Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Diplomat - alternate endings based on how you did and challenges would be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That's not the kind of loss condition I'm thinking of really. More like, say, every four weeks the monsters all get another hit point. Just some kind of incremental clock so that you have to stop farting around at some point and move the quest lines forward.

I was suggesting before what you could do so its like you're being pushed forward (kinda like FTL's increasing difficulty) but without a hard-fail, is you could gradually increase the lowest level of quests on offer, but also increase the level of new heroes at the stagecoach to match. Or if you wanted it to have a hard-fail, then you could require upgrades at the stagecoach to give higher and higher level heroes, and if you fall behind then you're screwed. Or even worse just don't have that.

Personally though I like the game how it is. Losing a team is painful enough, I like progress overall being permanent. The game just needs more quests and dungeons.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Talking about adding a fail state before we see the Darkest Dungeon sounds silly to me. For all we know the Darkest Dungeon will be so difficult that it's essentially impossible to beat, requires level 6 characters to even enter, and is longer than all the other dungeons combined. So take all the time you need to get into it, you will still never beat it. :getin:

Dzurlord
Nov 5, 2011
Augh that moment when you hire up a second Vestal (finally!) drop some spare cash on a couple key skills for her...

...and then forget to equip them before you send that group into the Weald.

gently caress. At least the person who bit it on that run was basically my worst, most disease-ridden Bounty Hunter and I was not sad to see him go.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dzurlord posted:

Augh that moment when you hire up a second Vestal (finally!) drop some spare cash on a couple key skills for her...

...and then forget to equip them before you send that group into the Weald.

gently caress. At least the person who bit it on that run was basically my worst, most disease-ridden Bounty Hunter and I was not sad to see him go.

You can still equip skills in dungeon as long as you aren't in-combat. Just click on 'em.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

You can still equip skills in dungeon as long as you aren't in-combat. Just click on 'em.

Holy crap, I am a dumbfuck. I have like 15 level 6 characters and never realized that. Re-skilling for bosses would've been so convenient so many times.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wow I had no idea you could re-skill while on a mission, that's crazy.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Wow I had no idea you could re-skill while on a mission, that's crazy.

Also you can reorder your skill buttons by unchecking all skills and then re-checking them in the order you want them to appear on the bar. #dungeonhacks

Dzurlord
Nov 5, 2011

Holy poo poo it's a Christmas miracle.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I don't understand why people are so crabby about some of us wanting an optional fail state mode. I like this kind of game to have an imperative and the chance to start over from absolute zero. :shrug: I put about ten hours into it and stopped because, until it's completed, there's no reason for me to play the same content over and over with no possibility of game over.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

gigawhite posted:

I don't understand why people are so crabby about some of us wanting an optional fail state mode. I like this kind of game to have an imperative and the chance to start over from absolute zero. :shrug: I put about ten hours into it and stopped because, until it's completed, there's no reason for me to play the same content over and over with no possibility of game over.

Uh I don't think anyone in this thread would have an issue with that if it was optional.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

People aren't crabby about you wanting an optional fail state. People are crabby because about 90% of the time it is presented as "the game needs a fail state as standard", which isn't really a universally held opinion.

What are people's thoughts on building upgrades? I find the reduced cost bits to be a bit boring and find they contribute to the issue of later game not having to really manage resources (like my main save I have something like 150k gold). It'd be pretty interesting to have something else instead, and maybe work in a branching upgrade path for buildings.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

gigawhite posted:

No one who has suggested it has used the word optional, and/or no one opposes it if it is optional.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dzurlord posted:

Holy poo poo it's a Christmas miracle.

It's that kind of high-power fancytip that makes my Guides so highly rated on Steam!

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Am I the only one who is happy about getting to the point where I'm about finished upgrading buildings? I'm only 40 some weeks in, but am enjoying having the resources to manage my full roster while buying trinkets.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ZypherIM posted:

What are people's thoughts on building upgrades? I find the reduced cost bits to be a bit boring and find they contribute to the issue of later game not having to really manage resources (like my main save I have something like 150k gold). It'd be pretty interesting to have something else instead, and maybe work in a branching upgrade path for buildings.

I wish the cost of upgrades scaled up further, at its current rate it's pretty easy to max out the buildings if you are a decent Darkest Dungeon player, if the cost to upgrade say past the 2 spots per stress relief spot scaled up much higher than it might slow down players a bit. I also find it kind of odd that level 4 characters can have level 5 skills and gear. The only building I wish cost less to upgrade is the survival tent.

I'm not sure how they'd add more/different upgrades though, the buildings are very straightforward. I've seen it posted on here and on the DD forums about town events being implemented at some point, and I have a feeling what will happen is buildings will get "destroyed" and be downgraded and will have to be upgraded again which will change things quite a bit. That might be all the town really needs.

UI improvements would be nice, I hate the team roster scrolling thing, the trinket menu seeds a sorting function, and I wish I could see the town and the dungeon map at the same time so I could plan a bit easier. These are all very minor though and I expect some of them to change over time as we approach full release. My hope is that in the next week or two a major patch will hit that includes The Cove, a new class or two, and some Quality of Life improvements.

