Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
The players enter the ruined temple to find the elf noble Holly Mont, who has gone insane from centuries of isolation. 'There are three secret doors in this room!' he proclaims, sweeping his arms around as if indicating their location (if there are elves in the party, they may automatically discover them without a roll). 'Behind one of these doors is an incredible treasure, while the other two doors hold an epic struggle for life and death! Which door do you select?'

Upon selecting a door, Holly will nod approvingly. 'A wise choice! But would you make the same decision, if you knew what this door held?' as he throws open a different door. The DM rolls a d6 to reveal cages filled with creatures according to the following table: 1-2: fourteen skeletons, 3-4: seven orcs, 5-6: one manticore. Holly will continue to speak, saying 'Do you wish to continue with your original choice? Or would you be willing to risk it all on both of the other doors at the same time?'

Once the party has chosen either one door or two, roll on the above table until the appropriate enemies have been selected, rerolling if a duplicate would be chosen. If any players attempt to leave without selecting a door, or flee after having selected a door but without having defeated their opponents, they fall in a spike trap and die (no save). If they would assault Holly Mont, he opens all three doors, simultaneously releasing all creatures. The creatures have been driven insane by their treatment at Holly Mont's hands, and cannot be reasoned with. They will attempt to devour any person present with the exception of Holly Mont himself. Once the players have defeated their chosen opponents they are allowed to leave peacefully, and Holly Mont will refuse to open any further doors, even if assaulted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

isndl posted:

The players enter the ruined temple to find the elf noble Holly Mont, who has gone insane from centuries of isolation. 'There are three secret doors in this room!' he proclaims, sweeping his arms around as if indicating their location (if there are elves in the party, they may automatically discover them without a roll). 'Behind one of these doors is an incredible treasure, while the other two doors hold an epic struggle for life and death! Which door do you select?'

Upon selecting a door, Holly will nod approvingly. 'A wise choice! But would you make the same decision, if you knew what this door held?' as he throws open a different door. The DM rolls a d6 to reveal cages filled with creatures according to the following table: 1-2: fourteen skeletons, 3-4: seven orcs, 5-6: one manticore. Holly will continue to speak, saying 'Do you wish to continue with your original choice? Or would you be willing to risk it all on both of the other doors at the same time?'

Once the party has chosen either one door or two, roll on the above table until the appropriate enemies have been selected, rerolling if a duplicate would be chosen. If any players attempt to leave without selecting a door, or flee after having selected a door but without having defeated their opponents, they fall in a spike trap and die (no save). If they would assault Holly Mont, he opens all three doors, simultaneously releasing all creatures. The creatures have been driven insane by their treatment at Holly Mont's hands, and cannot be reasoned with. They will attempt to devour any person present with the exception of Holly Mont himself. Once the players have defeated their chosen opponents they are allowed to leave peacefully, and Holly Mont will refuse to open any further doors, even if assaulted.

This would be better once they release the Vos Savant subclass of wizard.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Anyone read the Tyranny of Dragons comic by IDW? Comixology tossed them on sale 50% off.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Trast posted:

Anyone read the Tyranny of Dragons comic by IDW? Comixology tossed them on sale 50% off.

You mean the Minsc comic? I have heard they are pretty good. But I have not checked them out myself.

Edit:Given that their only a dollar each right now I might as well check them out.

Reading them now and enjoying it. Only thing that as stood out to me is that Elves are immune to sleep and one was put to sleep in the 3rd issue.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 25, 2015

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

theironjef posted:

It's true, I made it less than a week into my D&D game before we needed to determine the size and target value status of fetuses.
Just substitute aurumvorax stats and dont tell the players.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

quote:

Setting/environment: ruined temple
Feature: secret door
Feature: hidden spiked pit
NPC: elf noble
Monster: manticore
Monster: orc(s)
Monster: skeleton(s)

One day, the PCs were playing with their friend "Spike" Staunton, a Manticore. He fires spines at them in jest, but they duck and the spines hit the pregnant Mrs. Dempster, wife of an Elf Noble. She goes into labour early and her son Paul is born a skeleton. This affects Mrs. Dempster's mind and some months later she is found sleeping with an Orc and is disgraced. When their brother Willie falls in a spiked pit while working at their father's ruined temple, Mrs. Dempster prays for him and miraculously a secret door opens containing a potion of healing that saves Willie's life. This begins a journey in which Paul the Skeleton becomes a famous wizard, Spike Staunton becomes a philandering politician, and the PCs eventually realize that they are just side players in the DM's story.

