroid pack, Star Fox pack, Pokemon pack

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

epitasis posted:

They haven't even suggested there will be any more DLC packs after that one.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I will not rest until I can put grumpy Ganondorf in a go kart.

noirstronaut posted:

That Grill Off game. It has a trailer with a dude in a suit.

Thanks for your suggestion but I will stick with punching the chocolate bars out of Doc Louis.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Oh, I was suggesting it. Just saying it's there.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
A Kirby/Captain Toad DLC is the only thing I feel MK8 could really use. Captain Toad because producers already support the character and Kirby because Kirby's Air Ride or whatever. I basically just want a claymation-style racing level, something based on Green Greens, and a DeDeDe castle.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

BottledBodhisvata posted:

A Kirby/Captain Toad DLC is the only thing I feel MK8 could really use.

The only thing MK8 needs is Block Fort. A $10 "All You Get Is Block Fort" DLC would be well worth it. Come on nintendo invite me into your offices, point me to the level design software of your choice, select the Cube tool for me, and I'll make Block Fort for you

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Polo-Rican posted:

The only thing MK8 needs is Block Fort. A $10 "All You Get Is Block Fort" DLC would be well worth it. Come on nintendo invite me into your offices, point me to the level design software of your choice, select the Cube tool for me, and I'll make Block Fort for you

It's crazy that MK8 Battle Mode would literally be better if it just booted an online enabled version of MK64 Battle Mode.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Spacebump posted:

It's crazy that MK8 Battle Mode would literally be better if it just booted an online enabled version of MK64 Battle Mode.

This is beyond not true. 12 player battle mode owns, and sure some arenas would help keep people more closed in, but at least its not slow mo bullshit that was MK64. Holy poo poo was MK64 battle mode such a let down after SMK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

ChaosArgate posted:

To be fair, if you're in 1st, you're not dealing with the active warzone that encompasses 2nd-12th place. Holy moly are items flying every which way back there.

Not until the finish line is within view, at which point you will be hit with everything from everyone at the same time and wind up in 6th or 7th.

Or basically this, I have had almost this exact experience a couple of times playing MK8 online.

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 24, 2015

• Locked thread