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

Am I the only one who is happy about getting to the point where I'm about finished upgrading buildings? I'm only 40 some weeks in, but am enjoying having the resources to manage my full roster while buying trinkets.

I've only played one save file and it took me around 75 weeks to max everything out. I think even at 75 weeks that might have been too quick/easy. I love having maxed buildings though, now if all my guys just had Amateur Armor and Weapon making!

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I'm about 40 weeks in and I'm nowhere near close to maxing out the buildings. I've also never had to retreat from a dungeon and have only lost maybe 2 characters. I haven't been minmaxing dark runs, though, so maybe that's why.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I've got a Hellion with 'Hatred of Mankind' and 'Hatred of Beasts' quirks, does that mean she really really hates pigmen?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I've got a Hellion with 'Hatred of Mankind' and 'Hatred of Beasts' quirks, does that mean she really really hates pigmen?

That's a hot quirk combo.

Count Mippipopolous
Apr 10, 2008

Best combo is Gambler/Bad Gambler.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Angry Diplomat posted:

Dedicated gunslinger Highwaymen are nuts once you give them the right trinkets and get them infected with Rabies. In my game, I like to put Dismas in front once he has Clean Guns active, and he routinely obliterates fairly tough monsters with a first-turn Point-Blank Shot. If he crits he'll easily brutalize even size 2 miniboss monsters to the point that the other party members can usually mop them up before the end of the turn.

Grave Robbers are really good all around, but for some reason they always seem to die for me. I'm probably not using them right.

I cannot, for the life of me get a Jester above level four without them getting murdered in some stupid fashion. :smith:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
People keep comparing this to Xcom when they talk about a failure state but the big difference between this and Xcom is that losing heroes actually matters here in the immediate short term. It takes a lot of time to get someone up to level 4-5, and losing them at that point is pretty dire. In Xcom you can let your guys die as much as you want after the first few months and it probably won't matter. Troops are easily replaceable in Xcom. Everyone in DD can be replaced eventually, but it takes time. Adding some kind of incremental difficulty would make it very easy to put yourself in a failure state after losing a good team as a result.

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

Grave Robbers are really good all around, but for some reason they always seem to die for me. I'm probably not using them right.

Uh huh. In all the chat about how to make them combat monsters, the thread seems to skip over the fact that they're still a support class, whose bread and butter is scouting and disarming traps. Start them in the back row for a lunge, then get them back w/ either vanishing or moving someone ahead of them, and then don't have them lunge again until the fight's almost over. Keep them away from the front row where they're gonna take big hits. Other options for keeping them alive include stacking them w/ dodge trinkets (you still want to get the vanishing strike buff asap, in my experience), running w/ the Occultist and pulling her back after she takes big hits till you can get her back to full (the Vestal's single target healing is too slow, for me), or building the party around some crazy setup where everyone jumps in front.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
Vestal/Jester/Robber/Highwayman

Try it out, it is seriously no joke.

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 years!)

Internet Kraken posted:

In Xcom you can let your guys die as much as you want after the first few months and it probably won't matter. Troops are easily replaceable in Xcom. Everyone in DD can be replaced eventually, but it takes time. Adding some kind of incremental difficulty would make it very easy to put yourself in a failure state after losing a good team as a result.

Clearly you haven't been forced to take rookies up against muton berserkers / elites.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Time_pants posted:

Seriously. I don't understand why people want a failure state so badly. Just looking through my LP, I have something like 20 hours of gameplay, plus maybe another hour of off-camera maintenance, and I'm still maybe 3-5 hours away from taking down the level 5 dungeon bosses. The Cove adds at least, what, 5 more hours of play? Then who knows how many more the Darkest Dungeon would require. Do you really want to lose 20+ hours of work that badly just to maintain the "purity" of the roguelike classification?

Seriously, if this game had the potential to gently caress me over that badly, I just wouldn't play it. In all the time I've been playing, I've only lost 4 characters, only one of which I actually cared about, and only abandoned 3 missions. I don't think I'm bad at this game at all, but even saying that, why would you ever want to make the consequences of bad luck or poor play so steep that you could lose that much of your time investment? That absolutely baffles me.

Again, it completely goes against what the game feels like it's trying to be. "Horror! Insanity! Corrupted men and monsters! A perfectly safe town area where you can just chill, it's whatever really! Starvation! A singular strike!"

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I don't understand that comparison. You can't grind easy missions forever to replace lost soldiers in XCOM. It was actually way more heart-wrenching to lose a captain because you didn't have a grindable way to groom a new one.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
In XCOM while luck certainly has something to do with it, losing a dude is probably going to be something you could have reduced the risk of at least. DD it's mostly RNG.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Apple2o posted:

Clearly you haven't been forced to take rookies up against muton berserkers / elites.

Not talking about Xcom:EU. Still even in EU the game is designed in a way so that the situation you described should never happen if you play halfway competently. Unlike Darkest Dungeon, Xcom:EU has mechanics in place to make training new soldiers easier. You can buy upgrades that make them come at a higher level and also gain exp faster. Also, even the most basic rookie can still equip higher tier equipment and items to improve their survivability and combat effectiveness. Rookies in DD can't do poo poo until they get levels and improve their skills/gear.

gigawhite posted:

I don't understand that comparison. You can't grind easy missions forever to replace lost soldiers in XCOM. It was actually way more heart-wrenching to lose a captain because you didn't have a grindable way to groom a new one.