Am I doing this right?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

Only thing that as stood out to me is that Elves are immune to sleep and one was put to sleep in the 3rd issue.

Elves are immune to sleep? As in the sleep spell?

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Feb 25, 2015

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
Yep

quote:

Fey Ancestry: You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can’t put you to sleep.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Huh. Didn't remember that it was still a thing. I guess it's traditional, but it's something that's literally never come up for me in a game.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

AlphaDog posted:

Huh. Didn't remember that it was still a thing. I guess it's traditional, but it's something that's literally never come up for me in a game.

One of the campaigns I was in during the playtest had a couple encounters pretty much defined by the elvish racial traits. Cultists with charm powers? Entire party was elves, didn't give a poo poo (flat immunity back then too, it was nerfed later). Monk getting swarmed? Thanks for bunching up, here comes the Sleep.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
Speaking of weird elven racial traits, are they still immune to paralysis from ghouls?

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Red Metal posted:

Speaking of weird elven racial traits, are they still immune to paralysis from ghouls?

Yes. It states in the ghoul's stat-block that all creatures other than undead and elves are affected by their paralysis.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
Elves used to be unaffected by Raise Dead as well, but of course that particular tradition didn't make the cut. Gosh I wonder why.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Because it turns out the afterlife doesn't want elves either.

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

GOD SPEED YOU! HUNGRY MEXICAN

Trast posted:

It's by the dude who writes Skullkickers and the Pathfinder comic, Zub. It's pretty good, much like most of his works!

Power Player fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 25, 2015

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

Because it turns out the afterlife doesn't want elves either.

Elves don't have an afterlife, they have an après-troisième-âge.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Power Player posted:

It's by the dude who writes Skullkickers and the Pathfinder comic, Zub. It's pretty good, much like most of his works!
Minsc was hilarious, but otherwise I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as Fell's Five. :( And were these the only four issues?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

Minsc was hilarious, but otherwise I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as Fell's Five. :( And were these the only four issues?

I really wish there were more Fell's Five.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

homullus posted:

Yep. It was pretty much brilliant from the word, "Go."

My own favorite. I'll always love it for these three frames.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

dwarf74 posted:

They're apparently adding Minsc and Boo as NPCs in the Neverwinter MMO, so, there's that I guess?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Kurieg posted:

They're apparently adding Minsc and Boo as NPCs in the Neverwinter MMO, so, there's that I guess?

D&D: "There's no ideas like old ideas!"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

homullus posted:

D&D: "There's no ideas but old ideas!"

You misquoted there.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
I can't tell whats worse about D&D Next, the large influx of creepy weirdos with house rules for how to target fetuses or the large influx of creepy weirdos complaining that their DM is cheating them out of the value of their harvested lizard dicks.

But then I realize its ultimately the fault of Wizards for making a game designed to appeal to creepy weirdos. And I realize that this truly is the worse hobby.

But then someone like goatface posts amazing adventure ideas and I see a glimpse of a glimmer of hope which still remains.

I am stuck DMing D&D Next because our group committed to tough it out until level 11 and we are, in retrospect, idiots. We are currently at 7, going on 8. So at least my emancipation is soon at hand.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Laphroaig posted:

I can't tell whats worse about D&D Next, the large influx of creepy weirdos with house rules for how to target fetuses or the large influx of creepy weirdos complaining that their DM is cheating them out of the value of their harvested lizard dicks.

But then I realize its ultimately the fault of Wizards for making a game designed to appeal to creepy weirdos. And I realize that this truly is the worse hobby.

But then someone like goatface posts amazing adventure ideas and I see a glimpse of a glimmer of hope which still remains.

I am stuck DMing D&D Next because our group committed to tough it out until level 11 and we are, in retrospect, idiots. We are currently at 7, going on 8. So at least my emancipation is soon at hand.

You guys find a magic portal, on the other side appear to be your characters having fun in a better game system, and you note that they lack pouches full of rancid man-lizard genitals, such as those that have been weighing you down. Dare you enter this magical realm? Oh also there's a magic ring in front of the portal that turns the lucky person who touches it level 11 and then also anyone near him at that time.

Realistically though it's not that 5e is written for creeps. Creeps just naturally need a bunch of nearby people to be awful at, and so they congregate towards the more populated games. Note that is is specifically the viviparous crested creep, whereas it's cousin, the reticulated whooping creep, prefers to build deep complex nests in an old crazy game system, often at that one weird table in the back of the store.

ScaryJen
Jan 27, 2008

Keepin' it classy.
College Slice
I'll admit, I'm tempted to submit an adventure because I like writing adventures, but holy hell the DMG is not good. There's a whole chapter of vampire murder mystery bullshit vs building a good villain with believable motivation, and a loving table to roll what specific and graphic/gory methods they use to inflict suffering. I mean, I get they're not aiming at a 10+ audience anymore, but where is the adventure? The excitement? The heroism?

While it would be nice to see some new material and campaign settings, I think more than anything they're getting away from the original spirit of the game itself. Better writing and understanding of storytelling on the designers' parts would help the game immensely. All the material I've read in 5th edition feels like daisy chained copy-pastes of old Dragon articles.

Not to break the mood: Exiled elven necromancer is exterminating orcs to raise as a skeletal army. The elf monarch hires the adventurers to murder said necromancer, but only after he razes the main orc camp to the north in the next fortnight. Reward: Choice of trained pet manticore or magical leather armor. Necromancer carries a spike pit in a bag of holding and a portable hole that is glamoured to look like a door. Did I get it all in there?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

dwarf74 posted:

There is more coming.

Edit: Unless your talking about more Fell's Five coming.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 25, 2015

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

homullus posted:

dwarf74 posted:

Yep. It was pretty much brilliant from the word, "Go."

My own favorite. I'll always love it for these three frames.

Read Rat Queens, it's basically this only better.

Hell, the whole thread should read Rat Queens it's amazing.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Demon Knights is also an excellent fantasy romp even if it uses DCU characters

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

thespaceinvader posted:

I picked up the Fell's Five collections and they are great. Also I'm seconding Rat Queens it's in the same spirit and very entertaining. Demon Knights was pretty fun too so of course DC shitcanned it. :v:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

Thank you very much for this recommendation, this is totally what I needed today.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Rat Queens is quite good, but I'd hardly say it's the same thing. The D&D comic was designed to match the tone and banter of most lighthearted D&D groups, and it does that really well; Most of us have played with or as a character who'd say pretty much all the poo poo one of the characters in the comic says. Rat Queens is more deliberately breaking through that "what would I be comfortable doing in a real D&D group" barrier and having all the characters talk about sex (both gay and straight), do lots of drugs, and other poo poo cranked up to 11.

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

SUCKING DICKS AND SQUEEZING TITTIES
You obviously haven't been at some of the tables I've sat at.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Rat Queens is quite good, but I'd hardly say it's the same thing. The D&D comic was designed to match the tone and banter of most lighthearted D&D groups, and it does that really well; Most of us have played with or as a character who'd say pretty much all the poo poo one of the characters in the comic says. Rat Queens is more deliberately breaking through that "what would I be comfortable doing in a real D&D group" barrier and having all the characters talk about sex (both gay and straight), do lots of drugs, and other poo poo cranked up to 11.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I found every character in Rat Queens quite painfully unlikeable.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

thespaceinvader posted:

They are very different in tone.

I wish I could have both really, they're both so good.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

dirtycajun posted:

You obviously haven't been at some of the tables I've sat at.

Yeah, maybe we're just a sophomoric bunch, by my group basically turns every campaign* into a series of gags about fantastical hookups and drug abuse.

*Except Dark Sun, that one became a series of gags about thri-kreen cuisine, giving us the immortal catch-phrases: blood/kidnap sack, jerk cave, and double ribs.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Countblanc posted:

Fr my money, Rat Queens is what adventuring parties are actually like, in-world. The D&D comic is what adventuring parties are like, when players play them. I prefer the former, because generally, IME, PCs are boring as gently caress, and whilst I don't particularly want to talk about sex and relationships with my D&D group (call me a prude, whatever) I don't mind reading about them.

I also really liked Rat Queens because it starred a bunch of strong female characters who are unflinchingly presented as on a level with, if not better than, the male ones.

Plus it's funny.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gort posted:

Hold the gently caress up. Nobody talks that way about Orc Dave.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

The Crotch posted:

Hold the gently caress up. Nobody talks that way about Orc Dave.

OK yeah. He was pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Gort posted:

The Orc is pretty dam likeable in the one off comic that she got.