People are talking about creating a situation in which you cannot grind up new guys though.

EDIT: I'm not even sure why people think the infinite grinding poses a difficulty problem though. Right now, a hero effectively reaches their strength cap at level 5. Grinding past that point gives you basically nothing. If the endgame dungeons are intended for level 5 difficulty then things would be fine. Right now, the endgame is just too easy.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 25, 2015

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Anatharon posted:

Again, it completely goes against what the game feels like it's trying to be. "Horror! Insanity! Corrupted men and monsters! A perfectly safe town area where you can just chill, it's whatever really! Starvation! A singular strike!"

I don't think many people would play a game that could swallow their 20+ hour save. That is all.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

gigawhite posted:

I'd be totally on board with an optional one existing, I just don't want it to be a mandatory part of the game so I can roll with my chill eldritch horror hunting crew's punches.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I wish you could send low level dudes out on their own while you do your own mission. If that group survives, great. Even better if they survive with a good return. Also added bonus of reading about how they died horribly. Or you have a mission to go kill your zombie team.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Anatharon posted:

Just like Diablo. You can have a grimdark theme without a "we'll erase your hard drive and crucify your dog if you don't have 200 portraits by week 15" mechanic.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Count Mippipopolous posted:

Best combo is Gambler/Bad Gambler.

I got Quickdraw and Slowdraw on a Highwayman from one dive.

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Just like Diablo. You can have a grimdark theme without a "we'll erase your hard drive and crucify your dog if you don't have 200 portraits by week 15" mechanic.

Diablo doesn't attempt to say the game is hard. Right now the biggest hurdle to winning is similar though, just boredom.

I do not believe a failure state is needed either; you can talk about how XCOM had one, but let's be honest, less than 5% of anyone who ever played it ever saw the game over screens because losing your GI Joes/Jills was too disheartening to continue playing. The failure state in XCOM is completely irrelevant. However, I do feel like the levels themselves should be playing back at me better than they do. Ignore a dungeon for too long? gently caress you, fewer treasures until you clean it up a little. Put off attacking a boss? gently caress you, now you gotta clear it out again. Oh, you've been 20 weeks without losing anyone, huh? gently caress you, enemy parties are genning harder now.

I also feel like Deathblow resist is good at high levels but should be substantially lower at lower levels. Dudes who are fresh off the wagon should be rolling like 25-33% DB resist, tops.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 25, 2015

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
There's something vaguely amusing about a Vestal that will only relieve stress in the brothel.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Time_pants posted:

I don't think many people would play a game that could swallow their 20+ hour save. That is all.

Like XCOM? :v:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Coolguye posted:

I do not believe a failure state is needed either; you can talk about how XCOM had one, but let's be honest, less than 5% of anyone who ever played it ever saw the game over screens because losing your GI Joes/Jills was too disheartening to continue playing. The failure state in XCOM is completely irrelevant.

I wouldn't call it completely irrelevant. At least in Classic and Impossible, it forces you to do missions based on panic management rather than just rewards. The cost of failing a mission in terms of panic is also very high, so you can't just bail on every mission that goes south in the first few turns. After you finish the Alien Base though it quickly trails off into irrelevance. People say you can't grind forever in Xcom:EU but there really isn't anything stopping you from raiding barges and battle ships for as long as you want. There's just little point to doing so.

Alteisen posted:

There's something vaguely amusing about a Vestal that will only relieve stress in the brothel.

My Vestals always seemed to develop a strong desire for flagellation :whip:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Internet Kraken posted:

I wouldn't call it completely irrelevant. At least in Classic and Impossible, it forces you to do missions based on panic management rather than just rewards. The cost of failing a mission in terms of panic is also very high, so you can't just bail on every mission that goes south in the first few turns. After you finish the Alien Base though it quickly trails off into irrelevance. People say you can't grind forever in Xcom:EU but there really isn't anything stopping you from raiding barges and battle ships for as long as you want. There's just little point to doing so.

I always felt like that was one of the biggest flaws in the game.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Internet Kraken posted:

My Vestals always seemed to develop a strong desire for flagellation :whip:

I kind of wish it was still possibly to get combos like God Fearing (will only pray), and Witness (cannot pray).
My first crusader started with god fearing, and after barely limping home alone after a failed dungeon run where he watched everyone else get horribly murdered came back with witness. It was pretty fantastically appropriate and kind of an interesting backstory for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Internet Kraken posted:

I wouldn't call it completely irrelevant. At least in Classic and Impossible, it forces you to do missions based on panic management rather than just rewards. The cost of failing a mission in terms of panic is also very high, so you can't just bail on every mission that goes south in the first few turns.
Losing more than a few missions as a whole retards your progress to the point where it is infeasible to continue regardless (especially on Impossible), the 4 countries rule ignored.

Still irrelevant.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 25, 2015